2023 Wildcard game at Dallas

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Sunday 3:30 LFT
vs old coach Mike McCarthy.
I expect CeeDee Lamb to eat Valentine alive. They saw where Chicago lined up vs the Packers zone.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll start first by saying we are probably going to lose. The Cowboys are very good, they're basically unbeatable at home and Parsons can really give us fits. The matchup doesn't exactly point to victory.

I'll add, though, that I don't think that it's a foregone conclusion. But all the little things would need to go right. Can't miss 40 yard FGs. Can't leave points on the board before halftime. Can't have all the close calls go against us. Things that you can get away with against the Bears, but not good teams.

I'll add that if we DID find a way to win, San Francisco has reason to be nervous. But we probably won't, and that's ok. We weren't even supposed to be here, and the future is bright (I say all this now to try to keep myself from being disappointed on Sunday when I know the reality is I'll still be super bummed if we lose, just the way it goes.)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll start first by saying we are probably going to lose. The Cowboys are very good, they're basically unbeatable at home and Parsons can really give us fits. The matchup doesn't exactly point to victory.

I'll add, though, that I don't think that it's a foregone conclusion. But all the little things would need to go right. Can't miss 40 yard FGs. Can't leave points on the board before halftime. Can't have all the close calls go against us. Things that you can get away with against the Bears, but not good teams.

I'll add that if we DID find a way to win, San Francisco has reason to be nervous. But we probably won't, and that's ok. We weren't even supposed to be here, and the future is bright (I say all this now to try to keep myself from being disappointed on Sunday when I know the reality is I'll still be super bummed if we lose, just the way it goes.)
All spot on.

We need Watson healthy.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imo, it's more important that Dillon is healthy though I'm not expecting any of the guys that didn't play yesterday to suit up on Sunday. I think we can run on Dallas.
Kind of amazing we made it this far, don't you think...
The packers appear to be on the upward arc of their season so I've decided not to waste my energy on worrying about things that may or may not happen going forward.

Teams that win SBs are those getting hot right at the end of the season. You want to be playing your best football rolling into the playoffs.

The cowboys do have CD Lamb, but from what I've seen lately we have 5 of those.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This will be the best QB (in 2023) that the Packers have faced this season, the best scoring offense (#1 at 30 PPG), and the 2nd best offense on a per drive basis (2.67 PPD).

Furthermore, they average 37 PPG at home. The Packers defense, which has been terrible on the balance of the season even with the opponents they played, hasn't seen anything close to this yet. In terms of overall offense, the Lions are closest, but Dak Prescott is multiple tiers better than Jared Goff. Whereas Goff cannot create offense outside of structure, Prescott will pick you apart, make second reaction throws, and get you with his legs.

All indicators would suggest that the Cowboys will eviscerate Joe Barry's defense. And that may be for the best-- seal the deal on Barry in a season where GB is almost certainly not a SB contender while still giving the youngest team in the league some valuable playoff experience.

The only glimmer here is that the Dallas offense was fizzling out before playing a Commanders team yesterday that was mentally already in Cancun.

In a three week stretch, they scored 10 @BUF, 20 @Mia, and 20 Vs DET. However, only one of those games was at home and all of these defense are better than GB's (2 of them much better). GB's defense has been hotter since Petals took more of a hand on that side of the ball post-TB, but they also haven't really been tested. I don't see a way they slow down Dallas unless the front just completely dominates the LOS. I don't give them great odds of doing that, but I suppose I wouldn't rule it out either.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This will be the best QB (in 2023) that the Packers have faced this season, the best scoring offense (#1 at 30 PPG), and the 2nd best offense on a per drive basis (2.67 PPD).

Furthermore, they average 37 PPG at home. The Packers defense, which has been terrible on the balance of the season even with the opponents they played, hasn't seen anything close to this yet. In terms of overall offense, the Lions are closest, but Dak Prescott is multiple tiers better than Jared Goff. Whereas Goff cannot create offense outside of structure, Prescott will pick you apart, make second reaction throws, and get you with his legs.

All indicators would suggest that the Cowboys will eviscerate Joe Barry's defense. And that may be for the best-- seal the deal on Barry in a season where GB is almost certainly not a SB contender while still giving the youngest team in the league some valuable playoff experience.

The only glimmer here is that the Dallas offense was fizzling out before playing a Commanders team yesterday that was mentally already in Cancun.

In a three week stretch, they scored 10 @BUF, 20 @Mia, and 20 Vs DET. However, only one of those games was at home and all of these defense are better than GB's (2 of them much better). GB's defense has been hotter since Petals took more of a hand on that side of the ball post-TB, but they also haven't really been tested. I don't see a way they slow down Dallas unless the front just completely dominates the LOS. I don't give them great odds of doing that, but I suppose I wouldn't rule it out either.
You know the saying in the NFL, on any given sunday.
Everything you said, every stat you posted is correct but when the giants took down the patriots many years ago when the patriots were having a monster season and were the overwhelming favorite, stats, quality of opponents , pts/game etc didn't mean a thing.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You know the saying in the NFL, on any given sunday.
Everything you said, every stat you posted is correct but when the giants took down the patriots many years ago when the patriots were having a monster season and were the overwhelming favorite, stats, quality of opponents , pts/game etc didn't mean a thing.

Well yeah but we still make predictions based on what we've seen and how we interpret it. Wouldn't be very interesting if the pre-game forum was just several dozen people saying "any given Sunday."

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This will be a high-scoring game. They score a lot at home, though they've played a lot of cupcakes there to pad that a little. I don't think they have much better luck stopping our offense either. The only that that will stop our offense is ourselves. We might not be the very best overall, but we're damn sure the most balanced. I'm feeling a score somewhere along the lines of maybe 35-31. Not sure who has the 35 though. Oh, fickit. I'm saying we win 35-31. There is ZERO pressure on our guys and TONS on them. Playing with house money here.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well yeah but we still make predictions based on what we've seen and how we interpret it. Wouldn't be very interesting if the pre-game forum was just several dozen people saying "any given Sunday."
I agree....an open forum allows for Everyone to express their opinion.
You may see something that I don't etc That's what makes things interesting.
My point was that I see a team on the rise with a whole bunch of new receivers getting open, making catches, giving Love many targets to choose from, which also means opposing defenses have to account for all of them. They just can't double one main guy ,because all of these guys can be considered dangerous.
On defense I see a team that has held opponents to a minuscule amount of points as of late. This is the same defense that would have given up 30+ a few games back, even vs a terrible offensive team so I see improvement there too.
My hope is we get past dallas because I really want to take down the 49rs after that fiasco a few years back where they beat us on a blocked punt.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree....an open forum allows for Everyone to express their opinion.
You may see something that I don't etc That's what makes things interesting.
My point was that I see a team on the rise with a whole bunch of new receivers getting open, making catches, giving Love many targets to choose from, which also means opposing defenses have to account for all of them. They just can't double one main guy ,because all of these guys can be considered dangerous.
On defense I see a team that has held opponents to a minuscule amount of points as of late. This is the same defense that would have given up 30+ a few games back, even vs a terrible offensive team so I see improvement there too.
My hope is we get past dallas because I really want to take down the 49rs after that fiasco a few years back where they beat us on a blocked punt.

Yeah, I see what you mean. The Packers are ascending. The Cowboys? It's harder to tell. They went through a rough stretch and then seemed to get their legs under them yesterday.

But they have been insane in Dallas this season. We'll see.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sunday 3:30 LFT
vs old coach Mike McCarthy.
I expect CeeDee Lamb to eat Valentine alive. They saw where Chicago lined up vs the Packers zone.
Who was watching Moore last night? We did a very good job on him. I wasn't really watching that.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny. When I was younger I would rely more on stats and rankings to try to get a feel for who is going to win a particular matchup. I estimate I've probably seen somewhere between 1200-1500 games in the last 35 years and I've found that my intuition is right more often than not. It's like you have this accumulated database that you subconsciously access and your brain says, "You know, we've seen this before about 15 times and these were the results."

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny. When I was younger I would rely more on stats and rankings to try to get a feel for who is going to win a particular matchup. I estimate I've probably seen somewhere between 1200-1500 games in the last 35 years and I've found that my intuition is right more often than not. It's like you have this accumulated database that you subconsciously access and your brain says, "You know, we've seen this before about 15 times and these were the results."
Nice post. That's where I am. Been a GB fan since Lombardi says.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably, his problems seem to be under 40 yards for some reason!
Unfortunately his college record was about 70% success on FGs at Auburn.
Hopefully he doesn't have to make them all going forward, just the ones in close games.

DoctorChicken

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greetings Packers fans. I look forward to our matchup in a few days. It should be a good one. I think you guys have a very solid team. I think Lafleur is a really good head coach.

The player I am the most worried about is Aaron Jones, by far.

The Cowboys are a team designed to score first, and then line up our four best pass rushers while the other team tries to play catch-up. The Cowboys are difficult to beat when a team is down by a couple scores and they have to try to throw the ball against Micah, Lawrence, Fowler and Armstrong. Those guys just get to the QB.

However, Dallas has problems when the opposition comes out swinging, scores first, and then runs the ball down our throats. That’s exactly what Buffalo did to beat us. That’s one of the reasons why the 49ers own us.

I really like Dallas’ chances if they score a couple TDs early and don’t let Jones go crazy. But if that doesn’t happen, it might be an uncomfortable game in Arlington.

Here’s hoping for a good game with no injuries!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably, his problems seem to be under 40 yards for some reason!
He's perfect under 40. 40-48, he's 4/8. 50+, he's 3/5. XP, same number of misses as FG - 34/40. As I suggested elsewhere, they should isolate him from the game action, and, when a TD is scored, tell him he's going to attempt a 33 yard FG.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I see what you mean. The Packers are ascending. The Cowboys? It's harder to tell. They went through a rough stretch and then seemed to get their legs under them yesterday.

But they have been insane in Dallas this season. We'll see.
Yes, the stretch of games the 'girls have won in row in Jerrah's World is nuts. I don't anticipate us winning but ya never know. TBH I'm just thrilled we are in the dance this year. If anyone would have told me we'd be in this position back in November I would have scoffed at that notion. This year I'm gonna savor it all, win or lose. :D

Members online

Latest posts