Who should be the New DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Word is that Nagy would like Fangio to stay on as Bears DC.

I'm sure he would, but does Fangio want to stay there?

Keeping Capers forever and ever frustrated fans, but demonstrating a commitment to continuity like that does make the job more attractive. The Bears are not nearly as stable.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I think one thing that is going to help our team be attractive to possible DCs is that we don't tend to fire easily.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Bengals sign Lions DC Teryl Austin to become their new DC. I'm fine with the Packers not signing Austin. Detroit’s defenses under Austin weren’t not as good after his first season, ranking second, 18th, 18th and 27th in yards allowed from 2014-17

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Also, there is a major downside to having him as our DC. Every year his name is in the HC conversation. It might be a thing where we only keep him a year or two if we sign him.

Yes, but that also means he is doing good a great job. I would much rather have that problem than have a guy that nobody else is interested in. I doubt Capers phone has even rung once in the past 6 or so years, asking if he wanted to upgrade jobs.

Look at how many guys came out of Green Bay during Wolf's time. It was like Green Bay was the hot bed for training future NFL prodigies.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I didn't realize this until just now, but I guess Pettine spent 2017 as a defensive consultant with the Seahawks.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would he want to stay on a team where he must feel passed-over for the HC job? He and MM are good friends. Advantage=Packers.

That said, I'm betting by Thursday he will become the Bengals HC.

Also, there is a major downside to having him as our DC. Every year his name is in the HC conversation. It might be a thing where we only keep him a year or two if we sign him.

What are they going to do with Marvin Lewis' shiny new 2-year contract?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
??????????????????????????

So they give a guy an extension only to fire him the next week?

Never mind. Last I saw they were rumored to be firing him and when I saw they wanted to interview Fangio I assumed it was for HC. I don't follow other teams, especially AFC teams that close.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably best not to comment on them, then, without a tiny bit of research.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably best not to comment on them, then, without a tiny bit of research.
People make mistakes...

He prob saw the same report we all did and it was Lewis to be fired or part ways..

Then season is over for Packers. Believe it or not, some people turn away from the NFL once their team is out.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I looked around for info on Pettine (bing, etc.) and got bupkus.
Anybody have any info on the guy?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My bad on Chilly, I've just never seen him without a bad defense.

I'm watching the National Championship right now, Mel Tucker comes from the Saban tree of defense, runs a 3-4, has a ton of great NFL experience, and is a DB Coach by trade. I'd talk to him right after UGA wins it all.

If we would have fired Capers when we should have, we could have had Kirby Smart!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My bad on Chilly, I've just never seen him without a bad defense.

I'm watching the National Championship right now, Mel Tucker comes from the Saban tree of defense, runs a 3-4, has a ton of great NFL experience, and is a DB Coach by trade. I'd talk to him right after UGA wins it all.

If we would have fired Capers when we should have, we could have had Kirby Smart!

Why would Smart have done that? He gets paid almost double what Capers was getting here.

College coaches get paid really good money.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kirby Smart only made $1.5M in his last year at Alabama, Capers was making something to the tune of $4M I believe, which is approx what Smart makes right now as the HC at UGA.

You were saying?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Kirby Smart only made $1.5M in his last year at Alabama, Capers was making something to the tune of $4M I believe, which is approx what Smart makes right now as the HC at UGA.

You were saying?

Where did you find $4M? Everything I have seen has him around $2M

I will say, finding how much non-players earn in the NFL isn't easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts