With WRs down..Where's Trevor Davis??

D

Deleted member 6794

what happened to this guy? Is he in the doghouse or what?

Davis has only played a single snap on offense and seven on special teams since fumbling a punt at Tennessee. Even if he's active in Sunday because of Nelson and possibly Janis not playing I don't expect him to have any impact.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect zero chance of him returning kicks in the playoffs unless Cobb, Janis, Montgomery, and Hyde are all injured. It's possible that he could get a snap in a five wide set, but I wouldn't expect it.

I haven't heard about him being in the doghouse specifically, but would guess that he hasn't buried his nose in the playbook and hasn't shown anything in practice to warrant more playing time. We've already heard McCarthy praise guys like Dean Lowry, saying that they deserve more snaps. Fackrell is making his way into games more. If you're not on that list by now, you've got more work to do.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I expect zero chance of him returning kicks in the playoffs unless Cobb, Janis, Montgomery, and Hyde are all injured. It's possible that he could get a snap in a five wide set, but I wouldn't expect it.

I haven't heard about him being in the doghouse specifically, but would guess that he hasn't buried his nose in the playbook and hasn't shown anything in practice to warrant more playing time. We've already heard McCarthy praise guys like Dean Lowry, saying that they deserve more snaps. Fackrell is making his way into games more. If you're not on that list by now, you've got more work to do.
Yeah, this isn't the time to be experimenting or trying to get cute.

The guys that have shown AR should trust in them are the ones that will be getting the snaps.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still mad he didn't catch that BOMB AR12 threw in the first Lions game :rolleyes:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arod probably just doesn't see much in him and preferred smoke-mo over him. the confidence aron had in adams paid off and it proved pivotal(and worth the patience) in these recent match ups, DESPITE the slow start this year and poop performance of last year.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean the one that resulted in a 66-yard pass interference penalty??? No need to be mad about it.
Just teasing, but that would have been such a highlight TD for both of them. That throw was ridiculous.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did well against Atlanta tho. I expect to see him more than 5 snaps if Nelson doesn't play. If not then at least a lot more Janis. Even if they aren't catching 60 yd bombs I'll take the PI and the yards! Davis can get deep, and he will be even faster on that grass turf.

D

Deleted member 6794

He did well against Atlanta tho. I expect to see him more than 5 snaps if Nelson doesn't play. If not then at least a lot more Janis. Even if they aren't catching 60 yd bombs I'll take the PI and the yards! Davis can get deep, and he will be even faster on that grass turf.

The Packers passing offense has mostly stopped looking for the big play if it's not there. Therefore I don't expect either Janis or Davis to be a key factor in the game plan.

mongoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He is fast but still has to prove his catching abilities. His drop passes in preseason camp should have been an indication of his butter fingers.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is fast but still has to prove his catching abilities. His drop passes in preseason camp should have been an indication of his butter fingers.

You mean like...Devante Adams? No one seems to have given up on him for his occasional bitter fingers and he's in year 3. I think it's to early to give up on the rookie Davis.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean like...Devante Adams? No one seems to have given up on him for his occasional bitter fingers and he's in year 3. I think it's to early to give up on the rookie Davis.
Adams is exactly the reason I see it the other way around. I am done second guessing the coaching staff when it comes to wide receiver development. I will admit that after last year, I was convinced that the coaches were wrong and that Adams was a bust. I was obviously very wrong. If the coaches are not impressed with Davis, I will trust that they know far more than we do.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davis is at the bottom of the depth chart behind Janis and udfa G'mo. The coaching staff thought enough of him to boot Abrederris off the team so I suspect he is looked at as someone who will have next season to make a move. MM will probably bring in Mickel and put Montgomery as WR before giving Davis any snaps. I hope they have at least thought about using Davis.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm shocked they don't use Janis more. This guy showed he can play but they hardly ever use him. He can take a slant to the house. He seriously can't be that dumb in the playbook.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score

granted that davis didn't see many snaps this year, rookie year, to fully evaluate his possible potentials. if benching him is an indication of his lack of performance to potential ratio then we will have accept the judgement call of the coaches and a rod.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm shocked they don't use Janis more. This guy showed he can play but they hardly ever use him. He can take a slant to the house. He seriously can't be that dumb in the playbook.
Yes, he could. Anyone can.

The Vikings' Corduroy Patterson hasn't learned the playbook in his four years. Some players are plain dumb.

Interesting similarity but the Vikings' first round pick, Laquan Treadwell, took 80 snaps on offense this year resulting in one catch for 15 yards. He also contributed 47 on special teams. Treavor Davis took 90 offensive snaps with 79 on special teams as a 5th round pick.

I'm okay with the Packers bringing along a WR slowly, especially when we have the depth to do so.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I know Trevor and G-Mo keep being brought up in QB Aaron Rodgers mouth and its always positive.

Really? I've watched every Rodgers presser this season, haven't heard him speak much of Davis at all. Good things about gmo though.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that it's too early to give up on Davis but there's no reason to get him on the field in the playoffs either.

I'm shocked that there are still posters out there advocating for Janis to get involved on offense more often.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it's too early to give up on Davis but there's no reason to get him on the field in the playoffs either.

I'm shocked that there are still posters out there advocating for Janis to get involved on offense more often.

Well look at the one game where he got a significant amount of playing time! He had a very good game against a playoff team with a great defense and caught the two biggest passes of the game... against one of the leagues best defenders in Arizona last year. Idk how you could be shocked ppl want him to play more after that performance...I really don't.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Well look at the one game where he got a significant amount of playing time! He had a very good game against a playoff team with a great defense and caught the two biggest passes of the game... against one of the leagues best defenders in Arizona last year. Idk how you could be shocked ppl want him to play more after that performance...I really don't.
But who does he take opportunities from?

At this point, I'm sold on giving the majority of the snaps to the guys that have been making this offense lethal the past 7 weeks. Janis has performed exceptional on special teams, though. That could make the difference in winning or losing Sunday.

D

Deleted member 6794

The reasons behind Janis not getting more playing time have been discussed ad nauseam in the thread linked below, there's no reason to start it all over again.

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/defending-janis.66902/

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts