Are the Vikings/Bears for real?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The records are both good/great and they have some solids wins already (mn must notably). Are these teams for real?

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If MN didn't have a kick return and a punt return they would have lost to the Lions. They have been relying a lot on special teams to win these games. The 9ers definitely had a bad game against them and took advantage of it. They're better than last year but still probably 3rd best at the most in our division. I don't get the Bears games where I'm at so other than how they stomped Dallas tonight I couldn't tell you much besides they look like they could challenge us for the division.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The records are both good/great and they have some solids wins already (mn must notably). Are these teams for real?
Last year I was nervous about the Bears after seeing how far and well they played during the 2010 season despite GB beating them at Soldier for the NFCCG.
I think some folks are just too quick to discount or not give the Bears the respect they deserve.
It's still too early to know what's going to happen. But I wouldn't be one of those proclaiming "The Bears still suck" just yet.

As for the Vikes? I don't feel as nervous about them as I do the Bears.
I dunno why. Maybe because they don't win the SB? Or the purple isn't intimidating?

Maybe we oughta humble ourselves a bit more and save the chest thumping until the post season depending on who gets into the playoffs?

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could definitely see a split in the Bears series if we don't get everything firing on all cylinders. Beating the Pack is their main goal every season and definitely shouldn't take them lightly. I wouldn't take the queens lightly either but I don't see us losing any to them unless we get jobbed by the refs again.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers aren't exactly taking the NFC North by storm, so I take the Bears and Vikings to be as much real as we are. Yes, I think that the Packers are ultimately the better team, but "ultimately" means in the end, which may never come. In the meantime, the Vikings and the Bears are winning games and are 3-1.

The Bears have a good defense, we know that very well, and Jay Cutler can be wildly inconsistent and terrible as a team leader, but when he's on he can win games. Ponder is looking much improved in his second year. Neither of them can hold a candle to Rodgers, but both teams have RBs that we don't have.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
ESPN guys are going bonkers over ponder not throwing an INT yet.....HELLO....the guy only throws for 111 yards the last game and his special teams saved their bacon. Minn is nothing special. They got lucky in the 49ers game....the sun shines on a dogs *** once in a while. The bears...lol...gimmie a break...their defense is good on the front line, their secondary is skeptic. The Bears offense is skeptic as well....forte is an injury wart, cutler is EASILY rattled with a sack or pick then its all downhill for him. Bears or vikes don't worry me at all.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bears d-line is good too me they won the cowboys game 2 t.d.s stopped watching 4th quater when I knew the boys had no chance coming back from Romo interceptions,Vikes are doing okay just feel if our o-line gets it together and our d-line can make some plays Huston will be biggest challenge if we beat them then I think we beat bears and vikes.I have to belive the pack is up to the challenge Go pack Go.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Cowboys are a fraud! the one time i cheer for their sorry butts they blow it of course. Turnovers killed Dallas it wasn't necessarily the Bears offense, luckily for us Aaron rodgers is not Tony Romo.

Reaction score
I know this is going to keep coming up, but we should be 3-1. And we've won our only division game so far.

We are the division champions right now until proven otherwise. And these teams cant tie our shoe laces right now.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If both teams keep playing decent they could still be holding on reasonably well by the half way point.
Then, all hell breaks loose for both the Vikes and the Bears.

Bears 2nd Half: Houston, @San Fran, Vikes, Seahawks, @Vikes, Green Bay, @ Arizona, Detroit

Vikes 2nd Half: @Seattle,Detroit, @Bears, @GrnBay, Bears, @St. Louis, @Houston, Grn Bay

Between division games and a tough non-division schedule I don't see either team coming out better then 4-4 and that woud be doing something and probably enough to get into the playoffs. I see a traditional Viking falloff coming though.
I see it finishing up Packers, Bears, Vikes/Detroit a toss up there.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
Honestly I think the Vikings win over the Niners was just playing a team that wasnt on their A game... The Bears are a joke...I dont care what their record depicts... as long as they have a defiant/crybaby like Cutler at the controls they arent going anyways... plus cmon' they beat the Cowpies... no biggie there... The Pack will get on a roll. I feel it coming!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's because I live in the land of purple koolaid and the big inflatable toilet (Metrodome) but I think that the Vikings are more for real than anyone thought. I'll outline my reasoning:

1) Leslie Frazier was a great defensive coordinator and coach, and in his second full season is starting to get into the groove.

2) Their new defensive coordinator is taking more chances, being more aggressive, and it's compensating for a not-so-scary secondary. However, that secondary is making lots of improvements. You don't see teams blanket Megatron the way that the Vikings did and continuously swat the ball away.

3) Mike Singletary (LB coach) is turning Chad Greenway into a certified monster. Greenway's play is inspiring all around him to play harder and better.

4) They still have Jared Allen, who may be a sack-obsessed primodonna who gives up the run, but he's still darn good pass rusher.

---- Midpoint Point --- the defensive is for real

4) Adrian Peterson is not injured. The guy still runs with power and acceleration, making big lateral cuts, and barreling through defenders for extra yards. The running game is just fine.

5) I've been a Ponder fan from the start and I believe that he's starting to figure things out as well. What's wrong with a "game manager" who doesn't turn the ball over? That's the right start and hopefully he will continue to improve. Let's not forget that beyond Harvin he doesn't have much of a receiving corps. Maybe Jerome Simpson will provide the deep threat that they need but that's unknown. Kyle Rudolph is a much-improving tight end and, coupled with John Carlson if he ever stays healthy, could be a lethal TE duo.

6) Percy Harvin is finally starting to emerge from the shadows of his 2009 season. He reminds me of how our own Randall Cobb plays. He is extremely versatile and is finally learning that proper route running can really lead to big plays.

---- Final Point -- While I still think that their offensive line needs improvement and that their OC isn't top notch, they are an improving team. That San Francisco game wasn't a fluke. I watched it beginning to end. They dominated on both lines of scrimmage and played with a fierce tenacity. Their offense is improving and as long as the coaching staff continues to get a full glass of lemonade out of only one lemon, then they are for real.

The Bears......Cutler. Enough said.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I think the Vikings win over the Niners was just playing a team that wasnt on their A game...
I don't think that you watched that game. The 49ers weren't making a ton of unforced mistakes. They got out-played, out-hussled, and out-foxed by a team that wanted it much more. You could see it in every vicious hit.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikes got up early on the 9ers and forced the 9ers out of their ground and pound first game plan. If you make Alex Smith win a game he cannot, he is only very good if he is not the focus of the defense. When they were down he was the focus and could not bring his team back. With that being said I am not scared of Minn in Lambeau but in the Metrodome I am terrified, the Pack almost lost there last year and now the Vikes are much improved.

The Bears I am scared of but I think we have their number. If it wasn't for a Jones fumble we would be 6-0 in the last 6 games against them (it might even be more I can't remember the last game against them in 2009).

Both teams are much improved and for real, more for real than the Eagles and Cardinals are.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Well I would say, just don't worry about the Vikings until the Packers have to play them. They are not much improved, the really did nothing with the DB's. That new kid Smith is going to be a bust. Ponder is just a game manager like Alex Smith. So I wouldn't worry about them for a while. ;)

BTW, if the playoffs started tomorrow, the Vikings would be the 3rd seed.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I would say, just don't worry about the Vikings until the Packers have to play them. They are not much improved, the really did nothing with the DB's. That new kid Smith is going to be a bust. Ponder is just a game manager like Alex Smith. So I wouldn't worry about them for a while. ;)

BTW, if the playoffs started tomorrow, the Vikings would be the 3rd seed.

How do you feel about your first round draft pick?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers already showed the formula to beat the Bears. The Bears have a very, very good defense and special teams. The offense, with all of their "improvements", is still bad. Cutler gets erratic as soon as he gets hit a few times. JaMarcus Webb is the worse left tackle in football. The Bears have no tight ends, Forte is banged up and Tramon Williams can take away the only weapon on the team. If you don't turn the ball over, make the Bears drive the length of the field to score and keep the ball away from Hester, you'll win.

I have no idea about the Vikings. Ponder just may be having early success before teams get tape on him and start finding ways to exploit his weaknesses. Nobody outside of AP on offense scares anybody. I'm really intrigued by the Vikings because I thought they'd be making the decision between drafting Matt Barkley or sticking with Christian Ponder.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think we should re-visit this question in 4 weeks. Once we see the records then we will all have a better idea. But realistically a lot of teams won't hit stride until weeks 5 or 6, GB could go on a tear, as with Detroit and flop the whole division. Personally, I think Minnesota is winning because teams aren't used to their looks and maybe not giving them enough respect. Bears have a decent team but I would be surprised if GB struggled winning this division, and not saying this with bias. If Minn/Chi keep this up in 4 weeks, maybe we should take them a little more seriously as North contenders. For now I am sticking with the Pack.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I'm going with the Packers are having a rough start and will have a great end of the season.

Vikings are going to flash doing well then seem pretty decent.

Bears, well they are going to implode soon.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think we should re-visit this question in 4 weeks. Once we see the records then we will all have a better idea. But realistically a lot of teams won't hit stride until weeks 5 or 6, GB could go on a tear, as with Detroit and flop the whole division. Personally, I think Minnesota is winning because teams aren't used to their looks and maybe not giving them enough respect. Bears have a decent team but I would be surprised if GB struggled winning this division, and not saying this with bias. If Minn/Chi keep this up in 4 weeks, maybe we should take them a little more seriously as North contenders. For now I am sticking with the Pack.

Like I said above I could see both of them feeling pretty good about themselves after the first half of the season and the sky falling for both thereafter. Based on the schedule anyways. Doubtful either one comes out of that alive.
Let's string them along for awhile before they assume that familiar "what the hell happened" lost look.

Members online