Week 10 - Packers vs Jags

D

Deleted member 6794

I can't speak for anyone else, but I for one am looking at Crosby over his entire career. He had one terrible year (2012) and 1 marginal year (2009), otherwise he has been pretty rock solid, especially in the clutch. He is 12 for 12 this season, 22/24 last season, has a life time FG ave. of 81.6% and XP ave. of 97.9%.

As I have supported with numbers over and over again Crosby hasn't been better than average over his career even if you don't consider the two years you mentioned for whatever reason.

I have to admit that he seems to be improved since the start of the 2019 season though.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I have supported with numbers over and over again Crosby hasn't been better than average over his career even if you don't consider the two years you mentioned for whatever reason.

I have to admit that he seems to be improved since the start of the 2019 season though.
And as many have said to you over and over. You are comparing him against a field of kickers that have already gone through the vetting process... and among those he is in the middle of the pack... average as you say. That doesn’t change the fact that his numbers say that he is reliable .... he makes the vast majority of his kicks. Comparing him against anyone else to determine that is irrelevant. As for his salary... which is at the heart of your argument... one .... it’s not really all that much money in NFL salary standards... and two... it’s certainly not unusual to pay NFL players more money as they get new contracts. The bottom line is that Crosby is getting paid what the NFl market says he should. I’m quite certain that if the Packers did not pay him another team would. This is the biggest argument against your point.... Basically the NFL disagrees with you.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone else, but I for one am looking at Crosby over his entire career. He had one terrible year (2012) and 1 marginal year (2009), otherwise he has been pretty rock solid, especially in the clutch. He is 12 for 12 this season, 22/24 last season, has a life time FG ave. of 81.6% and XP ave. of 97.9%.

All is good with the Packers Kicking situation. :D
This is still going on?

Good Gawd. Some one is obsessed.

D

Deleted member 6794

And as many have said to you over and over. You are comparing him against a field of kickers that have already gone through the vetting process... and among those he is in the middle of the pack... average as you say. That doesn’t change the fact that his numbers say that he is reliable .... he makes the vast majority of his kicks. Comparing him against anyone else to determine that is irrelevant.

On average kickers in the NFL have made the vast majority of kicks since Crosby entered the league in 2007. In my opinion there's no other way than comparing him to other kickers to make a fair evaluation of his performance.

As for his salary... which is at the heart of your argument... one .... it’s not really all that much money in NFL salary standards... and two... it’s certainly not unusual to pay NFL players more money as they get new contracts. The bottom line is that Crosby is getting paid what the NFl market says he should. I’m quite certain that if the Packers did not pay him another team would. This is the biggest argument against your point.... Basically the NFL disagrees with you.

It's pure speculation that another team would have offered Crosby a similar contract like the Packers have done twice over the past few years. In addition I don't believe that the NFL market considers paying an average player elite money compared to others at the position a smart approach.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is still going on?

Good Gawd. Some one is obsessed.

Just as someone is obsessed with the other side of the coin.

"Guilty as charged Osssifers"

I think those of us taking place in this conversation are having a lot of fun with it, at least I am. Captain has been a good sport, despite the fact that he appears to be pretty much alone on his island as we all lob our grenades at him, with most of us splitting the uprights. :D

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's pure speculation that another team would have offered Crosby a similar contract like the Packers have done twice over the past few years. In addition I don't believe that the NFL market considers paying an average player elite money compared to others at the position a smart approach.
Your are correct that it is speculation, however I trust that the Packers’ front office has more knowledge than you or I about how much a player is worth in the free agent market when negotiating these deals. We have no idea what goes on behind closed doors when these deals get inked.... but I highly doubt that the Packers are offering more than they think they need to.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Crosby's most recent contract is basically in line with the league norm for a good kicker. His career % is a little low to be considered in that tier, but I assume that the team considers his job harder than most, having to kick in Lambeau.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think those of us taking place in this conversation are having a lot of fun with it, at least I am. Captain has been a good sport, despite the fact that he appears to be pretty much alone on his island as we all lob our grenades at him, with most of us splitting the uprights. :D

You meant I have been a good sport despite none of you realizing that I'm the only one being right about Crosby, didn't you? ;)

Your are correct that it is speculation, however I trust that the Packers’ front office has more knowledge than you or I about how much a player is worth in the free agent market when negotiating these deals. We have no idea what goes on behind closed doors when these deals get inked.... but I highly doubt that the Packers are offering more than they think they need to.

There's absolutely no doubt the Packers front office has vastly more knowledge than I but that doesn't result in them being right all the time or that fans have to agree with them all the time.

In my opinion they have made a mistake in overpaying Crosby for too long.

His career % is a little low to be considered in that tier, but I assume that the team considers his job harder than most, having to kick in Lambeau.

I think I have refuted the urban myth of Crosby's field goal percentage being lower than some of his peers because of him having to kick in Lambeau for half of the games on different occasions.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You meant I have been a good sport despite none of you realizing that I'm the only one being right about Crosby, didn't you? ;)

There's absolutely no doubt the Packers front office has vastly more knowledge than I but that doesn't result in them being right all the time or that fans have to agree with them all the time.

In my opinion they have made a mistake in overpaying Crosby for too long.

I think I have refuted the urban myth of Crosby's field goal percentage being lower than some of his peers because of him having to kick in Lambeau for half of the games on different occasions.
Lol I think we are all very clear on what your opinion is in this matter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts