World Cup Brazil 2014

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Oh. And another thing; according to ESPN the Mag, more young people play soccer than any other sport in America!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Must be a Southwest thing. At the Germany v US friendly the only ones singing were Germany fans. The US fans were droning on with the chant. I did read an article though, that stated mostly younger people in the US are taking a big interest in soccer, but those over 40 not so much. Then there is this fun little article; http://online.wsj.com/articles/how-...089558?mod=WSJ_hppMIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsSecond

That's a croak of shyte (pun intended). The American Outlaws (AO) were there and singing most of the game. I just happened to review the whole tape of the game. The German fans that I heard weren't even singing, they were chanting (oh, oh oh oh ohhhhhhhhhhhh oh, type of thing). That's chanting, not singing. We sing. In that game we sang over 10 AO songs multiple times.

It's not a Southwest thing. The American Outlaws are nationwide. The only singing was from American fans so I'm not sure where you are coming from on this. I'm not even sure why you can't support the USA in combination with Germany, after all, you are American.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Oh. And another thing; according to ESPN the Mag, more young people play soccer than any other sport in America!

Yeah, but that was also true 20 years ago. Everyone played soccer growing up. Its just that after high school soccer, there wasn't hardly anything, and that's what kept us down so long. There wasn't really professional soccer after high school/college.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Probably not worth nothing, but if anyone loves travelling to the Southwest USA, Costa Rica is worth travelling to. I've been there twice.

It's a cheap vacation. Hotels, food, drinks and entertainment are very decently priced.

I did a 3 hour long zipline thru the rain forest.... included transportation and lunch and swimming time in the waterfalls. It was only $250. Amazing time.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

As a Scotland fan I should hate Costa Rica after 1990. (Total domination could not put the ball in the net, they break away win 1-0) :rolleyes: but I don't. :) Lots of unlatin type surnames, a very small country with what looks like a fantastic climate.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
When you have a 5-2 and you can't even get a good shot off, you might be Greek. Greeks just seem to play stingy defense and rely on some counters. When they have a man advantage, they still play the same way.... silly.

They deserved to lose.

Greece really should have beaten ten men Costa Rica who were dead on their feet at the end with the disadvantage, but their style of play is so negative and basic. They (Greece) should really be home already.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a USA fan, I wanted to hold off on this for awhile, but now I think its ok to let loose.

I typically think the media distorts views about the knowledge of USA soccer fans. Yes, we have a big country, with lots of uneducated people, but I think that the media combines soccer fans knowledge with non-soccer fans knowledge in order to show that USA really don't care or don't understand football.

I know I attach a lot of videos of our soccer fans here, but I can just about guarantee you atleast 90% of those people in the videos understand the game much the same way Europeans do. We understand triangles, double triangles, diamond formations, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 and the strategies entitled to such. And we (American Outlaw chapters statewide), typically sing more than the National teams of most other nations. Maybe even equal to club teams in the BPL and Bundesliga.

And we don't just watch the games and chant, "USA, USA, USA" and then somehow MAGICALLY hope the ball goes into the back of the opponents net so we can jump up and down and scream and throw beer in the air. We understand and see how we are trying to setup our goals. I don't know why people keep asking me if we understand what's going on in the game, but I suspect the media is part of this problem. But if you take a sample of true soccer fans, we understand the game, and even if/when the USA gets eliminated from the World Cup/Other Tournament, it's not over. We will watch till the very end.

*Rant over*

:p Peace my friends.

Keep cool Bundesbiers. ;)
You are still a relatively young football/soccer nation, maybe thats why you are going to bear questions like that. For most of us Europeans the USA is still the country of Baseball, Amercian Football or Basketball. And yes, some of us may still look down at American football fans. (not me as you hopefully now!)
Btw - Klinsi told players wives to book their flights back home after the final, thats the right spirit ! ;):D

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
That's a croak of shyte (pun intended). The American Outlaws (AO) were there and singing most of the game. I just happened to review the whole tape of the game. The German fans that I heard weren't even singing, they were chanting (oh, oh oh oh ohhhhhhhhhhhh oh, type of thing). That's chanting, not singing. We sing. In that game we sang over 10 AO songs multiple times.

It's not a Southwest thing. The American Outlaws are nationwide. The only singing was from American fans so I'm not sure where you are coming from on this. I'm not even sure why you can't support the USA in combination with Germany, after all, you are American.

No crock. I was there. I didn't watch it on TV. Germany fans all around us. If the AO were singing, they were drowned out by the USA chant.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I think a USA victory would be good for American footy. So to that end I support their team. I spent enough time in Germany to see that America has a lot they could learn from Germany. If I could I would expatriate to Germany. Too old and too tired of what America has become. Sure , that's only one opinion and fairly odd at that, but that's where I'm coming from. My great grandfathers fought for the Union at Gettysburg. My Grandpa fought in WWI and my Dad in WWII. But, in my opinion only, the US they fought for no longer exists.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, a Dutchy here. It seems like some of you guys don't like us anymore. I'm glad we won, but honestly we were very very lucky to win.

The first 60 minutes of the Dutch team were rubbish. It might have been the worst 60 minutes of the Dutch national team ever. I don't think we actually had a single shot on target. The Mexicans on the other hand created several good opportunities.

After thos 60 minutes it looked more like the Mexicans lost the game, than that we won it. The Mexicans switched to very defensive tactics after their goal. Which is very stupid when your goalkeeper sucks big time at crosses. First, their was the warning shot from de Vrij from 4 yards (how on earth can a player shoot a corner from 4 yards, the goalkeeper should catch at least anything in the 6 yard box, or at least punch it.) Well, the Mexicans stayed in their all-out-defence allowing some Dutch crosses en corners. Vlaar botched a 6 yard header (again, huge mistake by Ochoa), before Huntelaar headed back to Sneijder, who easily scored. In my opinion bad Mexican tactics and bad goalkeeping were to blame for this goal.

Well and than there is the "controversial" game winning penalty call. I always tough to judge when Robben falls when it is a penalty or not since he is a certified diver, but he also gets fouled a lot. At first I though the was a classic Robben dive. I watched the call from all angles (you have apps/sites for that). In the end I do think that in this case this was the right call. Marquez touched Robben enough to trip him and take him down (and yes, the theatre of Robben was unnecessary and he should stop that, but it's about the legs not about the upper body, his leg got tripped). In a way this call is similar to the call in the Greece-Ivory Coast game, that also looked like a dive first, but turned out to be right call after reviewing it from different angles. By the way, this was a stupid way of defending from Marquez from that angle. Just keep the guy in front of you, he can't do anything.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Embellishment is a blemish on the game. As I said in a previous post... this is a bigger problem than the antics of Luis Suarez.

Quite funny to say that diving is a bigger problem than "the antics of Luis Suarez." When Luis Suarez played in the Dutch league he dived all the time. Suarez was way worse than Robben (I have to admit that I rarely see them play now. I usually only watch Italian and Dutch soccer).

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, a Dutchy here. It seems like some of you guys don't like us anymore.
I hope it didnt offend you Luca when I live out the typical German/Dutch rivalry. Its just fun. ;)
As you may guess, I cant root for a Dutch team, no matter who they are playing and Im pretty sure most of you guys feel the same about us and our team. :cautious::D
And I very much appreciate your point of view regarding the Robben penalty but Im still of the opinion that this was way too much acting by Robben instead of a foul .
Anyway - your team won and I hope our teams will meet each other in the final. ;)

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
No crock. I was there. I didn't watch it on TV. Germany fans all around us. If the AO were singing, they were drowned out by the USA chant.

All's I'm saying is that watching the whole game from my laptop, the only singing you hear over the broadcast are the American Outlaws. After Germany scored a few goals, then you heard some chanting from the Germans.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope it didnt offend you Luca when I live out the typical German/Dutch rivalry. Its just fun. ;)
As you may guess, I cant root for a Dutch team, no matter who they are playing and Im pretty sure most of you guys feel the same about us and our team. :cautious::D
And I very much appreciate your point of view regarding the Robben penalty but Im still of the opinion that this was way too much acting by Robben instead of a foul .
Anyway - your team won and I hope our teams will meet each other in the final. ;)

LOL, no I am not offended. I have to say that I used to hate the German teams for their counter attacks and last minute scoring, so I can't really hate you guys anymore, can I ;)?

I like the way the Germans play since 2004. I would like the Dutch to win the championship, but I wouldn't mind a German win.

And yes, the Dutch-German rivalry is fun nowadays. There is no hate anymore and there is mutual respect.

Last edited:

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Keep cool Bundesbiers. ;)
You are still a relatively young football/soccer nation, maybe thats why you are going to bear questions like that. For most of us Europeans the USA is still the country of Baseball, Amercian Football or Basketball. And yes, some of us may still look down at American football fans. (not me as you hopefully now!)
Btw - Klinsi told players wives to book their flights back home after the final, thats the right spirit ! ;):D

Young or not, that doesn't mean we don't understand the game. Ever since the last 70's, earl 80's, soccer was and still is the most played sport in the US. I played ever since just turning 6 years old, all the way thru high school. I understand its not the same thing as the youth system in Europe, but that doesn't mean we don't understand the game. Unfortunately, in the 80's there really wasn't a true professional league that we could look up to. In fact, even more popular in the 80's was what we called "Indoor Soccer". And by the way, my San Diego Sockers are 14 times champions. 14 rings... looking for one for the Big Toe!

I still think we have just as many smart soccer fans as we do American football fans. And remember, even tho its popular here, there are many Americans who don't understand American Football or Baseball.

I think getting past Belgium would be huge for us. And if we do, with Costa Rica advancing, maybe our region we will start to get some more respect. I get tired of hearing how easy CONCACAF is to compete from. Well try going to Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, and Honduras during qualifying season. Its not as easy as it seems. Even the USA lost in Honduras and Costa Rica. Tough places to play.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Young or not, that doesn't mean we don't understand the game. Ever since the last 70's, earl 80's, soccer was and still is the most played sport in the US. I played ever since just turning 6 years old, all the way thru high school. I understand its not the same thing as the youth system in Europe, but that doesn't mean we don't understand the game. Unfortunately, in the 80's there really wasn't a true professional league that we could look up to. In fact, even more popular in the 80's was what we called "Indoor Soccer". And by the way, my San Diego Sockers are 14 times champions. 14 rings... looking for one for the Big Toe!

I still think we have just as many smart soccer fans as we do American football fans. And remember, even tho its popular here, there are many Americans who don't understand American Football or Baseball.

I think getting past Belgium would be huge for us. And if we do, with Costa Rica advancing, maybe our region we will start to get some more respect. I get tired of hearing how easy CONCACAF is to compete from. Well try going to Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, and Honduras during qualifying season. Its not as easy as it seems. Even the USA lost in Honduras and Costa Rica. Tough places to play.

This is definitely true. It's you younger folks who have a better grasp on the game. When I was in High School there was no soccer program. Indoor soccer is still pretty popular. One of my sons was invited to work out for the Baltimore Blast. He's a Health and PE Teacher now. Pro Soccer doesn't have the financial impetus of the NFL or MLB so it is somewhat overshadowed. I know it sounds cynical, but until Madison Avenue figures out how to exploit the MLS like it does the NFL and MLB, it'll be an uphill battle for US footy.

Last edited:

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
This is definitely true. It's you younger folks who have a better grasp on the game. When I was in High School there was no soccer program. Indoor soccer is still pretty popular. One of my sons was invited to work out for the Baltimore Blast. He's a Health and PE Teacher now. Pro Soccer doesn't have the financial impetus of the NFL or MLB so it is somewhat overshadowed. I know it sounds cynical, but until Madison Avenue figures out how to exploit the MLS like it does the NFL and MLB, it'll be an uphill battle for US footy.

The Baltimore Blast and San Diego Sockers had a great rivalry. With San Diego getting the best of them. ;):D

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The Baltimore Blast and San Diego Sockers had a great rivalry. With San Diego getting the best of them. ;):D

Hah! We got to know Danny Kelly and his wife through our local youth program. It's good my son didn't go with the Blast, though. He developed hip problems in college. The Doc said it was a common problem for a lot of guys who started playing when they were so young (the son wss playing at 5).

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Quite funny to say that diving is a bigger problem than "the antics of Luis Suarez." When Luis Suarez played in the Dutch league he dived all the time. Suarez was way worse than Robben (I have to admit that I rarely see them play now. I usually only watch Italian and Dutch soccer).

Actually I said embellishment, not diving. That also includes throwing up your arms at an official for a non-call, making a meal out of every minor injury to waste time, and harassing the fourth official about too much / too little stoppage time. there seems to be a lot of this going on. The Greeks were bad footballers. The Costa Ricans were bad sports. I was impressed with neither.

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score

Level of understanding is relative... isn't it? There are a lot of stoopid opinions posted on the American Football boards. I can't even imagine a MLB board.

"Frank was such an idiot sitting on a fastball on that 3-2 pitch in the 6th. Anybody with a brain knew it was going to be a slider."

I am glad you got you rant out there Tyce. V. Kompany and cohorts should be taking care of the rest post haste! :D

----
Just a thought speaking of rivalries. We are on line for a Holland/Belgium semi. That would be cool. Argentina are a big road block to that happening though.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Well, a Dutchy here. It seems like some of you guys don't like us anymore. I'm glad we won, but honestly we were very very lucky to win.

I used to be a big fan of the Dutch team, Cruyffs mentality anyway. Then they went all win at all costs ugly. Now its a bit of both but at least the play in some games is getting better in terms of style this tournament. Van Persie's headed effort against Spain is a favourite goal so far.

Last edited:

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
See...... Ami's are respected in football.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/u-s--b...f-other-world-cup-team-nations-224510530.html

"We like your mental state," said a slightly inebriated German fan called Jorg (but who insisted on being referred to as George) at Recife airport on Friday. "[Americans] are likeable and friendly and your football [team] is the same. There are no, how do you say, villains. Americans have been the most fun to hang out with. And drink with. Good luck to you."

"If the World Cup – the pinnacle of England's favorite sport by a country mile – has shown us anything thus far this year, it's that the Americans are actually doing it right," wrote Liam Happe, an English sports journalist for Yahoo Eurosport. "I know who I'll be cheering for throughout the rest of the finals."

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, thats really bad so far. I will never understand Jogi Low, 4 centre backs in our back four, Lahm still playing defensive midfielder and Müller as a false 9. Our biggest problem is this coach. :rolleyes:

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I used to be a big fan of the Dutch team, Cruyffs mentality anyway. Then they went all win at all costs ugly. Now its a bit of both but at least the play in some games is getting better in terms of style this tournament. Van Persie's headed effort against Spain is a favourite goal so far.

Yeah those good old times that we played attractive and dominating soccer! I like the Dutch teams of the early seventies, late eighties and late nineties. But honestly the usually failed to deliver.:) Most Dutch people think back with good memories to those times, and there was and is a LOT of critique in Holland about the playing style (I personally don't like it too much either).

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Wow, thats really bad so far. I will never understand Jogi Low, 4 centre backs in our back four, Lahm still playing defensive midfielder and Müller as a false 9. Our biggest problem is this coach. :rolleyes:

Every German is scratching their head about this formation.... even Klinsi. :D

Latest posts