Rodgers wants fans to "invest" in his online sports database

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There’s a sucker born every minute. And Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers is searching for more than a few of them.

Via Chris Smith of Sports Business Journal, the online sports information platform founded by Rodgers will launch a crowdfunding campaign aimed at raising $1.235 million.

The other founder of Online Sports Database explained that the effort to pass the hat for free money was inspired by the Packers’ habit of generating revenue via the sale of stock that isn’t really stock.

“One thing that struck us . . . was the loyalty the fans had in the community, the passion they had for the team, because a lot of them were owners,” co-founder and CEO Ryan Rottman told Smith. “We were all so taken aback by how much that actually built the community around the team, and doing this bridge [round] was something we wanted to use to create within OSDB a community of likeminded sports fans.”

But these people apparently wouldn’t be owners; they’d be donors. They’d be just giving their money to a still-new platform that not many know anything about. What is there to be loyal about? Unless the hope is that Aaron Rodgers fans will blindly give their money to him and then, once they have, they’ll feel compelled to use the service in order to justify the money that they paid.

Meanwhile, Rodgers has the ability to pump $1.235 million into the effort he co-founded with roughly the effort of mustering a snot rocket. (He’s due to make more than $100 million from the Jets over the next two seasons.)

Frankly, crowdfunding shouldn’t be something that people with funds utilize. The GoFundMe approach is for people who would otherwise go without funds.

Rodgers has the money to pay for his own damn business venture. And anyone who considers giving money for nothing to OSDB should consider politely telling Rodgers and Rottman to ****.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just smart business to spread the risk when raising capital.
It's PFT, so it's a definite no clicky of linky for me, but it's not exactly earth shattering that people with money are raising money for a new venture using other people's money. Most poor people don't get it. They're too busy borrowing other people's money so they can buy stuff they want rather than using other people's money to make more money and then think those people who use it to make money are bad. But buying new TV's and cars good.

OP
OP
P

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just smart business to spread the risk when raising capital.
There's a difference between raising capital and asking for donations. When you raise capital, the people who are giving you money are making an investment into your venture. If your venture does well, those people will make a profit.

Rodgers is not raising capital, he's just asking for donations. Anyone donating money to this online sports database will not make a profit if it does well, so it is not an investment as he is calling it.

OP
OP
P

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's PFT, so it's a definite no clicky of linky for me, but it's not exactly earth shattering that people with money are raising money for a new venture using other people's money. Most poor people don't get it. They're too busy borrowing other people's money so they can buy stuff they want rather than using other people's money to make more money and then think those people who use it to make money are bad. But buying new TV's and cars good.
You don't need to click the link. I quoted the whole article.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't need to click the link. I quoted the whole article.
that's it? that's just your typical PFT use of Aaron Rodgers' name to drive clicks and revenue to themselves while selling a **** story.

As far as I can tell when you invest in start ups with Start Engine you are an actual investor (owner) with the rights to profits should they be realized. It's not a "donation" as PFT puts it. That's just their spin, again, to put Rodgers in a bad light because Florio got his feelings hurt at some point. They're simply saying that because it's a start up without profits at the moment. Amazon was a start up at one point too.

It's just your typical PFT hit piece again...

Because I took the time to look, which is too difficult for a PFT "journalist". Too busy writing stuff to trigger emotions in people about people to give actual information.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Florio really gets his knickers in a knot with the Packer's stock.

A Packer fan must have taken his candy from him when he was 2 or something.

OP
OP
P

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's it? that's just your typical PFT use of Aaron Rodgers' name to drive clicks and revenue to themselves while selling a **** story.

As far as I can tell when you invest in start ups with Start Engine you are an actual investor (owner) with the rights to profits should they be realized. It's not a "donation" as PFT puts it. That's just their spin, again, to put Rodgers in a bad light because Florio got his feelings hurt at some point. They're simply saying that because it's a start up without profits at the moment. Amazon was a start up at one point too.

It's just your typical PFT hit piece again...

Because I took the time to look, which is too difficult for a PFT "journalist". Too busy writing stuff to trigger emotions in people about people to give actual information.
Thank you for that, I stand corrected.

