Why does Rodgers only want to throw to Adams?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is literally the easiest topic I've ever read, anywhere. They keep throwing to Adams because he's a top-5 WR in the NFL and, on top of that, the roster features ZERO other receiving options that are even average NFL-players.

While I agree with you, you also have to realize that this would not be an effective offense if all Rodgers did was throw to Adams. So as they did against weaker defenses, they need to be as multi-facetted as they can be. Against really good defenses, I think they will always struggle until Rodgers is given more tools.

Where you and I both agree is that beyond Adams, he doesn't have much to work with in the way of TE's and WR's. I liken it to asking a Top mechanic to work on your car and tell him that you will supply the tools. When he arrives, you hand him a great socket set. Beyond that, you don't even have a lift, but you have a really cool multi-tool kit you got from Menards for $9.99.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you do when you play top defenses like we saw yesterday? The Packer offense just has a tough time against speed and power. I would contend that the Packers just don't have enough offensive weapons/speed to consistently beat a team with a defense like that. Our only real chance is if the other teams offense isn't very good (Bears). Then we will see a low scoring game, one that might be decided by turnovers, but not this death march that we see from teams like the 49'ers, Chargers and now the Bucs.

I know I post a lot about lack of weapons on offense, but I am equally disappointed with the Defense under Pettine. Granted, he might be short a player or 2 (DL and ILB) but I think he has done less with more.

Well hey, I've banged the drums on Gute's head plenty about picking better WRs in the drafts, and still haven't abandoned the idea. But if you watch the way the offense was being called, and I don't know if Rodgers changed too many plays or not - A rabbit hole I'm not going to go down - a lot of things were definitely not being called that had been called the previous few weeks.

Now there could be a number of reasons for this. There's a lot of LaFleur's offense based on elements of play action, fake end arounds and misdirections that perhaps maybe he decided to abandon because of the Bucs run defense. True enough that a disciplined defense might not fall for all of those. But I feel he could have done more than just drop Rodgers back with no quick outs to get the ball too when the rush was coming off of Wagner's side. I think we do have the players for that, although we may have lost a key one when Tyler Ervin got hurt.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I imagine that MLF watched lots of film on the Bucs and then put together the best possible offensive game plan that he could, given the players he has at his disposal. Maybe he knew Ervin wouldn't play, but I think his availability wasn't fully known until Sunday. Even still, we all know that you don't plan your offense around one player, especially Ervin. Bottom line, whatever MLF drew up it didn't seem to work after the first quarter. Whether that was due to poor execution by his players or changes made my Todd Bowles or a combo of the 2, there was a definite change in what the Packers offense could do and it seemed that MLF and the Packers had no answers after that. Rodgers definitely got rattled and I don't think that helped either.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well hey, I've banged the drums on Gute's head plenty about picking better WRs in the drafts, and still haven't abandoned the idea. But if you watch the way the offense was being called, and I don't know if Rodgers changed too many plays or not - A rabbit hole I'm not going to go down - a lot of things were definitely not being called that had been called the previous few weeks.

Now there could be a number of reasons for this. There's a lot of LaFleur's offense based on elements of play action, fake end arounds and misdirections that perhaps maybe he decided to abandon because of the Bucs run defense. True enough that a disciplined defense might not fall for all of those. But I feel he could have done more than just drop Rodgers back with no quick outs to get the ball too when the rush was coming off of Wagner's side. I think we do have the players for that, although we may have lost a key one when Tyler Ervin got hurt.
I think you’ll get your wish next year. Adams contract expires after the 2021 season so it would stand to reason that they’ll be looking for his potential replacement in the next draft.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has keyed in on his WR1 for some time now. He did the same with Jordy for a while, then Adams emerged. He's probably hoping that one of the backups emerges like Lazard had.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think you’ll get your wish next year. Adams contract expires after the 2021 season so it would stand to reason that they’ll be looking for his potential replacement in the next draft.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I will believe it when I see it. They didn't replace Jordy, then they didn't replace Cobb, why replace Adams? Have to wonder if the Packers had just had an average QB all these years if somehow that priority wouldn't have been moved up a few notches?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I will believe it when I see it. They didn't replace Jordy, then they didn't replace Cobb, why replace Adams? Have to wonder if the Packers had just had an average QB all these years if somehow that priority wouldn't have been moved up a few notches?
Dillon was drafted imo to replace either Jones or Williams because of their expiring contracts this year. I expect to see a CB drafted in the first 3 rounds in 21 because Alexander’s contract expires at end of next season. Also, besides Adams, Contracts for St. Brown and Scantling are expiring. Wouldn’t be surprised if they draft at least 2 WR’s in next draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

it is interesting that wo Adams the Pack seem to be able to win? I cant recall last year but this year they were moving and scoring at ease.

I think there is something to it because it is a pattern and not a radom event

The pattern being that the Packers have faced five terrible pass defenses in the six games Adams has missed over the past two seasons. The only time they faced a good unit against Kansas City they had the benefit of facing them with their starting quarterback out for the game.

Hopefully MLF recognizes this now. Not in the sense that "the Packers do not need Adams" but in the sense that you can game plan to "make someone else 'the guy' while Adams is in the game." Once Adams went down, Lazard had a game, then Big Bob had a game. If they would have gone into that game saying IDK Jamal Williams or Jace Sternberger was going to be "the guy" it does not force Rodgers to choose between throwing to EQ and Adams. Let a new guy have their day each week and don't force balls to Adams because EQ cannot catch and MVS is one dimensional.

I don't think it makes any sense to force the offense to run through a less talented player.

I'm absolutely convinced the Packers will re-sign Adams.

Rodgers has keyed in on his WR1 for some time now. He did the same with Jordy for a while, then Adams emerged. He's probably hoping that one of the backups emerges like Lazard had.

It seems like you forget about Rodgers targeting Cobb a significant amount of time with Nelson in the lineup for several years.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The pattern being that the Packers have faced five terrible pass defenses in the six games Adams has missed over the past two seasons. The only time they faced a good unit against Kansas City they had the benefit of facing them with their starting quarterback out for the game.

I don't think it makes any sense to force the offense to run through a less talented player.

I'm absolutely convinced the Packers will re-sign Adams.

It seems like you forget about Rodgers targeting Cobb a significant amount of time with Nelson in the lineup for several years.
If they can come to a contract agreement. That could become much more difficult in the current financial environment.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it is interesting that wo Adams the Pack seem to be able to win? I cant recall last year but this year they were moving and scoring at ease.

I think there is something to it because it is a pattern and not a radom event

I think a lot of it is because we were up against one of the top defenses in the league.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, the way we looked I firmly believe you could have given us OBJ and Julio Jones out there with Adams and we still lose. Yes, we looked that rough on Offense after the first two drives.

Agreed. And AR was getting hammered after almost every pass even in the first quarter. If your OL is getting mauled it is hard to run your offense.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the way we looked I firmly believe you could have given us OBJ and Julio Jones out there with Adams and we still lose.

Might have still lost, but it would have a lot closer. The Tampa D would have to roll coverage to the other good WR and this would take away the guy filling a passing lane to MVS or Lewis which get a first to keep a drive alive. And a big Julio-type makes a tough short catch (as he did against GB) while a quick OBJ-type uses a double move on too tight coverage. A strong #2 loosens a secondary.

Either way, this is the on-field evidence that a decent WR should have been drafted a few months ago. Added to the failure of coaches to make in-game adjustments in Tampa, the GM has a hand in this loss.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I place a lot of the loss yesterday at the feet of MLF and Rodgers. The unraveling after the first interception was apparent heavy in both their jobs after it. Failing grades each.

That said, this team IMO is still better than last year's 13-3 team, even if the record ends up not showing it (I predicted 12-4). Autrocious games deserve scrutiny for a time and then moving on.
Well they certainly would've wiped 14 points off the board for TB, considering the two picks. So who knows. It's unlikely though.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has stated in recent years he wants to give the ball to Adams as much as possible, even as he was getting a large % of targets at that time (I think this was said in 2018). It's possible the offense is more predictable with him in the lineup, but I feel like the loss of Tyler Ervin was real big Sunday.

MLF has been almost flawless the first 4 weeks, but definitely wanted to see him run between the tackles more with Vita Vea out and their linebackers strength is their speed. I hope if we see these guys again AJ Dillon or even Jones/Williams are running between the tackles more. JPP's strength isn't run stopping either.

D

Deleted member 6794

If they can come to a contract agreement. That could become much more difficult in the current financial environment.

Isn't that true for every player set to become a free agent???

Adams is still under contract for next season. The financial situation should be improved for 2022 again.

It would be a terrible mistake to let one of the best wide receivers in the game walk away based on being able to beat inferior competition without him.

Might have still lost, but it would have a lot closer. The Tampa D would have to roll coverage to the other good WR and this would take away the guy filling a passing lane to MVS or Lewis which get a first to keep a drive alive.

Either way, this is the on-field evidence that a decent WR should have been drafted a few months ago.

I was definitely in favor of drafting a wide receiver early in this year's draft but neither Jones or a rookie would have made a difference in this game as Rodgers didn't have any time to throw it accurately.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was definitely in favor of drafting a wide receiver early in this year's draft but neither Jones or a rookie would have made a difference in this game as Rodgers didn't have any time to throw it accurately.

