2017 roster cuts

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Barclay needing to go on IR helps explain the surprise of keeping 10 OL.

Reese2017

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, it's funny for a couple reasons. One being that fringe roster guys like Brian Prices are supposedly the difference between ineptitude and being really good. Secondly, I find it kind of amusing that people think this defense is still built around a 3-4 set.
Well, it's funny for a couple reasons. One being that fringe roster guys like Brian Prices are supposedly the difference between ineptitude and being really good. Secondly, I find it kind of amusing that people think this defense is still built around a 3-4 set.[/
Well, it's funny for a couple reasons. One being that fringe roster guys like Brian Prices are supposedly the difference between ineptitude and being really good. Secondly, I find it kind of amusing that people think this defense is still built around a 3-4 set.
I did. He is my neighbor.
ok so

Reese2017

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read this now, sorry it didn't work out. I was pulling, for him. Hope he does well in Dallas ( that's not easy for me to say)
He will he has heart and will combined with skill undrated because he played with torn labrum for two years before he had surgery Green Bay really lost bad Favre came to you guys because Atlanta gave up on him and what happened he's in the hall

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if we call it what it is, the 2-4-5 is a failed experiment.
Watch capers bring the 3 dline front back in a big way. It's happening.
As usual, they go with speed over power. Nose tackles are supposed to put 2 olinemen back a step, every down. Then hold the front. They don't need to be fast. With a good front 7 around him, the nose still gets his share just holding the front. They run right to him....

Anyways. I think we blew it. Clark and Francois are going to be fine. But Clark should be at end. with Francois pounding the middle, and a fresh price rotating in...that duo at nt would make Daniels, and Clark unstoppable. Which would make our lbs literally unstoppable.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
As usual, they go with speed over power. Nose tackles are supposed to put 2 olinemen back a step, every down. Then hold the front. They don't need to be fast. With a good front 7 around him, the nose still gets his share just holding the front. They run right to him....

Anyways. I think we blew it. Clark and Francois are going to be fine. But Clark should be at end. with Francois pounding the middle, and a fresh price rotating in...that duo at nt would make Daniels, and Clark unstoppable. Which would make our lbs literally unstoppable.

Bro... we kept 12 freaking defensive backs. That's not a sign that the 3-4 is making a comeback. And it won't, here or league wide, until passing and 3+ receiving sets slow down.

The reason the Packers have struggled on defense has nothing to do with not playing more base 3-4. All defenses, dominant or lousy, are playing more sub package than base defense nowadays. They've struggled out of a combination of needing better talent, dealing with injuries, and having an abundance of youth in one of the most complex systems in the league.

The type of 2 gapping 3-4 defense you're talking about hasn't been in vogue for a long time. It had its place but it does not fit what offenses are doing in 2017. I don't understand why some fans struggle with that.

Imagine trying to cover Golden Tate, Marvin Jones, Kenny Golladay, Eric Ebron, and Theo Rid**** with two corners, two safeties, and four linebackers. It would be a blood bath.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bro... we kept 12 freaking defensive backs. That's not a sign that the 3-4 is making a comeback. And it won't, here or league wide, until passing and 3+ receiving sets slow down.

The reason the Packers have struggled on defense has nothing to do with not playing more base 3-4. All defenses, dominant or lousy, are playing more sub package than base defense nowadays. They've struggled out of a combination of needing better talent, dealing with injuries, and having an abundance of youth in one of the most complex systems in the league.

The type of 2 gapping 3-4 defense you're talking about hasn't been in vogue for a long time. It had its place but it does not fit what offenses are doing in 2017. I don't understand why some fans struggle with that.

Imagine trying to cover Golden Tate, Marvin Jones, Kenny Golladay, Eric Ebron, and Theo Rid**** with two corners, two safeties, and four linebackers. It would be a blood bath.
But we still run a west coast offense, right?

:D

I have seen posts and talked to people who think we still run a WCO. NFL strategies evolve much quicker than many fans.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sounds like you gave up before the fight started...
You hear of the recent trend of the 4-3 coming back?
Sure they might be in nickel 80 % of the time. Buy they still bring 3 Dlinemen and a lb, and get their pressure with power rather than speed...

You act like playing 3 Dlinemen with a safety like Jones or Burnett up playing ilb. Isn't like playing nickel with 3 Dlinemen...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sounds like you gave up before the fight started...
You hear of the recent trend of the 4-3 coming back?
Sure they might be in nickel 80 % of the time. Buy they still bring 3 Dlinemen and a lb, and get their pressure with power rather than speed...

You act like playing 3 Dlinemen with a safety like Jones or Burnett up playing ilb. Isn't like playing nickel with 3 Dlinemen...

More teams might be moving back to the 4-3 as their base set, when they use base defense, but that isn't the same thing as using more base fronts overall. And what you've described is big nickel, it's taken the place of traditional base on a lot of running downs, and still presents problems when defending spread out passing attacks.

Yes, you can play 3 DL and still be in sub. But they aren't the types of players you're talking about. You're talking about a traditional NT in a 2 gapping front. That's not the same thing as what the Patriots were doing last year for instance.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More teams might be moving back to the 4-3 as their base set, when they use base defense, but that isn't the same thing as using more base fronts overall. And what you've described is big nickel, it's taken the place of traditional base on a lot of running downs, and still presents problems when defending spread out passing attacks.

Yes, you can play 3 DL and still be in sub. But they aren't the types of players you're talking about. You're talking about a traditional NT in a 2 gapping front. That's not the same thing as what the Patriots were doing last year for instance.
Well then get rid of the elephant olb and the extra dime back. And bring on the big nickel...
You also notice that the Ol gets 10 guys, while one barely makes it a day before ir. Those high numbers show weak depth imo. The 12 secondary shows me that the secondary was embarrassing last year, and our #1 cb retired at 30...

I personally am optimistic as a whole, the defense will look better. Because the dline is getting better.

Bringing in dial tomorrow has me kind of optimistic that we can still pull off a dominant dline with solid depth.

Brooks, and Odom will be much better backups than Elliott and fackrell. From a pass rushing stand point. The Olbs have a lot of potential imo.

H

HardRightEdge

With the Packers not having a valid backup center on the roster I doubt the team plans to move on from Barclay or put him on injured reserve if there's any chance of him being back within the first few weeks of the season.
See that...Barclay to IR.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The better pass rushers tend to be smaller and more athletic, that's the story. The 330 pounder who can play a 0 technique and reliably get 5 sacks a year would be headed to Canton so fast, your head would spin.

It's a passing league, so run defending linemen who can't rush the passer are less valuable. You need look no further than the Packers keeping Ringo over Price, even though Price is (imho) a better run defender than Ringo is pass rusher.

I will say I wouldn't be surprised if Lowry gets some snaps as an Elephant at least as a change up. He's show some good rush, thought his arms may not be quite long enough to survive out there a ton.

Run being key word in your quote. Yes, a NT is supposed to make life hell for 2 offensive linemen on running plays. He can be two pillars of granite a demand the offense move him. On a running plays, the defensive lineman who plays to a draw has (generally) won.

On a PASSING play, I don't know of a single (traditional) NT that commanded a double team on a passing play. If he sticks to what he does best, and be two pillars of granite a demand the offense move him, the offense will smile and say, "Thank you!" On a running play, defensive lineman/EDGE player who plays to a draw has (generally) lost. Further, if you don't have those two EDGE players disrupting, there's no reason for the quarterback to step up into the pocket that the inside rush has pushed back.

Also: Nickel. Front 6.

H

HardRightEdge

Pulling Reeses leg because he is shortcoming with his claims of being an NFL NT. I beieve him now, as it is his son. My neighbor is very tight lipped and I would never ask.
Brian Price's father is listed as Brian Price Sr. in the Wikipedia thumbnail.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...i10k1j0i46k1j0i131i10k1j0i22i30k1.wdZ7-pj78Nw

profootballreference.com lists no such player:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/search/search.fcgi?search=brian price

If he lied about being an NFL NT, why wouldn't he lie about being the guy's father? People on the internets say funny stuff sometimes.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter to me who anyone in this forum is beyond the screen, for all you guys know, I'm Jeff Janis :cool:

Of course, posing as someone you really aren't isn't cool nor necessary.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The better pass rushers tend to be smaller and more athletic, that's the story. The 330 pounder who can play a 0 technique and reliably get 5 sacks a year would be headed to Canton so fast, your head would spin.

It's a passing league, so run defending linemen who can't rush the passer are less valuable. You need look no further than the Packers keeping Ringo over Price, even though Price is (imho) a better run defender than Ringo is pass rusher.

I will say I wouldn't be surprised if Lowry gets some snaps as an Elephant at least as a change up. He's show some good rush, thought his arms may not be quite long enough to survive out there a ton.

Run being key word in your quote. Yes, a NT is supposed to make life hell for 2 offensive linemen on running plays. He can be two pillars of granite a demand the offense move him. On a running plays, the defensive lineman who plays to a draw has (generally) won.

On a PASSING play, I don't know of a single (traditional) NT that commanded a double team on a passing play. If he sticks to what he does best, and be two pillars of granite a demand the offense move him, the offense will smile and say, "Thank you!" On a running play, defensive lineman/EDGE player who plays to a draw has (generally) lost. Further, if you don't have those two EDGE players disrupting, there's no reason for the quarterback to step up into the pocket that the inside rush has pushed back.

Also: Nickel. Front 6.

It's like in chess, when you have to sacrifice a bishop or rook to break the defense open.
In this case. A player like price doesn't just step up and stand there. He, and most 330 pounders alike will bull rush and pressure the qb by squeezing the pocket. Not allowing him to step up, and such, until the oline doubles him.....

Forcing the double is the victory. What ever happens after that, either it's 1 de and 4 olbs. I don't care. Because the defense has a +1 man advantage...

Personally, I would use that advantage to bring more heat, forcing mistakes, allowing the secondary to play aggressive. Snub out the offense before it gets going...but it could also let us bring an extra nickel on the field to be more conservative with the advantage...

Price brought that imo. Young enough to chase, and tough enough to hold the front...

It's what I considered the corner stone of the 3-4. A nose who forces the double. Without that, I believe the 3-4, or 2-4 or anything in between, is simply complicating things without reaping the rewards of adding another lb to diversify blitz options.
To put it another way. Why replace a dlineman with a lb, if that lb is certain to have a olineman on him, since there isn't a dlineman in front to take the blocks...
At that point, you might as well bring a 300 pounded to go against the 300 pounder?

We get too caught up in scheme, and we end up abandoning the trenches to cover... the good offenses beat us because we can't go toe to toe.
A great nose tackle brings the fight to them. And that's what this defense is missing.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saints to our waiver wire players is as the Vikings are to our vet free agents. Scooped up as soon as available. :laugh:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brian Price's father is listed as Brian Price Sr. in the Wikipedia thumbnail.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...i10k1j0i46k1j0i131i10k1j0i22i30k1.wdZ7-pj78Nw

profootballreference.com lists no such player:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/search/search.fcgi?search=brian price

If he lied about being an NFL NT, why wouldn't he lie about being the guy's father? People on the internets say funny stuff sometimes.
I did the same searches earlier.... didn't add up to me either, but figured it wasn't worth persuing lol.