Rodgers and his partner definitely made things confusing by comparing this OSDB investment to the Packers' sale of stock, though. Shares in the Packers are definitely not an investment.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you for that, I stand corrected.

Rodgers and his partner definitely made things confusing by comparing this OSDB investment to the Packers' sale of stock, though. Shares in the Packers are definitely not an investment.
Yeah, Packer stock is just a donation for a piece of paper to hang on the wall. I bought one last offering just so we could cheese it up at gatherings and remind people we're owners LOL

But i blame most of the confusion on shoddy journalism again. without the "journalists" leading people to believe it's an actual donation built on "loyalty" from a partial quote I think people would come away with a more clear understanding of what they meant when they said that. PFT was very loose with their "journalistic" interpretation.

Fans love their teams, fans like to put their money behind what they love so they opened up half the start up capital for fans to become investors. But they are investors with options of cashing in if it goes well. I guess it depends on how much you believe in the start up. But PFT clearly did not want readers to come away with that impression because that would be acceptable.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"There's a sucker born every minute. And Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers is looking for more than a few of them."
What a strange way to begin an article (not that I'm disagreeing with it). Then it goes on to say it was inspired by the sale of Packers stock, lol. Good timing, since I just filled out my shareholder voting.

Another case of there not being any news stories anymore, just opinion pieces.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
"There's a sucker born every minute. And Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers is looking for more than a few of them."
From what I have read, I would agree 100% with that statement. Rodgers has his hat out and looking to crowdfund his new online business. Those who contribute to, will receive nothing in return. Unless you consider a return of "hey, I donated to Aaron's new business', wanted to help the poor guy out.", as something you need to feel good about yourself.

I'm all for crowdfunding and gofundme's, when it comes to charities and people/organizations that actually do something good with the donations. However, anyone donating to a guy with as deep of pockets as A-Rod has, is just another example of things wrong with this country, priorities.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except that’s not how it is at all. It’s a start up. You might get nothing if they fail, or you might make it huge if it reaches their estimates. IT might be something in between. It's not for me, but then I don't need to invest and give them my money either.

But, you get stocks, you get voting rights, if they make it, you make it. Like any other investment in a company. if you invest in this company you WILL own part of that company. Just like any other investment. They are literally selling you a piece of the business for some start up funds. Like thousands of other companies have done. You will own common stock. That is the reality.

There’s a larger problem in this country and there are examples of it in this thread. Too many confuse the conditioning by the media they consume with regularity, with knowledge. It's not a gofundme endeavor. Not even a little bit. Those were words planted in the minds of readers willing to just consume what they were being fed. A "journalist" who probably has a competing interest with the proposed start up wrote it that way so if they can shoot it down early, better for them. And they get a reliable base of consumers to eat it up and click away.

This is proposed to be the one stop shop for all things athletes. No more visiting 3 different sites for salary cap data, or current contract data or past, or stats, game stats, logs, season stats, biometrics verified by the athletes, etc. It might work if they do it right.

They have 4M raised already. They are opening fan investment up to a value capped at 1.23M. Probably so majority investors keep enough of the company and voting power and someone can't come in and take it all over. From what I can see they don't even need to hit cap at outside fan investment to fund or move the company forward. They've hit their minimum of 15K, so as you can see, fan investment is not necessary and hardly Aaron Rodgers holding out his hat and begging.

Painting it as such shows just how much people will lie and skew to make the reader feel and react a certain way. It has no basis in reality.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess someday we will find out which one of you is right. I mean on this issue, not the one we can't ............................

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess someday we will find out which one of you is right. I mean on this issue, not the one we can't ............................
Want to be the 1st? Do it again

actually

see you next week. The draft pick debate stops now

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

From what I have read, I would agree 100% with that statement. Rodgers has his hat out and looking to crowdfund his new online business. Those who contribute to, will receive nothing in return. Unless you consider a return of "hey, I donated to Aaron's new business', wanted to help the poor guy out.", as something you need to feel good about yourself.

I'm all for crowdfunding and gofundme's, when it comes to charities and people/organizations that actually do something good with the donations. However, anyone donating to a guy with as deep of pockets as A-Rod has, is just another example of things wrong with this country, priorities.

You would know that there's no truth to what you just said if you wouldn't have the poster who clarified it on ignore.

Wait a moment, you won't be able to read that as you have me on ignore as well.

Never mind :roflmao:

MadScientist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given that sports information on the internet is about as plentiful as cat pictures and ****, what would be the point of this new startup?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given that sports information on the internet is about as plentiful as cat pictures and ****, what would be the point of this new startup?
from what I read, it's a 1 stop shop, or supposed to be. Personally, I don't care a whole lot about sports except for the sport, the competition. I'm not the stat guy for this guy in temps of this with game situations of that etc. a site like this wouldn't interest me.

But retailers all had online sites. I could buy anything I wanted online and along came amazon. So maybe?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a difference between raising capital and asking for donations. When you raise capital, the people who are giving you money are making an investment into your venture. If your venture does well, those people will make a profit.

Rodgers is not raising capital, he's just asking for donations. Anyone donating money to this online sports database will not make a profit if it does well, so it is not an investment as he is calling it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More proof people will believe whatever they want to despite all the information they need to arrive at a much different conclusion being set right in front of their eyes. But then they wouldn't have another reason to hate on someone.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Except that’s not how it is at all. It’s a start up. You might get nothing if they fail, or you might make it huge if it reaches their estimates. IT might be something in between. It's not for me, but then I don't need to invest and give them my money either.

But, you get stocks, you get voting rights, if they make it, you make it. Like any other investment in a company. if you invest in this company you WILL own part of that company. Just like any other investment. They are literally selling you a piece of the business for some start up funds. Like thousands of other companies have done. You will own common stock. That is the reality.

There’s a larger problem in this country and there are examples of it in this thread. Too many confuse the conditioning by the media they consume with regularity, with knowledge. It's not a gofundme endeavor. Not even a little bit. Those were words planted in the minds of readers willing to just consume what they were being fed. A "journalist" who probably has a competing interest with the proposed start up wrote it that way so if they can shoot it down early, better for them. And they get a reliable base of consumers to eat it up and click away.

This is proposed to be the one stop shop for all things athletes. No more visiting 3 different sites for salary cap data, or current contract data or past, or stats, game stats, logs, season stats, biometrics verified by the athletes, etc. It might work if they do it right.

They have 4M raised already. They are opening fan investment up to a value capped at 1.23M. Probably so majority investors keep enough of the company and voting power and someone can't come in and take it all over. From what I can see they don't even need to hit cap at outside fan investment to fund or move the company forward. They've hit their minimum of 15K, so as you can see, fan investment is not necessary and hardly Aaron Rodgers holding out his hat and begging.

Painting it as such shows just how much people will lie and skew to make the reader feel and react a certain way. It has no basis in reality.
Where is the figures about prospective gain on your investment

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We’ll mine is zero because I didn’t invest. But had I, it would depend on how many shares I had initially purchased and if their value increases or not when I decided to cash out. Like any investment when you purchase a share of the ownership.

If you’d like to know more, head right to the link and you can read all about it. Decide if it’s right for your not, but this notion that it’s a go fund me is baloney and despite it being linked and explained otherwise people still want to believe the shoddy “journalist” again.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We’ll mine is zero because I didn’t invest. But had I, it would depend on how many shares I had initially purchased and if their value increases or not when I decided to cash out. Like any investment when you purchase a share of the ownership.

If you’d like to know more, head right to the link and you can read all about it. Decide if it’s right for your not, but this notion that it’s a go fund me is baloney and despite it being linked and explained otherwise people still want to believe the shoddy “journalist” again.
Its crowd funding

Starting Tuesday, anyone can buy into OSDB with a minimum $500 investment through StartEngine, a crowdfunding site launched by Activision co-founder Howard Marks and advised by Shark Tank‘s Kevin O’Leary.

Nothing I see says what return is.

Thats what I asked you

Not what you expected but what where their expectations

Members online

Latest posts