World Cup Brazil 2014

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fed up of hearing that Marquez shouldnt have put his leg out, that doesnt wash with me. He dived constantly throughout the game. And until something happens to these multiple offenders then football will continue to slowly die. Its disgusting.

As a defender, if you constantly kicked a player game after game, you'd get red card after red card and the suspensions would get longer and longer. Yet for persistent diving? Nothing.
Thats what Thomas Helmer, a former German International just said on German TV. Robben tried it 3 or 4 times before until it finally worked out. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Thats what Thomas Helmer, a former German International just said on German TV. Robben tried it 3 or 4 times before until it finally worked out. :rolleyes:

Darauf soll man ja bekanntlich hören ;):D

I think there is too much being made of this. It was a foul... and a pretty silly one to boot. In other situations people get on the referees for not calling them. Robben's reputation does not make it less a foul.

Embellishment is a blemish on the game. As I said in a previous post... this is a bigger problem than the antics of Luis Suarez.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is too much being made of this. It was a foul... and a pretty silly one to boot. In other situations people get on the referees for not calling them. Robben's reputation does not make it less a foul.

Embellishment is a blemish on the game. As I said in a previous post... this is a bigger problem than the antics of Luis Suarez.
I still dont think the last one was a foul but I agree that it was a stupid tackle by Marquez. He should have known that the slightest touch is enough for Robben to fly through the air as if from the ten metres board.
But I must admit that the one in in the first half was a penalty.
Anyway, Mexico simply did not enough to win the game, this Dutch team was beatable today.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Tough one for Mexico, the better team for me. Robben is a diver lets be honest and he took full advantage of the defenders foot. A shame was looking forward to the extra time. :rolleyes:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrible Word Cup football weekend so far, Brazil won, the Dutch too, hopefully its not getting worse with Greece
winning against Costa Rica.:rolleyes:
Come on Costa Rica ! :tup:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't seen much footy lately. I've been "suffering" by sleeping on the beach every day. Right now living at Park Place. Yes, THAT Park Place. But I catch up on the footy news by logging on here through mobile. Wishing you were here. ;)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Sorry I haven't seen much footy lately. I've been "suffering" by sleeping on the beach every day. Right now living at Park Place. Yes, THAT Park Place. But I catch up on the footy news by logging on here through mobile. Wishing you were here. ;)

I hope it rains......lol :rolleyes:

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Indeed. A goalkeeper can't be "the guy".

---
Looks can be deceiving, but if Ochoa hurries up to Toronto, he could still make the tail end of the Pride Festival. :D

Ok, but you answered after the 2 goals scored against them. Ochoa was "the guy" that got them into the round of 16, no arguments needed.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
I will say the Robben PK at the end was crap, however, I thought the foul against him earlier in the game should have been a PK and was not called.

So I think the outcome stays the same.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Yay for the forces of anti football!!!! 1-1 Greece odds on to make it a great weekend for the darkside. :rolleyes::roflmao:
BTW was that Aaron Rodgers scoring for them? i though he was Irish. :cautious::D

Last edited:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I will say the Robben PK at the end was crap, however, I thought the foul against him earlier in the game should have been a PK and was not called.

So I think the outcome stays the same.

He's a great player but a diver, its just part of his game.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Btw i think england should follow Greece's example and appoint Tony Pulis as coach. :):alien:
The Force Strikes back well done Costa Rica!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Costa Rica didn't exactly bathe themselves in glory in this one. The Greek finishing is nothing short of atrocious. You just had to know this shootout was going to kill them.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Probably not worth nothing, but if anyone loves travelling to the Southwest USA, Costa Rica is worth travelling to. I've been there twice.

It's a cheap vacation. Hotels, food, drinks and entertainment are very decently priced.

I did a 3 hour long zipline thru the rain forest.... included transportation and lunch and swimming time in the waterfalls. It was only $250. Amazing time.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Costa Rica didn't exactly bathe themselves in glory in this one. The Greek finishing is nothing short of atrocious. You just had to know this shootout was going to kill them.

When you have a 5-2 and you can't even get a good shot off, you might be Greek. Greeks just seem to play stingy defense and rely on some counters. When they have a man advantage, they still play the same way.... silly.

They deserved to lose.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
;)Btw - impressive pictures on German TV about Viewing parties in the USA ! :tup:

As a USA fan, I wanted to hold off on this for awhile, but now I think its ok to let loose.

I typically think the media distorts views about the knowledge of USA soccer fans. Yes, we have a big country, with lots of uneducated people, but I think that the media combines soccer fans knowledge with non-soccer fans knowledge in order to show that USA really don't care or don't understand football.

I know I attach a lot of videos of our soccer fans here, but I can just about guarantee you atleast 90% of those people in the videos understand the game much the same way Europeans do. We understand triangles, double triangles, diamond formations, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 and the strategies entitled to such. And we (American Outlaw chapters statewide), typically sing more than the National teams of most other nations. Maybe even equal to club teams in the BPL and Bundesliga.

And we don't just watch the games and chant, "USA, USA, USA" and then somehow MAGICALLY hope the ball goes into the back of the opponents net so we can jump up and down and scream and throw beer in the air. We understand and see how we are trying to setup our goals. I don't know why people keep asking me if we understand what's going on in the game, but I suspect the media is part of this problem. But if you take a sample of true soccer fans, we understand the game, and even if/when the USA gets eliminated from the World Cup/Other Tournament, it's not over. We will watch till the very end.

*Rant over*

:p Peace my friends.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
As a USA fan, I wanted to hold off on this for awhile, but now I think its ok to let loose.

I typically think the media distorts views about the knowledge of USA soccer fans. Yes, we have a big country, with lots of uneducated people, but I think that the media combines soccer fans knowledge with non-soccer fans knowledge in order to show that USA really don't care or don't understand football.

I know I attach a lot of videos of our soccer fans here, but I can just about guarantee you atleast 90% of those people in the videos understand the game much the same way Europeans do. We understand triangles, double triangles, diamond formations, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 and the strategies entitled to such. And we (American Outlaw chapters statewide), typically sing more than the National teams of most other nations. Maybe even equal to club teams in the BPL and Bundesliga.

And we don't just watch the games and chant, "USA, USA, USA" and then somehow MAGICALLY hope the ball goes into the back of the opponents net so we can jump up and down and scream and throw beer in the air. We understand and see how we are trying to setup our goals. I don't know why people keep asking me if we understand what's going on in the game, but I suspect the media is part of this problem. But if you take a sample of true soccer fans, we understand the game, and even if/when the USA gets eliminated from the World Cup/Other Tournament, it's not over. We will watch till the very end.

*Rant over*

:p Peace my friends.

Must be a Southwest thing. At the Germany v US friendly the only ones singing were Germany fans. The US fans were droning on with the chant. I did read an article though, that stated mostly younger people in the US are taking a big interest in soccer, but those over 40 not so much. Then there is this fun little article; http://online.wsj.com/articles/how-...089558?mod=WSJ_hppMIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsSecond

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts