World Cup Russia 2018

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Normally I was with the 50th PA volunteers, then the 100th PA Volunteers. But for the movie, my son and I were johnny rebs. :mad: We signed up for the union portion, but hollywood changed it on us and made us rebs. A lot of Union re-enactors walked out rather than become rebels, but my son begged me to stay, so we did. In the one train scene where General Jackson is talking with someone, I'm the confederate loading bags of stuff onto the train. LOL

If you happen to have the extended edition, when a cannonball explodes near General Jackson, I am the reb standing next to the rebel flag. Darn horse almost kicked us in the head during filming because of the blast.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Can't wait to hear all the overreactions to today's US win lol

We already know them; "The U.S. team is the best in the world. Look how they beat the Netherlands and Germany. Every other team should just give up and roll over for them in the next world cup. The U.S. will take it, without a doubt."

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
I don't recognize half of the names on the US roster. That shows how little I follow footy in the US. I should be ashamed.

You didn't recognize the names because they aren't starters. Mostly backups.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Maybe their goalie today should be the starter. He was impressive.

He plays for Aston Villa. He's good, but Timmy Howard is still better. They will fight for the spot in September.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
We beat the Germans! Where's our congratulations?

USA U-20 win over Columbia
USWNT win over Australia
USMNT win over Netherlands and Germany
USA brings down FIFA

All in the same week. Clearly, we are 20 years behind in soccer. ;):D

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Can't wait to hear all the overreactions to today's US win lol

We already know them; "The U.S. team is the best in the world. Look how they beat the Netherlands and Germany. Every other team should just give up and roll over for them in the next world cup. The U.S. will take it, without a doubt."

A win is a win. We scored more goals... We had our B Team too.

See @PackerFan71, this is exactly what I spoke about last week. Had we lost, all we hear is, "The USA just cannot compete on the European top level". "The US is still lagging behind quality competition".

But when we win a friendly, then it's, "Let's see all the over-reactions", "It doesn't really count, it's a friendly". We never get our due. It's what we deal with on a yearly basis. And it's not just this board. We hear it at our own bar. You'd wonder why we even suit up and take the field and even kick the ball off. Might as well as stay in the locker room and drink beer. :D

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
By the way, did you all hear all of the USA singing and chanting. Not much from the German fans. Just saying.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
A win is a win. We scored more goals... We had our B Team too.

See @PackerFan71, this is exactly what I spoke about last week. Had we lost, all we hear is, "The USA just cannot compete on the European top level". "The US is still lagging behind quality competition".

But when we win a friendly, then it's, "Let's see all the over-reactions", "It doesn't really count, it's a friendly". We never get our due. It's what we deal with on a yearly basis. And it's not just this board. We hear it at our own bar. You'd wonder why we even suit up and take the field and even kick the ball off. Might as well as stay in the locker room and drink beer. :D

Win more important games that actually count toward something and the U.S. will recieve its due. But winning friendlies doesn't really impress. Win the Concacaf, then place in the top 4 of the World cup and the U.S. will recieve its due.

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
USA is probably the only country in the world that plays so hard and puts so much stock into a friendly :roflmao:

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
And if Germany had won today i'd say the same thing I said when USA won...."Meh".

A friendly is a friendly. Do you put this much value into preseason NFL wins?

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
And if Germany had won today i'd say the same thing I said when USA won...."Meh".

A friendly is a friendly. Do you put this much value into preseason NFL wins?

What's the NFL? Ah c'mon. No way is there any relation between a football friendly and an NFL pre-season game. Friendlies count in the FIFA rankings still (as stupid as the FIFA ranking system is), while a NFL pre-season game means nothing except for watching a bunch of kids trying to make the team. I don't even watch pre-season.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
USA is probably the only country in the world that plays so hard and puts so much stock into a friendly :roflmao:

We could always ask the Germans who bought a ticket to the game to see if they wanted and expected a win, and are upset with the loss. :eek:;)

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
This is all in one week. Pretty spectacular.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest, nobody here cares about the loss because it's a friendly and friendlies don't win any championships.
But in the end it's a well deserved win for the US team and the 2-1 winner was a nice effort by Wood, dont think Wood scores a goal like this a second time in the near furure. Great shot.:tup:
I think USA has made another step forward with Klinsmann as their coach but there is still a long way to go until they will be World Cup contenders.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I think Germany played hard. But I also think the coach put all those callups in the defense to try out for future positions on the squad. If an international team couldn't score on that goalie and defense, they should be ashamed to call themselves a world cup caliber team.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
PS: The name to follow this summer is Jetro Willems. He has already played 120 league games and 15 national team games as 21 year old. He is probably the most talented player in the Dutch league right now. He is a great left back, who is fast, strong defensively and has an amazing cross (16 assists this year). I will be fun to see where he ends up (as in, I would be happy when he left since he plays for a rival).

Luca, you mentioned Jetro Willems and today they posted this nice video of Jetro on a German football website.
Interesting way of kicking a penalty :D
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
A lot of upsets in the U-20 quarterfinals in the past 2 days.

Germany U-20 loses to Mali
USA U-20 loses to Serbia
Brazil U-20 beat Portugal

:(

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
A lot of upsets in the U-20 quarterfinals in the past 2 days.

Germany U-20 loses to Mali
USA U-20 loses to Serbia
Brazil U-20 beat Portugal

:(

And in the women's world cup, there are now a number of contenders in my opinion. I guess the beautiful game is at times unpredictable as well. The U.S. women look very powerful, but this last game showed that there are teams that can stay with them. The German girls, though ranked number one, didn't really look like it in their last outing. Now other teams are rising to the top. Sweden looked strong the other day. And who would have thought Australia would be high in the rankings?

Members online

Latest posts