2023 Division round at the SF

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lest we think the Packers are some special unique situation with the 49ers, seems like the Bills have their own playoff nemesis in the Chiefs. Bounced by them 3 of the last 4 years. Similar result today too. Missed FG is the reason not in overtime.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lest we think the Packers are some special unique situation with the 49ers, seems like the Bills have their own playoff nemesis in the Chiefs. Bounced by them 3 of the last 4 years. Similar result today too. Missed FG is the reason not in overtime.
The Bills have never even won a Super Bowl. We have four, which doesn't sound bad. But we need another one in the coming years to keep our hand in. And yeah, sometimes kickers miss field goals. Some more than others.

I feel kind of stupid, because I was always a big fan of Crosby. But I was okay with moving on from him because we were kind of restarting the team with young talent, so I figured might as well do it with the kicker too. But now I wonder if we'd still be playing if we had kept Crosby.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could just about say the same thing for every team in the league.
They all have a nemesis.
You can say same about injuries. Every team thinks they were held back by losing some players due to injury, but every team has to deal with them.
As far as Carlson I was unhappy with him when he started missing those chippy XPs. He's the worst in the league in that category.
He's ok for seasonal play. We have the time to overcome his misses, but if we want to be SB contenders we need a more consistent money guy. When the game is on the line we need a guy we can depend on.
I was shocked hearing MLF say that every time he sends Carlson out he has to pray because he doesn't know what he'lll do this time. That is not a money guy!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones has always had great vision. He sees the holes and hits them quicker than about anyone I've ever seen and he can still do that as well as ever, but you saw his age a little bit in this game. 4 years ago, nobody would have caught him on that long 4th quarter run.

Jones at his fastest is a 4.49 forty guy...that isn't running away from anyone in a foot race in this NFL. Jones' advantage is getting by people before they route right.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, sure. Why not. You're right. It's not worth arguing with you.

He's very similar to McCaffrey if honest, neither are burners winning footraces...their vision, change of direction and burst get them past defenders and at times its too late to play catch up.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's very similar to McCaffrey if honest, neither are burners winning footraces...their vision, change of direction and burst get them past defenders and at times its too late to play catch up.
Fair enough. All I know is I've seen him get home on plays like that before. Maybe the guys chasing him were slow pokes too or maybe they were pass plays where he was wide open.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I see on that play is Watson running along side of AJ ...Watching...he may of had an angle to block number 7 coming up behind AJ. Watson need to look behind the run not down field.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Every team has this problem. You see this situation league wide where one team has anothers number.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Makes you wonder what if that game had been played in Green Bay? Might have been a different story. Maybe the refs wouldn't have been so intent on ripping us off also. But then again, as mentioned earlier, we had that #1 seed two years in a row and did jack squat with it.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I only saw one questionable call. Them not calling Delay of Game on the McCaffrey TD.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Man, what a bummer. We had them and we flat out blew it. Sunday I felt like there was a death in the family. I think the youth of the team kicked in.

I have two thoughts. First, teams don't get that opportunity very often. It is disappointing that they came up short and in that fashion. Second, to be a #7 seed, beat the #2, and almost beat the #1, the future is bright. A couple years ago the loss to the 49ers was a window closing on Rodgers. This is a window opening on Love.

GPG! Onto next year!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I only saw one questionable call. Them not calling Delay of Game on the McCaffrey TD.
I'm not one to blame losses on bad calls, everybody gets them. But on two of our fourth and ones, they tried to place the ball about a foot or more where it should have been placed. The second time MLF challenged it, and won. There was also an uncalled face mask, but I'm not going to quibble over that.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was also Owens being blocked in the back on the Mcaffrey's touchdown. There was also a case to be made for intentional grounding on Purdy on their game-winning drive. I'm not one to complain about officiating it generally has nothing to do with the end of the game and evens out anyway, but they did seem to be every little thing would either be ignored or go to the 49ers way

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wins to and around the corner almost always and always has. He still has very good speed and more importantly, quickness imo.
Agree....AJ isn't the fastest guy in the NFL but he does seem to have an uncanny ability to make quick cuts, slice thru holes at sharp angles, and fight for extra yards.....

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was also Owens being blocked in the back on the Mcaffrey's touchdown. There was also a case to be made for intentional grounding on Purdy on their game-winning drive. I'm not one to complain about officiating it generally has nothing to do with the end of the game and evens out anyway, but they did seem to be every little thing would either be ignored or go to the 49ers way
Home field. But we were only flagged for one accepted penalty the whole game.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Home field. But we were only flagged for one accepted penalty the whole game.
Now that I've had time to reflect on the SF game there were many things one can point to that let us down.
For me I feel our biggest mistake happened early in the game when we had that 4th and 1 and MLF had them rush to the line for a QB sneak which failed. Up to that play we were moving the ball well vs their defense and were setting the tone of how this game was going to go, which could have been a repeat of how the cowboy game started.
My point is I feel in that kind of situation it requires a more thoughtful approach of what kind of play to run instead of rushing the heck out of our guys. We missed a big scoring opportunity there that could have knocked the 49rs back on there heels. Instead it backfired. Not only did we miss out on getting points on the board, it also gave the 49rs a big boost of momentum.
You could say we got a bad spot, but why leave it to that. Why leave it to an inch here a there. Run a play where it's a clearly a 1st down, no questions asked.
I guess I just feel We could have run away to a big lead if we had converted there.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that I've had time to reflect on the SF game there were many things one can point to that let us down.
For me I feel our biggest mistake happened early in the game when we had that 4th and 1 and MLF had them rush to the line for a QB sneak which failed. Up to that play we were moving the ball well vs their defense and were setting the tone of how this game was going to go, which could have been a repeat of how the cowboy game started.
My point is I feel in that kind of situation it requires a more thoughtful approach of what kind of play to run instead of rushing the heck out of our guys. We missed a big scoring opportunity there that could have knocked the 49rs back on there heels. Instead it backfired. Not only did we miss out on getting points on the board, it also gave the 49rs a big boost of momentum.
You could say we got a bad spot, but why leave it to that. Why leave it to an inch here a there. Run a play where it's a clearly a 1st down, no questions asked.
I guess I just feel We could have run away to a big lead if we had converted there.
Very possibly true. I like the idea of bootleg rpo with tight end in those circumstances which I believe gives you a legitimate shot at a TD on that play.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was almost a turning point. MLF appeared to try and copy teams that did that during the season. What he failed to heed was the opponent. There is a reason the 9ers were the top dog. And without Dillon and a top center crashing that 9er line is not always going to work.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was almost a turning point. MLF appeared to try and copy teams that did that during the season. What he failed to heed was the opponent. There is a reason the 9ers were the top dog. And without Dillon and a top center crashing that 9er line is not always going to work.
When it comes to looking at stats my view changes depending on where we are in the seasonal cycle.
For a playoff run at the end of the season I dont look at seasonal stats.
I much prefer the hot teams, team that are playing well NOW. What they did at the beginning of the year is not important to me.
Now that our season is over my view flips. Since barry has been let go we will be on the hunt for a replacement. This is the time where I feel seasonal stats become paramount in evaluating talent. I want to see how he did overall, not just in a few games. Where did his D rank in the important categories. How did he handle the inevitable injuries. How was he on making 2nd half adjustments. I'm now looking for an overall final ranking of a top 5 defense if possible.
I don't have a specific candidate in mind, but an example would be the guy from Carolina which finished 4th in overall defense despite being on a miserable team.
Hopefully we can find a who can take raw ordinary talent and mold it into extraordinary. A guy who can motivate guys to become the best they can be. A guy with a sharp mind who can out fox the opponent.
What a team we would have if our D was as good as our offense.
I

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it comes to looking at stats my view changes depending on where we are in the seasonal cycle.
For a playoff run at the end of the season I dont look at seasonal stats.
I much prefer the hot teams, team that are playing well NOW. What they did at the beginning of the year is not important to me.
Now that our season is over my view flips. Since barry has been let go we will be on the hunt for a replacement. This is the time where I feel seasonal stats become paramount in evaluating talent. I want to see how he did overall, not just in a few games. Where did his D rank in the important categories. How did he handle the inevitable injuries. How was he on making 2nd half adjustments. I'm now looking for an overall final ranking of a top 5 defense if possible.
I don't have a specific candidate in mind, but an example would be the guy from Carolina which finished 4th in overall defense despite being on a miserable team.
Hopefully we can find a who can take raw ordinary talent and mold it into extraordinary. A guy who can motivate guys to become the best they can be. A guy with a sharp mind who can out fox the opponent.
What a team we would have if our D was as good as our offense.
I
And that Carolina offense was horrific except against us. To finish 4th when you have to be out on the field all day is quite an accomplishment.

Members online