We need a REAL PUNTER!!

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh man, MM apparently is sticking with this bum. My goodness - what does it take to get cut off a pro football team? This is why he should be on the hot seat. You cannot accept these performances; just cut him and sign Scifres or find a local soccer player or aussie footballer to take over.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would ask MM about him every damn question at a presser. It is 100 percent inexcusable to have that kind of **** on your roster.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh man, MM apparently is sticking with this bum. My goodness - what does it take to get cut off a pro football team? This is why he should be on the hot seat. You cannot accept these performances; just cut him and sign Scifres or find a local soccer player or aussie footballer to take over.
I would ask MM about him every damn question at a presser. It is 100 percent inexcusable to have that kind of **** on your roster.

This doesn't mean for sure Schum will stay long. Thompson is probably looking at other options at the same time.

McCarthy is of course not going to publicly say they are going to replace him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This doesn't mean for sure Schum will stay long. Thompson is probably looking at other options at the same time.

McCarthy is of course not going to publicly say they are going to replace him.
They should be scouring the college rosters of the past two years and bring in some punters who never got a shot for workouts. The soccer player (or rugby) too. Why the hell not?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
At least this year there isn't the excuse of "Schum and Crosby have established so much chemistry, we hate to break that up for fear of effecting our FG kicker". Sounds like Schum was actively working on his technique during the game Sunday night. I'm not a Special Teams coach, but isn't technique something you work on during practice?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They must figure they're partly responsible from a coaching standpoint to be giving him more time to work thru whatever. It's the only thing I can think of, because he is not earning his roster spot at all. If he comes back and every kick is 45-65 yards from here on out, I guess I'll understand. If not, while I respect this staff, I won't understand not having a new group of punters coming thru every week till we find one that will work.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They must figure they're partly responsible from a coaching standpoint to be giving him more time to work thru whatever. It's the only thing I can think of, because he is not earning his roster spot at all. If he comes back and every kick is 45-65 yards from here on out, I guess I'll understand. If not, while I respect this staff, I won't understand not having a new group of punters coming thru every week till we find one that will work.

Agree. I would have more patience if this guy was a rookie, we had we invested something (draft choice, trade, etc.) in him or he had a history of being a good punter. None of that seems to apply here. This isn't like the situation Tampa Bay is going through with their 2nd round rookie place kicker. Schaum's body of work prior to coming to Green Bay was pedestrian and now its even below that.

How long do you give him?

H

HardRightEdge

Schum was trash tonight. We also need to ******* return some punts, too.
The problem of poor punt return blocking from last year has carried over from last season. This unit just can't seem to keep gunners out of the returner's face. KO return blocking doesn't look too hot either, though the sample size there is very small. Not only are these guys not making the blocks, they're getting flagged for penalties.

Between the lousy punting, lousy punt return game and the penalties, these guys are giving away a meaningful amount of field position over the course a game.

Last edited by a moderator:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was surprised how poorly we did on kickoff returns Sunday. We had gotten a lot better at that and Sunday we looked pitiful. I don't believe that was just great running.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was surprised how poorly we did on kickoff returns Sunday. We had gotten a lot better at that and Sunday we looked pitiful. I don't believe that was just great running.

The Giants have had some success returning kickoffs this year, I question why Crosby wasn't just told to kick it as deep as possible and force a touch back. Maybe he did? Whereas in the punting game, we don't have a punter that has the ability to limit the return game.

No doubt our coverage units are not playing well this year, especially compared to last year. Hopefully with all the new young players Zook has to work with, that area of the Packers game will improve with time.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. I would have more patience if this guy was a rookie, we had we invested something (draft choice, trade, etc.) in him or he had a history of being a good punter. None of that seems to apply here. This isn't like the situation Tampa Bay is going through with their 2nd round rookie place kicker. Schaum's body of work prior to coming to Green Bay was pedestrian and now its even below that.

How long do you give him?
I was hoping he'd be gone already. he's had 5 weeks now to figure it out. He came in for his preseason debut and did just fine. Since then it's been garbage and has really put this team in a tough position repeatedly. It's hard to win games in this league. It's even more difficult when you always have to drive 80+ yards to score, and when you need a good kick to flip the field, your punter repeatedly gives them midfield as a starting position. A lesser team would be 1-3 right because of that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes, I should have said "How long...do the Packers....give him?" I was done a few games ago. Same crap that we saw from Masthay but worse. It almost feels like the importance of a punter is an afterthought with the Packers, that is what bothers me the most.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if it's an afterthought more than it's a matter of finding someone that's good enough to halt the plans at other areas of roster turnover every year. Sure they can draft one, but Mortell wasn't exactly chopped liver coming out of college, and I know a lot of people really liked him, but he didn't out perform Masthay. I'd be surprised if they aren't looking, but i'm not expecting a lot different at this point

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't know. After 2 years of Masthay performing below average, to even ask him back to camp and then have one UDFA to compete with, it feels like an afterthought to me. Or at least, not placing much importance on the position. Maybe a 6th or a 7th rounder wouldn't have worked out either, but at least it would have seemed like the Packer organization took the position and its need seriously.

If this was the situation with our FG kicker, no way does it go unresolved this long. Some may say "but we don't depend on the Punter for points". To that I would say, we do depend on our punter to prevent the other team from getting good field position to start, which may ultimately cost us points and has over the last few years. We finally have a defense that can force some 3 and outs, but when the other team is starting in good field position and has a quality punter, all that is lost when our offense is pinned back to start a series.

Members online

Latest posts