Aaron Rodgers is as clutch as you want him to be

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...s-clutch-narrative-bob-mcginn-blown-comebacks

Didn't see that this has been posted anywhere, if so my apologies. I found this article quite interesting, as some have questioned Rodgers in the past few days on the final drive (granted, it's mostly been the Skip Bayless trolls of the world).

But given how I haven't seen even one critical post of Rodgers on the final drive on this forum over the past few days, I think that says a lot about whether or not Rodgers should take some culpability for not being able to complete some throws on that final drive.

Given that I just joined this forum a couple months ago, I'm not sure how in depth this conversation has been in years past, but I guess I have two questions. 1) Do you find any merit to the idea that Rodgers came up small on the final drive (I personally do not). And 2) Do you have any worries, doubts, or skepticism about Rodgers ability to come through when needed most on the final drive of games?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to see him be the awesome and elite QB we have known him to be.
Too early to see that yet.
I think he will bounce back and it looks like he might be starting to after Atlanta.

What I find frustrating in Rodgers are two things:
1) That he has not taken us to another SB. That is not entirely his fault and I place a lot of that blame on McMuffin.
2) That Rodgers is not consistent. He has been in this slump for a long time and I want to see him out of it and on top from now till he throws his last pass. Of course every fan wants their QB on top and the only one who seems to be all the time is Tom Brady. But of course the only way he can do that is by being on a team that cheats. How else can their success be explained? I'll always root for a non-cheating QB and team though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the fact I felt pretty good about our chances to get into FG range with 30 seconds or so on the clock tells you all You need to know about what I think Rodgers is capable of.

Disappointed it didn't happen, but I'll feel the same way next time all the same

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, Rodgers has been starting to look more and more like....well, like Rodgers for a couple of games now. I don't think it's widely appreciated how well he played against Atlanta, especially considering being down his top 2 rb's, top te, #'s 2 and 4 wr's, and a banged up line.

InFamous

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well where there's smoke, there's fire. I think all naysayers can make a point for Rodgers not being clutch. Imo, I can recall him having some clutch drives late in games. There sometimes are just some nuances missing and they might be attributed to our QB.

I agree with the author thou, this game is not a good example as to him being unclutch. And dunno, but nobody is saying Brady, who in my opinion is one of the clutches QBs of all time, aint clutch because he had a chance to win Super Bowl XLII and XLVI as he had 30 seconds to tie respectively 60 seconds to score a TD...

Even if this is a QB-driven game, it is a team game after all. Last year is a great example for Rodgers leading a heroic comeback to tie the playoff game just to see the Pack lose. The answer to the question as to Rodgers being unlutch just isnt black or white.

Since he is our QB he has to share a huge amount of blame for each failed opportunity, but does this make him unclutch? Personally, I dont think so.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I find the fairest way to grade Aaron Rodgers and what he has meant to the Green Bay Packers is to close your eyes. Have them closed? Now imagine the Green Bay Packers offense on the field and out trots ___________.......fill in the blank with any QB drafted since AR was drafted in 2005.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I find the fairest way to grade Aaron Rodgers and what he has meant to the Green Bay Packers is to close your eyes. Have them closed? Now imagine the Green Bay Packers offense on the field and out trots ___________.......fill in the blank with any QB drafted since AR was drafted in 2005.
Yeah I certainly don't think that anyone is denying Rodgers worth to the team (although there was quite a bit of "I want Hundley NOW" a few weeks ago, which was just lunacy at its finest).

Personally, I have the ultimate trust in #12 in any situation that comes his way.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2) That Rodgers is not consistent. He has been in this slump for a long time and I want to see him...
Actually, you admitted that he's consistent. He was consistently good from 2009 to mid-2015, then he's been consistently bad from mid-2015 to mid-2016. I've seen him play pretty much back to top form the past two weeks. Maybe it won't last, but I won't avoid calling it as it is...Rodgers is playing how we all want him to play.

To the original post, I don't put that on Rodgers. He and McCarthy kept us in that game. Obviously the backup WRs had a big hand in that as well, but Rodgers carried that team for almost the entire game. Had he been inconsistent earlier on I might be more critical, but the guy did what we needed most of the game. Unfortunately his luck ran out for the final 30 seconds.

D

Deleted member 6794

Given that I just joined this forum a couple months ago, I'm not sure how in depth this conversation has been in years past, but I guess I have two questions. 1) Do you find any merit to the idea that Rodgers came up small on the final drive (I personally do not). And 2) Do you have any worries, doubts, or skepticism about Rodgers ability to come through when needed most on the final drive of games?

It has been discussed on this forum
in-depth in the past and to sum it up Rodgers not being clutch is nonsense. In addition putting the loss vs. the Falcons on him because of not being able to move the offense into field goal range within the last 30 seconds is ridiculous.

Reaction score
Sure we can find a game recently like MN where he threw a pic on the last drive. But we can also find games that he's largely responsible for keeping us alive or winning to combat each of those examples.
We put high expectations on Aaron to carry this team because we all know what he's capable of. When Aaron's playing "on" he's nearly unstoppable. When he's not killing the opposing D with 12 men on the field he's killing you with his hard count. When he's not beating you with a deep throw.. he's beating you on the sideline scramble for another 1st down.
We too easily forget the miracles he's performed when he shows his humanity and throws a few errant throws.
I think he's got another Championship in the tank and I say that with the utmost respect of the difficulty it takes to achieve that goal. Even with the subpar performance he showed to start the season my only concern is ...
will our Defense be able to get healthy and mature enough to run the anchor leg after his lead.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of hard to be considered clutch whenever you get your team ahead or tied late in the game,and you have a defense like ours to hand the game away in a few plays.

H

HardRightEdge

McGinn is a cranky old man of dubious discernment.

Here a few of my favorites:

- Going into 2014 he did a run down on the ILBs in camp, about 10 of them, and did not even mention Barrington.

- Early in the 2015 regular season he declared Nate Palmer the answer while his predecessors were "non-entities", this despite having numerous opportunities to see Palmer overrun the hole, fall down in the hole, and exhibit cluelessness in coverage. Had he actually watched the games, or did he rely on some insider blowing smoke up his a*s?

- He put Adams on the bubble this past offseason, leading the parade in these pages, then softened that stance in camp. As with many in these pages, there was no recognition of him being gimped up all last season.

- He said, "Deep down, just about everybody in the organization knows they blew it with Josh Sitton," days after that decision.

- This year it's been Rodgers has lost his HOF credibility, Rodgers is not clutch. I'm waiting for, "it's time for Hundley".

And it's not like I'm cherry picking here. I don't make a point of reading his stuff. In fact, I've only read what's flagged here, which this season includes all of 1 McGinn piece, and 3 others that were quoted.

Everybody is wrong sooner or later. McGinn's crankiness gets the better of him too often to be credible.

Last edited by a moderator:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like reading McGinn but indeed, he is becoming a cranky old man in his thinking. He still does a great job of scouting the other team and diagnosing the game film. His Super Bowl book is one of the best that I've read because of its novel perspective.

I was sure that we would cut Adams after camp. I thought he stunk last year, not just because of injury, and it looked like it was continuing in camp this year. I felt that we had better young talent. I was wrong for sure about Adams.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Yeah, and considering that Rodgers has better overall playoff numbers than even Tom Brady has should also tell the story as well. Defense and special teams has really let him down in the last 2 playoff exits.

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, and considering that Rodgers has better overall playoff numbers than even Tom Brady has should also tell the story as well. Defense and special teams has really let him down in the last 2 playoff exits.
You can add the Kaepernick romp-a-thon to the list.

Members online

Latest posts