Who should be the New DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers has a base salary of $2.6M but with bonuses, etc he earned I believe about $3.3M this year. Smart has the advantage as his bonuses would push him to probably $5M for this season alone. But base salary wise I believe they are only about $350k apart.

But the point I was trying to make is that had we signed Smart when he was on the rise at Bama, when he was making barely over $1M, we might be doing pretty well right now. Granted the HC of
UGA money will ultimately be more, he has a lot of responsibility on his shoulders for the compensation. He could've made similar money, while doing alot less.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Capers earned $.7M in bonuses? For what, minutes on his *** in the pressbox? Just out of curiosity, where did you find that? I can't tell you how many times I have tried to look up non-player salaries and find bupkis.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
Mike Pettine vs Vic Fangio...who would you rather?

Fangio....and it's not even close. Pettine is a complete bonehead. They better ROLL out the red carpet to Fangio and offer him the world when he gets interviewed. He's by far the best candidate for us and this defense right now.

If they hire Fangio, that will round out a HOME RUN for this organization in terms of front office/coaching staff transactions this offseason. The cherry on top would be Wolf staying on board as BG's right hand man and top executive....but I'm not expecting it.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question: How many teams are still looking for DCs? Several got hired in the last 48 hours. Is Fangio scheduled for any more HC interviews that anyone knows of? The more these DC jobs dry up, the more optimistic I am about VF teaming up with MM. You would think he would have to be at least a little miffed at the Bears passing him over. Who is our primary competition for his services other than the Bears?

D

Deleted member 6794

Bengals sign Lions DC Teryl Austin to become their new DC. I'm fine with the Packers not signing Austin. Detroit’s defenses under Austin weren’t not as good after his first season, ranking second, 18th, 18th and 27th in yards allowed from 2014-17

The Packers wanted to interview Austin about their vacncy at defensive coordinator but the Lions blocked the request.

We are interviewing Mike Pettine tomorrow.

Pettine had success as defensive coordinator early during his tenure with the Jets as well fielded a decent defense in his first season as head coach of the Browns.

Mike Pettine vs Vic Fangio...who would you rather?

I think that's a tough question to answer. It seems a lot of fans solely remember Fangio having coordinated successful defenses while working under Harbaugh at San Francisco. Overall his units struggled quite often as well though.

It should also be considered that he was the defensive coordinator under Capers for all eight season the former Packers' DC was a head coach in this league and therefore might run pretty similar scheme.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It should also be considered that he was the defensive coordinator under Capers for all eight season the former Packers' DC was a head coach in this league and therefore might run pretty similar scheme.
He's also taken the Bears defense from rock bottom to top 10 in 3 seasons.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's true the Bears defense was pretty good this season but finished in 20th and 24th in points allowed during Fangio's first two years with the team.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
Elaborate?

Yes I will certainly elaborate JUST for you...

http://thebiglead.com/2014/06/19/mi...shared-the-jets-playbook-with-bill-belichick/

He's a total $hit stir...everywhere he's been, he's created problems and made enemies. He got way too much credit for Rex Ryan's defense in NY and played the same $hit stir games in Cleveland where he laid blamed on everyone else and made enemies along the way. There's a reason he hasn't been given a job in THREE years in this league. Overrated as a DC using Rex's scheme and fell flat on his face in Clevelamd while making enemies at every stop. I'll pass on Pettine thanks.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine's record as a HC in Cleveland, over two seasons was 10-22.

Over the last two seasons, Cleveland has been 1-31.

Maybe Pettine is a genius........:roflmao:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Rapoport:

While the Bears would like to keep DC Vic Fangio - and new coach Matt Nagy has made moves to do so - the Packers loom and hope to set an interview. He is considered Green Bay's top choice. NFC North battle.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's a tough question to answer. It seems a lot of fans solely remember Fangio having coordinated successful defenses while working under Harbaugh at San Francisco. Overall his units struggled quite often as well though.

Ted Thompson came from Ron Wolf, so they do things the same, right?

Fortunately, we have tape on Fangio's defense. There are similar aspects, and there are different aspects. Put really, really simply...Fangio runs a simple, more aggressive defense than Capers. Capers was exotic, Fangio is not. If you watch the film of it, it's pretty basic stuff for the most part. Watch what he's done on tape. It'll help you out.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
McCarthy is coaching for his job. It's unlikely he will hire a DC that brings a big schematic shift. He doesn't have time for the transition.

As for his work outside of SF, Fangio's defenses were 13th, 24th, and 9th in scoring defenses in his three years in Chicago. Those results won't and shouldn't blow anyone away on their own, but the talent level that he was working with left a lot to be desired. The Packers have had better personnel and worse results. A great coordinator gets more out of a unit than the sum of its parts, and Fangio does that in my opinion.

Capers had plenty to work with and routinely underperformed. If you need a perfect situation to coordinate a good defense, you're not cut out for the job any more.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention, he really doesn't have a lot of talent or a powerful offense to help him much.

I'm hoping for Fangio, but it's tough to know from a fan perspective. I want a DC who can work with our current roster and doesn't have a system that will require specific player types. We need someone who is a little system flexible. We can't afford a 3 year defensive roster rebuild.

Additionally, we have to go outside the organization. We need to break completely from the old defensive regime.

We also need to do this in the next few days. Quality assistants will be snapped up quickly.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
As objectively as I can look at it, the only place on defense where I think the Bears were better than us in terms of personnel was corner. I think the Packers were as good or better at every other position group.

He had players like Sam Acho and Christian Jones playing 60% of his defensive snaps and still turned in a top 10 unit last year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not really any new news, but hearing Fangio is the Packers 'top choice" made me smile :)

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 1h1 hour ago
While the #Bears would like to keep DC Vic Fangio — and new coach Matt Nagy has made moves to do so — the #Packers loom and hope to set an interview. He is considered Green Bay's top choice. NFC North battle.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That the Bears couldn't re-sign Fangio yesterday, before he became a free agent, is a good sign.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At Anduzzis by the stadium. Fangio, Murphy, Gutekunst, and McCarthy doing shots together at the other end of the bar. Lots of laughing and smiles. This is a good sign.

Okay, I just made that up. Sorry.

If I was a gambling man, i'd bet we will hear Fangio signing within 32 hours.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
If Fangio is the top choice as has been reported from numerous sources, I expect an announcement tomorrow. The Pack have been moving VERY fast in their personnel decisions lately (which is good to get a quicker start on the offseason player and scheme plans).

I think it's gonna come down to Fangio and Perry and the decision will be made tomorrow to name Fangio the new DC. I just have a feeling BG, McCarthy and Murphy are gonna wanna move on this pretty quick before Fangio has a chance to get too wrapped up and involved interviewing with multiple teams.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At Anduzzis by the stadium. Fangio, Murphy, Gutekunst, and McCarthy doing shots together at the other end of the bar. Lots of laughing and smiles. This is a good sign.

anduzzi's has great nachos...and pitchers of beer!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Here I read that they were seen playing a round of golf together in the Bahamas and Wolf, Capers, Edgar Bennett and Jeff Janis were caddying for them. :coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts