Wide Receiver Options

Reaction score
Probably lol
Heck you don’t even have to look far for conflict. It’s right here in our own forum! :roflmao:

Although if we didn’t have the guts to disparage the team and one another?
Who would have the ******! I can’t believe ****** is a bad word **** that ****** ****

I apologize it’s been a tough month to be a Packer fan :whistling:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I like fishing and deer hunting but you give MOST young multi multi multi millionaires (and their wives) a choice between Vegas and Green Bay? Jes sayin…

D

Deleted member 6794

What?? You really run with things...there are a ton of factors like Adams literally choosing to leave more money and a first ballot HOF QB....MVS getting crazy money from the Chiefs...Lazard being injured a ton....EQ never following through on the promise he had....Watson tons of injuries as a rookie....the Will Fuller deal never going through...

Just quick reasons NOT having to do with Rodgers.

You replied to a post which mentioned Rodgers as the reason Gutekunst isn't the one to blame for the team's shortcomings.

It’s not like we entered the year with money and cap space. Moves we’re not going to be easy to make. Also they’re wasn’t a lot available in the way of WRs available either.

While that's true the Packers' front office has neglected the wide receiver position for several years which results in a lack of talent at the position on this year's roster.

That issue didn't just arise during this year's offseason.

Plus I don't like putting a progress stopper in front of the rookies. That doesn't serve long term goals (and at 3-5, they need to think beyond this season).

Unfortunately the Packers have taken the approach to rather focus on the long term development of rookies at wide receiver who weren't all that talented to begin with instead of concentrating on improving the talent level of the players on the field for far too long.

That's why they find themselves completely lacking talent at the position.

I know you’d think that, but look at what Wideouts are getting paid recently. The value of Receivers is overinflated, but I doubt Lazard will take anything much less than 3X27M type $ or consider him signed elsewhere.

As mentioned before, I'm well aware it's possible that Lazard will get offered $10 million a season. I definitely don't want the Packers to pay him that kind of money though as in my opinion he's not good enough to justify it.

We either need to Pony up a draft pick for a veteran or start from scratch. Just Plan on #12 wanting out of this scenario.

I honestly don't believe Rodgers want to move on after this season.

Indeed. We are a team that simply is not as talented as experts thought we were. The Packers are not underachievers. They are just not as good relatively speaking as much of the NFL.

The defense is much more talented than their play on the field might indicate.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that's true the Packers' front office has neglected the wide receiver position for several years which results in a lack of talent at the position on this year's roster.

I know, this team has had lots of things to address year after year. I know how we're in this position. and using hindsight I almost wish they would have taken the past 3-4 years of WR's they've taken trying to address the position and put them all at OLine because that's what destroyed our prior to seasons in the money games and has played the biggest part of tanking this season.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I said it from the start that the Packers would not make a move for a WR before the trade deadline. I'm sticking to it. On top of it, it would not surprise me if the Packers unload a contract or two today.

Reaction score
I hope you’re right.
Either way we need to draft another WR. Spend a Day 2 selection now on a known quantity, but lose some Rookie term benefits (time) or spend a Day 2 selection next year and get 4 years of gamble
It’s not an easy choice and both do have good arguments. Are we in Win now or not? Get the Man a Weapon is my take
As mentioned before, I'm well aware it's possible that Lazard will get offered $10 million a season. I definitely don't want the Packers to pay him that kind of money though as in my opinion he's not good enough to justify it.
I somewhat agree, but we might not have a choice to part ways and go bare shelves. We also have more than 1/2 a season left and when he’s in there Lazard is basically splitting WR2/WR3. (2-, 3+ etc..). I’d like to practice prudence here and see how he looks over this next 8-9 contests (when available). We should have a better indicator of his true value by seasons end.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You replied to a post which mentioned Rodgers as the reason Gutekunst isn't the one to blame for the team's shortcomings.

Unfortunately the Packers have taken the approach to rather focus on the long term development of rookies at wide receiver who weren't all that talented to begin with instead of concentrating on improving the talent level of the players on the field for far too long.

The defense is much more talented than their play on the field might indicate.
You sound like the Bills coach. " They are a better team than their record indicates. " Come January if we finish 7-10 will we still be more talented than our play indicates?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You sound like the Bills coach. " They are a better team than their record indicates. " Come January if we finish 7-10 will we still be more talented than our play indicates?

Yes, this team is skilled to be a 9 win team worst case, health, execution together and arguably coaching is what is holding it back right now and in that order for me.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

They find themselves lacking talent at the position because they went a long time without investing high draft capital in it AND their top WR decided to request a trade because he decided not to tie his future to the uncertainty of Aaron Rodgers.

Now they have invested some draft capital in the position.

If they were to land a premium talent at WR, like a D.J. Moore (which won't happen, but hypothetically), then sure. But at 3-5, and not looking anything like a Super Bowl contender, I do not want to see them trade for a middling option and then play that guy ahead of the rookies. Allow the young players to develop as an investment in your future. If they blossom quickly and help you push for the playoffs this season, great.

At TE, they aren't in that position. Lewis is near retirement and plays a niche role. Deguara plays a niche role. Tonyan is in a contract year and isn't someone who demands to be part of the future. Adding a player at TE would help the passing game now without hindering any development for the long term.

It would also be cheaper in terms of draft capital and monetarily, in all likelihood.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2020 draft continues to plague the Packers. Not only has it done little to get the ream over the hump the past 2 playoffs, its really coming home to roost in the dearth of talent at WR. Throw in the failed 2015 draft and it shows that a GM can't whif at a draft and not pay dire consequences. Ultimately, I think the person who takes over a team president from Murphy will fire Gute due to the long-term hangover caused by that draft.

Reaction score
Yes, this team is skilled to be a 9 win team worst case, health, execution together and arguably coaching is what is holding it back right now and in that order for me.
I’m also pretty confident in saying that our SOS is going to be one of the tougher ones on the league.

Bills 24-31 436
Packers 37-25 .597
KC 25-28-1 .472
Cowboys 31-29 .517
Ravens 36-27 .571
Titans 25-25-2 .500
Vikings 25-29 .463
Seahawks 24-30 .444
Falcons 27-36 .429

Theres your the first glimpse at real-time Strength of Schedule SOS

D

Deleted member 6794

I know, this team has had lots of things to address year after year. I know how we're in this position. and using hindsight I almost wish they would have taken the past 3-4 years of WR's they've taken trying to address the position and put them all at OLine because that's what destroyed our prior to seasons in the money games and has played the biggest part of tanking this season.

In my opinion the Packers invested enough resources into the offensive line but had back luck with both Bakhtiari and Jenkins suffering severe injuries within less than a year. Gutekunst hasn't done addressed the wide receiver position properly at all though.

Are we in Win now or not?

The Packers should definitely be in a win now mode as long as Rodgers is around. But for some unknown reason Gutekunst hasn't gone all-in.

I somewhat agree, but we might not have a choice to part ways and go bare shelves.

I'm well aware that moving on from Lazard would even worsen the situation at wide receiver but I would prefer that scenario over significantly overpaying for him.

My point is that the players are more talented than the team's record indicates at this point. They haven't been able to perform up to potential based on terrible coaching, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

If they were to land a premium talent at WR, like a D.J. Moore (which won't happen, but hypothetically), then sure. But at 3-5, and not looking anything like a Super Bowl contender, I do not want to see them trade for a middling option and then play that guy ahead of the rookies. Allow the young players to develop as an investment in your future. If they blossom quickly and help you push for the playoffs this season, great.

I agree that there was no reason to add a wide receiver who doesn't present a huge upgrade over anyone currently on the roster to take away playing time from the rookies. I would have definitely been excited about Claypool getting snaps ahead of any of the receivers currently on the roster though. Oh well.

Fuller is also a signee they could do - I'm not opposed or really for either at this point, but could see the benefit and positive in either.

Unfortunately it might OBJ some more time to get back on the field.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion the Packers invested enough resources into the offensive line but had back luck with both Bakhtiari and Jenkins suffering severe injuries within less than a year. Gutekunst hasn't done addressed the wide receiver position properly at all though.

The Packers should definitely be in a win now mode as long as Rodgers is around. But for some unknown reason Gutekunst hasn't gone all-in.

My point is that the players are more talented than the team's record indicates at this point. They haven't been able to perform up to potential based on terrible coaching, especially on the defensive
Agree on OL. Provided Bahk and Jenkins can heal up and play LT and LG respectively again we will have Top 5 duo in those spots.

Myers is ok and you have Runyan/-Newman/Tom/Rhyan to fight for RG

Who plays RT though? FO never really found a replacement for Bulaga

Our D is underperforming due to coaching and it's starting to make headlines that players don't like the scheme and playcalling..

Our WR and TE group is terrible. A bunch of aging injury prone players and rookies LOL.

Tonyan (28) and Lazard (28) you should definitely NOT overpay. These aren't young guys trying to figure it out. I feel you kind of know what these guys are and can do

Doubs has shown promise, especially for being a 4th round pick. I would have really liked to pair him with Jeudy or Claypool

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree on OL. Provided Bahk and Jenkins can heal up and play LT and LG respectively again we will have Top 5 duo in those spots.

Myers is ok and you have Runyan/-Newman/Tom/Rhyan to fight for RG

Who plays RT though? FO never really found a replacement for Bulaga

Our D is underperforming due to coaching and it's starting to make headlines that players don't like the scheme and playcalling..

Our WR and TE group is terrible. A bunch of aging injury prone players and rookies LOL.

Tonyan (28) and Lazard (28) you should definitely NOT overpay. These aren't young guys trying to figure it out. I feel you kind of know what these guys are and can do

Doubs has shown promise, especially for being a 4th round pick. I would have really liked to pair him with Jeudy or Claypool
Agreed. In the off-season.

Cobb retirement whether he wants it or not.
Watkins don't resign.
Lazard only resign if he is cheep otherwise let him go.

Next year's starting lineupshould be.
Doubs
Watson
Free agent or draft acquisition
Toure possibly.
And few more draft/free agents.
We need to invest in 1 or 2 safeties.
Betwin 1-3 O-lineman
Possibly inside linebacker sadly.
Defensive coordinator
Defensive line coach
Linebacker coach
Defensive backs coach
Possibly O-line coach unless Stenovich will be heavily involved there.

All in all it's a mess. Pending the conclusion the rest of this season

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. In the off-season.

Cobb retirement whether he wants it or not.
Watkins don't resign.
Lazard only resign if he is cheep otherwise let him go.

Next year's starting lineupshould be.
Doubs
Watson
Free agent or draft acquisition
Toure possibly.
And few more draft/free agents.
We need to invest in 1 or 2 safeties.
Betwin 1-3 O-lineman
Possibly inside linebacker sadly.
Defensive coordinator
Defensive line coach
Linebacker coach
Defensive backs coach
Possibly O-line coach unless Stenovich will be heavily involved there.

All in all it's a mess. Pending the conclusion the rest of this season

The packers will have no cap room to sign a receiver of any consequence and you’re counting on nothing but 2nd year receivers in this scenario. I’m not necessarily disagreeing with this happening, again, lack of cap space means options are limited, but I’m going to guess they prioritize receiver in the draft as well (how many times has THAT been said).

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The packers will have no cap room to sign a receiver of any consequence and you’re counting on nothing but 2nd year receivers in this scenario. I’m not necessarily disagreeing with this happening, again, lack of cap space means options are limited, but I’m going to guess they prioritize receiver in the draft as well (how many times has THAT been said).
So what that tells us is the last year or two of Rodgers will be mediocrity. And if there is talent that matures it will happen with a new, young untested QB. More mediocrity. The sad reality is that our last window to win a SB was 2019-2021. Now it belongs to others.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what that tells us is the last year or two of Rodgers will be mediocrity. And if there is talent that matures it will happen with a new, young untested QB. More mediocrity. The sad reality is that our last window to win a SB was 2019-2021. Now it belongs to others.
Yup - and that was obvious. We could be going into the future with a bunch of lofty draft picks and significant cap space. Instead we have an old disinterested QB and a bunch of nothing. What a mismanaged mess. Adams saw this coming and took the off ramp.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's the choice Gute made when he went full rebuild in the 2020 draft, then changed his mind in 2021. One full rebuild plus one "all-in" averages out to m'eh.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the choice Gute made when he went full rebuild in the 2020 draft, then changed his mind in 2021. One full rebuild plus one "all-in" averages out to m'eh.

I don't think many in house saw Rodgers resurgence with all things considered...and to top that off that he wanted to stay in GB. Just from the outside looking in I was 50/50 at that time on both of those items if someone forced me to place a life or death bet I'd have been nervous either bet.