what would you trade for Richard Sherman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
..and back to reality....

LOL....before too many fans from the other 31 teams not in Seattle, get too excited about the idea of trading for Richard Sherman, this is a good read.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sport...s/seahawks-insider-blog/article139138668.html

I like the end of the article:

"But if Atlanta was to offer, say, Julio Jones and Matt Ryan plus its starting tight ends and an offensive lineman or three, sure, the Seahawks could become open to trading Sherman."

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first question I would ask is why are they willing to trade him. Becaue they want to get rid of the off field distractions? Somehow I doubt it. Is it to free up cap space? At around 11 million for the next couple of years I doubt that as well. Which leaves me with one answer, they think they can bilk some team out of a boatload of picks or star players. That means he won't be had for a 1st rounder or even a first and a fifth. Like the article said, Seattle is open to trading Sherman in the same sense that pretty much any GM is open to trading just about any player and I don't think Ted would be willing to give up what it would take. I don't think I would either.

I understand that the original question was what WOULD you trade to get him so any discussion is fine but IMO it so hypothetical as to be pure fantasy. You might as well ask what would you trade for Julio Jones or LeVeon Bell, or the first pick of the draft? Any of them have pretty much the same chance of happening.

Reaction score
Next to our own division I can't think of a team that would be more reluctant to make a trade That would significantly enhance the Packers than maybe maybe Dallas after recent events.
Also, we all know that trading draft picks goes against the very fiber of Teds essence so if this happens also expect a 5th blood moon paired with another lunar eclipse on another major Jewish holiday followed by the NEAR space probe being struck by an asteroid field

D

Deleted member 6794

I mean right now you have interchangeable safeties not sure you would with Randall. don't think he can play in the box at all

The Packers current starters aren't really interchangeable though as Burnett isn't a fit to line up as a single high free safety.

That is the entirety of an indictment in a nutshell of Ted's player procurement process. Seattle or anyone else would not be interested in Burnett, Martinez/Ryan's/Spriggs' potential, or either of Adams / Cobb? Losing all the preceding would hurt but any of them would not be a team killer.

I agree the Packers have several players on the roster other teams would be interested in trading for at the right price. What I was getting at is that Green Bay can't afford to lose any of them as the team doesn't have the necessary depth to pull off a move like that though.

Aside of tight end and possibly offensive tackle (although Spriggs and Murphy are currently question marks as well) there isn't a single position on the roster Thompson should feel comfortable about losing a starter.

With injuries most likely to happen to some core players next season as well that is a scary realization.

Ted Thompson can draft wrs... we know this for sure.
If we can't keep Adams next year anyways, because we already are paying Jordy and Cobb 10mil each... maybe we trade him and draft a replacement sooner than later.

It takes wide receivers several years to develop into an impact player with the Packers after being drafted though. While I would be fine with selecting a WR this year the Packers should absolutely hold on to Nelson, Cobb and Adams.

This year, why not offer 1 year deals for veteran CBs, Darrelle Revis or Brandon Flowers or Leon Hall. I know Hall is DB hybrid, might not cost much. Flowers wants to prove he can play a full schedule, extra motivation. Revis is self-explanatory. Another option is Ross Cockrell from the Steelers, he's a 26 year old RFA, and the team gave him a 4th round tender. If the Steelers don't bite on the late 4th round pick, offer our late 3rd for Cockrell and their fourth rounder or fifth rounder. RBs could be found in the 4th or 5th rounds. Packers just need a bruiser. First three picks for Packers should be dedicated to CB, ILB, and OG in that order.

As I've mentioned before the Packers should be interested in going after Cockrell. There's no reason to pursue another of the other cornerbacks you suggested as Revis is washed up, Flowers missed most of last season because of his fourth documented concussion and Hall is primarily a subpackage player only suited to line up in the slot.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do your trade Lacy when he isn't under contract?
*Would've = would have. I was referring to past-tense when Lacy was still on the Packers (or if we would have re-signed him).

My Lacy answer isn't one based off hindsight either. It was a trade I had in the back of my mind as soon as Lynch retired last year.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting Richard Sherman would be a dream. he could end up being the Charles Woodson that the Packers' defense desperately need. One of the best CBs in the league and he has an attitude.

Unfortunately, it would involve a risk -- Packers might be able to get Sherman if they gave up this year's #1 and next year's #2 picks. That would take some guts, which is why Ted won't do it.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT likes Stanford players well I guess pac 12. Ido about 1st and 3rd maybe 1st and 4th but keep in mind that the reason they are willing to trade him is because he wants a new contract. so might not just be a matter of trading for him but also agreeing to sine kind of extension
..and back to reality....

LOL....before too many fans from the other 31 teams not in Seattle, get too excited about the idea of trading for Richard Sherman, this is a good read.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sport...s/seahawks-insider-blog/article139138668.html

I like the end of the article:

"But if Atlanta was to offer, say, Julio Jones and Matt Ryan plus its starting tight ends and an offensive lineman or three, sure, the Seahawks could become open to trading Sherman."

so it's one reporters opinion that they would realistically trade him and it's another reporters opinion that they would but only for a deal no one would ever offer. those comments by Seahawks gm are exactly the kind of comments one would make if they were trying to put themselves in the best position to get the most value. or they could be face value comments and that's how they really feel about Sherman but I'm sure there's people in that front office that are getting sick of the outspoken sherman

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
*Would've = would have. I was referring to past-tense when Lacy was still on the Packers (or if we would have re-signed him).

My Lacy answer isn't one based off hindsight either. It was a trade I had in the back of my mind as soon as Lynch retired last year.

I don't think Lacy would have been much in the way of trade bait last year or if we had signed him for what Seattle signed him for. Maybe if you did it after his Rookie or second year. At the time, you probably would have been skinned alive for suggesting the Packers trade away their new found RB, but using hindsight now, it would have been a brilliant trade at the end of year 2.

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record I'm not against bringing Sherman here if it was in the works, but for some reason I just get this feeling he doesn't want to come to Green Bay. It may be just a feeling, but he just doesn't strike me as the guy that'd be looking to head to small town football. As much as I hate to say it, I got a feeling the Bears might make a play for him.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It takes wide receivers several years to develop into an impact player with the Packers after being drafted though. While I would be fine with selecting a WR this year the Packers should absolutely hold on to Nelson, Cobb and Adams.

I agree with keeping all three. However, next year, Cobb should get moved. I really think we're actually hurting Nelson by primarily placing him on the outside. He is still our No. 1 receiver and will be for a couple more years. However, it may be time to move Nelson inside a little bit more and mix it up alongside Bennett and Kendricks, running cross routes, drags, 15 yard digs, etc. Nelson could play a role very much like Larry Fitzgerald, extending his career. Adams is not a burner, he can be an elite No. 2 receiver like Michael Crabtree. Adams should be prioritized over Cobb, as Cobb has one year left after this season. Next year, get a true vertical threat, ideally with size and of course speed, trade Cobb; and let Monty take over that role. Hell, maybe Allison could develop into the vertical threat for the Packers, knocking the top off the defense. Regardless, this offense is set, and may have a chance at breaking some records this upcoming season.

...Hall is primarily a subpackage player only suited to line up in the slot.

That is true. Hall is a subpackage player, at age 33. But he's more than just a slot guy, which the Packers actually need. He is a tone setter both on and off the field. Great glue guy, good locker room presence. Has contributed to some great defenses over the past decade, namely Bengals and Giants. He's not expensive, and at this point, its about the rings.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with keeping all three. However, next year, Cobb should get moved. I really think we're actually hurting Nelson by primarily placing him on the outside. He is still our No. 1 receiver and will be for a couple more years. However, it may be time to move Nelson inside a little bit more and mix it up alongside Bennett and Kendricks, running cross routes, drags, 15 yard digs, etc. Nelson could play a role very much like Larry Fitzgerald, extending his career. Adams is not a burner, he can be an elite No. 2 receiver like Michael Crabtree. Adams should be prioritized over Cobb, as Cobb has one year left after this season. Next year, get a true vertical threat, ideally with size and of course speed, trade Cobb; and let Monty take over that role. Hell, maybe Allison could develop into the vertical threat for the Packers, knocking the top off the defense. Regardless, this offense is set, and may have a chance at breaking some records this upcoming season.

While I agree that Cobb hasn't performed up to the contract he signed two years ago I don't understand all the negativity towards him. With Montgomery having moved to running back full time the Packers won't use him as a slot receiver going forward. Allison for sure isn't a vertical threat capable of taking the top off a defense.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree that Cobb hasn't performed up to the contract he signed two years ago I don't understand all the negativity towards him. With Montgomery having moved to running back full time the Packers won't use him as a slot receiver going forward. Allison for sure isn't a vertical threat capable of taking the top off a defense.

I have nothing negative to say about Cobb. He's a great teammate. He is underrated. However, his contract does not fit his production. Maybe it's unfair, but when Jordy went down two seasons ago, I personally thought Cobb should've been a little "T.O.ish" He should've said, "Give me that damn pigskin!!!". Especially after signing that contract, you play harder, act like an elite receiver, demand the ball. I don't think it's negativity on my part, just wishful thinking. He should be traded next season, because his value will warrant and yield compensation to replenish the team... Hopefully a SB winning one. Reality is...Players are commodities...That's the ugly truth.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allison for sure isn't a vertical threat capable of taking the top off a defense.

Probably not. I just really like Allison. He's a grinder. He has sure hands. He grabs the ball and goes into YAC mode. It would be great to see an empty set with Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Allison, and Bennett creating havoc. Still got Kendricks, Janis, Rodgers, Montgomery and the other "other guys"....YIKES!!!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have nothing negative to say about Cobb. He's a great teammate. He is underrated. However, his contract does not fit his production. Maybe it's unfair, but when Jordy went down two seasons ago, I personally thought Cobb should've been a little "T.O.ish" He should've said, "Give me that damn pigskin!!!". Especially after signing that contract, you play harder, act like an elite receiver, demand the ball. I don't think it's negativity on my part, just wishful thinking. He should be traded next season, because his value will warrant and yield compensation to replenish the team... Hopefully a SB winning one. Reality is...Players are commodities...That's the ugly truth.

And if he says "Give me that damn pigskin!!!". He is labeled as selfish and a cancer in the locker room. Maybe not by you but by a lot of other fans. Depending on the development of our younger guys Cobb certainly could be a trade candidate nest year but since this thread is about acquiring Sherman this year and several people suggested throwing Cobb into the mix it makes sense to say trading Cobb this year makes no sense. The dead money and the uncertainty other than Nelson and maybe Adams (although I'm sure many are still uncertain about him) makes trading Cobb this year foolish.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if he says "Give me that damn pigskin!!!". He is labeled as selfish and a cancer in the locker room.

You're right. I would not think that would be a problem. While, not literally saying, "Give me that damn pigskin!!!, which would be great, something along those lines would've been warranted. I was speaking of two years ago when Nelson went down for the year. Who cares what us fans or others may think. They're in the locker room, they're on the field. If I have to ruffle some feathers to be successful, so be it.

...uncertainty other than Nelson and maybe Adams (although I'm sure many are still uncertain about him) makes trading Cobb this year foolish.

Adams is a sure thing, he just took a year a little longer to get on page with Rodgers. That 2015 season was frustrating!!! Also, trading Cobb this year. No way. However, if they did. Packers would be alright. Uncertainty other than Nelson and Adams, after a Cobb trade? How about Bennett? Kendricks? Montgomery? How bout dat?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT likes Stanford players well I guess pac 12. Ido about 1st and 3rd maybe 1st and 4th but keep in mind that the reason they are willing to trade him is because he wants a new contract. so might not just be a matter of trading for him but also agreeing to sine kind of extension

so it's one reporters opinion that they would realistically trade him and it's another reporters opinion that they would but only for a deal no one would ever offer. those comments by Seahawks gm are exactly the kind of comments one would make if they were trying to put themselves in the best position to get the most value. or they could be face value comments and that's how they really feel about Sherman but I'm sure there's people in that front office that are getting sick of the outspoken sherman
Or he is realizing Thomas is the keeper between the two. And he wants to trade him before he loses him. ?

H

HardRightEdge

Apparently the Seahawks would be willing to trade him. he's set to have a cap number of 11 and 11.4 million in 2017/18 which might be too high so we'd likely have to sign him to a more cap friendly extension. he's 28 years old. I'd definitely without thinking give up the first round pick #29. I'm not sure how much more than that I guess 1st and a 5th. just because the chances of drafting a player of Sherman's caliber at 29 is highly unlikely. maybe you trade for Sherman get your edge rusher in the 2nd tj watt or jordan Willis come back in the 3rd and maybe take a risk on mixon or Sidney Jones. then you get a ol , running back or cb depending on 3rd rounder, dl, db with your other 4 picks. say Ethan pocic in the 4th, Shaquille Griffin in 5th, Tedric Thompson in 6th and dj Jones in 7th or joe Williams rb if you didn't get Mixon in 3rd. idk got off on tangent but point of story I woukd serious think about putting together an offer if I was TT
I wouldn't give anything. Seattle would need to give me a pick to even think about taking the contract off their hands.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers current starters aren't really interchangeable though as Burnett isn't a fit to line up as a single high free safety.
He lines up at single high safety with some regularity and is probably better at it than Dix.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right. I would not think that would be a problem. While, not literally saying, "Give me that damn pigskin!!!, which would be great, something along those lines would've been warranted. I was speaking of two years ago when Nelson went down for the year. Who cares what us fans or others may think. They're in the locker room, they're on the field. If I have to ruffle some feathers to be successful, so be it.

Adams is a sure thing, he just took a year a little longer to get on page with Rodgers. That 2015 season was frustrating!!! Also, trading Cobb this year. No way. However, if they did. Packers would be alright. Uncertainty other than Nelson and Adams, after a Cobb trade? How about Bennett? Kendricks? Montgomery? How bout dat?

I'm sure there are as many people who still question Adams just as much as you are sure about him. I think he will be good as well but I certainly wouldn't call him a sure thing. As far as Bennett, Kendricks, and Monty 2 are TEs and 1 is a RB. I wouldn't say 3 non WRs give us a particularly strong WR corps.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure there are as many people who still question Adams just as much as you are sure about him. I think he will be good as well but I certainly wouldn't call him a sure thing. As far as Bennett, Kendricks, and Monty 2 are TEs and 1 is a RB. I wouldn't say 3 non WRs give us a particularly strong WR corps.

I didn't know you were talking specifically about the WR corps. Didn't say it on your post. But there are plenty of weapons (barring FAs or drafting offensive additions) that would weather a Cobb trade.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sticking to the thread. I would give up our 1st round pick for Richard Sherman, and the 104th & 106th in the third round. Also, we could trade cash for Seattle's DB coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts