2015 Salary Cap

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL has said the 2015 cap will be between $139M and $142M, and it is usually on the high end of that. So we'll assume that we have $142M to work with plus our $8M carryover from 2014. So as a rough estimate, for the purposes of guessing how much we'll get to charge to our cap in 2015, $150M is looking like a pretty nice round accurate number.

With our dead money and 2015 contracts in place, we'll be looking at about $124M in charges, leaving $26M of cap space. Keep in mind that they can, and probably will, save another $7.25M from cutting AJ Hawk and Brad Jones. My understanding is that they can add $1.3M to this savings if they choose to designate them as post June 1st cuts and defer half of the cap hits to 2016. So assuming they do this, that would be roughly $35M in available cap space.

Pure guess on my part, but if they want to find a way to reduce Peppers' cap number for 2015 by a couple million (perhaps converting some of the base to bonus), they should be able to do so without reducing his salary.

There's not much other significant savings to be had internally. They can cut Quarless if they choose and save a bit over $1.5M, and cutting Neal would net $3M in savings. I would guess it's 50/50 that Quarless makes the team next year depending on what they do at TE in the offseason, with Neal pretty likely to stick around at his current salary.

So I think you've got to assume Hawk and Jones are gone and that you've got $35M to work with for Cobb, Bulaga, House, Williams, Guion, Raji, etc. Cobb and Bulaga will be the biggest investments, and it'll be interesting to see what they do at corner. I would guess they'll want to leave themselves a bit of breathing room as usual so it's unlikely they approach the whole $150M, but I think hopefully the goal should be to keep Bulaga, Cobb, and one of Williams or House, while also adding a key piece via trade or free agency at ILB or TE. I think that's a realistic goal.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at one point I thought either Hawk or Jones would be back, but at this point, they're both as good as gone. Hawk because he just can't keep up out there anymore and Jones because, well he just seems to have a knack for being the guy closest to a screw up. I could see them keeping Jones for less money, but not at his current pay.

I used to think Cobb was a sure bet to be re-signed, now i'm not so sure. I like him, i want him back, but if it's 9 mil+, i'm not sure he is. I'm not sure he'll be back here for more than 7 per actually. If it's one thing they've shown they consistently find, it's WR's. If we can keep AR with time and off the ground, he'll make people look good. So if it comes to Bulaga or Cobb, I think they go with Bulaga, though I'd love to see them both back and think they are the priorities obviously.

I think Peppers is back for the deal he signed and I'm perfectly fine with it. I think it's a no brainer that Neal is back. I think you're right about Quarless being 50/50 to make the team next year. he has experience, but at this point i think he's falling off, not getting better. Not a good sign for a guy hitting the best years in a career.

I'm really torn on the whole House/Williams decision. House is young, has talent, can play, but I will never feel good about him being THE guy and lining up every week as a starter. I just don't see it. Williams is not Revis, but he's not Jarret Bush either. He's a very good starting corner for almost any team in the league and he's been available almost every single game for GB. But he's getting to that point when things break down, so how long does he have? Tough decision. I'd be happy with a 2-3 year deal for a decent amount of money for Williams actually, but maybe he wants more or longer?

D

Deleted member 6794

The NFL has said the 2015 cap will be between $139M and $142M, and it is usually on the high end of that. So we'll assume that we have $142M to work with plus our $8M carryover from 2014. So as a rough estimate, for the purposes of guessing how much we'll get to charge to our cap in 2015, $150M is looking like a pretty nice round accurate number.

With our dead money and 2015 contracts in place, we'll be looking at about $124M in charges, leaving $26M of cap space. Keep in mind that they can, and probably will, save another $7.25M from cutting AJ Hawk and Brad Jones. My understanding is that they can add $1.3M to this savings if they choose to designate them as post June 1st cuts and defer half of the cap hits to 2016. So assuming they do this, that would be roughly $35M in available cap space.

Pure guess on my part, but if they want to find a way to reduce Peppers' cap number for 2015 by a couple million (perhaps converting some of the base to bonus), they should be able to do so without reducing his salary.

There's not much other significant savings to be had internally. They can cut Quarless if they choose and save a bit over $1.5M, and cutting Neal would net $3M in savings. I would guess it's 50/50 that Quarless makes the team next year depending on what they do at TE in the offseason, with Neal pretty likely to stick around at his current salary.

So I think you've got to assume Hawk and Jones are gone and that you've got $35M to work with for Cobb, Bulaga, House, Williams, Guion, Raji, etc. Cobb and Bulaga will be the biggest investments, and it'll be interesting to see what they do at corner. I would guess they'll want to leave themselves a bit of breathing room as usual so it's unlikely they approach the whole $150M, but I think hopefully the goal should be to keep Bulaga, Cobb, and one of Williams or House, while also adding a key piece via trade or free agency at ILB or TE. I think that's a realistic goal.

I agree with nearly all you've said but because Hawk and Jones are both in the last year of their contracts it doesn't make a difference if the Packers cut them before or after June 1.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think Quarless has a much better than 50/50 chance to make the make the team, even if they draft a TE relatively early. There are currently four TEs on the roster: Quarless, Rodgers, Bostick, and Perillo. Bostick was supposed to be a poor man’s Finley but if he does his assignment from scrimmage as well as he did on the “hands” team, he’ll be gone. Perillo was a UDFA out of Maine and a complete unknown. Quarless will turn 27 years old in October and knows the system well. According to OTC, his cap hit for 2015 is $1.75M. At the very least he’s cheap insurance.

As for Cobb, IMO the degree to which Rodgers makes receivers look better than they are is sometimes overstated a bit. If he is re-signed, their top 3 WRs are set and the first few rounds of the draft are freed up for ILB, TE, CB, and DL. I expect Cobb to stay put unless he wants more money than Nelson.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Quarless has a much better than 50/50 chance to make the make the team, even if they draft a TE relatively early. There are currently four TEs on the roster: Quarless, Rodgers, Bostick, and Perillo. Bostick was supposed to be a poor man’s Finley but if he does his assignment from scrimmage as well as he did on the “hands” team, he’ll be gone. Perillo was a UDFA out of Maine and a complete unknown. Quarless will turn 27 years old in October and knows the system well. According to OTC, his cap hit for 2015 is $1.75M. At the very least he’s cheap insurance.

As for Cobb, IMO the degree to which Rodgers makes receivers look better than they are is sometimes overstated a bit. If he is re-signed, their top 3 WRs are set and the first few rounds of the draft are freed up for ILB, TE, CB, and DL. I expect Cobb to stay put unless he wants more money than Nelson.

I could see this absolutely being the case though which is what worries me. You would assume Dez and DT are staying put which would make Cobb & Maclin the top available WR's on the market. Cobb's ability + age and Maclin's injury history makes me think he's more appealing than Maclin and the best available if we're assuming Dez and DT resign/are franchised.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with nearly all you've said but because Hawk and Jones are both in the last year of their contracts it doesn't make a difference if the Packers cut them before or after June 1.

You're right, my mistake. If they had multiple years left on their contract, the Packers could spread the dead money hit of the remaining bonus out over 2015 and 2016 by designating the cuts as post June 1st. But since both contracts expire after 2015 it doesn't apply.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers strikes me as a reasonable guy. It really depends on what his goal is at this stage of his career. If it's to cash that big paycheck then it is what it is. If he really craves that ring, then the Packers could talk him into a restructured deal. They needed to entice him with the big FA contract to get him here, but I think he's now a believer in this team. A restructured deal could be possible, freeing up money for other players to make another run at the Lombardi trophy.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your basic assumptions appear to be correct, but you went off the rails with Quarless. The Packers need 'multiples' at tight end to make McCarthy's offense work. When Finley was playing, they still had 2-4 other tight ends on the roster. There's no reason to cut Quarless when he finally looks like he can play, and ditto with Neal. In the end, the salary cap means performance on the field. Who will perform at a championship level given the money? Always remember the other 31 teams are looking for the exact same things as the Packers.
The reality is Cobb or Bulaga will be gone as the market will inflate their values higher than the Packers will pay. If neither are signed by March 1, they are both gone. The choice between House and Williams will be interesting. Both will command top dollar on the open market, even if Williams is 32. TT always goes young, so my take is he might let BOTH of them go, Williams because of age and House because of health concerns, start Shields and Hayward and look for cornerback help in the draft.
The most intriguing place will be in the middle of the defense. I'm not convinced they won't move Matthews to the middle and look for another edge pass rusher. Probably not, but it is something to consider.
I'm one of the few who thinks there will be SIGNIFICANT changes among the starting 22 next season.

D

Deleted member 6794

The reality is Cobb or Bulaga will be gone as the market will inflate their values higher than the Packers will pay. If neither are signed by March 1, they are both gone. The choice between House and Williams will be interesting. Both will command top dollar on the open market, even if Williams is 32. TT always goes young, so my take is he might let BOTH of them go, Williams because of age and House because of health concerns, start Shields and Hayward and look for cornerback help in the draft.
The most intriguing place will be in the middle of the defense. I'm not convinced they won't move Matthews to the middle and look for another edge pass rusher. Probably not, but it is something to consider.
I'm one of the few who thinks there will be SIGNIFICANT changes among the starting 22 next season.

I agree with your take on Quarless and Neal but not with the rest of your post. Remember that Shields was allowed to test the market last season before he re-signed with the Packers so it´s possible Thompson will let Cobb and/or Bulaga do the same as well.

Williams and House may command top dollar but for sure won´t get it. I expect them to sign for starter money though. Matthews already said that the Packers told him they plan on playing him inside next season as well.

I expect all 11 starters on offense to be the same and don´t think there´ll be a lot of turnover on defense either. It´ll hopefully be at NT and at least one ILB spot with CB being a possibility as well.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree with your take on Quarless and Neal but not with the rest of your post. Remember that Shields was allowed to test the market last season before he re-signed with the Packers so it´s possible Thompson will let Cobb and/or Bulaga do the same as well.

Williams and House may command top dollar but for sure won´t get it. I expect them to sign for starter money though. Matthews already said that the Packers told him they plan on playing him inside next season as well.

I expect all 11 starters on offense to be the same and don´t think there´ll be a lot of turnover on defense either. It´ll hopefully be at NT and at least one ILB spot with CB being a possibility as well.
Actually, the Shields signing was announced March 8, one day after teams could begin FA negotiations. I suspect that deal was done at the 11th. hour before the start of the FA period, assuming it takes a couple of days between having an agreement in place and getting the contract signed and a press release out the door.

If Cobb or Bulaga are allowed to test the market I'd not expect them to be back.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see the TE position addressed in free agency instead of the draft. 2 guys I would like to go after are Jordan Cameron, who said to day he has no interest in resigning with Cleveland, and Virgil Green. Either or could solve our goal line problems and give us a big athletic TE that we've been missing since Finley got hurt.

H

HardRightEdge

The June 1 designation has other issues for any other cut candidate.

The player's full signing bonus hangover remains on the books until June 1 with that designation, whereas the team must be under the 2015 (top 51) salary cap on March 10 which is also the date free agent signings can begin.

So it provides no help in gaining cap space in signing free agents, the team's own or otherwise, during the first 3 months of free agency.

It's hard to see many situations where this is useful.

If a team is capped out and they don't anticipate having enough space for their top draft picks, they might consider using the designation and then wait until after June 1 when the designation cap space frees up to sign their top draft choices. Other than that, it doesn't do much good.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would love to see the TE position addressed in free agency instead of the draft. 2 guys I would like to go after are Jordan Cameron, who said to day he has no interest in resigning with Cleveland, and Virgil Green. Either or could solve our goal line problems and give us a big athletic TE that we've been missing since Finley got hurt.

Cameron is a highly talented player but I would be concerned about his injury history. Not sure why you would be interested in bringing in Green as he has 23 receptions and one TD in his four year career.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cameron is a highly talented player but I would be concerned about his injury history. Not sure why you would be interested in bringing in Green as he has 23 receptions and one TD in his four year career.

I agree Green would be a bit of a crap shoot but he'd come in cheap and is a big athletic guy who could help around the goal line.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree Green would be a bit of a crap shoot but he'd come in cheap and is a big athletic guy who could help around the goal line.

There´s no doubt Green is a great athlete but it didn´t transform into success on the field in Denver.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s no doubt Green is a great athlete but it didn´t transform into success on the field in Denver.

Absolutely but it would be a low risk potentially high reward move if they can tap into that athletic ability. If it's an issue of him not being able to pick up an offense though I don't think there's much we, or anyone for that matter, could do. A guy like Cameron although he does have inury concerns is a guy we know can immediately contribute and provide something for this offense we lack since Finley got hurt. The question on him is what is he going to be looking for. Martellus Bennett money?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I don't think we look into signing a FA TE at all. We have Aaron Rodgers, he can get the ball to anyone. Our TE are young and have done their job all season. Richard Rodgers came in huge for us this year.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we look into signing a FA TE at all. We have Aaron Rodgers, he can get the ball to anyone. Our TE are young and have done their job all season. Richard Rodgers came in huge for us this year.

We dont have a guy that can catch a fade on the goal line or stretch the middle of the field like Finley could and we're missing that. I'm not saying we will but it would definitely be an area I'd look into espeially with how thin this draft is supposed to be at TE.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Certainly not the dud that a lot of thought he might be, but 16 games, 5 starts, 20 catches for 225 yards and 2 TDs doesn't quite get him a 'huge' from me. :)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He showed some promise, but our TE's are barely in danger of being called adequate, let alone productive. I do like the potential of Rodgers going forward, but we could use a major upgrade in that position in terms of production and I don't think anyone could legitimately argue otherwise

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am going to be a sunshine pumper for a minute here so bare with me. We all know that for a while now the Pack has been waiting on Bostick to blossom because of his tremendous physical attributes. What if he busted his backside this off-season and showed up to camp balling out and making plays. What a friggin redemption story that would be! I know the likelihood of this happening is small but my gosh how cool would that be if next season he caught 40-50 passes and scored 6-7 TD's! I am smiling at my desk just thinking about how cool that would be.

OK, back to reality. A man can dream and everyone loves a good redemption story, right?!?!

G P G!!

PS: Rodgers really showed me something this season and the tough, physical catches he made in the big games gave me reason to believe he could end up being a pretty darn good player justifying his draft position. I would still love and think we could really use a Finley type but we all know you have to have "chain-movers" you can trust in tight spots and he looks like a guy that can fill that role for years to come. I was scratching my head when his name was called but thus far he has been a pleasant surprise to this Pack fan.

RepStar15

Reaction score
Certainly not the dud that a lot of thought he might be, but 16 games, 5 starts, 20 catches for 225 yards and 2 TDs doesn't quite get him a 'huge' from me. :)
He had a touchdown against New England and Dallas when we needed it most. Hes a rookie that did not see the field until the 4th game, and increasingly saw it more and more each week. Give him time to come around. Our offense is STACKED (assuming we re-sign Cobb). Our defense has improved significantly from last year, but still has a bit to go.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certainly willing to credit Rodgers for what he did and give him time to develop (if he doesn't, maybe Bostick, huh, SoonerPack? :)). Again, just had concerns with the 'huge' label.

RepStar15

Reaction score
I should have re-framed from using "huge." I just see a lot of potential in the kid, and I think AR does too.

Members online

Latest posts