2016 Stats in Historical Perspective

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully this is readable. Our offense ended up playing pretty respectably down the stretch but our injuries and problems in the secondary certainly led to some bad defensive stats:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to see yards per carry... Total yards can give a skewed perception..

We are tied 5th with 4.5

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What really jumps out is the excellent pass defense of the 2010 super bowl team. They were really good in total yards, scoring and passing yards per game. Again for the umpteenth time, defense wins championships even with Aaron Rodgers as your qb. The current team looks like another pretender when you look at the defensive performance. Even the record setting 2011 team was a one and done pretender because the defense collapsed with the loss of Collins, Jenkins and the drop off of Williams and to some extent Woodson.

D

Deleted member 6794

Again for the umpteenth time, defense wins championships even with Aaron Rodgers as your qb.

That has changed significantly over the last 10 years with the Super Bowl winners over that period averaging being ranked at 9.8 in points scored while at 11.3 in points allowed. In addition two teams outside the top 20 in points allowed won the title.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
That has changed significantly over the last 10 years with the Super Bowl winners over that period averaging being ranked at 9.8 in points scored while at 11.3 in points allowed. In addition two teams outside the top 20 in points allowed won the title.

This is true. Just like to point out two teams on defense and offense during that time period.

In that ten year time span the defense rank is off a bit due to two more than anything else. The 2006 Colts and the 2011 Giants. The Giants were 25 in the league in PPG during the regular season, but in the playoffs somehow they managed to hold the other playoff teams to 14 PPG. Which in the regular season would have put them at number one. And the Colts? Well let's just say sometimes luck wins out. (or in that year, Manning wins out)

Meanwhile on the offense that number is a bit off because of the 2015 Bronco's and their 15th ranking and the 2008 Steelers at 20. Steelers did have the number 1 defense that year.

It will be interesting to see what happens this year. With the Pats at number 1 in PPG on Defense, and 3 on offense they are going to be the team to beat. On the NFC side the Cowboys are at 5 and 5 in both categories. They are the only teams in the playoffs that score in the top 5 in both categories.

If I were a betting man, I would put money on those two to be in the Super Bowl.

Sky King

Reaction score
...It will be interesting to see what happens this year. With the Pats at number 1 in PPG on Defense, and 3 on offense they are going to be the team to beat. On the NFC side the Cowboys are at 5 and 5 in both categories. They are the only teams in the playoffs that score in the top 5 in both categories.

If I were a betting man, I would put money on those two to be in the Super Bowl.
Conventional wisdom probably is in total harmony with your bet. Yet, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see both of them lose a conference playoff game for no logical reason whatsoever.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Conventional wisdom probably is in total harmony with your bet. Yet, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see both of them lose a conference playoff game for no logical reason whatsoever.
That's why they play the games. The intangibles. The Fumble, interception, the defense stepping up it's game................

Reaction score
Hopefully this is readable. Our offense ended up playing pretty respectably down the stretch but our injuries and problems in the secondary certainly led to some bad defensive stats:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Most our take aways came in this 6 game winning streak... We keep that up, we keep winning.
Yes. Our Defense not only has improved markedly but I was surprised to hear this statistic recently. ..
During the last 6 games our Defense ranked #6 in the league in points allowed. If there was ever a time to get hot, we picked the right time. We have become the team everyone is worried about.. and if we beat NY we should be because it will alleviate the notion by some that we are overrated. NY is the only team to beat the Cowboys and they did it twice.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Divisional games... Sometimes lesser teams rise to the ,occasion against division rivals.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I don`t get this argument that a team must be better because they beat another. Circumstances on the day can totally destroy that theory. It`s a level playing field today. Yes the temperature probably gives us a slight advantage, but injuries during the game can change all that. We just have to hope that all of our guys step up to the plate and give it everything.
Several weeks ago when we were in our slump, I went on record as saying I just wanted the suffering to stop, and boy, was I wrong. I`m nervous as hell about today, but excitedly nervous. I`ve watched again and again clips on u-tube hoping we can emulate those great plays. Go Pack Go. And especially to Packattack12, I`ve admired your continual optimism throughout this run ;).

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I don`t get this argument that a team must be better because they beat another. Circumstances on the day can totally destroy that theory. It`s a level playing field today. Yes the temperature probably gives us a slight advantage, but injuries during the game can change all that. We just have to hope that all of our guys step up to the plate and give it everything.
Several weeks ago when we were in our slump, I went on record as saying I just wanted the suffering to stop, and boy, was I wrong. I`m nervous as hell about today, but excitedly nervous. I`ve watched again and again clips on u-tube hoping we can emulate those great plays. Go Pack Go. And especially to Packattack12, I`ve admired your continual optimism throughout this run ;).
:tup:

4 games to go.