Week 7 vs Chicago - Start Brett Hundley

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's ludicrous to suggest Rodgers should be benched, especially as McCarthy doing that would drive a wedge between him and the Packers franchise quarterback that would be extremely tough to smooth.
I read a quote somewhere that during a playoff game, Favre, as usual, was playing really bad.
McMuffin said that he didn't bench him because you don't bench a legend.
I think it's the same thing here.
McMuffin is just way too nice and doesn't have the balls to bench Air-Run even when he should.

D

Deleted member 6794

I read a quote somewhere that during a playoff game, Favre, as usual, was playing really bad.
McMuffin said that he didn't bench him because you don't bench a legend.
I think it's the same thing here.
McMuffin is just way too nice and doesn't have the balls to bench Air-Run.

I submit that benching Rodgers would make it extremely tough for the current coaching staff to once again start him if Hundley struggles, resulting in this season being lost and offseason drama going forward.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I submit that benching Rodgers would make it extremely tough for the current coaching staff to once again start him if Hundley struggles, resulting in this season being lost and offseason drama going forward.

I don't buy that, the Broncos sure seemed to have no problem demoting Peyton Manning and then restarting him last year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't buy that, the Broncos sure seemed to have no problem demoting Peyton Manning and then restarting him last year.
Manning couldn't huff a ball 5 yards at the Time. Rodgers can throw, he can play, but for some reason isn't seeing things or doesn't trust what he's seeing. His accuracy has been off because of it, but he still has all the physical tools to be better than most

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, first of all the Broncos won because of a dominant defense. In addition Rodgers is at a different point in his career than Manning was last year which would probably result in him not buying into a move like that.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's ludicrous to suggest Rodgers should be benched, especially as McCarthy doing that would drive a wedge between him and the Packers franchise quarterback that would be extremely tough to smooth.

We're getting way below average performance from the most important position on the field. A rookie just waxed the Packers at Lambeau field. What's ludicrous about benching a guy who's underperforming? Any other player doing so poorly would have been benched already.

I've defended Rodgers during his slump. There have been lots of dropped balls and other breakdowns that are not his fault. But last night he just kept missing receivers. They actually bailed him out more than once, catching balls that were way off target. Either his skills have rapidly deteriorated or his head is messed up. In either case it makes sense to give Hundley a shot.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he is that much of a ***** to be around and hates MM's guts now I think the only thing you can do to get through to him is to humble him with a seat on the bench for a series if he is struggling again. If Hundley executes and they score I leave him for another one. 12 starts the next week but his diva crap needs to end yesterday.

D

Deleted member 6794

We're getting way below average performance from the most important position on the field. A rookie just waxed the Packers at Lambeau field. What's ludicrous about benching a guy who's underperforming? Any other player doing so poorly would have been benched already.

As you've mentioned above Rodgers isn't any other player but most likely a future Hall of Famer at the game's most important position.

I can still vividly remember fans calling for Belichick to bench Brady after week 4 of the 2014 season. Quite sure that move would have resulted in the Patriots not winning the Super Bowl that year.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As you've mentioned above Rodgers isn't any other player but most likely a future Hall of Famer at the game's most important position.

I can still vividly remember fans calling for Belichick to bench Brady after week 4 of the 2014 season. Quite sure that move would have resulted in the Patriots not winning the Super Bowl that year.

That was 1 game in just 1 season. Rodgers is doing this crap time and time again and everyone's getting tired of it. Expect TJ Lang to start yelling more about it like he did in week 2, and other players have gotta be getting tired of it as well.

There is absolutely nothing ludicrous about lighting a fire under a player's butt, and the only way you're gonna ever do that with A-Rod is threatening him that his job is up for grabs. That is the only, I repeat the only way to get through to him.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't buy Rodgers not playing in the preseason is the reason for him struggling. He hasn't performed on a high level for more than a year.

Do you believe it's possible to fix what ails him or should we look for a replacement? If his issues are fixable then perhaps pre season play would have provided an opportunity to clean up his game when the games don't count. There clearly isn't a quick fix here or it would have been applied.

HaHa'sRightGlove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The idea of benching Rodgers is obscene, this isn't Madden. Maybe Dak and Carson Wentz early success has clouded the reality of how difficult it is for young players to play QB in this league.

I'd imagine Rodgers is working harder than anyone to correct this right now - that's all we can ask.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

The idea of benching Rodgers is obscene, this isn't Madden. Maybe Dak and Carson Wentz early success has clouded the reality of how difficult it is for young players to play QB in this league.

I'd imagine Rodgers is working harder than anyone to correct this right now - that's all we can ask.

And you are entitled to your opinion, but it isn`t for everybody.

D

Deleted member 6794

There is absolutely nothing ludicrous about lighting a fire under a player's butt, and the only way you're gonna ever do that with A-Rod is threatening him that his job is up for grabs. That is the only, I repeat the only way to get through to him.

There's no guarantee it would light a fire under Rodgers' butt or work out in the long haul. There's absolutely no doubt #12 gives the Packers the best chance of winning going forward.

Do you believe it's possible to fix what ails him or should we look for a replacement? If his issues are fixable then perhaps pre season play would have provided an opportunity to clean up his game when the games don't count. There clearly isn't a quick fix here or it would have been applied.

I'm convinced that Rodgers ailments are fixable but more preseason snaps wouldn't have been the solution to it. I'm not one of the posters looking to replace him though.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely, I get that. What do you list as the benefits to benching AR?

1. He gets the message that this team has no room for diva mentality among its players, and if he can't get fired up to get the offense going, maybe he thinks about retiring from football

2. We stick a QB in that doesn't throw air mail that's supposed to go to Randall Cobb in the endzone all the way down to Ashwaubenon

3. Not doing so means he won't do anything to fix his game

4. Mike McCarthy gets the heat taken off of him and TT and it goes on Rodgers instead.

I

Definitely, I get that. What do you list as the benefits to benching AR?

Give him a shake up is all. I`m not saying release the guy, that would just be plain stupid. I just feel, and it is purely my opinion, the guy is getting a bit arrogant. His demeanor is all wrong. It`s been discussed on here before the way he used to shoot dirty looks at other players for not doing their jobs properly, well now he needs to look at himself. JMHO

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen him shoot a dirty look recently, it looks more like he's struggling internally and is frustrated as to how or why he keeps misfiring.

HaHa'sRightGlove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give him a shake up is all. I`m not saying release the guy, that would just be plain stupid. I just feel, and it is purely my opinion, the guy is getting a bit arrogant. His demeanor is all wrong. It`s been discussed on here before the way he used to shoot dirty looks at other players for not doing their jobs properly, well now he needs to look at himself. JMHO
I can understand that, but let's consider that Brett Hundley has played zero NFL snaps, and asking him to handle the pressure that would come with replacing the benched Aaron Rodgers for a Thursday Night Prime Time game, on a short week no less, where he has three days to prepare, would not be a solution to fixing Aaron Rodgers.

Do you not see the Bears game, who have averaged 16 points per game this season, as an opportunity for Rodgers to begin to rebuild his confidence and rapport with our receivers, and get us to 4-2, rather than giving him no snaps with our team this week?

I

I can understand that, but let's consider that Brett Hundley has played zero NFL snaps, and asking him to handle the pressure that would come with replacing the benched Aaron Rodgers for a Thursday Night Prime Time game, on a short week no less, where he has three days to prepare, would not be a solution to fixing Aaron Rodgers.

Do you not see the Bears game, who have averaged 16 points per game this season, as an opportunity for Rodgers to begin to rebuild his confidence and rapport with our receivers, and get us to 4-2, rather than giving him no snaps with our team this week?

Well to be honest I just don`t know, but if we are realistic here I think this game isn`t a given result wise. I respect your opinion if that means anything ?

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't buy Rodgers not playing in the preseason is the reason for him struggling. He hasn't performed on a high level for more than a year.

I know Rodgers doesn't play more than a few minutes in the pre-season, which sure isn't helping, but what is the reason Rodgers has been so poor for the last year. He's missing receivers, throwing ints. at an alarming rate, fumbling.

Perhaps one reason is the coaching. The need to keep Rodgers humble. AR's interview was a bit arrogant and nonchalant for a guy that had just looked pretty bad.

D

Deleted member 6794

He gets the message that this team has no room for diva mentality among its players, and if he can't get fired up to get the offense going, maybe he thinks about retiring from football.

With the other possibility being benching Rodgers ends up in a huge rift between the front office and coaching staff resulting in the star quarterback wanting out of Green Bay, Hundley struggling leaving the Packers without a decent starting QB entering next offseason. Solid plan. :rolleyes:

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Whether Rodgers is a future hall of famer is irrelevant to whether he can help the Packers win now. He's giving us below average performance. Anyone who can generate average QB play would be an upgrade right now.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, no -- we can ask for better play from the QB position. If Rodgers can play better, great. Do it. if he can't he needs to sit. To repeat: Rodgers is putting up below average numbers. An average NFL quarterback would be an upgrade for the Packers so far this year.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the other possibility being benching Rodgers ends up in a huge rift between the front office and coaching staff resulting in the star quarterback wanting out of Green Bay, Hundley struggling leaving the Packers without a decent starting QB entering next offseason. Solid plan. :rolleyes:

Rodgers is not playing like a star. How many more poor performances would you be content to watch before you sat him? One more? Five more? The entire season? Forever?

Latest posts