2015 Salary Cap

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Do we choose Davon House or Tramon Williams? Sign them both? What is everyone's thoughts on that? I love what Davon House did for us this season and of course can never forget who got us through playoffs the year we won the Superbowl, and epic interception during (one of) Romo's collaspe last season, but can we afford both?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we choose Davon House or Tramon Williams? Sign them both? What is everyone's thoughts on that? I love what Davon House did for us this season and of course can never forget who got us through playoffs the year we won the Superbowl, and epic interception during (one of) Romo's collaspe last season, but can we afford both?

We probably could afford both, but that still doesn't make it smart to put much money into the top 3 corners with Shields already having a big deal.

I see House getting resigned and Tramon moving on.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your basic assumptions appear to be correct, but you went off the rails with Quarless. The Packers need 'multiples' at tight end to make McCarthy's offense work. When Finley was playing, they still had 2-4 other tight ends on the roster. There's no reason to cut Quarless when he finally looks like he can play, and ditto with Neal. In the end, the salary cap means performance on the field. Who will perform at a championship level given the money? Always remember the other 31 teams are looking for the exact same things as the Packers.
The reality is Cobb or Bulaga will be gone as the market will inflate their values higher than the Packers will pay. If neither are signed by March 1, they are both gone. The choice between House and Williams will be interesting. Both will command top dollar on the open market, even if Williams is 32. TT always goes young, so my take is he might let BOTH of them go, Williams because of age and House because of health concerns, start Shields and Hayward and look for cornerback help in the draft.
The most intriguing place will be in the middle of the defense. I'm not convinced they won't move Matthews to the middle and look for another edge pass rusher. Probably not, but it is something to consider.
I'm one of the few who thinks there will be SIGNIFICANT changes among the starting 22 next season.

Hayward primarily plays slot corner. He should not be our guy to start outside.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
We probably could afford both, but that still doesn't make it smart to put much money into the top 3 corners with Shields already having a big deal.

That's what I am hoping for. Save the money

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hayward primarily plays slot corner. He should not be our guy to start outside.
I think in a perfect world he would stay the slot/nickel corner but I am not convinced he can't play on the outside just yet. He has great hip turn as well as a knack for playing the ball. While he doesn't have Sam's speed he has enough to not be a liability. Speed is great don't get me wrong but overrated to a certain extent because football is a game of angles and CH seems to play those well and puts himself in a good position more times than not. I also believe that last year he was mentally working himself back into "game shape" and we will see a more confident, explosive player this upcoming season. Maybe you are right but I don't think there is a large enough sample size to write him off as a possible every down outside corner. Regardless, with the current state of offenses in the league a nickel corner can pretty much be considered a starting corner because they see the field the vast majority of the game. I think Casey can be as good as he wants to be and that excites me. You don't just fluke your way to 6 picks as he did his rookie campaign (I am not implying in any way that you meant that...). For grins and giggles I pulled up Charles Woodson's numbers from his first 3 seasons and while playing 13 more games than Casey, Chuck had 10 picks compared to Casey's 9. I am not in any way saying he is going to be a HOF type guy but results are what this bidness is all about and when 29 is on the field he makes plays. Who knows, maybe I am trying to talk myself into feeling better about our current situation at corner but in all reality I do have high expectations for this youngster and think he could end up being pretty darn special...hope I'm right and I know you do too! Like I said maybe he is best suited to play inside but I sure hope the coaching staff gives this talented young man an extended look at the outside position and exhaust every chance possible before labeling him as strictly a slot corner. Put your work in 29 and let's turn some heads next season! G P G!!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are a elite TE and elite ILB away from being a very dominant team.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think we look into signing a FA TE at all. We have Aaron Rodgers, he can get the ball to anyone. Our TE are young and have done their job all season. Richard Rodgers came in huge for us this year.

Richard Rodgers was actually a nice surprise this season but I don´t think he´ll ever turn into the receiving threat the Packers are lacking at the position especially when being in the red zone.

He had a touchdown against New England and Dallas when we needed it most. Hes a rookie that did not see the field until the 4th game, and increasingly saw it more and more each week.

He played in every single game, actually starting the first three games of the season before his missed block allowed a safety vs. the Lions.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd prefer House over Tramon only if House costs about 1/3 as much. If the choice is House at $3m per year for 3 years or Williams at $4.5m for two years (totally making those up as an example) I'd go Williams. Williams has shown he is still a good starting cornerback in the NFL. House has not shown the consistency that I would imagine coaches want in a starting corner.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As long as we don't lose Cobb or Bulaga. If either or, God forbid, both of them leave then we are a ILB, TE, #2 WR and a RT away.

I used to think Cobb was a sure bet to be re-signed, now i'm not so sure. I like him, i want him back, but if it's 9 mil+, i'm not sure he is. I'm not sure he'll be back here for more than 7 per actually. If it's one thing they've shown they consistently find, it's WR's. If we can keep AR with time and off the ground, he'll make people look good. So if it comes to Bulaga or Cobb, I think they go with Bulaga, though I'd love to see them both back and think they are the priorities obviously.

I think Peppers is back for the deal he signed and I'm perfectly fine with it. I think it's a no brainer that Neal is back. I think you're right about Quarless being 50/50 to make the team next year. he has experience, but at this point i think he's falling off, not getting better. Not a good sign for a guy hitting the best years in a career.

They have consistently shown they can find WRs with promise. Cobb was the last WR drafted that amounted to anything. All we have had in our receiving corps since was proven players leaving to be replaced by promise. I like Adams but even if he can step into the #2 role next year I don't see him as being as productive or as versatile as Cobb and that leaves a hole at #3. Yeah we may be able to replace him with Janis or Abby or another rookie WR but if we lose Cobb (assuming we don't replace him with someone close in FA) Our WRs (and TEs) have gone from one of the best groups in the league to average at best. I'd be fine with signing Cobb for 9 million if that is what it takes. You can't rely on Aaron Rodgers to make every WR we get into a stud.

After this season Peppers has a dead cap hit of 2.5 million, he has a dead cap hit of 5 million this year. My proposal to him would be to convert 5 million of his salary this year to a SB. If we do that the way things work as I understand it it would take 2.5 million away from the cap hit this year and push it to next year. That would give him a dead cap hit of 5 million next year but since its at 5 million this year it wouldn't cost us any more in the long run.

of course when you start doing things like that you have to be able to look ahead and see what our cap situation is like for 2016 as well. We may have more room this year than next or we may have more important contracts to deal with next year. I'm pretty sure Lacy will be set to break the bank after this year so we will have to figure out how to work him in.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
They have consistently shown they can find WRs with promise. Cobb was the last WR drafted that amounted to anything. All we have had in our receiving corps since was proven players leaving to be replaced by promise. I like Adams but even if he can step into the #2 role next year I don't see him as being as productive or as versatile as Cobb and that leaves a hole at #3. Yeah we may be able to replace him with Janis or Abby or another rookie WR but if we lose Cobb (assuming we don't replace him with someone close in FA) Our WRs (and TEs) have gone from one of the best groups in the league to average at best. I'd be fine with signing Cobb for 9 million if that is what it takes. You can't rely on Aaron Rodgers to make every WR we get into a stud.
I agree it’s very important to keep Cobb and I agree we can’t rely on Rodgers making WRs into studs. The problem I have with this paragraph is the part I bolded. Since Thompson drafted Cobb in the second round of the 2011 draft, he hadn’t spent a pick in the first six rounds of the draft until the second rounder on Adams last draft. (None were drafted in 2012 and two were selected in the seventh round of 2013.)

Thompson has done incredibly well when picking a WR in the first three rounds. In addition to Cobb (2nd), he’s picked Nelson (2nd), Jones (3rd), Jennings (2nd), and Terrence Murphy (3rd). The only “miss” in the group is Murphy and that’s only because of injury IMO: I think he was destined to be a very good WR. If Adams turns out into the WR I expect, that’ll be 6 good/very good WRs Thompson has found in the second and third rounds of 10 drafts. My point is there is reason for optimism when Thompson picks a WR in the first 3 rounds. Even so, they should keep Cobb (if he’ll accept slightly less than Jordy) because keeping core players they’ve drafted and developed is a core tenant of Thompson’s team building MO. (Same with Bulaga.)

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with this statement. Imagine a 6'5" matchup nightmare roaming the middle of the field and running fade routes in the endzone. Now pair above with Nelson, Cobb, Adams and 27 and you have one heckuva problem on your hands if you are an opposing defensive unit. I know 88 was very polarizing but the bottom line is the kid was a tough matchup and made many more plays than he dropped. I can't see us whiffing in the redzone as often as we did this last year if we can find a Finley-type athletic TE to command attention from LB's and Safeties.

