What's up with Woodson?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Charles Woodson hasn't really performed that well this year, no where near to where expectations are. He only has 1 pick, and has been called for a million penalties this year. I'm kind of reluctant to say it, but he has almost become a liability in coverage. Tramon has really been the guy. And he has been superb.

Does this worry any of you at all? If Woodson isn't adequate the next in line are Shields and Harris. Shields hasn't been too bad, but certainly isn't great and Harris is aging and coming off injury so there are no guarantees with him.

Anyone heard anything about Underwood at all?

Big Dan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson has turf toe, which is supposedly so horridly painful that it will slow anyone down, even if just by the tiniest of margines. I also read this morning on FSWisconsin that receivers have been initiating much of the contact that Woodson is getting flagged for.

Refs are human too. I think. Maybe. Once they get a preconceived notion about a guy, it can be tough to get it swung back the other way. They see a bunch of contact, and know Woodson's been getting flagged to death, so in their heads it must be on Woodson.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Yeah, you can thank all the whiner coaches that whined to the league about this or that and then they got on the officials. So this year the officials are watching him and flagging everything.

Yep, he's injured. Probably more so than we even realize. Wasn't there some football player than amputated his toe because of it? Some players retire because of it. So I'll give him credit to playing.

YoKramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also he is kind of the baby sitter of our D right now. Once Harris and Bigby come back and he feels that he can break some coverage to go after the ball you will see his numbers jump up again.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe that's why he isn't doing the norm you see the receivers go into him but he gets the call so think he is frustrated,hope like all say when harris gets back see a different woody.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson is old... same draft class as Randy Moss.
And Woodson has had more than his share of injuries.... remember he's a guy who missed a lot of games with the Raiders before they cast him away, letting us have him. They tried to do that with Randy Moss too, in 2007 you remember.

Guys lose speed as they get older..... any of you 30 or older certainly can attest to that fact. Woodson, like Dirty Al, always was a guy who clutched & grabbed receivers. Now Chuck feels he's lost a step and he won't let the guy run past him cuz he doesn't have that catch-up speed anymore.

Anyone remember the 2nd Bears game last year? Devin Aroshamadu torched him a few times, including a touchdown. I knew something was up then, late last year.... Charles liked to gamble too, which leads to big plays and big plays against.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson has turf toe, which is supposedly so horridly painful that it will slow anyone down, even if just by the tiniest of margines. I also read this morning on FSWisconsin that receivers have been initiating much of the contact that Woodson is getting flagged for.

Refs are human too. I think. Maybe. Once they get a preconceived notion about a guy, it can be tough to get it swung back the other way. They see a bunch of contact, and know Woodson's been getting flagged to death, so in their heads it must be on Woodson.

He has had that turf toe forever. I dont remember a season on the packers where he was on the injury list for something most games.

I think its just age and lack of preparation in the offseason. At his age its all about what you do to take care of yourself in the offseason.

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its the injury and because of lack of pass rush in some of the games he is trying to cover the receiver instead of going for the ball. Also, in the MN game he made quite a few RB tackles that showed his speed!

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson is old... same draft class as Randy Moss.
And Woodson has had more than his share of injuries.... remember he's a guy who missed a lot of games with the Raiders before they cast him away, letting us have him. They tried to do that with Randy Moss too, in 2007 you remember.

Guys lose speed as they get older..... any of you 30 or older certainly can attest to that fact. Woodson, like Dirty Al, always was a guy who clutched & grabbed receivers. Now Chuck feels he's lost a step and he won't let the guy run past him cuz he doesn't have that catch-up speed anymore.

Anyone remember the 2nd Bears game last year? Devin Aroshamadu torched him a few times, including a touchdown. I knew something was up then, late last year.... Charles liked to gamble too, which leads to big plays and big plays against.

Yes, I remember wondering how Woodson was getting beat so badly by a nobody.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
woodson is still playing at a high lvl hes still causing fumbles, throwing his body around i dont think some of you guys see how much more he is now coming up for run support then last year do to injuries. Teams are game planing to go away from woodson also. Woodson is still always around the ball.

Packman Chant

Lambeau West
Reaction score
Woodson is playing VERY well. Stopping the run behind the line, making big tackles. His blitz is very effective. If nothing else his name makes QB's hesitate before throwing his way lol. Always active on the ball trying to strip it away. I think hes playing very well, dont think anything is wrong with em'. Thats just me though. Oh the penalties yeah...gaave up a few big ones but still how many big plays has he stopped. GO PACK!

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I think what you're noticing is the lack of attention grabbing INTs. Those normally mask the problems he's having.

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not worried about Woodson, he's still playing at a Pro Bowl level, we just need to get some of the injured starters back...soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts