• No, it will be either 9-7 or 10-6 with a wildcard spot

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • No, we're not making the playoffs

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not ludicrous at all. It's common sense.
The Vikings have a superior defense. You can't possibly not know that?

This is just not true based on the numbers.

In 2015, The Vikings allowed more passing yds, more passing TD's, were 10 pts higher in opponents QB rating over GB, 6 % pts higher in opponents comp % over GB, and they had the same amount of sacks and takeaways. Now if you want to say Minny's run D is better, okay that's valid but it wouldn't take much because the Packers run D was not good last year. Based on the #'s it wasn't THAT much better.

But I'm sure being 51 you already knew all of that.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So 51 is when I'm going to start going senile. That is good to know. I still have time enjoying life before I go crazy. Whew.
You can still enjoy life after going crazy. It's actually better because you're too crazy to care if others think you're crazy. I've found it very liberating.

1940sfootball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you realize the playoffs are the most important part of an NFL season and it doesn't matter which seed a team enters the postseason as long as they make it there???

A less successful SEASON is just that..what happens otherwise is irrelevant.
This year won't be that magic year for the Packers. The Vikings and zcar
This is just not true based on the numbers.

In 2015, The Vikings allowed more passing yds, more passing TD's, were 10 pts higher in opponents QB rating over GB, 6 % pts higher in opponents comp % over GB, and they had the same amount of sacks and takeaways. Now if you want to say Minny's run D is better, okay that's valid but it wouldn't take much because the Packers run D was not good last year. Based on the #'s it wasn't THAT much better.

Of course it's true based on numbers. The Vikings were ranked 5th last year and the Packers 12th overall. Plain and simple.
12th doesn't suck but it still will never be better than 5th obviously and what kept Green bay close in those stats o would imagine was Minn's one bad game vs Seattle.

1940sfootball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aren't those two mutually exclusive? :)

No problem with you being able to follow football without backing a team (although I don't understand the concept), but if so, why post to a forum exlcusively devoted to a single team and expect any other kind of input?

I still consider Packers a favorite team. Doesn't mean I need to blindly say pro Pack things at every turn. May as well belong to a cult at that point. It's just sports talk.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A less successful SEASON is just that..what happens otherwise is irrelevant.

A successful season is one where you win something. Anything else is just a statistic.

On a side note, I still find it hard to split between season and post-season. It's all one big season, tbh!

D

Deleted member 6794

A successful season is one where you win something. Anything else is just a statistic.

I'm not sure you're implying that winning the NFC North is what defines a successful season but while I like the Packers to win the division it doesn't matter a whole lot in the grand scheme of things as long as the team gets to the playoffs as a wild card.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm 51, I watch football for entertainment, not to worship one team. I call it like I see it and I enjoy being right.
Aah yes, I recall that age. Young and foolish, thought I knew it all.

Geez, haven't seen a troll like you around here in years.
Now, now, be nice to the noob. He's only been here for one season. Let's see if he can make the infamous 2nd year jump. And Cap't he's got a long way to go to be an effective troll. 1940 should search for the Ram fan that was here last season or the one before. He was GOOD.
stop obsessing. Go sit in front of the tv and wait for a preseason game to come on.
Best advice yet.

1940sfootball

Cheesehead
Reaction score

On a side note, I still find it hard to split between season and post-season. It's all one big season, tbh!

simple math...the Vikings won the division, the Packers got the Wildcard= The Vikings had a more successful SEASON. Your philosophical view of the post season has nothing to do with my point.

Now its your turn to say that the Packers lost to the Cards because they didnt have home field advantage.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still consider Packers a favorite team. Doesn't mean I need to blindly say pro Pack things at every turn. May as well belong to a cult at that point. It's just sports talk.

Are you sure you didn't stumble into the wrong forum? If you think folks here all kneel at the feet of TT, MM, the other coaches, and the players, you are really mistaken. For instance, check my name.

1940sfootball

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Now, now, be nice to the noob. He's only been here for one season. Let's see if he can make the infamous 2nd year jump. And Cap't he's got a long way to go to be an effective troll. 1940 should search for the Ram fan that was here last season or the one before. He was GOOD.
Best advice yet.

if you are older than me, Why is it still a thing for you to make fun of someone because they dont worship a football team like you do? I think I know it all because I look at both/all sides? objective viewpoints is trolling?
noob? Ive been on sports forums for 8 years. One is no different from the other.
lol its like you are threatened and better circle the wagons and mock someone purely because they didnt say something 100% pure pro-Packers. How childish is that?
the world needs more objectivity, not more cult members.
I am a Packers fan. It doesnt mean I have to act like a sheep about it.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
simple math...the Vikings won the division, the Packers got the Wildcard= The Vikings had a more successful SEASON. Your philosophical view of the post season has nothing to do with my point.

Now its your turn to say that the Packers lost to the Cards because they didnt have home field advantage.

I'm still trying to get my head around this, as are the other posters. Are you perhaps saying Viking had a more successful REGULAR season? If so, true. Irrelevant to the only goal that matters, the Super Bowl, but true.

If you include the playoffs as part of a team's season, like everybody else does, the Vikes losing their wildcard game and the Pack winning theirs would dictate that the Packers had a more successful SEASON.

D

Deleted member 6794

simple math...the Vikings won the division, the Packers got the Wildcard= The Vikings had a more successful SEASON.

Do you realize the NFL stopped crowning the best team during the regular season as the league's champion after the 1932 season and first introduced a championship game and later the playoffs to determine a champion???

As Half Empty perfectly explained the Vikings had a better regular season than the Packers in 2015 which is irrelevant though as Green Bay further advanced in the playoffs.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The purpose of playing the game is to win the SB and anything below is not exactly a 'success'. You can dilute your criteria definition to imply it is success of some kind...but it just doesn't cut it.

With a prime Rodgers and talented supporting cast we have currently, I'd consider anything below NFC Conference title under-achievement.

My definitions of a season ratings:

Total teams: 32

Bare minimum:

Make Playoff's: 12 teams (nearly 37%) -​

Standard expectations:
Division winners: 8 teams (25%)​

Success:
Conference winners: 2 teams (6.25%)​

Champion:
1 team (The Big Dog)​

I'm not sure you're implying that winning the NFC North is what defines a successful season
I meant Super Bowl :D

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
if you are older than me, Why is it still a thing for you to make fun of someone because they dont worship a football team like you do?
You missed the point. The comment wasn't football related. Maybe this will make it clearer (from a previous post you made):
I'm 51, I watch football for entertainment, not to worship one team. I call it like I see it and I enjoy being right.
I think I know it all because I look at both/all sides? objective viewpoints is trolling?
noob? Ive been on sports forums for 8 years. One is no different from the other.
We here like to think differently about this. I've been on various boards and forums for much longer and yes they are different. Each has its own culture and acceptance level. Moderators, rules, and anonymity influence the board and interactions of the posters.
lol its like you are threatened and better circle the wagons and mock someone purely because they didnt say something 100% pure pro-Packers. How childish is that?
the world needs more objectivity, not more cult members. .
Yep, if you are truly objective which no one ever is. There is always a bias or agenda or just different experiences that sway the views posted.
I am a Packers fan .It doesnt mean I have to act like a sheep about it.
Never said you did.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hadn't see this from '1940s football' and couldn't find it to quote it -
"I think I know it all because I look at both/all sides? objective viewpoints is trolling?
noob? Ive been on sports forums for 8 years. One is no different from the other."

If I had, the following from WIMM would have been precisely my response. If anyone wants links to other forums that COMPLETELY different, let me know.
"We here like to think differently about this. I've been on various boards and forums for much longer and yes they are different. Each has its own culture and acceptance level. Moderators, rules, and anonymity influence the board and interactions of the posters."

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course it's true based on numbers. The Vikings were ranked 5th last year and the Packers 12th overall. Plain and simple.
12th doesn't suck but it still will never be better than 5th obviously and what kept Green bay close in those stats o would imagine was Minn's one bad game vs Seattle.

So you're suggesting that ONE bad game vs. Seattle is the ONLY reason why GB and Minny were close in defensive stats? Yowza, it's worse than I thought with this one.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm also not entirely sure where you're getting these rankings from but I can assure you that I've given you factual information about how the defenses actually performed last year.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, at least I know one thing, the poll is about a dead even split between 13-3 and not here. And I'll bet you by the end of this year this closet Viking fan won't be anywhere to be found.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm also not entirely sure where you're getting these rankings from but I can assure you that I've given you factual information about how the defenses actually performed last year.

The Vikings finished fifth in points allowed last season while the Packers ended up in 12th.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings finished fifth in points allowed last season while the Packers ended up in 12th.

LOL, okay, never mind all the other stats then I guess that would suggest the Packers D was actually better than the Vikings last year. Ugh, the struggle is real.

p.s. I'm not directing this at you Capt.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well here we go! I'm all for a successful season but that doesn't guarantee you a successful PLAYOFFS. Though it does mean you will most likely get to the playoffs, therefore stressing its importance, it doesn't guarantee you anything beyond that. What teams go through during a season, resiliency, overcoming adversity, chemistry...these are things that develop during a season. If you have injuries you find out what you have stored away in your backups. I'm not in the least undermining the value and importance of a season or the importance of the number in the W column at the end of the season I'm stating no matter how successful of a season you have or don't have the playare a whole different animal.

Classic example is our Superbowl win. We got in as WC and won the championship having a season which a lot of Packers fans wrote the team off mid-season as not even going to make the playoffs let alone be successful. What was it 15 guys on IR? Our season wasn't great, we made the playoffs just barely. Now who walked off the field with the Lombardi trophy?

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well here we go! I'm all for a successful season but that doesn't guarantee you a successful PLAYOFFS. Though it does mean you will most likely get to the playoffs, therefore stressing its importance, it doesn't guarantee you anything beyond that. What teams go through during a season, resiliency, overcoming adversity, chemistry...these are things that develop during a season. If you have injuries you find out what you have stored away in your backups. I'm not in the least undermining the value and importance of a season or the importance of the number in the W column at the end of the season I'm stating no matter how successful of a season you have or don't have the playare a whole different animal.

Classic example is our Superbowl win. We got in as WC and won the championship having a season which a lot of Packers fans wrote the team off mid-season as not even going to make the playoffs let alone be successful. What was it 15 guys on IR? Our season wasn't great, we made the playoffs just barely. Now who walked off the field with the Lombardi trophy?

Very much so Kitten, very much so. And I don't think anyone here is putting all the stock in records, but I think many of us would love, come January to see the Halas Trophy hoisted up in Lambeau Field. Doing so would permanently eradicate the 2007 NFCCG, well maybe more so if it's the giants .... ahem midgets we beat this year in that game lol.

Members online

Latest posts