Aaron Rodgers is an Arrogant Jerk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
i haven't seen anyone round here saying that one superbowl in the AR era is suitable. most people here, myself included, will agree that AR should have more rings.

but X-pack is correct in saying that we can't say we would have had more superbowls if we'd changed things earlier, but we can be reasonably sure that we would not be in as poor a state as we are

This is "THE TRAP OF TED THOMPSON" which I have talked about at length over the years which is just another way of trying to lessen the reality of how much damage was done. We are left with speculation but when you look at how close the Packers were to winning a Super Bowl with Rodgers and Thompson for about a 5 year period it's pretty easy to see for me how a competent GM could of pushed us over the top.

In hindsight that is just amazing what Rodgers was able to do which was my original point. I don't believe there is a QB in the league or player for that matter that has overcome as much as Rodgers has to make a team as competitive as Rodgers has.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is "THE TRAP OF TED THOMPSON" which I have talked about at length over the years which is just another way of trying to lessen the reality of how much damage was done. We are left with speculation but when you look at how close the Packers were to winning a Super Bowl with Rodgers and Thompson for about a 5 year period it's pretty easy to see for me how a competent GM could of pushed us over the top.

In hindsight that is just amazing what Rodgers was able to do which was my original point. I don't believe there is a QB in the league or player for that matter that has overcome as much as Rodgers has to make a team as competitive as Rodgers has.

No matter what we'll get through this buddy. I share your sentiments in regards to the squandered opportunities regarding Rodgers and this organization's inept to build around him. But what's done is done. I'm certain Rodgers can win at least two more before it's all said and done. Maybe even 3 or 4. Of course that's the optimistic side of me talking.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Futhermore, people need to look at what Russell Wilson is demanding
No matter what we'll get through this buddy. I share your sentiments in regards to the squandered opportunities regarding Rodgers and this organization's inept to build around him. But what's done is done. I'm certain Rodgers can win at least two more before it's all said and done. Maybe even 3 or 4. Of course that's the optimistic side of me talking.

I'm reserving judgement until after the draft. They have to get this draft right.

H

HardRightEdge

He did it in KC with paying Alex Smith. If what he is doing in Cleveland is SO EASY how come the Browns have 1 winning season in 20 years?

The Packers have had there chances with Rodgers under a reasonable contract for years and Thompson completely destroyed the whole thing and were still paying for it.
KC didn't do anything with Alex Smith except fast starts and bad finishes. KC's current upswing has a lot to do with that cheap, suddenly elite QB and other cheap impact players opening up cap. A $25 mil difference in QB cost between a Mahomes and a Rodgers goes a long way just to start.

Nobody said anything is easy. But if you have a pile of cap, a bunch of high picks and you hit on a QB on a cheap rookie contract, the job gets a whole lot easier.

I agree that Thompson's poor drafts over multiple years has been the basis for a poor roster. I don't know how many times I can repeat that a key component to winning is a critical mass of good-to-impact players in their years 1-4 on those relatively cheap rookie deals which opens up cap for stategic and tactical free agent signings. And if you get there the window is open for only a couple of years unless you keep those draft successes coming. That's if you're not Belichick who has formula that nobody is willing or able to copy.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TT wasn't always a bad GM. His last few years have been terrible, but there was no way for the organization to react that fast and Packers have always moved slower than the rest.

If not for the damage, we would still be a playoff team for sure...but as I say, more SB's is definitely a reach (not saying it can't happen, but %s are low).

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@brandon2348

When you you think we should have fired TT?

Hypothetically...Let's assume 2014 was the trigger point - which was the start of bad draft era and we lost the Championship due to one stupid play. And we realized in 2016 that past 2 years have been bad and fired TT then and there. Do you think we could have won one/Two more SBs in past 2 years under Dorsey?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is nothing new discussed here. This thread should be locked.

Pandora's Box, slippery slope, or something of that nature. Not many threads would stay open for long with this criterion. :)

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's called "The good old boys club".

The power structure needs to be dismantled.

So fire Mark Murphy? Lol

I mean I am just saying he effectively already did "dismantle" it with his now sticking the HC and GM in the "report to me" status.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So fire Mark Murphy? Lol

I mean I am just saying he effectively already did "dismantle" it with his now sticking the HC and GM in the "report to me" status.

I would say that if Gute and MLF don't turn things around in the next 3-4 years, Murphy could find himself on the chopping block.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since this seems to be the latest "Rodgers Thread", I figured I would post this article here.

Interesting insight as to what Rodgers knee injury last season was and how it effected him during the entire season.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...n-2018-much-different-than-j-j-watts-in-2017/

This is part of the reason I kept beating the drum for us to fix the OL because a QB dealing with pressure in his face under that condition would be even less likely to get accurate throws off.

Thing is though idk if that entirely explains why he'd get into these chuck it deep modes and just ignore the short passes at times, although granted some of that may have been our two inexperienced rookies not always being ready to get those quick hitters and take off with them.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
@brandon2348

When you you think we should have fired TT?

Hypothetically...Let's assume 2014 was the trigger point - which was the start of bad draft era and we lost the Championship due to one stupid play. And we realized in 2016 that past 2 years have been bad and fired TT then and there. Do you think we could have won one/Two more SBs in past 2 years under Dorsey?

It runs deeper then bad drafts. Lack of using free agency to overpaying some of our own players and keeping them to long, not addressing immediate needs, holding on to incompetent coaches too long etc etc.

After a few tough years of selling myself on his draft picks(which was hard) and holding onto some glimmering hope that players would actually develop the 2015 draft was one I just couldn't sell myself on with HOMER GLASSES any longer. So yes 2014 would of been the trigger point looking back.

After the 2016 season is where I became pretty vocal about him needing to go as it was so obvious the front office had become dysfunctional. Like one poster suggested when you still keep making the playoffs and a Champ game here and there along with a Ring in 2010 it makes it tough to hit the re-set button from the front office down. Now it is clear as day that Rodgers was a Huge Reason that was happening putting the team basically on his back and willing the Packers to victory.

Look at what Gute has done in ONE FULL SEASON. It's pretty obvious to me it doesn't take forever to re-shuffle and re-shape a roster. If Gute addresses the offense effectively in the draft he will have done in a year and a half what Thompson couldn't do in 4-5 years which is build a CHAMP ROSTER.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i haven't seen anyone round here saying that one superbowl in the AR era is suitable. most people here, myself included, will agree that AR should have more rings.
Favre recently said that he thought we should have more Super Bowls with a guy as talented as Rodgers. I think he said this with his comments on the Dunne article, but on TV today they were characterizing it as taking a shot at Rodgers.

I don't see this as a shot at Rodgers at all, in fact I'd say it's the opposite. If anything, the Packers have let Rodgers down. If Rodgers had a good defense over the past eight years, maybe we'd have more Super Bowls. He can't overcome the craptacular defenses we have had all on his own. Pretty much every person on this forum has said the same thing Favre said: "We should have more Super Bowls". We all know that's not a shot at Rodgers. The Packers have failed to put the right talent around him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Unfortunately I believe you're being way too optimistic. The Packers winning another Super Bowl with Rodgers should already be considered a success.

I would say that if Gute and MLF don't turn things around in the next 3-4 years, Murphy could find himself on the chopping block.

I'm not sure about that as most members of the executive committee and the board of directors are interested in the Packers making money. Murphy has definitely done a great job in that regard.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

agreed, after his fractured clavicle in 13 it was obvious then that we were maybe only slightly an above average team, but after his 2017 fracture, it was more obvious just how much the team had declined and he had made us look better than we actually are. the change in DC last year made a big difference imo, as though the D didn't look brilliant, it looked improved under Pettine, and after the FA additions this year, hopefully they'll make a big leap and improve even further. keepong opp points off the board will mean AR has to carry the team less

Favre recently said that he thought we should have more Super Bowls with a guy as talented as Rodgers. I think he said this with his comments on the Dunne article, but on TV today they were characterizing it as taking a shot at Rodgers.

I don't see this as a shot at Rodgers at all, in fact I'd say it's the opposite. If anything, the Packers have let Rodgers down. If Rodgers had a good defense over the past eight years, maybe we'd have more Super Bowls. He can't overcome the craptacular defenses we have had all on his own. Pretty much every person on this forum has said the same thing Favre said: "We should have more Super Bowls". We all know that's not a shot at Rodgers. The Packers have failed to put the right talent around him.

thankfully, the fo have realised that change was needed, it started slow last year getting rid of Dom capers and TT, and now we're seeing a big change that hopefully will end up in a few superbowl visits while we still have a possible GOAT qb

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not sure about that as most members of the executive committee and the board of directors are interested in the Packers making money. Murphy has definitely done a great job in that regard.

While I agree with you on Murphy's success outside of Football operations, it appears he is trying to step in and take more control on the football side of things. Of course the Packers want to be profitable, but if the Football team falls on hard times, that profit line will start veering South, as will public opinion of the people running it, despite what Murphy has done on the non-football side of things. If that happens and the Packers return to the version of the "1980's Packers", I can't see Murphy getting himself out from underneath the backlash of that.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
also in reply to the op.

why shouldn't AR feel that he needs better options on his side of the ball, the QB is the most important part of any NFL team, he needs protection on the field and the personel to get into the endzone

D

Deleted member 6794

While I agree with you on Murphy's success outside of Football operations, it appears he is trying to step in and take more control on the football side of things. Of course the Packers want to be profitable, but if the Football team falls on hard times, that profit line will start veering South, as will public opinion of the people running it, despite what Murphy has done on the non-football side of things. If that happens and the Packers return to the version of the "1980's Packers", I can't see Murphy getting himself out from underneath the backlash of that.

You might be right that with Murphy being more involved in football decisions the business side being successful would not be good enough for him to keep his job if the Packers don't return to glory on the field over the next few years.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You might be right that with Murphy being more involved in football decisions the business side being successful would not be good enough for him to keep his job if the Packers don't return to glory on the field over the next few years.

Agreed and not sure if Murphy stepped in because he wanted to, out of pride or by order of the Executive Committee, but I do believe in doing so, he ultimately will be credited with the success or the failures of the new GM and coach. But yes, as you correctly pointed out, Murphy deserves a ton of credit for what he did outside of Football operations, it has set the organization up in a very good financial and operational position, now lets get back to winning some Championships on the field!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Agreed and not sure if Murphy stepped in because he wanted to, out of pride or by order of the Executive Committee, but I do believe in doing so, he ultimately will be credited with the success or the failures of the new GM and coach. But yes, as you correctly pointed out, Murphy deserves a ton of credit for what he did outside of Football operations, it has set the organization up in a very good financial and operational position, now lets get back to winning some Championships on the field!

The skating rink and inner tube hill are great but would much rather have the Championship Banners at Lambeau.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said it when it happened.... backing into that Super Bowl win with Rogers cost us several more years with Thompson and McCarthy than we should have had to endure.
I’d never give back a Super Bowl. But without that win both TT and MM would have been shown the door much earlier anc the franchise would potentially be in better shape than it is now.
The NFL is supposedly a QB driven league, so if people genuinely believe Rodgers is THAT special.... then the results GB has achieved over his career means the organization itself is very very average at best.
We’ve got 3-4 years to put something together.

But even great QBs like P. Manning and Brady had to have good teams and especially great defenses to win it all. It is no coincidence that the lone ring Rodgers has he had a great defense too. No QB can do it all by himself. I don't blame Rodgers but I do lay a lot of the blame at the feet of Thompson and those coaches for our inability to win another ring - so far - with AR under center.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Eventually everything rolls up to Murphy. He was content with not being in game side because we had TT. Now that is gone and till Gute steps up and proves himself, I think he'll have Murphy looming over his shoulder...which is the how it is supposed to be.

Honestly I don't think we have been that lax. In ideal world TT could have been fired perhaps last season and we were 1 season late, but that's the best we can push this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts