Week 11 Minnesota Vikings [pregame and postgame thread]

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at some of the numbers, stat wise, these teams are pretty close. MN actually has scored more points, but just barely. They also have given up similar points per game as a defense, but the Packers have the advantage there. It should be a close game with the Packers sneaking it out. I just have a feeling though that MN is in "injured animal" mode and that is a dangerous place to be. This is a huge game for them and losing it would have big implications. Wild card would still be manageable, but division title would all be but gone.

I just have a feeling the Packers are going to lay an egg. The injuries are going to catch up with them and their inconsistent play will rule their day. MN 27 GB 17
Still got the crabs eh,Krabs???

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fun fact: There are more lakes in Wisconsin than Minnesota.

More Bears in Wisconsin's north woods than in all of Chicago, too, for that matter.
Actually, that's not a fact about the lakes. It's about how one slices the data and defines "lake." Minnesota considers lakes as those over 10 acres. Wisconsin includes anything bigger than a puddle. If I remember right Texas claims about 150,000 lakes but it includes retainage ponds, golf course ponds, and literally anything with a drop of water.

Here, I found a nice article. It was a link from a University of Wisconsin-Madison Cartography office article:

Fact: There are more FIBs in Illinois than anywhere else :roflmao:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, that's not a fact about the lakes. It's about how one slices the data and defines "lake." Minnesota considers lakes as those over 10 acres. Wisconsin includes anything bigger than a puddle. If I remember right Texas claims about 150,000 lakes but it includes retainage ponds, golf course ponds, and literally anything with a drop of water.

Here, I found a nice article. It was a link from a University of Wisconsin-Madison Cartography office article:

Fact: There are more FIBs in Illinois than anywhere else :roflmao:
Okay! I live in Texas. There is only one natural lake. The rest are man-made for water retention. There's only 7,000 or so. Most of them in the North-Northeastern part of the state. There's only a little over 1 million acres of water in Texas. Elimination of Lake Superior and Lake Michigan from Wisconsin and Minnesota, there's still more mass in Minnesota in 3 major lakes than all of Texas. The definition of "lakes" as applied to all three states is supposed to be a minimum of 10 acres, and a minimum depth of 9 ft. Minnesota has about 11,000 actual lakes, and nearly 4,000 pot holes (anything under the minimum standard). I prefer pot-holes as a designation over ponds. ;)

In all honesty, I always enjoyed fishing in Canada, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Down here in Texas, I've never even gone out fishing, not even on the Gulf of Mexico. It just don't seem right when it's not like Wisconsin to be honest.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've fished in Canada, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. What Texas does have over all of us up north is that the LM bass get to grow all season long versus just in the summer up here. Therefore you've got much bigger/better largemouth bass opportunities down there in Texas.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've fished in Canada, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. What Texas does have over all of us up north is that the LM bass get to grow all season long versus just in the summer up here. Therefore you've got much bigger/better largemouth bass opportunities down there in Texas.
True! My son goes bass fishing at least once every couple of weeks. Living in the Austin area, he has a lot of options. He's a catch and release fisherman, so it's the pure enjoyment of being on the lake. In my case, I want my Friday night fish fries like up in Wisconsin. No real "supper clubs" with Friday fish fries down here. That's what I think I miss most. It sure isn't that white stuff that's starting to cover the ground. I prefer wearing shorts and t-shirt year round. That's why we have a place down near McAllen where it's sub-tropical weather. Hit the pool nearly every day all winter.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay! I live in Texas. There is only one natural lake. The rest are man-made for water retention. There's only 7,000 or so. Most of them in the North-Northeastern part of the state. There's only a little over 1 million acres of water in Texas. Elimination of Lake Superior and Lake Michigan from Wisconsin and Minnesota, there's still more mass in Minnesota in 3 major lakes than all of Texas. The definition of "lakes" as applied to all three states is supposed to be a minimum of 10 acres, and a minimum depth of 9 ft. Minnesota has about 11,000 actual lakes, and nearly 4,000 pot holes (anything under the minimum standard). I prefer pot-holes as a designation over ponds. ;)

In all honesty, I always enjoyed fishing in Canada, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Down here in Texas, I've never even gone out fishing, not even on the Gulf of Mexico. It just don't seem right when it's not like Wisconsin to be honest.
According to the Minnesota definition of Super Bowl victories they have 55

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Fun fact: There are more lakes in Wisconsin than Minnesota.

More Bears in Wisconsin's north woods than in all of Chicago, too, for that matter.
AND… we have the exact same number of lions living in the Wisconsin woods as they have living in the Michigan wild!

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can fit every lake in Wisconsin including Lake Winnabago into Lake of the Woods and have plenty of room to spare. Wisconsin has lots of lakes but they are mostly tiny having originated from melting blocks of ice in glacial outwash. The really big Lakes in Minnesota and especially Ontario were gouged right out of the bedrock and are generally very large.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can fit every lake in Wisconsin including Lake Winnabago into Lake of the Woods and have plenty of room to spare. Wisconsin has lots of lakes but they are mostly tiny having originated from melting blocks of ice in glacial outwash. The really big Lakes in Minnesota and especially Ontario were gouged right out of the bedrock and are generally very large.
Minnesota wins the lakes contest hands down. It's football where they suck. ;)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods is split between Minnesota and Ontario. Big water for sure. You can get seriously turned around and lost on the Ontario portion of the lake if you don't have GPS with you. Islands everywhere.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

My Caption. Add your own.

"OK Kurt! Here's the deal. Your job is to throw the ball downfield to the guys wearing white jerseys. Got it?"

From this photo though, that`s EXACTLY his job ;)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now what Minnesota did have was the Voyageurs, Frenchmen that were criss-crossing the northern lakes region (now the Boundary Waters and Quetico) in giant canoes. They were fur trapping and trading their way through the wilderness. It shouldn't be the Minnesota Vikings. It should be the Minnesota Voyageurs.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now what Minnesota did have was the Voyageurs, Frenchmen that were criss-crossing the northern lakes region (now the Boundary Waters and Quetico) in giant canoes. They were fur trapping and trading their way through the wilderness. It shouldn't be the Minnesota Vikings. It should be the Minnesota Voyageurs.
Yes they did. Travel in with baubles, beads, and woven blankets, leave with pelts.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
....and maybe a native wife to help facilitate the exchange of goods.
Yes, that was common place. The daughters of chiefs was always an extremely good option. I wouldn't doubt for a heartbeat that as a Canuck I have some Native American blood.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Now you've hurt Ole and Helga's feelings. No lutefisk for you on Thanksgiving!
Get your nationality couples correct. It's Sven/Olle and Leena for Scandinavian areas and Fritz/Hans and Helga/Hilde for around the Swiss/German areas. But then it might be too much expect from a Texan.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get your nationality couples correct. It's Sven/Olle and Leena for Scandinavian areas and Fritz/Hans and Helga/Hilde for around the Swiss/German areas. But then it might be too much expect from a Texan.
Actually a Wisconsinite here. In fact I lived near Chilton, and in Waupaca. From the Northwestern part of the state. We're "affectionately known as" Jack Pine savages. I've hard problems getting those names straightened out since the first day I was introduced to the old fashioned fund raising lutefisk dinner. Strangely enough, I actually liked it! Go figure!

Transplanted to Texas for retirement.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Vikings...

Offense:

-Points/Game: 24.6 (14th)
-Yards/Play: 5.7 (15th)
-Rush Yds/Carry: 4.4 (11th)
-Rush Yds/Game: 122.4 (9th)
-Net Pass Yds/Att: 6.7 (11th)
-Passer Rating: 103.8 (7th)
-Sacks Allowed: 12 (1st)

Defense:

-Points/Game: 23.4 (16th)
-Yards/Play Allowed: 5.6 (Tied w/ 8 teams for 16th)
-Rush Yds/Carry: 4.7 (30th)
-Rush Yds/Game: 130.6 (28th)
-Net Pass Yds/Att: 6.2 (11th)
-Passer Rating Allowed: 87 (9th)
-Sacks: 29 (1st)
-Pressure %: 27.4 (5th)
-Blitz %: 26.3 (11th)

Basically, this paints the picture of mediocrity that we've seen this season. They protect the QB and attack the QB well-- that stands out. However, their run defense is a definite weakness, meaning that Dillon's surge could prove the definitive factor.

Seems to me that the formula this game is to lean on them in the running game and let Aaron move the chains to keep drives going. Try not to give their pass rush extra opportunities. For all the hoopla about Cook and their running game, it's borderline average.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts