Aaron Rodgers is an Arrogant Jerk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Eventually everything rolls up to Murphy. He was content with not being in game side because we had TT. Now that is gone and till Gute steps up and proves himself, I think he'll have Murphy looming over his shoulder...which is the how it is supposed to be.

Honestly I don't think we have been that lax. In ideal world TT could have been fired perhaps last season and we were 1 season late, but that's the best we can push this.

TT was basically "fired" last season, when Gute took over his duties. ;)

From my perspective, Murphy was letting TT run the Football side of things. Whether that was planned, ordered by the Ex. Committee or just the way things evolved, it was pretty obvious Murphy stayed out of the way.

TT was responsible for MM and possibly the two of them were jointly responsible for Capers. Along the way, each of those 3 (TT, MM, DC), stayed in their perspective positions too long IMO. You could point to all 3 in a variety of ways for what part they played in their own and each others downfall. I also believe of the 3, MM is currently the only guy we will ever see in the same position (HC), which tells you something about the other 2 guys part in this.

At some point either Murphy decided to take more control or was ordered to, but its pretty clear now that Murphy is in the main loop of football operations and he will either share in the success or go down in its failure.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now that is gone and till Gute steps up and proves himself, I think he'll have Murphy looming over his shoulder...which is the how it is supposed to be.

Actually I would prefer Murphy not being involved in football decisions.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy should play the role of owner, and keep the GM in check by having the power to hire and fire him. Otherwise should probably keep his nose out of it.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I would prefer Murphy not being involved in football decisions.

I'm sure he'd want to see himself if he made the right choice in Gute. Not saying he's going to second guess Gute...but oversight shouldn't be bad.

Reaction score
People need to understand that there is a CUMULATIVE EFFECT with years of bad personnel moves. It is what forced the Packers to overspend in free agency on defense to try and stay relevant. You can look at each free agency move which was made to cover up the root of failure.

Adrian Amos- Failed 1st and 2nd round picks on Clinton-Dix and Josh Jones.

Za'Darius Smith- Failed contract with Nick Perry that turned out to be a disaster. Neglecting to find a replacement via the draft.

Preston Smith- Holding onto Clay Matthew's for too long and doing nothing to replace him other then a failed 4th round pick on Vince Biegel.

Billy Turner - Doing nothing to bolster the position other then drafting Cole Madison(with known personal problems)and using Jahari Evans as a stop gap in 2017.

You cant really point to just one of these failures as nothing is perfect but COLLECTIVELY they are KILLERS which has further stunted our development to get Rodgers the help he needs on offense.
There’s some truth there, but on the other side of coin there’s this, something had to be done and complacency had already set in so that wasn’t Gutes fault. We will be able to evaluate him in a few years but right now the previous administration failed us

Good news is this. Today’s a new day and the past is the past. We now have a proactive GM.
While we’ve overspent a bit (this is 2019), we’ve also got youth with upside where we previously had age spiraling downwards. I’d rather be cap strapped with a winning team than have 50M in the bank and be drowning. Let me go down swinging at least.

Now let’s stick this draft for once and get our swagger back

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm sure he'd want to see himself if he made the right choice in Gute. Not saying he's going to second guess Gute...but oversight shouldn't be bad.

There's nothing wrong with Murphy evaluating Gutekunst but in my opinion he shouldn't be involved in football decisions made by the general manager.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy should play the role of owner, and keep the GM in check by having the power to hire and fire him. Otherwise should probably keep his nose out of it.

But is Murphy isn't your average "owner" seeing he is a former player and his back ground as a collegiate AD. I hope he doesn't second guess Gute but he had to see things were headed south with the way things were under McCarthy so he felt a change had to be made.

D

Deleted member 6794

But is Murphy isn't your average "owner" seeing he is a former player and his back ground as a collegiate AD. I hope he doesn't second guess Gute but he had to see things were headed south with the way things were under McCarthy so he felt a change had to be made.

Murphy could have made a coaching change when he replaced Thompson. I guess Gutekunst was in favor of firing McCarthy as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All of us outside of the Packer organization will probably never be privy to how things fully transpired in the last year or two in regards to the changes made. I would imagine there were a lot of behind the scenes conversations and plans being formulated as it went along and these were had among different people; Executive Committee, Murphy, TT, MM and eventually Gute. I can imagine there was lots of whispering going on behind closed doors during this time, as well as tension between all of the parties involved. I can also imagine that many of the coaches were busy getting their resumes ready, just in case.

Capers was the easiest step in the process. TT may have stepped down voluntarily or perhaps with a suggestion from Murphy and or the Ex. Committee. Meanwhile MM was probably viewed as the guy who had done enough positive things, that he was be given another year to prove himself and when he couldn't, it was his time to go.

H

HardRightEdge

I just couldn't sell myself on with HOMER GLASSES any longer. So yes 2014 would of been the trigger point looking back.

If Gute addresses the offense effectively in the draft he will have done in a year and a half what Thompson couldn't do in 4-5 years which is build a CHAMP ROSTER.
Coming off a 6-9-1 season with a bunch of expensive new guys who have not even taken the practice field yet, are you sure you haven't put the "HOMER GLASSES" back on? Throwing in what is likely to be some rookie starters it is far from certain that all the new pieces will gel.

When Gutekunst passes on Parris Campbell at #12 and and again at #30, will you change your tune? If he doesn't take any offensive skill position players until the 3rd. round will you go BALLISTIC? If it's 4th. round would it be SUPER BALLISTIC? :whistling:

While there is cause for optimism, a lot of things have to go right. Some circumspection is required.

If I may offer a piece of advice, ALL CAPS became tired and annoying decades ago. When somebody is always SHOUTING thoughtful people stop listening.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
*grins* I hope we don't find Brandon after the draft with his tongue stuck to the pole.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

Murphy could have made a coaching change when he replaced Thompson. I guess Gutekunst was in favor of firing McCarthy as well.
Murphy was party to a coaching change when Thompson was kicked upstairs: Capers was fired.

They were not ready to go clean slate and there were not many voices saying they should. Thompson gave Capers scads of defensive draft picks and the defense underperformed. Whose fault was that? Both was the evident and sound conclusion.

McCarthy, on the other hand, led this team to serial playoff appearances despite those defensive deficiencies and Rodgers going down earned a bye and disguised growing issues on the offensive side. The lack of team discipline, the unspecified "accountability" issues and just plain losing were the tipping point, as much if not more than friction with the QB.

It's been a set of complex and festering problems where addressing the key issues, whether player selection, coaching or player performance is like peeling an onion. Thompson and Capers were the first two layers. Swapping out Nelson for Graham, getting rid of Randall and drafting fresh CBs, and then dumping Clinton-Dix were the next layer. Replacing McCarthy the next layer. Swapping out the edges, the safety and in a way Spriggs for second contrat free agents the next.

Or to use another analogy, every rehab starts with demolition. Until you get into the walls you don't know what liabilites are hiding behind them. Once into reconstruction, more problems are exposed. There may be some false steps along the way, e.g., Graham. By this time next year the last of the demolition will be complete with certain FA departures. Whether the finished product draws offers above asking remains to be seen.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Or to use another analogy, every rehab starts with demolition. Until you get into the walls you don't know what liabilites are hiding behind them. Once into reconstruction, more problems are exposed. There may be some false steps along the way, e.g., Graham. By this time next year the last of the demolition will be complete with certain FA departures. Whether the finished product draws offers above asking remains to be seen.

As someone who has flipped a few houses, I would say great analogy.

Some organizations decide to basically bulldoze and start over. Possibly if the Packers had a singular owner, that may have happened with one swift swing of the wrecking ball and a truckload of dynamite. However, I don't think the Packers were in need of a complete raze, but nearing that point. In the end, they replaced the walls (TT), the Roof (MM), the electrical and plumbing (MM and DC). They decided to keep the foundation (Ex. Committee and Murphy), the HVAC system (Rodgers) and half of the appliances and furnishings (players).

I don't expect the new house to be fully functioning this year, but I think with several new quality pieces of furniture, a roof that doesn't leak and a plumbing and electrical system that functions well, we may end up with a high end home in a year or two. With the one caveat, the older furnace can keep delivering the heat without breakdowns.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Coming off a 6-9-1 season with a bunch of expensive new guys who have not even taken the practice field yet, are you sure you haven't put the "HOMER GLASSES" back on? Throwing in what is likely to be some rookie starters it is far from certain that all the new pieces will gel.

When Gutekunst passes on Parris Campbell at #12 and and again at #30, will you change your tune? If he doesn't take any offensive skill position players until the 3rd. round will you go BALLISTIC? If it's 4th. round would it be SUPER BALLISTIC? :whistling:

While there is cause for optimism, a lot of things have to go right. Some circumspection is required.

