World Cup Russia 2018

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
That's very true... unfortunate but true. Being around that long, we should be a little better than we are. We've shown we can beat the best in the world, just never consistently. And that's what makes a world cup champion, you have to win consistently in tournaments. One bad game and you're out.
Rome took time to build, ;) even the bigger nations in soccer terms fail at the big tourneys.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Anyone watch the USA B Team beat the Netherlands A Team during the Friendly today. :D:tup:
Question; was it really the Netherlands a team. Did Robben play? Forget it. I just found the roster. Van Persie and Huntelaar were both there. That should have been good enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Question; was it really the Netherlands a team. Did Robben play? Forget it. I just found the roster. Van Persie and Huntelaar were both there. That should have been good enough.

And if you looked at our starting roster, you'd know that was our B Team. And the game was in the Netherlands.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if you looked at our starting roster, you'd know that was our B Team. And the game was in the Netherlands.

It was another horrible performance by the Dutch national team, and especially the defense :(. Honestly, the Dutch national team has not played a good game since the world cup anymore :(. The chemistry seems to be lacking. I do believe that there is a serious possibility that this team won't qualify for France 2016. The pressure is definitely on Hiddink and the players next Friday. It pretty simple, if they don't win Hiddink will most likely be fired.

At least for this game versus USA the Dutch team had some kind of excuse since they missed many starters: Vlaar, de Vrij, Robben and Willems didn't play because of injury. Also Sneijder and van der Wiel didn't play (although I personally think that Janmaat is the better right back anyways). Especially the lack of both Vlaar and de Vrij hurt since the Dutch lack good back-up defenders besides Martin Indi. This forced Bruma into action. To make a long story short: he S*CKS! Moreover the absence of Willems forced midfielder Blind to left back spot (btw: Willems was also injured for the world cup).

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was another horrible performance by the Dutch national team, and especially the defense :(. Honestly, the Dutch national team has not played a good game since the world cup anymore :(. The chemistry seems to be lacking. I do believe that there is a serious possibility that this team won't qualify for France 2016. The pressure is definitely on Hiddink and the players next Friday. It pretty simple, if they don't win Hiddink will most likely be fired.

At least for this game versus USA the Dutch team had some kind of excuse since they missed many starters: Vlaar, de Vrij, Robben and Willems didn't play because of injury. Also Sneijder and van der Wiel didn't play (although I personally think that Janmaat is the better right back anyways). Especially the lack of both Vlaar and de Vrij hurt since the Dutch lack good back-up defenders besides Martin Indi. This forced Bruma into action. To make a long story short: he S*CKS! Moreover the absence of Willems forced midfielder Blind to left back spot (btw: Willems was also injured for the world cup).
Oh, Bruma is still playing for the Dutch team :eek: No surprise that you guys wont win anything when players like him make it to the National team. ;)
He was another player Arnesen brought with him from Stamford Bridge to Hamburg, he ended up playing in our reserve team.:rolleyes:
However, lets see if we can do better tonight against the US team, I think all of our players are already in mood for their upcoming vacation trips. I don't expect much, against Gibraltar on Saturday is more important and our C-team should be good enough for a win.
But I wonder who is responsible for this silly schedule, qualifying games two weeks after the end of the seasons in all leagues. Stupid.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Germany won't have its starting back line today. No Hummels or Boateng. Mueller, Neuer and Kroos won't be there either. Thank God they are letting some of the Bayern guys rest. The midfield looks solid and so do the attackers. But that back line and goal should be interesting to watch; a bunch of call ups.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Oh, Bruma is still playing for the Dutch team :eek: No surprise that you guys wont win anything when players like him make it to the National team. ;)
He was another player Arnesen brought with him from Stamford Bridge to Hamburg, he ended up playing in our reserve team.:rolleyes:
However, lets see if we can do better tonight against the US team, I think all of our players are already in mood for their upcoming vacation trips. I don't expect much, against Gibraltar on Saturday is more important and our C-team should be good enough for a win.
But I wonder who is responsible for this silly schedule, qualifying games two weeks after the end of the seasons in all leagues. Stupid.
They played the friendly in D.C. on the same weekend Bayern faced Dortmund for the Pokal.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I don't recognize half of the names on the US roster. That shows how little I follow footy in the US. I should be ashamed.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well we don't really have many alternatives. Sven van Beek was injured (and Hiddink thinks he is too young anyways, I would say if you are good enough, you are old enough). Veltman from Ajax was the alternative, but he isn't very good either. So that makes you wonder why Virgil van Dijk from Celtic was not selected?

Actually, talking about Bruma. I used to visit a lot of youth soccer games in Rotterdam when I was younger. So I have seen Bruma play several times. He was really impressive back than! Everyone, literally everyone (myself included), believed he would become a world class defender. But it seems like he has not improved since. By the way, at that time, his back-up was Stefan de Vrij, who was nearly sent packing because he wasn't talented enough. Ironically right now Stefan de Vrij is much better than Bruma, and a starter in the Dutch national team!

Yeah, that is really stupid. They should give the players enough rest after a season.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, talking about Bruma. I used to visit a lot of youth soccer games in Rotterdam when I was younger. So I have seen Bruma play several times. He was really impressive back than! Everyone, literally everyone (myself included), believed he would become a world class defender. But it seems like he has not improved since. By the way, at that time, his back-up was Stefan de Vrij, who was nearly sent packing because he wasn't talented enough. Ironically right now Stefan de Vrij is much better than Bruma, and a starter in the Dutch national team!
Yeah, sometimes strange how things turn out or how some players even waste their talent.
I only heard good about Stefan de Vrij, some German teams were interested to sign him before he moved to Lazio.

Btw - 1-0 for the World Champions ! ;)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Itkovian and I just talked about how we need to get some of those white jerseys with the awesome gold shield.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
On behalf of the moron who ran down across the aisle with a big American flag, in front of the German fans, I apologize. Most Americans don't undertstand the German reservations about flag waving.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, sometimes strange how things turn out or how some players even waste their talent.! ;)

I think there are 2 reasons: First, there is some simple statistics. There are more less talented guys than more talented guys. There is always some uncertainty involved, and therefore many good players used to be on of those "less talented guys." Second, many of these supposedly less talented guys are often told that they are less talented. Therefore they know need to work harder. On the other hand, some of the big talents think they can make it with half work, which they can't.

I only heard good about Stefan de Vrij

Yeah he is a good player! Probably the best Dutch central defender. Schalke '04 was interested, but somehow De Vrij preferred Italy over Germany and England.

PS: The name to follow this summer is Jetro Willems. He has already played 120 league games and 15 national team games as 21 year old. He is probably the most talented player in the Dutch league right now. He is a great left back, who is fast, strong defensively and has an amazing cross (16 assists this year). I will be fun to see where he ends up (as in, I would be happy when he left since he plays for a rival).

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

On behalf of the moron who ran down across the aisle with a big American flag, in front of the German fans, I apologize. Most Americans don't undertstand the German reservations about flag waving.

Seriously ?? :eek:. You genuinely surprise me.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Seriously ?? :eek:. You genuinely surprise me.
I learned a lot from the group of Pastors and Educators from Germany that I hosted here in Central PA. They were shocked at the number of homes that had a flag flying out front and they were amazed at how Gettysburg memorializes and venerates war with tons of statues and monuments.In Germamy they are naturally shy of such militaristic nationalism. They learned the hard way where that attitude leads.

I

I learned a lot from the group of Pastors and Educators from Germany that I hosted here in Central PA. They were shocked at the number of homes that had a flag flying out front and they were amazed at how Gettysburg memorializes and venerates war with tons of statues and monuments.In Germamy they are naturally shy of such militaristic nationalism. They learned the hard way where that attitude leads.

I can see that point to a degree but I was in the U.S. not long after 9/11 and was impressed by the patriotism TBO. In England, we are wary of flags because it might offend other nationalities living here, BUT its fine for them to fly theirs.
Oh well, thank you for explaining that mate !

I

I`ve always been interested in the ACW. I`ll get to Gettysburg one day. Fredericksburg is another draw.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I`ve always been interested in the ACW. I`ll get to Gettysburg one day. Fredericksburg is another draw.
If you come to Gettysburg I'll show you around and take you to the best Tavern in town, my treat. I was a C W reenactor and appeared in the movie "Gods and Generals" as an " extra".

I

If you come to Gettysburg I'll show you around and take you to the best Tavern in town, my treat.

And I`ll buy you that bottle of Talisker ;). I grew up interested in the Civil War. I was a member of the 2nd Wisconsin regiment (Iron Brigade) for a number of years. Big hat and everything...lol

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Which regiment ? That was an awesome film.

Normally I was with the 50th PA volunteers, then the 100th PA Volunteers. But for the movie, my son and I were johnny rebs. :mad: We signed up for the union portion, but hollywood changed it on us and made us rebs. A lot of Union re-enactors walked out rather than become rebels, but my son begged me to stay, so we did. In the one train scene where General Jackson is talking with someone, I'm the confederate loading bags of stuff onto the train. LOL

I

Normally I was with the 50th PA volunteers, then the 100th PA Volunteers. But for the movie, my son and I were johnny rebs. :mad: We signed up for the union portion, but hollywood changed it on us and made us rebs. A lot of Union re-enactors walked out rather than become rebels, but my son begged me to stay, so we did. In the one train scene where General Jackson is talking with someone, I'm the confederate loading bags of stuff onto the train. LOL

I`ll have to look out for you.....lol I started life with the 20th Maine, but those guys seemed more interested in the beer tent. I went with the 2nd Wisconsin but the C.O. was a jerk, so I finished with the 19th Indiana. We were serious about the whole thing. Good times.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts