2017 roster cuts

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really want to understand why you think a nose tackle is typically a good pass rusher. Where is this coming from? Why do you think this?

Most of the league (all?) pulls their NT when they're defending the pass. This isn't just a Capers thing.
Nose tackle is bigger and stronger than the olinemen blocking him. Leading to a double team when they want to run and move him. But the nose can do the same thing on a passing down imo. If they can push the olineman into the qbs lap, the oline will need to double team him again.... and that is the victory. He isn't a pass rusher. He is a pocket squeezer. The DEs and olbs are the ones who finish...
Like I said before. If the DEs and olbs are getting around the edge, then if the qb steps up, the nose doesn't have to chase. The qb comes to him...

Point is, you need the power guys to take up the blockers, so the speed guys can do their job.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nose tackle is bigger and stronger than the olinemen blocking him.

Bigger, I'll probably give you. Stronger--you'll have to prove that.

Leading to a double team when they want to run and move him. But the nose can do the same thing on a passing down imo. If they can push the olineman into the qbs lap, the oline will need to double team him again.... and that is the victory. He isn't a pass rusher. He is a pocket squeezer. The DEs and olbs are the ones who finish...

So, let's pretend for a moment that you're right--why does the entire league do it the way the Dom does? By that I mean, in passing situations:

1) Pull the NT
2) Use two smaller (relatively speaking. Mack and Miller are 250, for example) edge rushers
3) Optionally slide someone who isn't always 2/3 tackle to 2/3 tackle?

For example: When the Packers were a 4-3 team and Jenkins first broke out and well paid (2007), he was played as a traditional end on running downs and took KGB off the field. This was generally a good idea, as KGB was a liability in the run game. When they switched to nickel, they would pull Ryan Pickett ( the NT), use KGB and Kampman at EDGE, Jenkins and Corey Williams at defensive tackle.

Only Williams was over 300 (313) and Jenkins was a "tiny" 292.

So that's question 1: Why does the entire league do it differently?

Question 2: What's really so different of a front of Kampman, Williams, Jenkins, KGB vs. Matthews, Clark, Daniels, Perry? Lets check out weights:

286 + 311 + 292 + 255 = 1144 (2007)

255 + 314 + 291 + 271 = 1131 (2017)

There we go. A whopping 13 pounds difference. Elaborate for me.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Bigger, I'll probably give you. Stronger--you'll have to prove that.

So, let's pretend for a moment that you're right--why does the entire league do it the way the Dom does? By that I mean, in passing situations:

1) Pull the NT
2) Use two smaller (relatively speaking. Mack and Miller are 250, for example) edge rushers
3) Optionally slide someone who isn't always 2/3 tackle to 2/3 tackle?

For example: When the Packers were a 4-3 team and Jenkins first broke out and well paid (2007), he was played as a traditional end on running downs and took KGB off the field. This was generally a good idea, as KGB was a liability in the run game. When they switched to nickel, they would pull Ryan Pickett ( the NT), use KGB and Kampman at EDGE, Jenkins and Corey Williams at defensive tackle.

Only Williams was over 300 (313) and Jenkins was a "tiny" 292.

So that's question 1: Why does the entire league do it differently?

Question 2: What's really so different of a front of Kampman, Williams, Jenkins, KGB vs. Matthews, Clark, Daniels, Perry? Lets check out weights:

286 + 311 + 292 + 255 = 1144 (2007)

255 + 314 + 291 + 271 = 1131 (2017)

There we go. A whopping 13 pounds difference. Elaborate for me.

I appreciate your effort trying to explain the basic concept of pass rushing schemes in a 3-4 defense but unfortunately I highly doubt Eli/Slacker will ever latch on to it.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I appreciate your effort trying to explain the basic concept of pass rushing schemes in a 3-4 defense but unfortunately I highly doubt Eli/Slacker will ever latch on to it.

Heh. It is my hope if I keep showing how similar they actually are, someone might get it.

Now if I can get them to grasp that most modern 3-4s and modern 4-3 under defenses are basically the same, I'd be impressed.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Jaguars released Max McCaffrey yesterday, wouldn't mind seeing the Packers pick him up and put him on the PS spot that was opened when they promoted Whitehead.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts