1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What should we consider to be a success for LaFleur and team next season?

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers Fan Forum' started by Cheese Headed Monster, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Cheese Headed Monster

Cheese Headed Monster Take a shot whenever Clay runs past the QB

Packer Fan Since:
    What has to happen for LaFleur and company next season to consider the season a success?

2. Ceodore

Ceodore Cheesehead

playoffs shouldn't be unattainable. winning the division would be a great goal, but since the bears should be very good again i wouldn't consider the season a failure if they don't.

3. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Considering that the Packers have been a **** show for the last two years I'm going to set the bar low and say a winning record.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. XPack

XPack Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Mandatory playoff's.
    Be in contention for Division.
    Destroy Vikings home and away.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. ls1bob

ls1bob Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Playoff appearance would be nice. Offense in the top 15 and defense in the top half I would think be considered a success.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    The Superbowl, I mean that's what every HC expects right?

I mean in all seriousness, my expectations personally are a bit lower because we don't know yet what our players are going to look like in the LaFleur offense. That would I think be my expectations whether or not the overall record is improved is seeing Rodgers look comfortable and fire his passes with ease, and not play the hold hold and chuck it deep game all the time. Need to see more tempo and mix in draws, 5 WR packages, and do something to start getting defenses off balance and off guard.

Bottom line, the offense improving is what's most paramount to me. If that improves but we don't make the playoffs, then we kick the defensive staff out.

7. gbgary

gbgary Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    against that schedule...9-7 would be a very successful season. it'll take a great draft and at least a couple of impact free agents to do it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    There's going to be a learning curve, for everyone. How quickly it comes together is just a guess. Maybe it hurts us early, maybe we catch some breaks and they happen at a time that doesn't keep us from the post season. I'd like to see some more of those big games we play well enough to be in, actually turn into wins. But most importantly, I want to see more crispness, more discipline. Things we've had in the past, but only fleeting times in recent seasons. outside of that We don't even have a complete staff and this roster has its own holes that need to be addressed so who knows what level of wins or losses is "successful" for us. I'd expect us to be "better" :)

9. GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I would say a top ten offense and in the hunt for the wildcard or NFC north title.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Stanger37

Stanger37 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I'd like a playoff victory. 6-9-1 this year, and they lost a handful of games (Minnesota, New England, Seattle, Los Angeles off the top of my head) that would have turned this 6-9-1 team into a 8-8, even a 10-6 team and in the playoffs. I would hope the defense (if Pettine is retained) would be better on their 2nd year, plus draft well. The offense isn't that far off and if LaFleur can bring some innovation and get Rodgers motivated. I think Rodgers bad attitude was an accumulation of half a decade of complacency (which they touched upon at the conference) and it made Rodgers look worse. I compare it to the guy that retaliates and gets the personal foul. We see a reaction of the monotony of the play calling and think "Rodgers is uncoachable" I don't want to get let down next year, but I really feel like the team isn't THAT far off from being a contender. The pieces are there, a little renovation and innovation, more experience as a lot of players were on the first year (in the league and on the team). Maybe I am way off and already have too high of hopes but I hope not!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Cheese Headed Monster

Cheese Headed Monster Take a shot whenever Clay runs past the QB

Packer Fan Since:
    Yeah I also do not love our schedule next year.

12. PackAttack12

PackAttack12 R-E-L-A-X

Packer Fan Since:
    When you have Aaron Rodgers, the goal is to always win Super Bowls. All they talked about in LaFleur's presser was working to the point of winning championships, so that should definitely be the goal.

We need to see the offense get back to a top flight unit as it's been in the past and we need to see Pettine's defense continue to make strides to become a top 10 unit.

All of this though is contingent on Gute executing a great offseason to acquire more talent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Firethorn1001

Firethorn1001 Cheesehead

Play game #16 with it meaning something other than draft position would be a good start.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    For the first year I'd be fine with 8-8 or 9-7. Next year's schedule is going to be tough; but if we are either of those records I can almost guarantee the Vikings and Bears will be in similar or worse shape. We SHOULD have a shot at the Wildcard, but this is three part equation, coaching is only one part. Gute has to do his part in the Draft and Free Agency.

15. Patriotplayer90

Patriotplayer90 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    We will make the playoffs. I don't think people realize how poor of a coach McCarthy is,but they will soon.

• Like Like x 1
  16. OldSchool101

OldSchool101 Peerless Beer, Lacrosse WI

Packer Fan Since:
    I’m with Yooper. A winning record would be a realistic expectation. The playoffs would be a bonus with all of the changes and new blood going into next season.

17. Poppa San

Poppa San Levelheaded Staff Member Moderator

Packer Fan Since:
    Really. I am not as down on this team as most seem to be. That any given Sunday, 3 plays per game thing. I'd look for a division round playoff game at home as the cherry on top but will realistically expect an appearance in that game.

18. G0P4ckG0

G0P4ckG0 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Anything short of a Lombardi every year is considered a failure, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Southside

Southside Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    9-7 would be great.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Packer96

Packer96 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    With AR, SB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I've thought about this, but I haven't come up with a definitive answer yet. I'll give it the eye test - If I see things moving generally in the right direction, I'll be happy about it.

This current roster has a lot of deficiencies.....A lot is going to depend on what transpires between now and the first official kickoff. No matter who the coach is, Green Bay needs more talent.

22. Dantés

Dantés Gute Loot

Packer Fan Since:
    10 wins.

That's my bar.

23. Patriotplayer90

Patriotplayer90 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I expect a Frank Reich type of transformation. We'll go from a one man show to a competent team all around. And Rodgers will be fresh at the end of the season.

McCarthy really had no plan, other than to depend on Rodgers to carry him throughout the season. Which is why the team stunk as soon as he went down or was injured.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. pacmaniac

pacmaniac Cheesehead

9-7 is doable if we split all our division games and lose to all the playoff teams.

25. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    So do you expect next season to be a failure?

• Funny Funny x 1