2023 Division round at the SF

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's the perception of who we drafted him to be, but he has not actually been that guy.

Aaron Jones is actually far better in 3rd/4th and short situations.
Aaron Jones cannot run every play. The man is 29 years old and he needs guys to give him breaks. You think Wilson and Taylor are going to get you that yard? My point was never that he should replace Jones. Not sure where you got that idea. My point was that he could have been useful and there were 2 or 3 plays where he would have been.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
Did this game kinda remind anyone of our 2021 NFC contest?
The lower scoring.
The missed FG
The Aaron Jones breaking free rumbling 50 yards downfield.
The Weather being an element that slowed both teams
The last SF catching up with 5:00 left with that blocked Punt
SF Driving down the field inside 2:00 warning for the Win

This was surreal to me as I thought about it. Very similar type Loss.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did this game kinda remind anyone of our 2021 NFC contest?
The lower scoring.
The missed FG
The Aaron Jones breaking free rumbling 50 yards downfield.
The Weather being an element that slowed both teams
The last SF catching up with 5:00 left with that blocked Punt
SF Driving down the field inside 2:00 warning for the Win

This was surreal to me as I thought about it. Very similar type Loss.
Not a game I want to remember but Yes similar,
Only difference is that team was made up of older stars that just couldn't put it together anymore, no matter if we won 10 or 15 games during the season, they couldn't make it happen.
At least this new team has a ton of potential, so much more to look forward to than what we had back then.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones cannot run every play. The man is 29 years old and he needs guys to give him breaks. You think Wilson and Taylor are going to get you that yard? My point was never that he should replace Jones. Not sure where you got that idea. My point was that he could have been useful and there were 2 or 3 plays where he would have been.
No doubt running backs do take a beating, which shortens their careers. Even macafrey was seen on the sidelines during the game masaging his calf muscles.
So I agree we don't know how much longer Jones can play, how many snaps he can take per game and even how many games he will be in during a season.
I don't know if the backups we have now are up to that task so I would like to see us start looking from some draft picks that can we can bring along much like was done when Love was drafted so they can get the necessary experience to step in when our current backs can no longer go.
We have a good QB but he can't do it by himself. We need to have a good running game to complement him.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said Jones should be out there every play. I think that if you're 3rd/4th and a long yard though, he should be out there. And if Dillon is instead, I think you've probably got better plays in your playbook than counting on him to get that yard.

I get the idea, I just think you're imagining him to be something he's not. He never became that Derrick Henry/Marshawn Lynch 3rd and 4th and short thumper that we wanted him to be. I'm in favor of finding that guy, but I don't think Dillon is it any more so than the guys behind him. Has he picked it up before? Of course. But he's also come up short many times, because he isn't as powerful as he looks and his footwork isn't good.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt running backs do take a beating, which shortens their careers. Even macafrey was seen on the sidelines during the game masaging his calf muscles.
So I agree we don't know how much longer Jones can play, how many snaps he can take per game and even how many games he will be in during a season.
I don't know if the backups we have now are up to that task so I would like to see us start looking from some draft picks that can we can bring along much like was done when Love was drafted so they can get the necessary experience to step in when our current backs can no longer go.
We have a good QB but he can't do it by himself. We need to have a good running game to complement him.
Jones has always had great vision. He sees the holes and hits them quicker than about anyone I've ever seen and he can still do that as well as ever, but you saw his age a little bit in this game. 4 years ago, nobody would have caught him on that long 4th quarter run.

Last edited:

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones has always had great vision. He sees the holes and hits them quicker than about anyone I've ever seen and he can still do that as well as ever, but you saw his age a little bit in this game. 4 years ago, nobody would have caught him on that long 4th quarter run.
He did seem to run out of gas on that 4th qtr run, but his cut back ability, taking sharp angles as holes open was very evident.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least this new team has a ton of potential, so much more to look forward to than what we had back then.
Makes you wonder what if that game had been played in Green Bay? Might have been a different story. Maybe the refs wouldn't have been so intent on ripping us off also. But then again, as mentioned earlier, we had that #1 seed two years in a row and did jack squat with it.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Makes you wonder what if that game had been played in Green Bay? Might have been a different story. Maybe the refs wouldn't have been so intent on ripping us off also. But then again, as mentioned earlier, we had that #1 seed two years in a row and did jack squat with it.
I guess we'll never know, but I never liked being the top seed. The season starts to become more about that than winnng the SB, and over the years it just seemed that teams having to play every week did better than the well rested team. Having guys sit out a game a two seemed to disrupt their weekly rhythm, and come out flat.
Just one more play going our way. might have meant a win for us, but in a way I'm kind of happy it didn't happen. Winning the SB on your first try can make you arrogant, thinking, well this is easy.
I like where we are. They had a taste of what its like, but have been left with a hunger for more. A great motivation to work hard, stick together and come back next year with a bag full of experience.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A great game, a great season for such a young team.
Some things went our way, some did not. Same can be said for 49rs.
It was back and forth and either team could have won. That is what a playoff game should look like.
You could say carlson missed FG hurt us, but SF had FG blocked too. Everything balanced out for both.
Our guys got a lot of experience from this game. Maybe next year this experience will help them to be better when they have the final drive with a little over a minute left in the clock.
The stats were close except the turnovers which we should have had 2. The depth of running and playing run D is crucial in the red zone. One mistake Gute made this season was letting Rasul Douglas go. Could have used his sure handed hands last night.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Home field is home field for a reason. However, I think we play worse where the weather is colder or icier. Or even wet like last night.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we'll never know, but I never liked being the top seed. The season starts to become more about that than winnng the SB, and over the years it just seemed that teams having to play every week did better than the well rested team.
That sounds good, but the stats don't seem to bear that out. Half the top seeds advance to the Super Bowl.

Home field is home field for a reason. However, I think we play worse where the weather is colder or icier. Or even wet like last night.
You have a point, Green Bay's harsh weather can make our passing game difficult. Plus, the "Lambeau Mystique" seems to have vanished lie a fart in the wind. What once was an advantage may not be so much anymore. Whether the visiting team is from a warm weather spot or not can be a factor, too.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That sounds good, but the stats don't seem to bear that out. Half the top seeds advance to the Super Bowl.

You have a point, Green Bay's harsh weather can make our passing game difficult. Plus, the "Lambeau Mystique" seems to have vanished lie a fart in the wind. What once was an advantage may not be so much anymore. Whether the visiting team is from a warm weather spot or not can be a factor, too.
Look at how well we played in Dallas, Detroit, and Minnesota. All indoor.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. I don't really want them to start talking about putting a dome on Lambeau again though.
The rain was torrential at times last night. Did it affect Carlson's kick? It did not affect the 52 yarder by Frisco. The field was in much better condition than the old stadium by the water.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a game I want to remember but Yes similar,
Only difference is that team was made up of older stars that just couldn't put it together anymore, no matter if we won 10 or 15 games during the season, they couldn't make it happen.
Sadly..they still have alot of the same starters on defense!

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two years ago Jones also couldn't outrun the 49ers when he caught that long pass just before halftime.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That may be so but you have to remember there are 2 top seeds every year AFC and NFC. Since 1975 when the seeding system started the top seed in NFC has won 16/48 SBs while there were 9/48 from AFC.

so hit rate of #1 seed winning SB
for NFC 16/48= 33%
for AFC 9/48= 19%
So if you're an NFC team like packers #1 seed chances is 1 out of 3

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rain was torrential at times last night. Did it affect Carlson's kick? It did not affect the 52 yarder by Frisco. The field was in much better condition than the old stadium by the water.
Unfortunately, it wasn't exactly shocking that he missed it.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That may be so but you have to remember there are 2 top seeds every year AFC and NFC. Since 1975 when the seeding system started the top seed in NFC has won 16/48 SBs while there were 9/48 from AFC.

so hit rate of #1 seed winning SB
for NFC 16/48= 33%
for AFC 9/48= 19%
So if you're an NFC team like packers #1 seed chances is 1 out of 3
So that also means that #1 seeds have won 25 out of 48 Super Bowls, which means the Super Bowl is most likely to be won by a #1 seed.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that's the case. He's never been the faster than anyone on the field runner.