If I may offer a piece of advice, ALL CAPS became tired and annoying decades ago. When somebody is always SHOUTING thoughtful people stop listening.

I'm planning to go to Chicago for he opener and to Kansas City for Sunday Night Game. If they blow this draft I won't go to either as I am not gonna buy into the ineptitude.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm planning to go to Chicago for he opener and to Kansas City for Sunday Night Game. If they blow this draft I won't go to either as I am not gonna buy into the ineptitude.
That’ll show em...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

and will you and solely you decide what a "blown draft" looks like? Will you be doing that before the very first game of the season or wait like most until 1-3 years have passed?

I think I know your answer, just wondering where I can buy the tickets you are about to sell.

H

HardRightEdge

No all caps? That's progress.

You should have bought tickets for later in the season rather than that Bears game because nobody is going to know if they "blew the draft", including you, until well after week 1, maybe not until 2020. We still have a lot of questions about last year's draft that will be answered this season.

This season expecially, with new coaches and several new starters with more to come, the opening weeks could be rocky. NFL football is a dodgy affair for the first 3 weeks under the best of circumstances partially or primarily because vets take so few reps in preseason. Better football will be played later regardless of who is drafted.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
No all caps? That's progress.

You should have bought tickets for later in the season rather than that Bears game because nobody is going to know if they "blew the draft", including you, until well after week 1, maybe not until 2020. We still have a lot of questions about last year's draft that will be answered this season.

This season expecially, with new coaches and several new starters with more to come, the opening weeks could be rocky. NFL football is a dodgy affair for the first 3 weeks under the best of circumstances partially or primarily because vets take so few reps in preseason. Better football will be played later regardless of who is drafted.

Don't get me wrong. I am optimistic with the overall direction but if they don't make the offense a priority in this draft most of it will fade.

The past few years the offseasons have been very rough but I always come around. If they don't make the offense a priority in this draft I'm gonna re-evaluate my expectations going into this season..

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
and will you and solely you decide what a "blown draft" looks like? Will you be doing that before the very first game of the season or wait like most until 1-3 years have passed?

I think I know your answer, just wondering where I can buy the tickets you are about to sell.

I will make my opinions known as probably all of you know. ;)

Funny you mention tickets cause I offered to sell one's to the Pittsburgh game and NO TAKERS..

Also, tickets were being given away around here by the middle of the season here last season. There not as hard to come by. Let's hope Gute and Co. nails this draft so that changes.

As I've posted I've never been a fan of 50 dollar tickets.

OP
OP
E

EdH

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um...have no idea where your “source” is coming from, but according to Rob Dembrovsky two days ago:

——“Ultimately, we both know who the boss is, and it’s him,” Rodgers said of LaFleur in the radio interview. “But it works best when it’s a partnership. I’m excited about working with him. I’m also excited about working with Nathaniel. He’s been around different teams. Obviously, has a great pedigree in his background of being around the NFL. I’m excited about working with those two guys. And then obviously Luke and I created a really good friendship when he was here as a receivers coach. It’s going to be those three guys a lot of time in the room; probably Matt a lot and Matt and Luke, for sure, and Nathaniel in there a little bit, also.”

Got the information from an article in our local paper. Quoted it almost word for word.

OP
OP
E

EdH

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, and just because I don't think that Rodgers is great, that makes me a Troll and you think my post should be removed?

Thought the Packer Forum was for EVERYONE, not just those who think there is nothing wrong with the Packers and believe they are destined for the Super Bowl.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, and just because I don't think that Rodgers is great, that makes me a Troll and you think my post should be removed?

Thought the Packer Forum was for EVERYONE, not just those who think there is nothing wrong with the Packers and believe they are destined for the Super Bowl.

You are free to express your opinion, just understand we are at the same time free to criticize said opinion once it's out to the public. I don't recall anyone has poked fun at you or anything. And on top of that this thread honestly serves no true purpose. It seemed like someone had a temper tantrum and just wanted to be heard. The way you expressed said opinion let alone your choice of words in regards for this topic, made it seem as if this was done pure emotion. This could've EASILY been posted on several topics on Rodgers, which is probably why most didn't take this post seriously and took it as a troll.

If you wanted this to be taken seriously may I suggest a better way of expressing your opinion next time? There are people that do indeed share your sentiments regarding Rodgers, but they certainly do a better job at expressing said opinion than you have done.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is, what, the third one this month with paranoia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts