Your ideal WR target

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dear Packer friends and family,

What a ride this year has been. Truth be told, I would have NEVER expected us to get to the NFCCG given our predicament at the start of the season, so this excites me tremendously for next season (Credit to some of the fans on this board for going on a limb and predicting this kind of success in the preseason). However, given the number of important free agents that we are going to have to give new contracts after the 2020 season, it seems like our best chance at a SB with Arod is next year.

We can see that our team still has a few glaring holes, 2 on each side of the ball. The most obvious are ILB and WR. Given that we bring back Bulaga and hence bring back the stability of last year's oline, we could also use help at TE and DL.

The position that bothers me the most however is WR. We have seen Aaron performing less and less the last years, with talent at the position slowly but steadily degrading. In order to instil confidence not only in his mind, but in all of our minds, we will have to attack the position heavily this coming draft.

I am therefore curious to see which receiver, be it from the draft or FA, would be your ideal complement to our receiving corps (and why). Where the FA market seems bare, the draft is loaded. Up to the point where there are multiple rock solid first round prospects who could even slide a bit due to teams with high picks targeting the scarcer positional groups first, knowing that they can still get WR help in the later rounds.

So my question to you would be: If you could pick ANY FA or rookie WR to be a Packer next year, who would it be and why?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

tempt Megatron out of retirement with the chance of winning a Superbowl. Worth a try.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not knowing for sure what is or will be available in FA I don't feel comfortable answering fully. I will say I believe between our signing of the CFL's most promising and skilled WR, us drafting a WR with one of our first 3 picks and possibly a FA acquisition I think our WR corps is going to be much better next season.

Add in Lazard continued growth, ESB coming back off injury after ending his rookie year looking more capable than ANY young WR on the roster that year....I like the direction...but that is with us actively seeking to solve the issue with the above paragraph.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think if I had to choose one guy out of this class of free agents, considering both price tag and ability, it would probably be Emmanuel Sanders on a one year deal. He is a lot older than ideal, but this class doesn't offer man attractive options, and he was able to prove that he's still playing at a high level in 2019.

I would most certainly pair him with a high draft pick in this rich WR class. Ideally, I want someone capable of making plays after the catch. I haven't seen a lot of these guys, but Shenault (COL), Aiyuk (ASU), and Reagor (TCU) are three that come to mind that have that skill set.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have been in on Sanders this past year, I'm not all that interested in him for next year. Unless of course he goes off for 10 catches and 187 yds and 3 TD's in the Super Bowl, I may change my mind :)

I'd rather we take any money laying around and get one of those 2 maybe available TE's in Henry or Hooper and just roll with WR draft picks or lower level WR FA.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Randy Moss trains everyday he said in an interview a few years ago (Sorry, can`t find the source ). He`d be amazing.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would have been in on Sanders this past year, I'm not all that interested in him for next year. Unless of course he goes off for 10 catches and 187 yds and 3 TD's in the Super Bowl, I may change my mind :)

I'd rather we take any money laying around and get one of those 2 maybe available TE's in Henry or Hooper and just roll with WR draft picks or lower level WR FA.

Agree with this. I'd way sooner spend the money on Henry, or even Hooper, before I spent it on Sanders.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will make this simple. Someone under 6 feet tall, that can play the slot or hit a home run deep with a 4.3 40 or better.

I'm sick of tired of being sick of tired of GB bringing in 6'3"-6-5" tall receivers, throw the potential card on them while ignoring the fact that none of them can catch.

I would love to see John Ross of the Bengals, probably could get him for cheap, just needs a QB.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will make this simple. Someone under 6 feet tall, that can play the slot or hit a home run deep with a 4.3 40 or better.

I'm sick of tired of being sick of tired of GB bringing in 6'3"-6-5" tall receivers, throw the potential card on them while ignoring the fact that none of them can catch.

I would love to see John Ross of the Bengals, probably could get him for cheap, just needs a QB.

This is why Kiper has us picking the Penn State kid...

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How many guys do you think run a 4.3 or better? And how is the track record of those players in the NFL?

When it comes to WR's, speed is somewhat overrated.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many guys do you think run a 4.3 or better? And how is the track record of those players in the NFL?

When it comes to WR's, speed is somewhat overrated.

I just named one with John Ross but you might be missing my point. GB basically has a starting lineup of basketball players at WR, joking of course . My point is we need smaller guys who can get loss in coverage. The size of a Hill, Ross, Brown, Cobb. I have to put this in here, they also must be able to catch.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question should be: how do you order the 2020 WR draft class, and who do you expect will be available to GB at #30?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few things. 1. I don't know where all this love for ESB is coming from. He really didn't do too much that made him stand out from someone like MVS. But in any case.

2. I wouldn't mind if we got a Cobb or Edelman kind of receiver. By that they were former QBs that transitioned to the tight end spot. Those guys are typically highly intelligent and gel well with the QB for the most part.

3. I'm certain we'll get a WR or TE in the second round, but I am hesitant on how much we spend on an additional piece. Yes it would be nice, but at this point in Rodgers' career I think we're better off surrounding him with more pieces on defense in order to continue help take a load off. I certainly wouldn't mind Cobb back for the amount he played for Dallas for one year. We don't need an OBJ (As much as I would like him to be on the team), or an AJ Green (I believe the dude can still play at a high level in spite of his injuries and he will be a candidate for comeback player next year).

We need to be smart about this, I say a solid veteran would help us do wonders. Again I think getting Cobb back for another year is our best bet right now. I can't think of anyone else that fits that mold better than him right now. I'm sure there are but I can't think of any at the moment.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just named one with John Ross but you might be missing my point. GB basically has a starting lineup of basketball players at WR, joking of course . My point is we need smaller guys who can get loss in coverage. The size of a Hill, Ross, Brown, Cobb. I have to put this in here, they also must be able to catch.

The John Ross who just had a career best of 28/500? With a 50% catch rate? There are much better examples (John Brown). Give me a guy who runs a 4.5 that knows how to run routes over the 4.3 who can only go deep. Hell, we already have that with MVS. He's a burner who can go deep.

What we need to do is increase the speed, increase the route running, and get guys who can get YAC. They don't need to run a 4.3, and they don't need to be sub 6'0. They can, and do, exist in all different body types.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The John Ross who just had a career best of 28/500? With a 50% catch rate? There are much better examples (John Brown). Give me a guy who runs a 4.5 that knows how to run routes over the 4.3 who can only go deep. Hell, we already have that with MVS. He's a burner who can go deep.

What we need to do is increase the speed, increase the route running, and get guys who can get YAC. They don't need to run a 4.3, and they don't need to be sub 6'0. They can, and do, exist in all different body types.

You are missing the point. I can show you stats where star WRs play with bad QBs and suffer statistically because of QB accuracy among other things. We will never see it but put Ross with his speed on the Chiefs, I'm betting he's a different receiver. I'm talking in general of who I would like. I'm not trying to replicate some perfect prototype guy.

Ross is just a guy who never had a Mahomes or Rodgers. You say we don't need the 4.3 speed, watch the Chiefs. I'll take 4.3 speed any day of the week with a great QB.

This is just my opinion, not the gospel.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we have a 4.3 receiver with a great QB. Turns out the 4.5 guys have been our best over the past decade

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we have a 4.3 receiver with a great QB. Turns out the 4.5 guys have been our best over the past decade

This is my last post in this thread. I'm not arguing against a 4.5 receiver who can catch. I know about Cobb, Jennings, Driver etc. I'm just giving my opinion of I would like to see Rodgers get a small guy with great speed, that it.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are missing the point. I can show you stats where star WRs play with bad QBs and suffer statistically because of QB accuracy among other things. We will never see it but put Ross with his speed on the Chiefs, I'm betting he's a different receiver. I'm talking in general of who I would like. I'm not trying to replicate some perfect prototype guy.

Ross is just a guy who never had a Mahomes or Rodgers. You say we don't need the 4.3 speed, watch the Chiefs. I'll take 4.3 speed any day of the week with a great QB.

This is just my opinion, not the gospel.

I never said we don't need a 4.3 guy. It's just that, they rarely seem to work. Jordy Nelson was never close to a 4.3, but he had no issue getting open deep. Good WR play has much more to do with how well they run routes, than pure speed. There are countless examples of this. Obviously, if you can get both, that's ideal.

And again, we have a wr with 4.3 speed on the team. You seem to be avoiding that.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Green if they want an elite, co-#1 WR and think they can fix the defense with affordable guys. Otherwise, Robby Anderson on a cheap deal and a 1st/2nd round WR to develop. Though i would prefer Hunter Henry over any of the free agent WRs.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Green if they want an elite, co-#1 WR and think they can fix the defense with affordable guys. Otherwise, Robby Anderson on a cheap deal and a 1st/2nd round WR to develop. Though i would prefer Hunter Henry over any of the free agent WRs.

Couple things....AJ Green cannot play a whole season. I LOVE THE GUY but that has become nearly a guarantee.

Robby Anderson is going to be arguably the biggest winner of the WR Free Agency money train...after Amari Cooper and maybe a guy like Green. Robby outside of Amari has the longest projection due to his age. Anderson on a cheap deal ain't even an option to consider.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Green was done 2 seasons ago. I wouldn't even sign him in camp I wanted him to still be playing at the end of the year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts