All Capers Threads merged

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Will you Dom Capers Haters and who want him to be fired pay attention now?????? 100% proof right here that Capers is NOT to blame at all! So of those of you who like to blame him and want him to be fired, shut up!
:rolleyes: Very mature of you. 100% proof? No, it’s not. And Capers is not to blame at all? The guy in charge of the D not to blame at all? Wow, then I guess he's the DC for life, huh?
And if you still insist that Dom is at fault, then send in your resume' to the Packers office since you obviously have more experience and can do a better job at DC than Dom can.
So no criticism of anyone in the Packers organization is allowed on fan boards? OK, be sure to take your own advice and in response to anything Packers related, post “The Packers are right”. (You have my permission to copy and paste that to save time typing.):D

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know the ol "coaches coach and players play" adage has been slung around here in defense of Dom and the reverse works as well. He doesn't get credit for good plays being made because he is not the guy in uniform making it.

Therefore, as he's not the guy in uniform making mistakes, he shouldn't be blamed for those either?

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys... you Capers supporters...I totally agree that us fans are crazy with the "fire the coach" crap. I agree that in most cases us fans are way off base. I almost never have called for a coaches head. Having said that, the fact that a few players come out "in support of" Capers does not tell us anything. It's actually amusing. When Charles Woodson played for us he went from publicly stating how fantastic Capers was and what a genius he was, to saying he was killing them and ruining the defense, back to saying what a genius he was!

Like somebody else on this forum stated, there's much more to coaching than just "directing" the players. When the Packers, with two very different rosters of players under Capers, can set all-time negative records for defense, how can somebody NOT say it's at least partially on Capers? I tend to agree with another poster that said it's probably that Capers style and scheme is not a good fit for Ted's draft and develop.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys... you Capers supporters...I totally agree that us fans are crazy with the "fire the coach" crap. I agree that in most cases us fans are way off base. I almost never have called for a coaches head. Having said that, the fact that a few players come out "in support of" Capers does not tell us anything. It's actually amusing. When Charles Woodson played for us he went from publicly stating how fantastic Capers was and what a genius he was, to saying he was killing them and ruining the defense, back to saying what a genius he was!

Like somebody else on this forum stated, there's much more to coaching than just "directing" the players. When the Packers, with two very different rosters of players under Capers, can set all-time negative records for defense, how can somebody NOT say it's at least partially on Capers? I tend to agree with another poster that said it's probably that Capers style and scheme is not a good fit for Ted's draft and develop.
But are you willing at all to give credit to Capers when the Packers win?
It's all on Flynn for the comeback in Dallas.
Sure. I guess the Capers led defense didn't do anything. Nope. They kept on letting Dallas score. Right? Riiiiiight.
Flynn does deserve credit for the win in Dallas but so does Capers.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, do you think those players are going to throw their D coordinator under the bus midseason? This defense has a habit of falling apart when we need them most. Quite frankly, the D as a whole played well yesterday, but there have been way too many game winning drives at the end of regulation. Your links are proof of nothing. Numbers are proof, and they are not in Capers favor. The buck stops with him, time for a change.
Since you obviously know pro football and how to run a defense better than Dom, send in your resume' pronto!
I'm 100% sure the Packers will hire you. Guaranteed.

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 10628
Green Bay, WI 54307-0628

And that goes for all you other Capers critics as well.
If you are going to continue to act like know it alls, then show us that you really do know it all by getting hired by the Packers.
I dunno the first thing about running a pro-football defense and I'm not going to sit here and act like I do.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But are you willing at all to give credit to Capers when the Packers win?
It's all on Flynn for the comeback in Dallas.
Sure. I guess the Capers led defense didn't do anything. Nope. They kept on letting Dallas score. Right? Riiiiiight.
Flynn does deserve credit for the win in Dallas but so does Capers.

? Yes I am and do. I look at an entire body of work. Take McCarthy for instance. I think he's a very good play caller and I like him calling plays. I also however think he's as much to blame for that loss as anyone and he called a bad game in spots. That doesn't mean I think he needs to stop calling plays.

Crabtree snagged a long pass Sunday and I said it right then, I'll take my chances all day long on Kapernuts not making that pass, as opposed to not covering the underneath stuff and Kapernuts scrambling. If that was Capers approach I was all for it.

I'm not all about blaming every bad play on Capers much less every game. ...but...enough is enough. Even with the injuries there are just way too many games that Capers led defenses are making poor teams look good and good teams look great. Do you know how many QBs have had their best career game against Capers led defenses?

...and what about a non-existent BJ Raji? Where does Capers fit in with that? Anyone that watches a ton of NFL football can see that CONSISTENTLY the Packers are one of the worst tackling teams in all of football. Not on Capers? I just watch other teams and watch an entire game of good hard tackling and then watch the Packers.... it's amazing how bad they are. Not Capers? (Or are you going to tell me their tackling isn't bad?)

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
? Yes I am and do. I look at an entire body of work. Take McCarthy for instance. I think he's a very good play caller and I like him calling plays. I also however think he's as much to blame for that loss as anyone and he called a bad game in spots. That doesn't mean I think he needs to stop calling plays.

Crabtree snagged a long pass Sunday and I said it right then, I'll take my chances all day long on Kapernuts not making that pass, as opposed to not covering the underneath stuff and Kapernuts scrambling. If that was Capers approach I was all for it.

I'm not all about blaming every bad play on Capers much less every game. ...but...enough is enough. Even with the injuries there are just way too many games that Capers led defenses are making poor teams look good and good teams look great. Do you know how many QBs have had their best career game against Capers led defenses?

...and what about a non-existent BJ Raji? Where does Capers fit in with that? Anyone that watches a ton of NFL football can see that CONSISTENTLY the Packers are one of the worst tackling teams in all of football. Not on Capers? I just watch other teams and watch an entire game of good hard tackling and then watch the Packers.... it's amazing how bad they are. Not Capers? (Or are you going to tell me their tackling isn't bad?)
I just don't understand how or why we can sit here and blame Capers when:
A) He isn't the one in pads and a jersey out there playing on the field.
and
B) We really have no clue but act like we do of what goes on in the Packers offices or where the media isn't informing us.
The players are not blaming Capers. They are blaming themselves. We should follow suit and blame the players as well.

Capers is just being targeted because it's easy to do so.
And this hatred towards him is snowballing and it's the trendy thing to do around here, I guess.

TA63

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You bash those of us who are critical of Capers, but didn't you admit in another thread that you never played football at any level? Some of us did, at a fairly high level. Maybe you should be quiet once in a while instead of spewing garbage. We can blame Capers because the defense is historically bad, and has been trending that way since 2010, despite dedicating a disproportionate amount of draft picks towards it's improvement. I , for one, am tired of watching this defense give up last minute game winning drives, miss tackles, and seeing average wide receivers and qb's shred our zone defense.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He isn't the one in pads and a jersey out there playing on the field.
That’s right, but he’s responsible for how the players play. Not on just one play, one series, or in one game, but in season after season after season.
The players are not blaming Capers. They are blaming themselves. We should follow suit and blame the players as well.
You understand a player criticizing Capers would cost himself money, don’t you? Not only would the Packers be less likely to re-sign him, but other teams could hesitate signing a player who publically criticizes a coach. IOW, it’s in the players’ economic interest, even the ones under contract, to refrain from criticizing their coaches.
We really have no clue but act like we do of what goes on in the Packers offices or where the media isn't informing us.
So what is your criteria for advocating a coach be fired? We will never know exactly what goes on in the front office.
And this hatred towards him is snowballing and it's the trendy thing to do around here, I guess.
Advocating that someone be replaced isn’t hatred. The vast majority of us who would like to see Capers replaced aren’t voicing hatred. And to the extent it’s a trend, it’s because of the play of the defense over the past three seasons. And many of us recognize replacing Capers isn't a magic fix and that Thompson and his staff need to do a better job of talent acquisition.

BTW, I don’t think you have to worry about Capers being fired. In spite of what some of us think, I believe he saved his job Sunday.

Last edited:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilde said something on Monday that Capers' contract might have expired.
It's pretty top secret apparently.

Question for all of you:
What percentage of you WANTS TO/WOULD fire Capers?
Like which way do you lean, on keeping him of replacing him?

For me, if we can get Gregg Williams or Wade Phillips, I would be about 65% replace Capers.

I think someone here long ago highlighted Capers history on defense. He comes in, and immediately improves a bad defense.
But then his defense stalls and goes back down.....

I think Williams is a *****, and whatever role he had on that bountygate thing (which he paid his due on), makes him more of a *****.

But I don't mind that from our defense. We have too many softies, too many nice guys.
Capers is a nice guy, very mellow..... I think it's time to nasty it up. Rodgers and this offense deserve a defense for once other than 2010.

So I am about 65%, but that's only if we can get Williams.
I'm 60% on Wade. He's also mellow, golly-shucks type of guy, who I watched here in Dallas, and watched US GET HIM FIRED by beating by 45 a few years ago.
But his defenses have typically fared better than Capers have IIRC.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When Charles Woodson played for us he went from publicly stating how fantastic Capers was and what a genius he was, to saying he was killing them and ruining the defense, back to saying what a genius he was.

I thought woody just said he wouldnt adjust at hakf time for the niner game?

Got a link to suuport what you claim?

Not saying you are wrong,I just dont recall it

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought woody just said he wouldnt adjust at hakf time for the niner game?

Got a link to suuport what you claim?

Not saying you are wrong,I just dont recall it

Here (below) is an article talking about it. After a 2009 Vikings loss Woodson opened up his yap about Capers in the locker room after the game. You don't remember that? It was a story that year. He also then made some negative comments about Capers when Brandon Marshall said Capers was the Packers defensive MVP. ...and yes...he also ragged after the playoffs last year that Capers didn't make adjustments. So, ya, pretty much he was that way off and on his entire time here. Sometimes subtle and sometimes not.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1499811-green-bay-packers-should-part-ways-with-charles-woodson

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You bash those of us who are critical of Capers, but didn't you admit in another thread that you never played football at any level? Some of us did, at a fairly high level. Maybe you should be quiet once in a while instead of spewing garbage. We can blame Capers because the defense is historically bad, and has been trending that way since 2010, despite dedicating a disproportionate amount of draft picks towards it's improvement. I , for one, am tired of watching this defense give up last minute game winning drives, miss tackles, and seeing average wide receivers and qb's shred our zone defense.
I'll start being quiet when the critics start being quiet.
That is, if they start with a balance and give credit to Capers when it's due. Such as winning games.
And I'll be quiet if I'm proven wrong. Another DC comes in and the defense plays better.
There are only two ways to settle this argument that Capers is bad.
1) The defense plays better while he still is DC in Green Bay.
2) The defense plays better with a different DC.

Garrett Moran

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question for all of you:
What percentage of you WANTS TO/WOULD fire Capers?
Like which way do you lean, on keeping him of replacing him?

I would be in favor of replacing Capers. I don't think he's terrible, but since the superbowl year statistically our defense has been anywhere from mediocre to straight terrible. Down the stretch this season our defense was frankly pathetic.

At the end of the day though, if Jim Haslett could keep his job in Washington for as long as he did given how perpetually bad that defense has been since he took over, i don't think Capers is going anywhere.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Therefore, as he's not the guy in uniform making mistakes, he shouldn't be blamed for those either?
Well :poop:, let's just cut all of our players then. Because we've obviously eliminated any possibility of criticism leveled against Dom "his :poop: don't stink" Capers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Here (below) is an article talking about it. After a 2009 Vikings loss Woodson opened up his yap about Capers in the locker room after the game. You don't remember that? It was a story that year. He also then made some negative comments about Capers when Brandon Marshall said Capers was the Packers defensive MVP. ...and yes...he also ragged after the playoffs last year that Capers didn't make adjustments. So, ya, pretty much he was that way off and on his entire time here. Sometimes subtle and sometimes not.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1499811-green-bay-packers-should-part-ways-with-charles-woodson

I see nothing about a loss to the Vikings.?? So if story of the year, should be an article you can find?

BTW 2009 Doms 1st year, Woodson was defensive player of the year

Here Woody praises Dom in 2009

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/stor...bay-packers-responds-brandon-marshall-sarcasm

Green Bay Packers cornerback Charles Woodson didn't play a part in defending Chicago Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall on Sunday, but Woodson -- who remains out with an injury -- was happy to continue the trash talking between the two sides after the Packers' 21-13 win.

Taking a swipe at Green Bay's players last week, Marshall called Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers "their player MVP" because of the way he game-planned to stop Marshall in Green Bay's Week 2 win in Lambeau Field. Woodson played off that sarcasm on Sunday at Soldier Field.

"I guess we have to give credit to our defensive MVP again, Dom Capers," said Woodson, who missed the last seven games due to a broken collarbone. "He did a great job out there today, played well, made plays when he needed to. Hats off to Dom."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/packers/2009-08-31-capers-defense_N.htm

Here woodson is glowing about Dom in his 1st year as Packers DC

GREEN BAY, Wis. — Green Bay Packers cornerback Charles Woodson lights up when asked about the offseason transition to new defensive coordinator Dom Capers' aggressive 3-4 scheme.

I am not disputing, but again I only heard him complain after the Niners game, and I cant find anything about Woodons blasting Dom after a Vikings loss

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read about the Viking game last week and I'll try to find it. I found this below from an article also regarding Woodson openly ragging about the defensive calls. I remember it all well because Woodson was my favorite player on that D and it pissed me off that he was ragging in the press about his coach. Honestly... I'm kind of surprised you don't remember that because it was a big story that year. I'm sure other Packer fans out there must remember that.?

It was years ago so there's not a ton of articles on it now. He came out in the press and was complaining about Capers scheme. You make my point for me also... as I said... he would also praise Capers. lol

This was after a San Diego game: As you probably know, Green Bay Packers cornerback Charles Woodson offered a blunt assessment of his team's defensive scheme and performance last week. Standing in the bowels of Qualcomm Stadium, Woodson called the defense a "liability" and implored defensive coordinator Dom Capers to find different ways to rush the passer.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I read about the Viking game last week and I'll try to find it. I found this below from an article also regarding Woodson openly ragging about the defensive calls. I remember it all well because Woodson was my favorite player on that D and it pissed me off that he was ragging in the press about his coach. Honestly... I'm kind of surprised you don't remember that because it was a big story that year. I'm sure other Packer fans out there must remember that.?

It was years ago so there's not a ton of articles on it now. He came out in the press and was complaining about Capers scheme. You make my point for me also... as I said... he would also praise Capers. lol

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/34296/dom-capers-lets-the-packers-loose

This was after a San Diego game:

As you probably know, Green Bay Packers cornerback Charles Woodson offered a blunt assessment of his team's defensive scheme and performance last week. Standing in the bowels of Qualcomm Stadium, Woodson called the defense a "liability" and implored defensive coordinator Dom Capers to find different ways to rush the passer.

He also said this after that SD game

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/33873/packers-8-0-and-wanting-much-more

Speaking steadily and with a steel gaze in his eyes, Woodson said the Packers played "a lot of bad football" Sunday. He termed the defense "the liability on this team" and said the Packers must get linebacker Clay Matthews in better position "to be the Claymaker."

To me he is saying, they as players played bad and they need to get ways to rush the passer better...And get Clay in better situations.

I dont think that is "ragging on the defensive calls" as you claim.....

That is a leader knowing they need to do something else and went to his coach to figure out how to do it

I would compare that to this
Quarterback Aaron Rodgers talked about John Kuhn today on his weekly radio show. When asked about Kuhn, an impending free agent, re-signing with the Packers in the offseason, Rodgers said: "Nobody I trust more on the field than John."

Then Woodson once again is praising Dom

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/34296/dom-capers-lets-the-packers-loose

"I think tonight we got a little bit more of what we like as a defense," Woodson said, "with the guys that we have. Just getting after an opposing offense. If you looked out there tonight, guys had fun. It's all determined on how the game is called. When Dom calls it that way, guys pin their ears back and go play football."

So what we have is a few times Woodson saying Dom wasnt doing enough, and a few times Woodson happy that Dom listened to him..Not really a strong argument that Dom should be fired

Wes Hodkiewicz packer insider last few weeks claims that Dom shouldnt be blamed or let go..

I still am okay if Dom is gone...HOWEVER----if he stays I am okay with it, as I am confident that MM knows the REAL issues with the defense..

Last edited:

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan - you totally lost the original point I was making and what we were debating. I was NOT questioning that Woodson said Capers should be fired. Again- go back and read what I said. I said that it was comical how Woodson has gone back and forth on the issue. I simply said that none of us should put any stock in what a player says about their own coach, one way or another and used Woodson as an example. I have no proof one way or another exactly what Packer players on defense really feel about the guy.

If we want to split hairs however... go back and find the video of the Vikes game interview and tell me that Woodson wasn't ragging/complaining or whatever you want to call it about Capers. Trust me...like I said...I'm a giant Woodson fan and I remember it well. He was ragging and it bugged me at the time. He had an attitude. It was NOT just a warm/fuzzy "hey we might need to mix it up" type of thing.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I still am okay if Dom is gone...HOWEVER----if he stays I am okay with it, as I am confident that MM knows the REAL issues with the defense..

This is how I'm looking at it. If a change is made I just worry about the cure being worse than the disease...

Members online

Latest posts