While I understand your statement, I don't think we know that for sure, nor should it be an excuse to only focus on fixing the OL, which prior to Sunday, did not seem broken in the least bit. A series of events happened in that game and each one seemed to push that snowball just a bit faster down the hill, until it was a total runaway train. Possibly better receiving targets for Rodgers alters the way the Bucs defense is lining up against the Packers and those interceptions don't happen. We will never know.

It will be interesting to see how the Texans defense, a defense that has been pretty much a sieve all year holds up against the Packers offense. I do believe that the Packers 4-0 record was against some weaker defenses than we saw against the Bucs, but I think it will also help opposing DC's to have 5 games of film to watch MLF's offense and prepare for it. Let's hope Pettine can do the same to stop Watson.

D

Deleted member 6794

It most certainly is. It is a really unfortunate time to have an expiring contract.

Adams is still under contract for another season after this one though. The Packers could save some decent cap space for 2021 by extending him next offseason.

While I understand your statement, I don't think we know that for sure, nor should it be an excuse to only focus on fixing the OL, which prior to Sunday, did not seem broken in the least bit.

I do believe that the Packers 4-0 record was against some weaker defenses than we saw against the Bucs, but I think it will also help opposing DC's to have 5 games of film to watch MLF's offense and prepare for it.

I agree that the Packers should definitely focus on improving the receiving corps.

It seems to be true that the offense looked better than it actually is during the first four games based on facing terrible defenses.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Those dudes are all really good its hard to find another one TT really had a knack for the 2nd round wr...but I don't understand why they stopped trying to draft em after adams. They had a nice pipeline going and then they shut it off not a good plan

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A ton of info here on this subject...
Way to much to post I suggest to read it

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/is-th...-off-without-davante-a-look-into-the-data-430

They nailed it!

I think it only appears we are better without because it forces Rodgers to do precisely what makes him one of the best QBs ever - spread it around and don't force it. He is a stinking magician when he does that. Sadly, when Adams is laced up, even if it is just in his subconcious I think the thought of we gotta get him the ball at times overrides sound judgement.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Those dudes are all really good its hard to find another one TT really had a knack for the 2nd round wr...but I don't understand why they stopped trying to draft em after adams. They had a nice pipeline going and then they shut it off not a good plan

Yup. At least in the case of the Packers, it seems over the last 20 or so years, you get what you pay for when it comes to WR or should I say, what you invest in draft capital. I am comfortable to say that that the only real successful Packer WR's during that time were drafted in the 1st or 2nd round, with James Jones being probably the latest drafted (3rd round) that actually turned into a good WR.

TT was so busy trying to fix the defense and he had stockpiled a nice long succession of quality WR's, he may have blinked and didn't realize that stockpile was getting low. However, as of today, I would point the finger at Gute and say that WR is a position he has almost totally whiffed on since becoming the GM.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it only appears we are better without because it forces Rodgers to do precisely what makes him one of the best QBs ever - spread it around and don't force it.

I don't believe there's a point to made that Rodgers forces the ball to Adams. Over the first two games in which the receiver played for the entire game this season he was targeted on 20.5% of the plays on offense.

In addition let's take a look at the best offenses in league history.

Those teams featured pass catchers that were targeted 142 (Demariyus Thomas, 2013 Broncos), 160 (Randy Moss, '07 Patriots) and 150 (Travis Kelce, '18 Chiefs).

The huge difference being that all of those units had at least another receiver that was an excellent player, resulting in being targeted over 100 times as well.

2013 Bronocs - Eric Decker 136, Wes Welker 111
2007 Patriots - Wes Welker 145
2018 Chiefs - Tyreek Hill 137

The conclusion in my opinion isn't that Rodgers is targeting Adams too often but the Packers completely lack that second target to be successful against good defenses.

Last edited by a moderator:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe there's a point to made that Rodgers forces the ball to Adams. Over the first two games in which the receiver played for the entire game this season he was targeted on 20.5% of the plays on offense.

In addition let's take a look at the best offenses in league history.

Those teams featured pass catchers that were targeted 142 (Demariyus Thomas, 2013 Broncos), 160 (Randy Moss, '07 Patriots) and 150 (Travis Kelce, '18 Chiefs).

The huge difference being that all of those units had at least another receiver that was an excellent player, resulting in being targeted over 100 times as well.

2013 Bronocs - Eric Decker 136, Wes Welker 111
2007 Patriots - Wes Welker 145
2018 Chiefs - Tyreek Hill 137

The conclusion in my opinion is that Rodgers is targeting Adams too often but the Packers completely lack that second target to be successful against good defenses.

I've said it before and I'll stress it again. To me I could care less how many times he tries to get it to Adams, the issue is when he has that terrible Cutler tunnel vision for him. It is a thing of beauty when he doesn't force it to Adams.

Latest posts