The ILB one is a bit more tricky but yes it would be awesome to have a rock in the middle of the D reeking havoc on both sides of the line. In truth I am actually pretty optimistic about that position heading into next year. I think Sam B will make a big leap in both confidence and production this next year. He was pretty must thrown into the fire and all things considered he did a darn good job. He needs work on coverage (let's get real, most LB's do) and needs to be a bit more gap sound but the kid brings the wood and plays with an edge and that is something our defensive unit has needed for some time now. From what I am reading Clay may stay inside at least some of the time and I happen to like that if it turns out to be the case. The draft and FA will dictate 52's future but if we can get more consistent production (and health) out of Perry and Datone rush wise I think ILB is a spot where Claymaker can make a big impact. I know there is many-a-fan that dislikes CM but I am not one of those fans. The run D improved significantly when the switch was made and Clay is athletic enough to cover TE's. I really hope they decide one way or the other so he can prepare both physically and mentally for a specific position and not be in limbo as to where he will be lining up.

D

Deleted member 6794

The ILB one is a bit more tricky but yes it would be awesome to have a rock in the middle of the D reeking havoc on both sides of the line. In truth I am actually pretty optimistic about that position heading into next year. I think Sam B will make a big leap in both confidence and production this next year. He was pretty must thrown into the fire and all things considered he did a darn good job. He needs work on coverage (let's get real, most LB's do) and needs to be a bit more gap sound but the kid brings the wood and plays with an edge and that is something our defensive unit has needed for some time now. From what I am reading Clay may stay inside at least some of the time and I happen to like that if it turns out to be the case. The draft and FA will dictate 52's future but if we can get more consistent production (and health) out of Perry and Datone rush wise I think ILB is a spot where Claymaker can make a big impact. I know there is many-a-fan that dislikes CM but I am not one of those fans. The run D improved significantly when the switch was made and Clay is athletic enough to cover TE's. I really hope they decide one way or the other so he can prepare both physically and mentally for a specific position and not be in limbo as to where he will be lining up.

I think you're being way too optimistic about the position. Thompson has to address ILB either through the draft or free agency and I would be disappointed if the Packers don't bring in at least two potential starters.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree it’s very important to keep Cobb and I agree we can’t rely on Rodgers making WRs into studs. The problem I have with this paragraph is the part I bolded. Since Thompson drafted Cobb in the second round of the 2011 draft, he hadn’t spent a pick in the first six rounds of the draft until the second rounder on Adams last draft. (None were drafted in 2012 and two were selected in the seventh round of 2013.)

Thompson has done incredibly well when picking a WR in the first three rounds. In addition to Cobb (2nd), he’s picked Nelson (2nd), Jones (3rd), Jennings (2nd), and Terrence Murphy (3rd). The only “miss” in the group is Murphy and that’s only because of injury IMO: I think he was destined to be a very good WR. If Adams turns out into the WR I expect, that’ll be 6 good/very good WRs Thompson has found in the second and third rounds of 10 drafts. My point is there is reason for optimism when Thompson picks a WR in the first 3 rounds. Even so, they should keep Cobb (if he’ll accept slightly less than Jordy) because keeping core players they’ve drafted and developed is a core tenant of Thompson’s team building MO. (Same with Bulaga.)

Good points, with all stud receivers some fans seem to be talking about every year I guess it just seems like we get 2 or 3 a year and none really pan out. I agree with your assessment on his hits in the first three rounds though. My problem lies with those people who think no matter who Ted selects he will turn to gold and for that reason we can let Cobb walk and just plug the next guy in and we will be fine. The bottom line to me is we have two proven pass catchers on this team and if Cobb leaves we will have one. To me that is not a situation we really want to be in with the best QB in the league. Some people feel Rodgers can make any WR a star but how much better can we be if we start out with talent at that position in the first place.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't really paid a whole lot of attention to Jesse James over at Penn State. He looks like kind of a body catcher and like he couldn't jump over a shoebox... but he's 6' 7" ! That could be fun.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being a Penn State fan, he's an interesting prospect. Has 4.6 speed and what's been called 'freakish' athleticism .
A little raw, but well worth a look.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still mad Colt Lyerla couldn't get his head on straight, tbh :confused: Not that I was holding out hope...

Reaction score
First and foremost we need Bulaga. Our priorities must be aligned with both ends of the spectrum, our greatest success and our greatest weakness. #1: Protect Aaron. We've watched what happened to past receivers who bailed out, even the smartest guys in here underrate him, after what he has brought it shocks me actually. Wasn't pretty watching what happened to James Jones.. If his poor production wasn't proof maybe his 666 yards were a divine message.. Or what about that WR we had that averaged 1000+ yards and 9 TDs per year over 5 consecutive years? What was his name again? Oh yeah. Jennings or something? Aaron is the best QB this league has seen since Joe Montana. Limping for 38 Tds and 5 INTs. And NFL MVP. Unbelievable.
This year all came down to Aaron's physical health (or lack thereof) down the stretch, not Bostick or MM or even Slocum (although a last place finish on ST didn't help our cross country team score ).. That's why we aren't celebrating another SB and no amount of talent at TE will matter if he is out of the equation. We were #1 in Offense. There are needs to maintain but this is not our priority. Bulaga is essential and after that I'd like to sign more depth on our O line. We were fortunate on the injury front this year, so much so, most have already forgotten the recent past.
#2. Rushing Defense : the nucleus. We need a NT and ILB and another DT. Personally,I'd like to see at least 1-2 of those filled through FA with a solid proven product. Not left to chance this time. Then go after 1-2 more early draft. Mid rounds we can address O line depth. TE, CB, etc,, but Defense DeFEnSe DEFENSE

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still mad Colt Lyerla couldn't get his head on straight, tbh :confused: Not that I was holding out hope...
The thing is his head wasn't what cost him his job here in the first place. He never really separated himself out on the field while he was here and was no sure bet to make the roster when he tore his pcl and mcl in his knee at family night, likely ending his career right then and there. Then of course, came the arrest of suspicion of DUI, thereby sealing the deal.

Reaction score
The thing is his head wasn't what cost him his job here in the first place. He never really separated himself out on the field while he was here and was no sure bet to make the roster when he tore his pcl and mcl in his knee at family night, likely ending his career right then and there. Then of course, came the arrest of suspicion of DUI, thereby sealing the deal.
Colt had impressive physical upside but light on experience and void of Prudence

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, he is a total basketcase, but he's so mind-bogglingly athletic :speechless: 62" plyo box jump hnnnnggggggg

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're being way too optimistic about the position. Thompson has to address ILB either through the draft or free agency and I would be disappointed if the Packers don't bring in at least two potential starters.
I would be more than fine with one starter being brought in. I have very high hopes for Barrington and don't think that's a pipe dream. He had some issues in college which dropped his stock but most scouts had a 2nd grade round on him. The kid had more than enough talent to be a good one and as I said I don't think that's too far fetched. I would love another guy for sure though allowing CM3 to do what he does best which is harass the QB. Get a quality starter to pair with Sammy B and I would be thrilled. Depth is obviously a concern so in no way am I against bringing 2 quality guys in. I suppose the argument comes down to your belief in Sam and with his lack of a track record I could understand your concern. He hits hard, has good speed and seems like a hungry guy. So long as he takes his craft seriously this off-season I expect him to come in ready to roll next spring. As always time will tell my friend.

G P G!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Captain Wimm; look to bring in 2 starter caliber players. Not comfortable with just handing a starting job to Barrington.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would be more than fine with one starter being brought in. I have very high hopes for Barrington and don't think that's a pipe dream. He had some issues in college which dropped his stock but most scouts had a 2nd grade round on him. The kid had more than enough talent to be a good one and as I said I don't think that's too far fetched. I would love another guy for sure though allowing CM3 to do what he does best which is harass the QB. Get a quality starter to pair with Sammy B and I would be thrilled. Depth is obviously a concern so in no way am I against bringing 2 quality guys in. I suppose the argument comes down to your belief in Sam and with his lack of a track record I could understand your concern. He hits hard, has good speed and seems like a hungry guy. So long as he takes his craft seriously this off-season I expect him to come in ready to roll next spring. As always time will tell my friend.

G P G!

It's possible Barrington develops into a reliable starter but I wouldn't rely on it. That's why I want Thompson to bring in two potential starters.

BTW I would be interested in where you've got it from that Barrington was once considered a second round pick, can't remember hearing anything about it.

H

HardRightEdge

Barrington will be fine with somebody decent playing next to him. Depth is needed, however. Right now, there's nobody on the roster other than Barrington or Matthews I'd want to see on the field again.

Members online

Latest posts