Wide Receiver Options

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If they go for a WR, I think it makes the most sense to get Claypool. He has the skillset similar to Watson's, and it seems that they have been hampered by missing it this season. So double dip and make sure you have that guy in the offense. Even as I say that, I am fully aware that it would be a disaster, as Claypool seems sort of like a knucklehead.

If they go for a TE, I want Foster Moreau. There is a lot of talent and untapped potential there.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
8 weeks in, here are the teams that are either under .500 or in last place (i.e. might sell), and who they have on their roster that they could potentially move:

Patriots:

-Jakobi Meyers, WR
-DeVante Parker, WR
-Kendrick Bournes, WR
-Nelson Agholor, WR
-Jonnu Smith, TE

Broncos:

-Jerry Jeudy, WR
-K.J. Hamler, WR
-Albert Okwuegbunam, TE

Raiders:

-Mack Hollins, WR
-Foster Moreau, TE

Browns:

-Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR

Steelers:

-Chase Claypool, WR

Jaguars:

-Evan Engram, TE
-Marvin Jones, WR

Commanders:

-Curtis Samuel, WR
-Logan Thomas, TE

Saints:

-Jarvis Landry, WR

Um...Davante Adams... :)

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Um...Davante Adams... :)

I know you're kidding, but I left out options that would cause the team trading the player to incur tons of dead money.

My #1 choice would actually be to acquire Foster Moreau from that same team.

He would not cost much, he is very good, tight ends emerge later than other positions, he's a great athlete, he's well-rounded.

Watson and Cobb returning plus the development of the young WR's could internally improve that position. Plus I don't like putting a progress stopper in front of the rookies. That doesn't serve long term goals (and at 3-5, they need to think beyond this season).

But there is nothing long-term at TE. In fact, if Moreau hit in GB, he could be the long-term plan.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeudy and AO from the Broncos would be a perfect deal....but the draft capital or player give up to make them both come back this way is too big.

Reaction score
The Packers shouldn't offer Lazard anywhere close to $10 million per season based on his play.
I know you’d think that, but look at what Wideouts are getting paid recently. The value of Receivers is overinflated, but I doubt Lazard will take anything much less than 3X27M type $ or consider him signed elsewhere.

That leaves a 33 year old Cobb, Doubs and Watson under contract.
We really can’t even be sure Cobb won’t want to retire, that’s a realistic possibility.

That potentially leaves 2 Sophomores as your WR room. 1 already has some early injury history concerns.

We either need to Pony up a draft pick for a veteran or start from scratch. Just Plan on #12 wanting out of this scenario.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I know you’d think that, but look at what Wideouts are getting paid recently. The value of Receivers is overinflated, but I doubt Lazard will take anything much less than 3X27M type $ or consider him signed elsewhere.

I would also advise you to look at how those contracts are working out.

You're right that the middle class guys who get paid get roughly that. But is it proving wise to pay those types?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okgwuebunam might just suck.

It is quite possible at this point. Buddy asked if the Broncos said give us a 2nd and Amari for Jeudy and AO would I do it....at this point honestly I think I might...but I don't have the internal intel or feel for what Rodgers is thinking into the future - if he is sticking here for next year I'm doing it. Imagine letting Rodgers get comfortable with Doubs, Watson and Jeudy and hit the ground running next year? Shoot and convince Watkins to sign vet minimum with incentives....

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding potential WRs, say this, in the 2020 NFL draft, I saw 2 guys that could both be potential perennial All Pro types with size, speed, athleticism, talent, ability, etc. They BOTH had the initials of JJ

Justin Jefferson- whom we wanted and is probably already Top 3 in the NFL

James Jeudy - he has some injury stuff, but I just see the talent/ability

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think any reasonable person that removes their emotional fan shaded glasses realizes this is not just a Gute issue.
Indeed. We are a team that simply is not as talented as experts thought we were. The Packers are not underachievers. They are just not as good relatively speaking as much of the NFL.

Reaction score
I would also advise you to look at how those contracts are working out.

You're right that the middle class guys who get paid get roughly that. But is it proving wise to pay those types?
Generally no. However depending on how Lazard does between now and next March you have to consider resigning him. He’s probably $7-8M in reality, but are you going to break continuity for $9-$10M annual.

Lazard, Doubs and Watson are your only contracted past this season. If we let Lazard go, we’ve got 2 Sophomore Wideouts and 1 already looks injury prone. Is #12 going to stay under those conditions? Idk that’s shaky ground

So just like anything else in life a commodity is Worth what someone will pay and you’d have to consider resigning Lazard is like going to get offers sniffing $9-10M (even if we both know he’s worth about ~$7.5M). He is a vested Packer and already entrenched in this Offense. He’s also a very good + blocker. Might possibly resign him out with a lower per 4X$34M-$20G

Last edited:

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poor Adams had one catch for 3 yards yesterday and his team is 2-6. Ya think he and Rodgers are sharing sympathies?
Sure. But, as I have said before on this forum, I 100% believe that Davante left for reasons outside of football. Some of those being:

1) No state income tax
2) Closer to family
3) Better weather and climate overall
4) Proximity to nice beaches and mountains
5) More endorsement and business opportunities due to LV being a larger market

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*Jerry Jeudy - for ALL of my posts, just an Fyi. My bad on the name mixup

I was just giving you a hard time in good fun. As I mentioned earlier somewhere - I think Jerry unfortunately would cost us more than is viable to do...but if they want to move him, he like Claypool would make a lot of sense.

Reaction score
Sure. But, as I have said before on this forum, I 100% believe that Davante left for reasons outside of football. Some of those being:

1) No state income tax
2) Closer to family
3) Better weather and climate overall
4) Proximity to nice beaches and mountains
5) More endorsement and business opportunities due to LV being a larger market
Farther from conflict. :p

Members online

Latest posts