What should we consider to be a success for LaFleur and team next season?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This franchise can easily leapfrog into a contender role next year. The difference between winning and losing in this league isn't that much. Look no further then the 2018 Colts. The Packers have the picks and $ to fill the holes needed. After the dust has settled I like the Le Fleur move amd if him and Rodgers can come to common ground with the right FO moves the sky is the limit.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
obviously next season depends a lot on new players coming in, and new coaches, and it all coming together reasonably quickly.

as said previously a few of the losses this season along with the tie with the vikes, were very very close to being a W, and shows that as poor as we were at times, we are not that far off being able to compete for the big game we all want to win.

progress from the **** show we saw at times this season is a more than reasonable onfield expectation, and i fully expect us to have a winning record, possibly a wild card spot, and hopefully run da bears close for the division

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting back to the playoffs will be a succes for season 1, getting back to the SB a succes for season 2

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've thought about this, but I haven't come up with a definitive answer yet. I'll give it the eye test - If I see things moving generally in the right direction, I'll be happy about it.

This current roster has a lot of deficiencies.....A lot is going to depend on what transpires between now and the first official kickoff. No matter who the coach is, Green Bay needs more talent.

While I don't entirely disagree with this statement, I'd be cautious about using "a lot" when describing the teams deficiencies. Do they have some? No question about it but I think they're isolated.

QB - Nope
RB - Nope
WR - I'm pretty high on both MVS & EQ and still think G-Mo can be a solid player. Could use a vet slot guy
TE - Yes, from what I've read Jimmy Graham will essentially be worthless in this offense. Have to re-do this entire position, and I'd start with resigning Lewis now that we have a coach who will know how to use him. Thank goodness it's a very strong TE draft also.
C - Nope
G - Yes, but I'm fine with Lane Taylor. Probably 2-3 draft picks need to be allocated to both G an RT spots this year.
T - Bahk is obviously a rock solid stud. It'd be nice to squeeze one more year out of Bulaga so this is more of a future deficiency that needs to be addressed and not a pressing need today

DL - Clark and Daniels are studs. I also think the packers have decent depth with Lancaster and Lowry.
OLB - Complete overhaul needed
ILB - Depends on how Burks develops this offseason. Martinez is just a guy but serviceable and Morrison's only real value is against the run. Not the best of situations but it can be worked with IMO
CB - Comes down to King plain and simple. If he can stay healthy the entire group is fine. I'd also look to resign Breeland and liked the little bit of Tony Brown I saw too.
S - Complete overhaul needed

You're not going to fix all of these in one off season more than likely. If I'm Gutey, I look to shore up OLB and S but the rest you can find guys for. We're not going to have studs at every position and I think the studs we do have are in the best positions (QB, RB, WR, LT, DL). There's a good young core here, need to complement it with a solid FA period and another solid draft and it could turn around rather quickly. Just my $.02

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have Aaron Rodgers. He was hired to win now.
Exactly. Imagine if McCarthy had stayed, and the Packers were eliminated in the NFC Championship game next season. People would be calling the season a failure, and wanting a new coach. There is no reason why the expectations should change just because you have a new coach. When you have Aaron Rodgers, wasting a year "developing" and "improving" is not acceptable. That's why McCarthy got fired this season.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. Imagine if McCarthy had stayed, and the Packers were eliminated in the NFC Championship game next season. People would be calling the season a failure, and wanting a new coach. There is no reason why the expectations should change just because you have a new coach. When you have Aaron Rodgers, wasting a year "developing" and "improving" is not acceptable. That's why McCarthy got fired this season.
if you'd have said goals instead of expectations it would have been better. teams, even fans, can have goals but to actually expect the SB every year is unrealistic. nobody expected a SB this year. heck, many thought just making the playoffs would be great...and as things sit now, the same would be true for next season. absolutely no one would say an nfc championship game loss next season would be a failure. considering this last season's results, they'd be super hyped for 2020...regardless of who the coach was. considering how poor the team is as a whole, the lack of depth, expecting anything other than a development year next season is far fetched. MM got fired because some stopped listening, the product on the field wasn't good enough, and as so many on the team, and FO have said, there hasn't been enough accountability.

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I don't entirely disagree with this statement, I'd be cautious about using "a lot" when describing the teams deficiencies. Do they have some? No question about it but I think they're isolated.

QB - Nope
RB - Nope
WR - I'm pretty high on both MVS & EQ and still think G-Mo can be a solid player. Could use a vet slot guy
TE - Yes, from what I've read Jimmy Graham will essentially be worthless in this offense. Have to re-do this entire position, and I'd start with resigning Lewis now that we have a coach who will know how to use him. Thank goodness it's a very strong TE draft also.
C - Nope
G - Yes, but I'm fine with Lane Taylor. Probably 2-3 draft picks need to be allocated to both G an RT spots this year.
T - Bahk is obviously a rock solid stud. It'd be nice to squeeze one more year out of Bulaga so this is more of a future deficiency that needs to be addressed and not a pressing need today

DL - Clark and Daniels are studs. I also think the packers have decent depth with Lancaster and Lowry.
OLB - Complete overhaul needed
ILB - Depends on how Burks develops this offseason. Martinez is just a guy but serviceable and Morrison's only real value is against the run. Not the best of situations but it can be worked with IMO
CB - Comes down to King plain and simple. If he can stay healthy the entire group is fine. I'd also look to resign Breeland and liked the little bit of Tony Brown I saw too.
S - Complete overhaul needed

You're not going to fix all of these in one off season more than likely. If I'm Gutey, I look to shore up OLB and S but the rest you can find guys for. We're not going to have studs at every position and I think the studs we do have are in the best positions (QB, RB, WR, LT, DL). There's a good young core here, need to complement it with a solid FA period and another solid draft and it could turn around rather quickly. Just my $.02

At QB, you're not at all concerned about AR's performance last year? I realize, in the context of your post, that QB isn't a deficiency in that there's no consideration to a replacement, but still...

At RB, you're not at all concerned that the one 'scary' runner can't stay healthy?

At C, if anything happens to Lindley (a rock lately, granted), there's nobody else even listed as a center.

At T, it's a depth thing again, given Bulaga's age and health.

Certainly, 'a lot' is entirely subjective, but given these, along with the holes you've already mentioned, I'd say the team is at least definitely on the cusp of needing a lot of help.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At QB, you're not at all concerned about AR's performance last year? I realize, in the context of your post, that QB isn't a deficiency in that there's no consideration to a replacement, but still...

At RB, you're not at all concerned that the one 'scary' runner can't stay healthy?

At C, if anything happens to Lindley (a rock lately, granted), there's nobody else even listed as a center.

Certainly, 'a lot' is entirely subjective, but given these, along with the holes you've already mentioned, I'd say the team is at least definitely on the cusp of needing a lot of help.

Regarding AR, I'd be lying if I said last year didn't at least begin to raise some red flags for me. I still believe with the right coaching/scheme he can return to MVP form.

As for the rest of them you mentioned, it's a depth issue so I wouldn't characterize them as deficiencies. The starters that are in place are very capable and in some cases (Linsley, Aaron Jones) studs. Can't predict injuries, and they are going to happen and Gutey needs to find guys to build that depth in case. But to say C is a deficiency because there a possibility Linsley could get hurt wasn't how I approached this.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, subjective. You obviously didn't approach it that way, but I think not having a serviceable backup at center is a deficiency.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
absolutely no one would say an nfc championship game loss next season would be a failure. considering this last season's results, they'd be super hyped for 2020...regardless of who the coach was.
I completely disagree. If McCarthy were still the coach for this upcoming season, anything other than a Super Bowl victory would be considered a failure. I have no doubt about that. A new coach coming in should not change these expectations.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I have always said, anything short of a championship is failure. Doesn’t mean you can’t have a good exciting season without a championship but ultimately the only real success in sports is a championship.

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If LaFleur doesn't ever sa

With the consistently great QBs, when they have a bad year , you have to assume that something else is going on. That thing, first and foremost, is Mike McCarthy. LaFluer's play calling was significantly better last year, having watched the two teams. He'll have Rodgers looking great.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFC North Champions and at least one playoff win. This is of course projecting a healthy squad. Despite some glaring holes on defense, an innovative offensive coach should be able to do some pretty amazing things with the offensive talent on this team. Very good oline (relative to what NFL olines look like across the league), obviously elite QB, very good RB, and a good receiving group are nice pieces to work with.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFC North Champions and at least one playoff win. This is of course projecting a healthy squad. Despite some glaring holes on defense, an innovative offensive coach should be able to do some pretty amazing things with the offensive talent on this team. Very good oline (relative to what NFL olines look like across the league), obviously elite QB, very good RB, and a good receiving group are nice pieces to work with.

Funny how some people think we have a very good O line and other think we need 2 new starting guards and a starting right tackle.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I think we might be underestimating how much improvement we will see based on just a new excitement and energy level among the team. I think LaFleur's youth and fresh ideas will infuse a ton of extra "juice" for lack of a better way of putting it.

If we see Rodgers with a little extra spring in his step, and the rest of the team follows, that little bit of extra swagger will go a long way.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we might be underestimating how much improvement we will see based on just a new excitement and energy level among the team. I think LaFleur's youth and fresh ideas will infuse a ton of extra "juice" for lack of a better way of putting it.

If we see Rodgers with a little extra spring in his step, and the rest of the team follows, that little bit of extra swagger will go a long way.

That might be good to help get us off to a fast start but I doubt if it will carry over past the first 4 or 5 games. Of course if we start out 3-1 or 4-1 maybe that will help keep the ball rolling. If we struggle and go .500 or worse it may come crashing down hard if he isn't all we are hoping he will be.

Members online

Latest posts