Who should be the New DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
New Bears coach Matt Nagy on if he'll retain Fangio:

"That's a very important hire for me. Vic and I have talked. We understand the situation. But that's something we're going to attack here today"

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Enlighten me on Gus Bradley. What do you like?

I have been trying to read up on him, since this is the first I have even heard of the guy.

Looks like after a few non-stellar years, he did great in Seattle. Was the Seahawks defense and its players made great by Bradley or was it great players making the coach look great? When I think of that defense I think of Wagner, Wright, Sherman, Browner, Chancellor, Thomas. 6 guys I would say could make any defense, maybe even a Dom Capers defense, look brilliant!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I have been trying to read up on him, since this is the first I have even heard of the guy.

Looks like after a few non-stellar years, he did great in Seattle. Was the Seahawks defense and its players made great by Bradley or was it great players making the coach look great? When I think of that defense I think of Wagner, Wright, Sherman, Browner, Chancellor, Thomas. 6 guys I would say could make any defense, maybe even a Dom Capers defense, look brilliant!

Traditionally, the Pete Carroll defense runs a good deal of cover three zone, though the Seahawks (and derivatives in Jacksonville and Atlanta of recent seasons) have used a lot more cover one. The base set of this defense traditionally features an elephant DE (e.g. Michael Bennett), a 1 technique (Brandon Mebane), a penetrating 3 technique (Sheldon Richardson), and a speed rushing "LEO" (Cliff Avril) end that often lines up on the right tackle. The defense doesn't generally use a ton of sub package defense compared to the rest of the league (especially compared to Capers) and asked a whole lot of its linebackers in coverage. The middle linebacker plays sideline to sideline (Bobby Wagner), and oftentimes one of the off-ball OLB's possesses some edge rush skills (Bruce Irvin, K.J. Wright). The scheme thrives with long corners that can disrupt at the LOS and is dependent on generating pass rush with four guys. The most successful version of this defense has featured elite FS play in Earl Thomas.

I can envision this working for our DL and elements of the secondary, but the linebackers would need to be overhauled and they would need a free safety with more range.

All this ought to come with a caveat that Bradley wouldn't necessarily be married to exactly what he's done in the past. He coordinated an excellent Chargers defense in 2017 without much athleticism at linebacker, albeit with the best pass rusher tandem in the league.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

He also was partly responsible for building the Jags D which is best in the league right now.

He made the Chargers D respectable.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I should add that what I would like most about this move is the big step down in complexity from Capers' defense. Capers runs one of the most difficult schemes in the league for defenders to execute properly. Certainly the Carroll/Bradley/Quinn scheme is complex in that it's a professional defense, but by comparison it's much simpler. This allows young players to pick it up faster, master it more easily, and play with less thinking/hesitation. It's not perfect-- Bradley defenses end up with linebackers covering receivers far too often-- but it would be an improvement, in my opinion.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
He also was partly responsible for building the Jags D which is best in the league right now.

He made the Chargers D respectable.
Chargers went from 26th in points allowed in 2016 to 3rd in 2017 under Bradley.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I should add that what I would like most about this move is the big step down in complexity from Capers' defense. Capers runs one of the most difficult schemes in the league for defenders to execute properly. Certainly the Carroll/Bradley/Quinn scheme is complex in that it's a professional defense, but by comparison it's much simpler. This allows young players to pick it up faster, master it more easily, and play with less thinking/hesitation. It's not perfect-- Bradley defenses end up with linebackers covering receivers far too often-- but it would be an improvement, in my opinion.

Move Randall to free safety and draft Roquan Smith. Add some LB depth. I think Joe Thomas could do well in Bradley system too.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Chargers went from 26th in points allowed in 2016 to 3rd in 2017 under Bradley.

This is true. However, any expectations regarding Bradley in Green Bay should come with the understanding that L.A. has the best pass rushing tandem in the NFL.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
This is true. However, any expectations regarding Bradley in Green Bay should come with the understanding that L.A. has the best pass rushing tandem in the NFL.
Absolutely.

To your point, the simplification of his scheme in comparison to Capers would almost immediately eliminate a lot of the defensive breakdowns, miscommunications, etc. that absolutely kill us late in games.

I think we would see marked improvement in year one under Bradley.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Absolutely.

To your point, the simplification of his scheme in comparison to Capers would almost immediately eliminate a lot of the defensive breakdowns, miscommunications, etc. that absolutely kill us late in games.

I think we would see marked improvement in year one under Bradley.

As Green Bay was 24th in scoring defense, I should hope so.

To be fair (and I do like Bradley), he had some really dreadful defenses in Jacksonville. But his work strictly as a coordinator, as opposed to head coach, has routinely been stellar.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
As Green Bay was 24th in scoring defense, I should hope so.

To be fair (and I do like Bradley), he had some really dreadful defenses in Jacksonville. But his work strictly as a coordinator, as opposed to head coach, has routinely been stellar.
It would be saying a lot to move from 24th to say 10th-12th, but I think it's possible without even adding a whole lot of additional difference makers. It's evident that Bradley was just never cut out to be a head coach. First year Bradley gone, Jacksonville best defense in the league. I think he did some good things, but like you alluded to, he couldn't specifically focus on the defense enough.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea if he is good. I have no idea if most of the credit should go to Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, and Brandon Browner breaking out that 2012 year. What I do like is he is a lot younger than Crapers. I'd be ok with the move, but I won't do backwards cartwheels either.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Gus Bradley would be a huge upgrade over Dom Capers "mind meld" scheme.

Josh Jones could play a role like Telvin Smith too. We have more pieces then some people might think.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They loved Pettine so much they aren't even going to interview Bradley. They hired a guy who nobody wanted for the last few years.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes I will certainly elaborate JUST for you...

http://thebiglead.com/2014/06/19/mi...shared-the-jets-playbook-with-bill-belichick/

He's a total $hit stir...everywhere he's been, he's created problems and made enemies. He got way too much credit for Rex Ryan's defense in NY and played the same $hit stir games in Cleveland where he laid blamed on everyone else and made enemies along the way. There's a reason he hasn't been given a job in THREE years in this league. Overrated as a DC using Rex's scheme and fell flat on his face in Clevelamd while making enemies at every stop. I'll pass on Pettine thanks.

The Browns featured a top 10 scoring defense during Pettine's first year as their head coach while featuring a terrible offense. The Packers haven't been able to accomplish that in seven years with Rodgers playing quarterback.

Fortunately, we have tape on Fangio's defense. There are similar aspects, and there are different aspects. Put really, really simply...Fangio runs a simple, more aggressive defense than Capers. Capers was exotic, Fangio is not. If you watch the film of it, it's pretty basic stuff for the most part. Watch what he's done on tape. It'll help you out.

It's hilarious that you actually believe you know something about the complexity of Fangio's scheme by watching some highlight tape. Maybe, just maybe it has looked less complicated than Capers' defenses because the players were able to execute it.

McCarthy is coaching for his job. It's unlikely he will hire a DC that brings a big schematic shift. He doesn't have time for the transition.

As for his work outside of SF, Fangio's defenses were 13th, 24th, and 9th in scoring defenses in his three years in Chicago. Those results won't and shouldn't blow anyone away on their own, but the talent level that he was working with left a lot to be desired. The Packers have had better personnel and worse results. A great coordinator gets more out of a unit than the sum of its parts, and Fangio does that in my opinion.

Capers had plenty to work with and routinely underperformed. If you need a perfect situation to coordinate a good defense, you're not cut out for the job any more.

FWIW the Bears finished in 20th in points allowed during Fangio's first season as their DC. It's mind-boggling that there are still many Thompson supporters believing the Packers have sufficient talent on defense on the roster.

As objectively as I can look at it, the only place on defense where I think the Bears were better than us in terms of personnel was corner. I think the Packers were as good or better at every other position group.

I have absolutely no idea how anyone could take an objective look at both rosters and come up with a conclusion like that.

We have more pieces then some people might think.

The Packers desperately lack pass rush, a coverage linebacker as well as an above average secondary. Gutekunst definitely needs to add talent for the unit to significantly improve.

They loved Pettine so much they aren't even going to interview Bradley. They hired a guy who nobody wanted for the last few years.

Bradley signed a three-year deal to return to the Chargers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts