Your ideal WR target

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Stefon Diggs is rumored to be on the trade market along with Odell Beckham Jr. And AJ Green is a free agent. Who would you guys rather have? Diggs and Beckham are under contract thru 2023 and cost about 11m and 14 m against the cap per year respectively. Diggs is 26 and Beckham is 27. Green would be cheaper than either, he is 31.

I would definitely prefer Diggs of the three, but there is no way that the Vikings would ever send him to us.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it depends :)

I know people are disappointed in Gary, I happen to think he showed some good stuff despite having a lot to learn about the pro game and the position and it was a benefit that he wasn't pressed into more action because we had exceptional people in front of him. We did get immediate impact play from the jenkins and Savage. Whatever round they're taken in, if we get 2 draft picks at any position that make that impact their rookie season, we're doing pretty good.

I think Gary was a big picture pick knowing Fackrell was likely gone and we'd be looking pretty bleak at OLB heading into what I believe is the real open window for competing for Super Bowls. Most people thought this was not going to be a 1 year turn around and Gary is there to keep a premium position stocked for the "meat" of their plan to return a Lombardi to Lambeau.
I'm not saying Gary wasn't going to make and impact some day, just that he didn't right away. Thats fine since that position was stacked, we didn't really miss him. In a couple years with the Smiths start to decline or get too expensive, he will be ready to step in.

I am just of the opinion that we really need 3 or 4 upgrades this off season. If we re-sign Bulaga, we may not get to upgrade any other positions in FA. If not, then its gonna be mandatory we draft his replacement as one of those 3 or 4. If we don't resign him and drop Graham and Taylor as predicted, then we might be able to land a top FA TE to go along with Sternberger or perhaps Cooper at WR.. Could possibly afford someone like Shoebert at LB as well but that's about it.

Got to admit signing Cooper to go with Adams would launch this offense into orbit. Question is, how do you protect AR at RT and extend Clark at the same time?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think OBJ gets a bad rep. He's not a bad teammate, and can be a little over the top at times, but I feel the media tends to make more of a spectacle in regards to his antics. Dude gives it his all on the field and I do believe he's committed to winning, and a lot of this stuff regarding him would die down if his team was winning. As we know winning cures everything just about.

With that said, because he'd cost so much and I'd rather spend that money on the defense, I'd pass on him. We have a number 1 already. Having said that I wouldn't be mad if he was on the team.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think OBJ gets a bad rep. He's not a bad teammate, and can be a little over the top at times, but I feel the media tends to make more of a spectacle in regards to his antics. Dude gives it his all on the field and I do believe he's committed to winning, and a lot of this stuff regarding him would die down if his team was winning. As we know winning cures everything just about.

With that said, because he'd cost so much and I'd rather spend that money on the defense, I'd pass on him. We have a number 1 already. Having said that I wouldn't be mad if he was on the team.
My belief he was committed to winning was gone even before his Trip to Miami during playoffs where he followed up his trip with a 30 yard performance with a couple of drops at GB then punched some holes in the walls.

I don't think Odell is committed to anything other than Odell.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My belief he was committed to winning was gone even before his Trip to Miami during playoffs where he followed up his trip with a 30 yard performance with a couple of drops at GB then punched some holes in the walls.

I don't think Odell is committed to anything other than Odell.
It was his and a lot of other's first time going into the playoffs and they wanted to celebrate and have fun. Is it a little immature, I suppose, but it happens. There's no guarantee even if he didn't go on the trip that he would've played any better. If anything he'd be likely criticized just as bad. Nevertheless I'll never question a player's heart or their commitment to winning. I think Odell wants to win and he gets frustrated because his team isn't, which makes him question all the work he's put into his craft as a result. In the meantime he distracts himself and keep himself relevant with his brand. (Nothing wrong in promoting yourself.) I think you put him with a winning team, and a winning culture he'd be seen in a more positive light.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Odell to GB would be like Terrell Owens to Dallas. Probably bridges the gap between our talent level and the likes of KC and may be enough for us to make it to the SB with the d we have today. Our offense would be unreal. Obviously we'd have to put up with possible antics. But I'd be fine with that.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Odell to GB would be like Terrell Owens to Dallas. Probably bridges the gap between our talent level and the likes of KC and may be enough for us to make it to the SB with the d we have today. Our offense would be unreal. Obviously we'd have to put up with possible antics. But I'd be fine with that.

This exact stuff was said about the Browns last off-season. I'm not saying that Beckham couldn't be great in Green Bay, but it ain't a foregone conclusion.

Reaction score
I’m liking more and more a homegrown draft pick in the early rounds. That’s not to say we can’t get a veteran insurance policy either in FA or trade etc..
1. The WR draft group is strong
2. The draft WR contract would somewhat align with Rodgers contract
3. The cap savings verses production would be extremely advantageous in our current state.
3. GB really isn’t desperate to find a #1 WR like several teams and this draft in particular is thick with #2 WR type projections with early output IMO.

Even if GB went WR at #62 overall? I’d feel very good about Adams, a #62 selection, a veteran addition, Lazard, EQ, etc..

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This exact stuff was said about the Browns last off-season. I'm not saying that Beckham couldn't be great in Green Bay, but it ain't a foregone conclusion.

Nothing's a forego conclusion in the nfl, but it could be a good calculated risk. A proven wr who would be playing with the best qb in his career. Would be a total win now move. His value would be lower given the year he had, so now's the time to strike if these rumors Gute may trade for him are serious.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus a couple things. Rodgers is a proven QB than a turnover machine than Baker. Some people here talk about Rodgers' issues and whatnot, but he certainly is nowhere near as bad a Mayfield. Plus the locker room and organization is much better here in GB than it is in Cleveland as we have a winning culture and have the leadership in which OBJ will have no choice but to fall in line.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus a couple things. Rodgers is a proven QB than a turnover machine than Baker. Some people here talk about Rodgers' issues and whatnot, but he certainly is nowhere near as bad a Mayfield. Plus the locker room and organization is much better here in GB than it is in Cleveland as we have a winning culture and have the leadership in which OBJ will have no choice but to fall in line.
OBJ will do what OBJ wants no matter what locker room he's in

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Nothing's a forego conclusion in the nfl, but it could be a good calculated risk. A proven wr who would be playing with the best qb in his career. Would be a total win now move. His value would be lower given the year he had, so now's the time to strike if these rumors Gute may trade for him are serious.

You could be right. I'm just pointing out that nearly everyone supposed that he would be a rock star in Cleveland and it totally flopped. And that wasn't 100% on Baker or the offense either.

I personally do not like the player. I don't want to root for him. But that's not a good reason not to trade for someone.

H

HardRightEdge

Lets assume for the moment that Gutekunst/LaFleur decide to roll with Sternberger, Tonyan and a blocking TE, Lewis or a reasonable facsimile. While perhaps not preferable, it is the more likely scenario.

In that case, and assuming a WR is not aquired in free agency, a strong possibility at #30 would be Laviska Shenault.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This is a big, physical player with a lot of versatility. He played wide, slot, H-back and ran out of wildcat. Runs the jet sweep. He's the kind of player that would allow LaFleur to install more of his stuff.

He's quicker than he is fast, has giddyup through 3rd. gear but doesn't show great long speed. He looks like he'll clock around 4.50, good enough to not be slotted as just a possession receiver. I would expect his cone and shuttle to impress more than the 40 time. Built like a running back with a big catch radius. Looks like a guy who can get YAC at the next level with a knack for finding space after the catch when he isn't running over a DB. He the kind of player that gets DBs making business decisions.

He's a good character guy by all accounts.

His medicals are a question mark, playing last year following a torn labrum. He missed some time and his quarterbacking was questionable, thus the decline in productivity from his team MVP year in 2018. There seems to be some debate about the quality of his route running and a limited route tree in college. I don't pick that up in the highlights, but it could be a question mark.

All in all, this is the Deebo Samuel comparable in this draft.

Superficially, Chase Claypool would appear to fall into the same type, the big, physical WR, a guy who slots further down the draft. To my eye he looks more like an undersized slot TE. To my eye he lacks the speed to play outside. I'll reserve judgement until we see how he tests.

Last edited by a moderator:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's been a distraction on both teams he's played for so far.
Really? He's been playing for teams such as The Browns and The Giants, of course he's going to be seen as the scapegoat. And let's be honest some of those "distractions" weren't even a big deal. Put him on a contender team with a strong locker room like ours, and THEN let's see if he's a "distraction" bet you he wouldn't.

This dude gets such a bad shake. He's not the reason why those teams are bad.

Sky King

Reaction score
One of the myths that I have heard repeated from time to time since early in my career was that a "bad" member of the team may be transformed by putting them within a group of stellar team members -- that the positive influence will make that person become a better employee. FALSE.

Actually, the opposite happens almost exclusively and there have been countless studies covering a wide variety of professions from which to draw a conclusion regarding this subject. The results are pretty much the same across the board. Here is a representative article that examines such studies:

https://www.inc.com/will-yakowicz/one-toxic-employee-will-spoil-whole-bunch.html

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Really? He's been playing for teams such as The Browns and The Giants, of course he's going to be seen as the scapegoat. And let's be honest some of those "distractions" weren't even a big deal. Put him on a contender team with a strong locker room like ours, and THEN let's see if he's a "distraction" bet you he wouldn't.

Scapegoat would imply that he's receiving all the blame for those teams being lousy. That's not what I said. I don't think that's true.

But his antics, on and off field, and his messaging to the team or teammates via the media are a distraction. I'm not saying you can't live with it for the sake of the talent, but a spade is a spade.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Stefon Diggs is rumored to be on the trade market along with Odell Beckham Jr. And AJ Green is a free agent. Who would you guys rather have? Diggs and Beckham are under contract thru 2023 and cost about 11m and 14 m against the cap per year respectively. Diggs is 26 and Beckham is 27. Green would be cheaper than either, he is 31.
Diggs is going nowhere.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have a bunch of young talent at WR. So I'd go for a veteran there via FA.
ILB in R1 would be my choice.

This is a poor draft for ILB. Only real good one will be gone before we get him. WR talent is deep in the draft, not so much on our roster. I'm going WR in rd 1.

H

HardRightEdge

OBJ will do what OBJ wants no matter what locker room he's in
That's what the smart money would say. OBJ is unique in his ability to find novel distractions. I'm not sure if he distracts himself more than the teams he plays for. "All ball" or "doing it the right way" are not phrases that will be found in the same sentence with his name. He's morphed from football player to a bad boy brand.

Reaction score

No he’s not the only reason.
But I feel that any player who commands his kind of $$$ shouldn’t present so much risk. This is the year of Wideouts. If given a choice, I’d rather invest a couple of draft picks this year at WR towards younger players who will be around at least 4-5 years and keep my tens of millions.
Let someone else take the big risks on guys like him, he’s smelling more and more like a Martellus.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts