Your ideal WR target

H

HardRightEdge

Cobb. Why? Because we know Rodgers will throw to him.

Now IF it was safe to assume that Rodgers would throw to whomever we signed I would get Cooper. But as you can see, that's a big "if."
Lets see. Cooper will be 26 years old entering his 6th. season. He's been a consistent 1,000 yd. receiver and pretty durable, missing 3 games in 5 seasons. He's the top free agent WR. You're looking at $15+ mil per year. Is that the best use of cap? I don't think so.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a narrative that Rodgers won't throw to guys he doesn't know, but it's not really supportable. The only basis for it is UDFA talent like Jeff Janis. Who cares? Rodgers has thrown to every good wide receiver he's ever had.
He throws to the mediocre ones too when they actually end up being open where he expects them to be.

Reaction score
I like the fact that Cobb and Rodgers had chemistry. I disagree with your statement after about Cooper however. Cooper is just waaay to expensive and given our small margin of error with the limited cap space we have, he is simply not an option.
IMO we need to get at least 2 starter quality FA’s. One will likely replace an important FA starter who we send packing such Graham, Linsley, Martinez, etc.. The other should be an upgrade and compliment that grouping of FA that we hold on to.
This would be a bad time to put our eggs in one basket IMO and we should avoid what I call “the Mack” philosophy right now.
We ideally need 3 FA signings with 2 being improvements and 1 replacement, but like I think we all know, there’s not enough $butter$ between our priority FA signings and more than a couple new guys without spreading it too thin.

We should be looking at players in that 5-10M range, (annual) not so much Cooperish 14mil+
This may be the year to get our WR fix using a combination of one of the first couple draft selections, plus a day 3 selection if needed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't think we'll get him, but if we do I think he'll be better than what most people here believe.
I’ve always like AJ. He’s one of the most production consistent Wideouts around. I just don’t think we can hang with the highest bidder without jeopardizing other positions of need with the quality players necessary to achieve our objectives.

That said, if he can make a solid injury recovery, he’ll mostly regain his statistical composure for a couple years before any noticeable decline. It reminds me a bit of a Jordy+ with his injury.
It would be a dream to have him opposite Adams, functioning at full strength. Then imagine getting another slot receiver towards the top of this draft. Makes you think? It’d be a ballsy move and while it doesn’t make good fiscal sense, it would be intriguing.

Last edited:

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need to sign Usain Bolt. 6'5" of pure speed. Ran a 9.58 100 meters. If nothing else, he would scare the hell out of the oppositions defensive backs.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a narrative that Rodgers won't throw to guys he doesn't know, but it's not really supportable. The only basis for it is UDFA talent like Jeff Janis. Who cares? Rodgers has thrown to every good wide receiver he's ever had.

You really didn't pay too close attention this year, did ya? He passed up on throwing to open "lesser" receivers way too much instead opting to throw at Adams when he wasn't even open or taking a bad sack.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the fact that Cobb and Rodgers had chemistry. I disagree with your statement after about Cooper however. Cooper is just waaay to expensive and given our small margin of error with the limited cap space we have, he is simply not an option. My preferred target would be Robby Anderson in FA but he too is going to get way more than we should be comfortable with paying him. So yes, given the bare FA market Cobb might be the best signing we can make in terms of quality/price
Let me throw monkey in the wrench here. Everyone is assuming that FA WRs will land gaudy contracts, but lets not forget that this draft is supposed to be the deepest WR draft in memory, if not ever. I expect this may have the unanticipated effect of lowering the market value of FA WRs this year in particular. PLUS, the CBA expires after next season, teams may want to wait on such huge contracts until that rodeo has worked itself out.

Yes? No?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You really didn't pay too close attention this year, did ya? He passed up on throwing to open "lesser" receivers way too much instead opting to throw at Adams when he wasn't even open or taking a bad sack.

You implied that Rodgers doesn't throw to guys he doesn't know and for evidence you point out this past season, in which Rodgers was throwing to guys he already knew with the exception of Lazard.

You're right that at times in 2019 Rodgers was missing open receivers. But I attribute this to his lack of comfort in the offense and a lack of faith in the other options-- as opposed to an unwillingness to throw to guys he isn't familiar with. He was willing to try. MVS received as many targets, 21, as Adams did through the first three weeks. But targeting him was largely not paying off. Similarly, his targets of Allison weren't paying dividends.

Good things happened more often when he threw to Adams and Jones, so that's what he did. And when Lazard stepped up, literally the only player on the roster to receiver 10+ targets who Rodgers didn't have any previous history with, Rodgers targeted him. How do you explain that if he supposedly won't throw to guys he isn't familiar with?

In the past, Rodgers has been willing to target players allowing that they are talented and getting open. The narrative that he won't target new options really emerged over Jeff Janis, who was ridiculously overrated by Packer fans. If they add a talented option (or two) via FA or the draft, there's no reason to think that he won't target that player.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You implied that Rodgers doesn't throw to guys he doesn't know and for evidence you point out this past season, in which Rodgers was throwing to guys he already knew with the exception of Lazard.

You're right that at times in 2019 Rodgers was missing open receivers. But I attribute this to his lack of comfort in the offense and a lack of faith in the other options-- as opposed to an unwillingness to throw to guys he isn't familiar with. He was willing to try. MVS received as many targets, 21, as Adams did through the first three weeks. But targeting him was largely not paying off. Similarly, his targets of Allison weren't paying dividends.

Good things happened more often when he threw to Adams and Jones, so that's what he did. And when Lazard stepped up, literally the only player on the roster to receiver 10+ targets who Rodgers didn't have any previous history with, Rodgers targeted him. How do you explain that if he supposedly won't throw to guys he isn't familiar with?

In the past, Rodgers has been willing to target players allowing that they are talented and getting open. The narrative that he won't target new options really emerged over Jeff Janis, who was ridiculously overrated by Packer fans. If they add a talented option (or two) via FA or the draft, there's no reason to think that he won't target that player.
^^^^
This guy was clearly paying attention

D

Deleted member 6794

We ideally need 3 FA signings with 2 being improvements and 1 replacement, but like I think we all know, there’s not enough $butter$ between our priority FA signings and more than a couple new guys without spreading it too thin.

Free agents need to be an improvement over players currently on the roster. Otherwise it would be smarter to hold on to the ones trying to be replaced.

I’ve always like AJ. He’s one of the most production consistent Wideouts around.

That said, if he can make a solid injury recovery, he’ll mostly regain his statistical composure for a couple years before any noticeable decline. It reminds me a bit of a Jordy+ with his injury.

Unfortunately Green hasn't been able to get on the field and him being able to stay healthy for an extended period of time is too big of a question mark for it to make sense pursuing him.

Let me throw monkey in the wrench here. Everyone is assuming that FA WRs will land gaudy contracts, but lets not forget that this draft is supposed to be the deepest WR draft in memory, if not ever. I expect this may have the unanticipated effect of lowering the market value of FA WRs this year in particular. PLUS, the CBA expires after next season, teams may want to wait on such huge contracts until that rodeo has worked itself out.

Yes? No?

I'm still convinced that some teams will offer a ton of money to the few free agent wide receivers capable of putting up decent numbers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free agents need to be an improvement over players currently on the roster. Otherwise it would be smarter to hold on to the ones trying to be replaced.

Unfortunately Green hasn't been able to get on the field and him being able to stay healthy for an extended period of time is too big of a question mark for it to make sense pursuing him.

I'm still convinced that some teams will offer a ton of money to the few free agent wide receivers capable of putting up decent numbers.
I was going to say, the big name WR's always get overpaid in FA, it's one of the the most regular occurrences in the NFL and it happens every single year.

and the thought of going after Green scares me. After years of paying so much for guys that couldn't stay on the field and seeing it's effects, why would we actively seek and older, injured and likely too expensive option?

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ones who might WANT to do that are probably teams higher in the draft and can bank on grabbing a top WR in the draft. HOWEVER, there are teams with a ton of cap space and they could be the ones who chuck unreasonable cash. But if I'm A Cooper, do I want to play for the Bungle's for a lot of money or go to next year's SB with GB for less?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ones who might WANT to do that are probably teams higher in the draft and can bank on grabbing a top WR in the draft. HOWEVER, there are teams with a ton of cap space and they could be the ones who chuck unreasonable cash. But if I'm A Cooper, do I want to play for the Bungle's for a lot of money or go to next year's SB with GB for less?
He might be going to Philly.

Reaction score
Sure, obviously.
But as an example to my point, I wouldn’t necessarily keep Lane Taylor $5Mil as a backup if I knew I could get similar performance for a fraction of his contract through FA. Not even to mention I might get a player with his production, cheaper AND 5 years his Junior.

A big part of this business goes past simply comparing production. You’ve got the fiscal aspect and future outlook on said player to take into consideration

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

There are a ton of teams throwing around ridiculous money in free agency, therefore I don't believe it will be any different this year even with a deep draft class at wide receiver.

By the way most players sign with the team that offers the most money.

Sure, obviously.
But as an example to my point, I wouldn’t necessarily keep Lane Taylor $5Mil as a backup if I knew I could get similar performance for a fraction of his contract through FA. Not even to mention I might get a player with his production, cheaper AND 5 years his Junior.

I agree that it's fine to replace a player with a cheaper option in free agency, albeit those players are difficult to find.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stefon Diggs is rumored to be on the trade market along with Odell Beckham Jr. And AJ Green is a free agent. Who would you guys rather have? Diggs and Beckham are under contract thru 2023 and cost about 11m and 14 m against the cap per year respectively. Diggs is 26 and Beckham is 27. Green would be cheaper than either, he is 31.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not really interested in Green, though he's been a favorite of mine much of his career. I don't think he'll last a season anymore. Diggs has a crappy attitude i think, but he'd be that threat that MVS doesn't seem to grow into yet. Him and Adams with Jones at RB would be pretty sweet, but not sure I want to give anything up and MN would make us give something up significant. So it's just fun to think about.

I think OBJ's attitude is worse and the circus that will follow. They'd have to give me draft picks and players to take that off their hands.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See how the pieces fall in the first round of the draft and if not in Packers favor. Trade away the first to the Rams for Kupp. Last year on his contract and Rams may have too many pieces to pay.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not really interested in Green, though he's been a favorite of mine much of his career. I don't think he'll last a season anymore. Diggs has a crappy attitude i think, but he'd be that threat that MVS doesn't seem to grow into yet. Him and Adams with Jones at RB would be pretty sweet, but not sure I want to give anything up and MN would make us give something up significant. So it's just fun to think about.

I think OBJ's attitude is worse and the circus that will follow. They'd have to give me draft picks and players to take that off their hands.
Which brings us back to the draft. So who ya take in Rd 1, a WR or an ILB? Or RT? Or DL? We can't really afford another developmental player in Rd 1 again this year. We need 2 immediate impact players with our first two picks this year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which brings us back to the draft. So who ya take in Rd 1, a WR or an ILB? Or RT? Or DL? We can't really afford another developmental player in Rd 1 again this year. We need 2 immediate impact players with our first two picks this year.
it depends :)

I don't take a tackle because he's the best tackle left at 30, but if there's one I think is a legitimate 1st round tackle I'd take him. OL or DL really. I think there is going to be value in the first 2 rounds in WR so i'm not in a huge hurry, but it wouldn't surprise me to see one taken in the first at all.

Personally I'd like a FA ILB and Henry at TE, draft 1st or 2nd round WR and the other is used on a big man. I see 2 open spots at ILB, but one is going to have to be a 3rd round or lower type guy I think. I just don't think we'll get 1 of the real ILB 1st round talents at our pick. They go top 12 almost always. then you're left with character risks and athletic guys that need to change positions and maybe grow into it.

I know people are disappointed in Gary, I happen to think he showed some good stuff despite having a lot to learn about the pro game and the position and it was a benefit that he wasn't pressed into more action because we had exceptional people in front of him. We did get immediate impact play from the jenkins and Savage. Whatever round they're taken in, if we get 2 draft picks at any position that make that impact their rookie season, we're doing pretty good.

I think Gary was a big picture pick knowing Fackrell was likely gone and we'd be looking pretty bleak at OLB heading into what I believe is the real open window for competing for Super Bowls. Most people thought this was not going to be a 1 year turn around and Gary is there to keep a premium position stocked for the "meat" of their plan to return a Lombardi to Lambeau.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts