Week 7 vs Chicago - Start Brett Hundley

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can understand that, but let's consider that Brett Hundley has played zero NFL snaps, and asking him to handle the pressure that would come with replacing the benched Aaron Rodgers for a Thursday Night Prime Time game, on a short week no less, where he has three days to prepare, would not be a solution to fixing Aaron Rodgers.

Do you not see the Bears game, who have averaged 16 points per game this season, as an opportunity for Rodgers to begin to rebuild his confidence and rapport with our receivers, and get us to 4-2, rather than giving him no snaps with our team this week?

I wouldn't bench Rodgers for the Bears. But if he puts up another below average performance on Thursday I would absolutely prep Hundley to start against Atlanta the following week.

HaHa'sRightGlove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well to be honest I just don`t know, but if we are realistic here I think this game isn`t a given result wise. I respect your opinion if that means anything ?
Of course, I know people are just shooting ideas around and we all ultimately want the best thing for us to win, we just have different ideas of how we get there is all.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is not playing like a star. How many more poor performances would you be content to watch before you sat him? One more? Five more? The entire season? Forever?
How many did we sit they with Favre? How many did the patriots sit with Brady? What about his play makes you think he's done? What makes you think he's not working hard now? Something's take patience and time. He can throw, the skill is there. He needs his confidence and his vision back.

D

Deleted member 6794

Whether Rodgers is a future hall of famer is irrelevant to whether he can help the Packers win now. He's giving us below average performance. Anyone who can generate average QB play would be an upgrade right now.

Well, no -- we can ask for better play from the QB position. If Rodgers can play better, great. Do it. if he can't he needs to sit. To repeat: Rodgers is putting up below average numbers. An average NFL quarterback would be an upgrade for the Packers so far this year.

Rodgers is not playing like a star. How many more poor performances would you be content to watch before you sat him? One more? Five more? The entire season? Forever?

There shouldn't be any doubt about Rodgers having way more potential than Hundley and giving the Packers the best chance to win. The coaching staff and the quarterback have to find a way to get him back performing at an elite level. But benching him is not the solution.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Rodgers doesn't play more than a few minutes in the pre-season, which sure isn't helping, but what is the reason Rodgers has been so poor for the last year. He's missing receivers, throwing ints. at an alarming rate, fumbling.

Perhaps one reason is the coaching. The need to keep Rodgers humble. AR's interview was a bit arrogant and nonchalant for a guy that had just looked pretty bad.

Slight off, I believe his TD/Int ratio is 10-4 at the moment, it's just that he's thrown some picks in key moments that it looks higher. It's his accuracy that's become the biggest cause for concern because other average QBs out there right now don't seem to be struggling as bad as Rodgers is right now with it.

I don't really like the position that people keep pinning the struggles on the coaching. I get that McCarthy sometimes doesn't seem like he gets the players fired up enough to take the field lately, but when you've stayed with the same coach's system for 10 plus years and counting and had your best days under him, that coach isn't just going to all the sudden decide to just wreck a QB out of nowhere because he wants to make him a guinea pig or something. I have my own thoughts about some of what's being said about MM and if and what responsibility he has in this, but that's another topic.

But I think the final point about Rodgers's interview there is what's driving the Hundley talk and angering fans. This kind of stuff is highlighting that he's gone off the reservation, has a problem, and refuses to acknowledge it. In my opinion, coach can only do so much with a player who's not putting their heart in the game anymore, and that's what it looks like right now.

D

Deleted member 6794

But I think the final point about Rodgers's interview there is what's driving the Hundley talk and angering fans. This kind of stuff is highlighting that he's gone off the reservation, has a problem, and refuses to acknowledge it. In my opinion, coach can only do so much with a player who's not putting their heart in the game anymore, and that's what it looks like right now.

It's fascinating that you're able to make that conclusion based on a single interview.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many did we sit they with Favre? How many did the patriots sit with Brady? What about his play makes you think he's done? What makes you think he's not working hard now? Something's take patience and time. He can throw, the skill is there. He needs his confidence and his vision back.

They should have benched Favre a couple of times. I remember one very windy day in Chicago when he didn't look like he wanted to be there. The Bears' back up QB beat us that day.

The Patriots have demonstrated they can win with or without Brady.

I don't know if he's done. He's playing poorly. That's either physical or mental. There is no indication he's hurt, so either his physical skills are just deteriorating or he's got mental issues. What you're calling 'confidence' or what I might call 'having his head in the game.' I have no reason to believe he's not working hard. Lots of people work hard. Is he getting the job done?

Are you saying the only thing that would make you bench him is if he visibly quit trying?

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, obviously Favre never missed a start, though I do remember he got pulled in the 4th quarter I think in a 1999 game that I remember Hasselback came in and finished, and then in 2005 Rodgers got his first crack at relief duty in that forgettable game in Baltimore that year. Only other times I believe were when he got hurt, but it does go to show you that not even Brett was totally immune from hitting that bench. It's tough to gauge though because obviously Rhodes got hired and fired all in one year, and Mike Sherman had his bad GM debacles and caught the heat for it so Favre got somewhat covered by the two coaching fiascos.

And as for Brady, the only really bad regular season games (not the AFCCG) I can think of off-hand were last year against Philly at home (I believe his O-line was all beatup and Edelman was out, possibly Gronk too?), and of course 2014 against KC, but you see how few and far between his bad games have been? Nobody thinks Rodgers is in trouble just because of yesterday. If yesterday's game had been a once-in-a-blue-moon bad game, it'd probably be a non-issue. But when it's happened for the umpteenth time, there's a big big problem.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There shouldn't be any doubt about Rodgers having way more potential than Hundley and giving the Packers the best chance to win. The coaching staff and the quarterback have to find a way to get him back performing at an elite level. But benching him is not the solution.

I don't know why you make that assumption. Once again, Rodgers' play so far has been below average for the league. Can Hundley be an average or above average QB in the NFL? I think maybe he can. We've seen a lot of backups and nobodies beat the tar out of us over the last sixteen games.

I'd love to see the coaches fix whatever Rodgers' problem is. They haven't done it yet. How long would you given them?

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone's quite ready to anoint Hundley as the future, but the idea of using a backup QB as a short-term solution or opening up the competition when one is hitting the bricks isn't as foreign as it sounds.

Maybe the one danger in this is that Hundley goes in, tears it up the rest of the season and puts us in the playoffs but doesn't win the superbowl, Rodgers leaves, then Hundley starts declining next year and then going all bad the year after. Has happened and wouldn't be new, and yes that wouldn't be good.

I think though, some of us are looking at it as Hundley just gets a crack maybe a couple weeks, doesn't win the games but perhaps gets Rodgers fired up enough to say, ok I'm gonna show this guy how it's done and starts actually playing smart football gain.

Or better yet he decides starting this Thursday he's going to show up and actually start using good mechanics instead of faulty QB double clutching and silly throwing moves, and actually do it right for once. And then do that again the next week and the week after. But right now it's show us the goods because talk is cheap, and if you don't do it, that clock is ticking on you.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is going to get every opportunity to work thru it, as he should. Crosby was afforded that chance, Perry, Datone, Finley and his drops, etc. and even Hundleys success 2 preseasons ago was largely his ability to move out of a pocket. It's a huge risk to assume he can perform at even that level he did against 2,3,4th strong guys in preseason, or elevate that level against NFL starting defenses that are game planning against him.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He's definitely struggling with accuracy imo due to sloppy mechanics. Even many of his completions aren't being thrown to the right spot and causing the yac to go down a lot. He's just a hot mess right now. It happens to most players at some point.

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering how much Hundley gets hurt, no. If we had a good back up with plenty of playing experience sure, but the overall answer is no.

CheckDown81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a problem with Rodgers and it's 100% between the ears.

Either something is bothering him personally or it's football related but he's definitely not seeing the field like he's supposed to and when he does see it, the throw is inaccurate. Hell, even running a draw play on the opponent 3 yard line was a huge mess. He's just not in sync with anything right now and JMO, sitting him would regress him farther than where he is now mentally.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He isn't getting benched.

The drama that would swirl would be Favre Part II. You just don't do that to a team. I still think the issue is 1/3 Rodgers, 1/3 poor scheme and 1/3 overvalued WRs which is contributing to this dumpster fire.

Wondering if Rodgers misses are more of a 'holy smokes, someone got open, I better get this out really really quick before the window closes'

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is a diva..Rodgers doesn't get along with MM..Rodgers has family issues...

The only time I ever see this personal stuff brought up (and it has been throughout his entire career) is when he's struggling. Why is he struggling? Well, it's not readily obvious. I mean, there's different things different people will point too but the only person who knows for certain is Rodgers himself.

Speaking off the cuff, to me it looks like Rodgers' is in his own head. I see a similar look in his eyes that I saw in Crosby through his struggles earlier in his career. I'm not certain this is the problem, or if it even is, how to fix it.

But I've seen too much greatness, far too recently (albeit inconsistently) to bench Rodgers at this point. *Stephen A. Smith voice* This is a bad, bad man after all.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It really pains me to say this but Skip Bayless may finally be on to something. I've always thought he was on something but now he may actually be not entirely wrong.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has said that having a chip on his shoulder makes him a better player. It inspires him to do better.
Just add the threat that he will be benched and Hundley will start could be the chip he needs.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There has to be something going on behind the scenes that they are not talking about. I feel like him and McCarthy are just not in sync anymore and Rodgers and him are clashing. Both being too stubborn to cave.

No one in the organization has the balls to call out Rodgers though. I say that after this year, - big overhaul should happen. McCarthy should go and Ted should follow. This team is desperate for change.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm definitely not in the bench Rodgers camp, but as I'm sure Bob McGinn would say, you need to keep the threat out there of losing your job. It's the primary motivation. Favre said that inspired him every year.

So my big question is to fellow non-benchers out there. Rodgers has gone 16 games with atrocious numbers. At what point would you consider sending in another quarterback?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There has to be something going on behind the scenes that they are not talking about. I feel like him and McCarthy are just not in sync anymore and Rodgers and him are clashing. Both being too stubborn to cave.

No one in the organization has the balls to call out Rodgers though. I say that after this year, - big overhaul should happen. McCarthy should go and Ted should follow. This team is desperate for change.
To some point I agree.
Rodgers has been wasting his best years with an overrated coach who really isn't that good.
Or maybe he is a good coach and it's his play calling which is bad.
Whatever it is, yeah, McMuffin needs to go.
Then what?
Could Rodgers bounce back right at the beginning of the new season or would it take a few years for him to get back to top form with a new staff?
Would there be a risk of Rodgers wasting a few more years with a new system that he may have to adapt to?
I dunno why the old guard is still there. They know things we don't and are better at it even though it's a bad season.
What is the risk, if any, if McMuffin goes and someone else comes in?

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, obviously Favre never missed a start, though I do remember he got pulled in the 4th quarter I think in a 1999 game that I remember Hasselback came in and finished, and then in 2005 Rodgers got his first crack at relief duty in that forgettable game in Baltimore that year. Only other times I believe were when he got hurt, but it does go to show you that not even Brett was totally immune from hitting that bench.

And as for Brady, the only really bad regular season games (not the AFCCG) I can think of off-hand were last year against Philly at home (I believe his O-line was all beatup and Edelman was out, possibly Gronk too?), and of course 2014 against KC, but you see how few and far between his bad games have been? Nobody thinks Rodgers is in trouble just because of yesterday. If yesterday's game had been a once-in-a-blue-moon bad game, it'd probably be a non-issue. But when it's happened for the umpteenth time, there's a big big problem.

Favre being benched during a game because of a poor performance with the team trailing beyond hope is a different story than suggesting to not start Rodgers anymore.

Brady has thrown four interceptions a total of six times during his career something that has never happened to Rodgers. In addition Brady finished 33 games with a passer rating of under 70 compared to Rodgers' 11. Yet there was hardly ever talk of benching him.

I don't know why you make that assumption. Once again, Rodgers' play so far has been below average for the league. Can Hundley be an average or above average QB in the NFL? I think maybe he can.

I make the assumption of Rodgers have more potential than Hundley based on the fact that he has performed on a HOF level for most of his career while Hundley hasn't thrown a single pass in his career.

I don't think anyone's quite ready to anoint Hundley as the future, but the idea of using a backup QB as a short-term solution or opening up the competition when one is hitting the bricks isn't as foreign as it sounds.

That should be all you need to know to realize benching Rodgers is a terrible idea.

So my big question is to fellow non-benchers out there. Rodgers has gone 16 games with atrocious numbers. At what point would you consider sending in another quarterback?

Once the Packers are out of playoff contention.

Staff online

Latest posts