what would you trade for Richard Sherman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

I have nothing negative to say about Cobb. He's a great teammate. He is underrated. However, his contract does not fit his production. Maybe it's unfair, but when Jordy went down two seasons ago, I personally thought Cobb should've been a little "T.O.ish" He should've said, "Give me that damn pigskin!!!". Especially after signing that contract, you play harder, act like an elite receiver, demand the ball. I don't think it's negativity on my part, just wishful thinking. He should be traded next season, because his value will warrant and yield compensation to replenish the team... Hopefully a SB winning one. Reality is...Players are commodities...That's the ugly truth.

Cobb should have performed better over the past two seasons but while I would be fine with trying to renegotiate his contract there's no need to trade him either this or next year. In additionI don't expect another team making a move for him having to pay $9.5 million per season.

Probably not. I just really like Allison. He's a grinder. He has sure hands. He grabs the ball and goes into YAC mode. It would be great to see an empty set with Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Allison, and Bennett creating havoc. Still got Kendricks, Janis, Rodgers, Montgomery and the other "other guys"....YIKES!!!

I like the way Allison performed last season as well but he's not fast enough to take the top off a defense.

Also, trading Cobb this year. No way. However, if they did. Packers would be alright. Uncertainty other than Nelson and Adams, after a Cobb trade? How about Bennett? Kendricks? Montgomery? How bout dat?

The Packers trading Cobb this offseason would either leave the team with a significant hole at slot receiver or by moving Nelson there more often in need of another weapon on the outside.

I wouldn't give anything. Seattle would need to give me a pick to even think about taking the contract off their hands.

Sherman's contract isn't as bad as you might think. He will receive $11.4 million this season as well as $11 million in 2018. The Packers are currently slated to pay Matthews the same amount of money over the next two years.

He lines up at single high safety with some regularity and is probably better at it than Dix.

I disagree that Burnett is better than Clinton-Dix lining up at single high free safety.

I would give up our 1st round pick for Richard Sherman, and the 104th & 106th in the third round.

It would be awesome if Thompson could pull off a move like that, especially considering those picks in the third round belong to the Chiefs and Seahawks respectively. ;)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that it's a no-brainer to give up a first round pick for Sherman. What you have to give up additionally is where it gets muddled. I'm not sure that his brash style fits the Packers style, but he's an outstanding player who is smart and doesn't get into trouble. I don't see us ever getting him until he's past his prime.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd argue neither Burnett or Clinton Dix are at their best when lined up as a single high. the packers should think about taking someone in this draft who is, to pair with Clinton Dix in case they can't afford or don't want to retain Burnett after this season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I would be willing to backtrack and give up our entire 2011 draft (Sherman's draft year), we can't really afford to assume 2017 is only going to net a guy like Randall Cobb and give up too many picks, which is what I think it would take to make Seattle part with Sherman. I still think this is the media trying to make something out of nothing. Someone might as well report that the Packers are willing to trade Aaron Rodgers and watch all the hype and attention it gets.

H

HardRightEdge

Sherman's contract isn't as bad as you might think. He will receive $11.4 million this season as well as $11 million in 2018. The Packers are currently slated to pay Matthews the same amount of money over the next two years.
Yeah, it is as bad as I think. I want a pick before even considering taking on Sherman's deal. Comparing it Matthews', is hardly compelling. If Matthews had that contract with Seattle, he'd be on the block if not simply released for the $11 million cap savings for the same reason: signs of decline.

metallicblaze

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Contract and price to acquire aside, I would entertain the notion. He would bring some attitude to the CB position. It would also move down Randall and company so that they aren't as mismatched on teams number 1.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd argue neither Burnett or Clinton Dix are at their best when lined up as a single high. the packers should think about taking someone in this draft who is, to pair with Clinton Dix in case they can't afford or don't want to retain Burnett after this season.

It's possible that Randall would present a decent option at free safety.

Yeah, it is as bad as I think. I want a pick before even considering taking on Sherman's deal. Comparing it Matthews', is hardly compelling. If Matthews had that contract with Seattle, he'd be on the block if not simply released for the $11 million cap savings for the same reason: signs of decline.

The Packers would have been fine with paying Shields $9 million this season. In my opinion getting Sherman at another $2 million to line up in green and gold would be a decent deal.

It's not true at all that Sherman has regressed even close to as much as Matthews over the past few years.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Secondary is more than a Sherman away from being " good". BTW, fans tend to overvalue 1st rounders wayyyy too much in the NFL.

D

Deleted member 6794

They'd be better. It still wouldn't be a D capable of winning a title. Moot point as Packers won't get him.

I think adding Sherman would result in the Packers fielding a defense capable of winning the Super Bowl. I agree it's a moot point though.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT should be doing everything he can to try and get him, but it just won't happen.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So you are basically saying no price is too high to get Sherman.

I would love to have Sherman, who wouldn't? However, the cost to trade for him will most likely be way above and beyond something TT would/should even remotely consider. Sherman's salary is actually quite favorable and fair IMO. Locked up for 2 years, below what other top corners are being paid. But this is the type of move that could be boom (Superbowl) or bust (no superbowl) for the Packers while handicapping their ability in the future, similar to what happened to the Vikings when they traded for Herschel Walker.

If all it took was a #1 and #3 I would be in favor of it, but given that the Packers #1 is the 29th pick, Seattle probably wouldn't be interested.

I am still dumbfounded when I read the details of the Hershel Walker Trade:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and then there is Pete Carroll:
At the owners' meetings in Phoenix last week, coach Pete Carroll said that the team has taken calls on Sherman. "There have been some teams that have called, and so we've talked about it," Carroll said. "But he's extremely important to our football team. I don't see anything happening at all."
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...le-seahawks-discussed-trading-richard-sherman

Schneider said that they are listening. The coach said that he isn't going anywhere. Sherman wants to stay. My read is that it would take a heck of a good offer to take him away, but Seattle is listening. Sure we would take on Sherman's salary in a heartbeat. We might even sacrifice a first round pick. I suspect that it will take more than that to pry Sherman away from the legion of boom.

Schneider was very non-committal in the same ESPN story:
"What you've seen lately in the news is real," Schneider said on the "Brock and Salk" show on 710 ESPN Seattle. "That's on both sides. It's just open communication. He knows what's going on. We know what's going on. "I don't know if anything would ever happen. But like I tell people all the time, 98 percent of the things we're involved with, we don't follow through with. But at least we've opened that door, gone down the road and seen what's behind door A or door B."

Reaction score
While we do need an experienced Corner, it would be wise to get a guy who gives us 4+ years and some stability in an area that has been a revolving door.
We have a draft opportunity that is probably equal to 2 regular drafts combined at that position this year.
We should conceivably be able to get our guy by either round 2 or trade up by round 3 if need be. it's very possible we can get a guy to come in and play like Casey Hayward did his rookie season and give that position much needed competition.
Weve got a lot of holes to fill but we need to focus on acquiring and adding talent not trading them away.
I'm excited to see who we snag this draft for our secondary. I hope he runs low 4.4s or better. I'm not getting the warm fuzzies with Sherman and my intuition is he might not be getting the warm fuzzies with coming to GB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts