Your ideal WR target

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No he’s not the only reason.
But I feel that any player who commands his kind of $$$ shouldn’t present so much risk. This is the year of Wideouts. If given a choice, I’d rather invest a couple of draft picks this year at WR towards younger players who will be around at least 4-5 years and keep my tens of millions.
Let someone else take the big risks on guys like him, he’s smelling more and more like a Martellus.
Oh make no mistake, I AGREE, we shouldn't go after him because he's too expensive, and I'd rather the focus go on the defensive side, and I think there are better deals out there, plus we have the draft as you brought up. I was merely pointing out how I think OBJ gets a bad rap is all. If we did get him I think he wouldn't cause any problems for us due to our locker room presence, and our culture. Plus if I'm not mistaken he and Adams are good friends. I think IF we got him he would be productive on the field. But again I don't think we should go after him simply because it's too pricey.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am leaning more and more towards bringing back Cobb on a one year deal with incentives. Rodgers has trust issues with new receivers it seems. The upside would be the possibility he could come back like he never missed a beat and put up some important stats like James Jones did when he came back for us when we were in need. I don't know that he would be interested in another one year deal. His stats were respectable in Dallas, so he is going to be commanding more than the $5 million he got with them. I don't know if Rodgers would get back in sync with him as quickly as he did James Jones considering the new system either. Perriman could be another option as well. I think whoever we get should be a day one projected starter on a one year deal. We just need a stop gap until we can get a more long term fit.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't take a tackle because he's the best tackle left at 30, but if there's one I think is a legitimate 1st round tackle I'd take him.

What the Packers do with Bulaga will have a big impact on this. If they resign him, they no longer need to use too high of a pick on an O-Lineman. Maybe try to find a development one late. If they let Bulaga walk and don't find a RT in Free Agency, I know where they will spend one of their first 3 picks.

Really, now that we know Gute is capable of swinging a big bat in Free Agency, what he does there will shape a lot of the first 3 picks. Nevermind that he signed the Smith Brothers last year and then drafted Gary with his first pick. :rolleyes::p

H

HardRightEdge

Signing Sammy Watkins is an interesting comp, given that the move has been an epic bust for the Chiefs.
There have been two Sammy Watkins.

There was the Watkins who got off to a very good start in his first two seasons given the unimpressive passing games of those Buffalo teams led by guys named Orton, Manual and Taylor. Even with elite QBs it's pretty rare to see a guy with a combination of 17.5 yards per catch and a 62.5% catch rate on as many as 96 targets as he put up in his 2015 year 2. He looked like he was on his way toward elite status to whatever degree the Bills could put together a passing game.

Then a left foot fracture required surgery. Then a teammate stepped on it in, broke it again, and the second repair involved insertion of screws and a 8 game trip to IR in 2016. He was never the same after that.

The takeaways are this:
  • We never know how a surgical repair will affect future performance. If there is a fall off in performance it is impossible to know if that's physical or mental.
  • It's easy to recall the guys who bounce back from surgery as good as ever. It's harder to remember the guys who fall off or out of the league in fairly short order.
  • Foot surgery is problematic, especially for RBs and WRs, multiple surgeries more so.
The Rams threw caution to the wind in signing Watkins in win now mode. KC repeated that lack of caution. Both got to the Super Bowl. Both had their QBs on cheap rookie deals, so they could get away with that mistake. The Packers do not have that luxury, whether we're talking about Watkins or anybody else.

Declining players: no
Aging players: no, unless they are cheap and are not expected to play a pivotal role
Players with a surgery history: no, unless they showed bounce back to form in 2019

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would definitely prefer Diggs of the three, but there is no way that the Vikings would ever send him to us.

Thanks to the Vikings taking the upfront hit, Diggs would definitely be a deal in regards to salary ($11.5M in 2020 and $12M in 2021, 22 and 23) but I can see 3 things preventing him from ending up in Green Bay.

#1: As you said, Vikings will not trade him to us.
#2: Vikings will not trade him to us.
#3: Vikings will not trade him to us.

If the Packers did want to try and persuade the Vikings to trade him, the ask would be whatever the best offer is from another team + another pick.

Also, his attitude is a red flag to me. Maybe that has been blown out of proportion, but sounds like it is a reason why the Vikings are willing to take the dead cap hit and get rid of him, besides needing the cap space as well.

TDF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amari Cooper would be a really good choice! Remember how he ate Alexander’s lunch and took his lunch money when GB played Dallas?
I’m thinking Dallas will be short on money after signing Dak. Hopefully Adams did some recruiting at the Pro Bowl while he was there. Reggie White used to recruit every year.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amari Cooper would be a really good choice! Remember how he ate Alexander’s lunch and took his lunch money when GB played Dallas?
I’m thinking Dallas will be short on money after signing Dak. Hopefully Adams did some recruiting at the Pro Bowl while he was there. Reggie White used to recruit every year.
With the money he'll be demanding? Hard pass. Plus the there have been instances where he's disappeared, and if I'm not mistaken he's injury prone. If he weren't going to be expensive then I'd consider it. He'd be a great piece but I think he's way out of our budget.

D

Deleted member 6794

Stefon Diggs is rumored to be on the trade market along with Odell Beckham Jr. And AJ Green is a free agent. Who would you guys rather have? Diggs and Beckham are under contract thru 2023 and cost about 11m and 14 m against the cap per year respectively. Diggs is 26 and Beckham is 27. Green would be cheaper than either, he is 31.

Diggs is the only one I would be interested in but there's close to no chance the Vikings trade him to Green Bay.

We have a bunch of young talent at WR. So I'd go for a veteran there via FA.
ILB in R1 would be my choice.

Unfortunately it seems the Packers don't have a lot of quality young talent at wide receiver.

I'm not saying Gary wasn't going to make and impact some day, just that he didn't right away. Thats fine since that position was stacked, we didn't really miss him. In a couple years with the Smiths start to decline or get too expensive, he will be ready to step in.

I am just of the opinion that we really need 3 or 4 upgrades this off season. If we re-sign Bulaga, we may not get to upgrade any other positions in FA. If not, then its gonna be mandatory we draft his replacement as one of those 3 or 4. If we don't resign him and drop Graham and Taylor as predicted, then we might be able to land a top FA TE to go along with Sternberger or perhaps Cooper at WR.. Could possibly afford someone like Shoebert at LB as well but that's about it.

Got to admit signing Cooper to go with Adams would launch this offense into orbit. Question is, how do you protect AR at RT and extend Clark at the same time?

The Packers could have used an impact player drafted at #12 at a different position than outside linebacker though. Cooper would most likely be a very good #2 receiver but unfortunately he will demand to be paid like a top player at the position. Therefore Gutekunst should pass on him. The team re-signing Bulaga most likely won't prevent them from being active in free agency.

It was his and a lot of other's first time going into the playoffs and they wanted to celebrate and have fun. Is it a little immature, I suppose, but it happens.

I definitely wouldn't want any of the players to make a trip to Miami during the week before a playoff game.

Really? He's been playing for teams such as The Browns and The Giants, of course he's going to be seen as the scapegoat. And let's be honest some of those "distractions" weren't even a big deal. Put him on a contender team with a strong locker room like ours, and THEN let's see if he's a "distraction" bet you he wouldn't.

This dude gets such a bad shake. He's not the reason why those teams are bad.

Possibly, but considering the money OBJ is getting paid he should be one of the reason those teams are winning. Obviously that hasn't worked out so far.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately it seems the Packers don't have a lot of quality young talent at wide receiver.

And it's a position where we need someone to make an immediate impact. Putting a draft rookie is too big a risk here. We need a veteran WR there.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like every decision, there is not clear answer. So you sign a vet, there is zero guarantee he doesn't fail in a new place and become just a guy with a big name and a bigger contract like Odell last year or Brown. Or even our Ryan Grant. Vet signed, not a lot, but can't find the field despite having ample opportunity. Others fit in just great and do well, still fairly expensive, but they produce.

and then there are young guys, cheap. They don't put your cap in any danger and you MUST have a good number of guys hitting good production while being cheap or you don't go anywhere and you certainly don't last long as a team. Do they translate to the NFL, can they put it together quickly? Some do, some don't.

So as always, spend money and hope or draft and hope? Right now we need someone reliable in the 50+ catch range that can be big on 3rd downs etc. I don't care where he comes from and i don't think it's impossible to do get that in 1-2 rounds either. Get a FA that you feel can do that reliably, you're probably looking at 4+ million. A rookie is going to be a quarter of that or less. what's the best move?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Anybody know much about Tajae Sharpe?

Route running possession receiver whose most important role will be moving the chains. I would say that he is what most of use hoped Allison could be in 2019. If the price is right for him as a reserve player, I think he could be a good addition. Petals has familiarity with him.

One difficulty with him-- he does not play on special teams. At all. It's hard to deal with that, roster wise, in a reserve WR.

But here is what I like: on 3rd downs in 2019, he was targeted 18 times, for 15 catches, and 13 first downs. So 72% of his 3D targets resulted in first downs. Those chain moving catches were missing for most of the season last year. If he can come in and provide 15+ conversions, he'd be a worthy acquisition.

To compare for reference, Adams was targeted 28 times on 3rd down, for 19 catches and 18 conversions (64%). Lazard, who I think most people were pleased with, received 19 3rd down targets for 13 catches and 12 conversions (63%). Allison was targeted 14 times on 3rd down, for 8 catches, and 6 first downs (42%). Graham also ended up at 42% by way of 19 targets, 11 receptions, and 8 conversions. MVS was targeted 21 times on 3rd down, for 8 catches, and 5 first downs (24%).

D

Deleted member 6794

And it's a position where we need someone to make an immediate impact. Putting a draft rookie is too big a risk here. We need a veteran WR there.

The draft class is considered to be extremely deep at wide receiver this year. There were several rookies at the position who had an immediate impact last season, Gutekunst has just to pick the right one.

Members online

Latest posts