All Capers Threads merged

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm torn on the Capers thing.

There's the one side, Thompson bringing in nothing but young guys onto the defense, all unseen at the NFL level.
The other side is the coaching of them, mostly Capers but also positional coaches like Darren Perry.

Then there's the BS unfair injury element, which is the big Satan in the middle of it for us.
That's been, obviously, a way too big factor.

But our safeties and our ILBs were pretty healthy this year, and they are/were the biggest weaknesses.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Explain this.. Always hear it but no one can verify it

I can't recall a long list or anything, and being at work I don't have the time to look any up, off the top of my head this situation which has been going on for 3 years now and last year Crosby's meltdown. I'm glad he turned it around this year and did well, but you can't tell me any other team in the league would have put up with him missing all those kicks last year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Crosby righted himself...it isnt loalty.. Mm wants to stay hc, so he is going to put the best people for the job around him

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't recall a long list or anything, and being at work I don't have the time to look any up, off the top of my head this situation which has been going on for 3 years now and last year Crosby's meltdown. I'm glad he turned it around this year and did well, but you can't tell me any other team in the league would have put up with him missing all those kicks last year.

You are correct. McCarthy has said it before, if he thought these guys couldn't coach, they wouldn't be on his staff. He's said many times that he is a firm believer in stability. I actually like that about the guy but it may be taken to a fault.

Again...I just feel like it's time with this defense.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's loyal for sure. Crosby righted himself, but most coaches would have cut Crosby before he righted himself. With all the injures the last few years, the strength and conditioning coach needs to go, but that probably won't happen either.

We can't keep using the injury excuse for Capers because it happens every year - I bet next year we will have a ton of injuries again. If he can't deal with it find someone who can. But MM already said last week "I love our defense" so Capers isn't going anywhere.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But MM already said last week "I love our defense" so Capers isn't going anywhere.

MM had a press conference today. Said he's not looking to make big changes and likes having Capers on the coaching staff. I also saw somewhere Capers said he has no intention of retiring, though I don't know how reliable that was. From the looks of it he's staying.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He's loyal for sure. Crosby righted himself, but most coaches would have cut Crosby before he righted himself. With all the injures the last few years, the strength and conditioning coach needs to go, but that probably won't happen either.

We can't keep using the injury excuse for Capers because it happens every year - I bet next year we will have a ton of injuries again. If he can't deal with it find someone who can. But MM already said last week "I love our defense" so Capers isn't going anywhere.

And if they cut Crosby and he went on to have kick as well as he did for someone else, we all would be pissed. Or blame coaching or what ever..That is why when I say we dont know what happens in practice, or behind closed doors..

Not cutting Mason wasnt being loyal but knowing he just saw him in practice and knew he had it still..

If Rodgers goes down for 5 weeks or more and we only win 1 game, is it okay to use the injury excuse? (regardless who the back up q.b is)

So you never once said (here or elsewhere) if we had Rodgers we would have went 10-6 or better?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
MM had a press conference today. Said he's not looking to make big changes and likes having Capers on the coaching staff. I also saw somewhere Capers said he has no intention of retiring, though I don't know how reliable that was. From the looks of it he's staying.

Someone here mentioned that he wasnt retiring, maybe that is where you saw it?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't just Crosby, or Campen or Capers. Remember McCarthy's loyalty to Rodgers back in the summer of 2008? How many coaches would have said no to Brett Favre that year?

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone here mentioned that he wasnt retiring, maybe that is where you saw it?

This isn't where I saw it his quote in this article basically says the same thing http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/239304611.html

Asked if he expects to be back, Capers said, "I have no plans of not coaching, I'll say that." Criticism hasn't bothered him.

"It’s part of the business," he said. "I don’t get involved a lot what other people say. I know from the time I started in this business. I tell the players, if you commit every day and you do the very best job that you’re capable of, then you can always hold your head up high and know you’ve done the best you’re capable of doing, that’s what we ask the players to do. There’s going to be times things go your way, there’s going to be times things go against you. If you know that you’ve done everything you can, then you can move on."

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/tablet/sports/239304611.html#ixzz2prs8833s
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

He says a bit more as well if you're interested in reading the entire article. He talks about stopping the run and making the game one dimensional. His defense seems to be able to make the game one dimensional and ends up getting burned anyways, especially against SF.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM's Company Line comments are beyond tiresome. I simply can't take anything he says seriously any more. He's either keeping everything close to the vest (which is wise), or he's blind and stubborn and because of that, unwilling to make changes when changes are needed.

I"ll flat out say it, McCarthy is becoming more and more of the problem. In addition to what I just mentioned, his play-calling and game decisions have also been questionable, and all he talks about are "evaluations".

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It wasn't just Crosby, or Campen or Capers. Remember McCarthy's loyalty to Rodgers back in the summer of 2008? How many coaches would have said no to Brett Favre that year?

Loyal or wanted to do what was best for the team?

Loyal to me, means he would have stuck with Brett

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Loyal or wanted to do what was best for the team?

Loyal to me, means he would have stuck with Brett

I don't disagree. Heck, it makes no sense that MAC would hang his career on some coach he didn't trust. I agree with you that only MAC knows the entire story here and he's got a much bigger football I.Q. than us average arm chair weekend warriors football fans. That doesn't mean however that he's not capable of making a mistake or misreading a situation. I just think there may be something to the fact that Capers scheme and young rostering don't mix. Being honest about this, we've witnessed some fairly talented defensive squads look brutal under Capers. I have seen WAY more God aweful performances that very good ones from this guy and I'm ready to see something different. Having said that, I would hate to see us totally switch schemes and have to try to learn a new defense.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't disagree. Heck, it makes no sense that MAC would hang his career on some coach he didn't trust. I agree with you that only MAC knows the entire story here and he's got a much bigger football I.Q. than us average arm chair weekend warriors football fans. That doesn't mean however that he's not capable of making a mistake or misreading a situation. I just think there may be something to the fact that Capers scheme and young rostering don't mix. Being honest about this, we've witnessed some fairly talented defensive squads look brutal under Capers. I have seen WAY more God aweful performances that very good ones from this guy and I'm ready to see something different. Having said that, I would hate to see us totally switch schemes and have to try to learn a new defense.

Young players/backups making bad decisions seemed to be the defining factor in that final drive. Jarrett Bush's decision to come inside and give up outside contain is a prime example. Of course that might not have been much of an issue had the Coaches kept Datone Jones at the ROLB spot instead of an injured Andy Mulumba.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm ready to see Capers go like a bunch of you and start fresh on defense but MM likes the guy so we may have to put up with his hair piece another season. Theres another piece of this puzzle missing not being mentioned and that's the lack of players on this defense. Alot of blame falls on Capers i agree.. but TT deserves blame to for not putting the right players on this defense.

Maybe that's the biggest reason MM is hesitant to fire the guy? because look what he's got to work with? not a whole lot. TT has the final say when it comes to personel even though the coaches have some input.

1. He decided not to pursue better options at linebacker after they decided to part ways with Desmond Bishop. He chose to re-sign Brad jones who is less talented than his contract when Bishop could've added a nice 1-2 punch with Hawk in the middle. I don't wanna hear about injuries because Brad Jones is as injury prone as they come. Has he ever played a FULL season? You had guys like DJ Williams, Connor Barwin, Phillip Wheeler, Nick Barnett, Shaun Phillips, and James Harrison who were much better options. Shaun Phillips and James Harrison came from a 3-4.

2. Thinking MD Jennings was the answer at Safety vs letting a healthy Charles Woodson get an entire year there? Major mistake. Jennings had 74 tackles (missed about 20) 0 ints, 0 forced fumbles, and 0 IMPACT plays and was rated as one of the worse safties in the league. Charles Woodson had 98 tackles 3 FF, 2 sacks, 1 int, and a touchdown. Woodson played all 16 games this yr and was better then both Burnett and Jennings in the takeaway category COMBINED!! Good move Teddy! it paid off huge..in favor of opposing offenses smh.

I don't want Capers here anymore... but if he's going to be here? i would like to see what the defense would look like with some real talent at some key positions and then if it still stinks we know it's all on him and he should've been canned a long time ago. TT will once again need to focus primarily on defense this next draft because thus far the product on the field isn't working. Alot of the product are guys he drafted and they are making alot of money.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe that's the biggest reason MM is hesitant to fire the guy? because look what he's got to work with? not a whole lot. TT has the final say when it comes to personel even though the coaches have some input.

Thank you!!! That is how I feel...

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers goes down for 5 weeks or more and we only win 1 game, is it okay to use the injury excuse? (regardless who the back up q.b is)

Every week Rodgers was out, except for the Falcons game, the D gave up 26 or more points. That's not a good D.

Also, looks like MM thinks the players are the problem for the defense, not Capers, with these quotes:

“I think Dom Capers is an outstanding football coach, and I’m glad he’s on our staff.”
"“We need more impact players,” McCarthy said. “We need more players making plays on defense. I think that’s stating the obvious."

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I just think that excuse is spent. Like I said, he's had some very talented squads and had some of the worst performances in NFL history. Just my opinion. I could easily make the counter point and ask the question... is it REALLY that we're drafting so poorly on the defensive side or is it Capers that's doing nothing to grow these young players?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dom Capers??? is that you?? haha. But yea, i watched some film and looked over the roster and there isn't alot to write home about as far as personel on defense. Sam Shields is probably the only other player who would even be considered a pro bowl type player outside of Clay Matthews. So now my question to you since you obviously agree? this is more on TT and the way this roster is put together than capers?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every week Rodgers was out, except for the Falcons game, the D gave up 26 or more points. That's not a good D.

Also, looks like MM thinks the players are the problem for the defense, not Capers, with these quotes:

“I think Dom Capers is an outstanding football coach, and I’m glad he’s on our staff.”
"“We need more impact players,” McCarthy said. “We need more players making plays on defense. I think that’s stating the obvious."

Well hello Mike! We have only been saying that for three years now. Maybe you should talk to your GM who thinks that he's always going to find that guy in the draft vs opening up the check book and bringing in a player or two. It's says alot when only 1 of his draft picks have had a major impact on defense this past year and that guy was playing injured and even missed time.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well hello Mike! We have only been saying that for three years now. Maybe you should talk to your GM who thinks that he's always going to find that guy in the draft vs opening up the check book and bringing in a player or two. It's says alot when only 1 of his draft picks have had a major impact on defense this past year and that guy was playing injured and even missed time.

Again- why would you assume it's not Capers that is failing to get anything out of these guys? Why do you assume it's the players that are all bad? He's had good players on that side with similar results. Dom Capers defenses going back 7 years have record setting poor performances.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again- why would you assume it's not Capers that is failing to get anything out of these guys? Why do you assume it's the players that are all bad? He's had good players on that side with similar results. Dom Capers defenses going back 7 years have record setting poor performances.

You are misunderstanding me my friend so i'll say it like this. I can't stand Capers or his stupid scheme. I would love for us to bring in a guy like Wade Phillips who can probably get better results out of this bunch. However, if we have to put up with Dom another year he may need better talent to make his scheme work due to the fact he CAN'T seem to get more out of what he has. The End

Members online

Latest posts