Patriots Preseason PFF Best and Worst

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like always...here we go...grades and my thoughts if any I want to add.

OFFENSE BEST

1. WR Romeo Doubs - 91.0
I know there were a few of us that called this guy was a STEAL back in April of 2022...but this dude just produces. The scary thing is he still isn't as refined as he will become...he tails off his fade routes in a way it actually makes it tougher for Love and him to make it, but he makes it. He gets open, period. Doubs and Watson make me feel very excited about what this WR room might become as it grows into it's own.
2. RG Jon Runyan Jr - 87.0 For everything we don't know about the OL...we do know Runyan would be an absolute shock if left off the starting 5. Is he elite level? No. Is he NFL starter, absolutely. Like what I've seen out of him, especially growth it seems in pass pro.
3. QB Jordan Love: 86.9 His demeanor, control and poise impress me more and more. I am 100% confident Love is going to be good, the question is no longer that for me. The question is, will be 'Blake Bortles' good, Alex Smith good, Kirk Cousins good, Stafford.....Rodgers....
4. WR Malik Heath: 83.0 To me he is our clear WR4 and I'm pissed at myself for not being more confident in predicting this as I had him ranked above Grant Dubose and I liked him more than Toure out of college. Do yourself a favor and check out what Heath is doing in the preseason for rookie WRs....shoot WRs in general.
5. QB Sean Clifford: 81.8 He is showing he is EVERYTHING many of us said, and got poo poo'd on, he is: an experienced, competitor who has won and played in big games - he won't cower from pressure.

DEFENSE BEST

1. OLB Kingsley Enagbare: 96.4 -
He is making my "far too early" mock draft where I picked him in the first round in 2022 look like a prophetic statement LOL....okay ease up there Tyni LOL. He has proven last year wasn't a fluke and at worst you have a OLB3 type NFL guy in him.
2. DL Karl Brooks: 80.4 - Lord have mercy, what he did to a few OL of the Patriots was special. Watch folks...this man is hungry to prove he should have been a higher pick.
3. LB Quay Walker: 79.4 - Most importantly...Walker hasn't been a boneheaded dummy...he plays smart this kid is above average off ball LB all day/every day.
4. OLB Justin Hollins: 78.7 - Hollins is proving to be right there along Enagbare for me at OLB. If Gary isn't back for week 1 expect a big dose of Hollins snaps.
5. CB Kiondre Thomas: 77.0 - I don't see it in Thomas personally, glad he had a good game but I just don't see a spot on the 53 for him.

WORST OFFENSE

1. RT Zach Tom: 39.2 -
Penalties plummeted his score, he also was pedestrian in run blocking. Still one of the best...and take away his two penalties he doesn't make this list I bet.
2. LG Elgton Jenkins: 44.8 Presnap penalty, iffy in the run game led him to be here as well.
3. TE Austin Allen: 46.0 With Tyler Davis out...talk about a failed attempt to make ground on that TE2 race...
4. TE Tucker Kraft: 49.7 With Tyler Davis out...talk about a failed attempt to make ground on that TE2 race...
5. WR Samori Toure: 51.3 Toure was covered very very well and found no openings arguably in his 13 routes ran....was that better coverage or bad routes....neither is solely, but with Heath balling out Toure cannot keep hoping his experience here fends off guys on the chart.

DEFENSE WORST

1. LB Tariq Carpenter: 25.1
I love Tariq, good dude...in a hybrid body type and position. He's shaping into being the second coming of Oren Burks...who never found a real home on defense, only on STs
2. OLB Arron Mosby: 28.7
3. DL Jonathan Ford: 32.6
Many keep saying he's having a good camp...he is desperately clinging to a spot DEEP on the depth chart....
4. CB Shemar Jean-Charles: 42.9 This Green Bay draft pick I think is gone.
5. DL TJ Slaton: 53.1 Slaton has been one of the most improved dudes over the last year, this isn't a terrible grade for 13 snaps in a quiet type position

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with your assessment of Charles. I don't see a spot for him on the opening day roster. Didn't watch the game. How many receiver drops did we have?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with your assessment of Charles. I don't see a spot for him on the opening day roster. Didn't watch the game. How many receiver drops did we have?

PFF at least only gave out one drop and that was to Grant Dubose

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
4. WR Malik Heath: 83.0 To me he is our clear WR4 and I'm pissed at myself for not being more confident in predicting this as I had him ranked above Grant Dubose and I liked him more than Toure out of college. Do yourself a favor and check out what Heath is doing in the preseason for rookie WRs....shoot WRs in general.
I hope he isn't just another August all-pro that disappears when the big boys put their pants on.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he isn't just another August all-pro that disappears when the big boys put their pants on.

He produced at the SEC level continually, now while the NFL is another level, he is no stranger to high level comp.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I would not say he is the clear #4. I believe that is still Toure. I do agree that he has played well and earned a roster spot. I also think that he has locked down the 5th spot. With a smaller sample size of only 3 preseason games, it's hard to say that Wicks and DuBose are not still in the mix. In the same respect, I think DuBose is showing he has a hard time staying healthy. Heath is only 23 years old, he's 6'2" and 200 lbs, he's got a big upside. I only disagree that he is the clear #4. I think he is a great score for not being drafted. Wicks had a great first preseason game and left due to a hammy. I think he is a lock with DuBose on the outside looking in. Probably practice squad.
DEFENSE BEST

1. OLB Kingsley Enagbare: 96.4 -
He is making my "far too early" mock draft where I picked him in the first round in 2022 look like a prophetic statement LOL....okay ease up there Tyni LOL. He has proven last year wasn't a fluke and at worst you have a OLB3 type NFL guy in him.
I freaking love this guy. Great depth and adds to an outstanding OLB group.
2. DL Karl Brooks: 80.4 - Lord have mercy, what he did to a few OL of the Patriots was special. Watch folks...this man is hungry to prove he should have been a higher pick.
I totally agree. I was very surprised the Packers got him where they did. He dropped because he played at Bowling Green and he is a little undersized for his position. 6'3" and 300 lbs is considered undersized these days. Good grief!
5. CB Kiondre Thomas: 77.0 - I don't see it in Thomas personally, glad he had a good game but I just don't see a spot on the 53 for him.
I don't see it either. I didn't even think he had a good game. Guess the eyeball test failed me.
WORST OFFENSE
5. WR Samori Toure: 51.3
Toure was covered very very well and found no openings arguably in his 13 routes ran....was that better coverage or bad routes....neither is solely, but with Heath balling out Toure cannot keep hoping his experience here fends off guys on the chart.
As stated above, I think he is still the clear #4. I'm not sure how much he played with the #1 offense, but I don't think some of his routes were with the top guys. It makes it easier to defend him. I like Heath a lot and he also wasn't with the 1's. We will see how it all shakes out.
DEFENSE WORST
3. DL Jonathan Ford: 32.6
Many keep saying he's having a good camp...he is desperately clinging to a spot DEEP on the depth chart....
He's a big dude and I think he makes the team. I think they will keep 6 DL and he is the 6th.
Agreed, I liked the pick at the time, but he has not proven he is an NFL corner.

Overall, good assessment and a good read.

Reaction score
Loved the way he had adapted to this point. He just needs to keep stacking good practices/Scrimmages that’s all he can do. That consistency can lead to good regular season play
2. RG Jon Runyan Jr - 87.0 For everything we don't know about the OL...we do know Runyan would be an absolute shock if left off the starting 5. Is he elite level? No. Is he NFL starter, absolutely. Like what I've seen out of him, especially growth it seems in pass pro.
I’ll only say I saw him on a couple of plays last week where he just manhandled his guy and was still kinda grappling after the play was over. Runyon has got a little more spunk than I thought. He doesn’t take S$&! Granted it’s PS but I think 1 play was leftover from some practice tension or something. He looked borderline mad at the Patriot player and was about to run him into the ground. Loved it :laugh:
I fear you are correct. He has gotten a little better but unfortunately it’s Better than non existent.
My X wife accused me of similar just before we got married. I think the expectations were so low I really impressed her!

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When my wife gets after me I have one line. "Bought as is". Yes, it doesn't go over very well, but expectations are set.
Relating it to shopping, something my wife would understand. I think you just gave me a great tip.

I told her on our first date I was "only available for a limited time" knowing full well her shopping instincts would kick in.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Relating it to shopping, something my wife would understand. I think you just gave me a great tip.

I told her on our first date I was "only available for a limited time" knowing full well her shopping instincts would kick in.
I used the "other buyers are looking at it" line.

Latest posts