We need a REAL PUNTER!!

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This doesn't mean for sure Schum will stay long. Thompson is probably looking at other options at the same time.

McCarthy is of course not going to publicly say they are going to replace him.
Hey Bill - can you punt over 33 yards?:ninja:

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wonder what Spencer Roth from Baylor is up 2. Or Jamie Keehn would be way better than the bum we have now. Is Nick O'Toole punter from West Virginia on a team?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I would ask MM about him every damn question at a presser. It is 100 percent inexcusable to have that kind of **** on your roster.
I believe we've found our new Jarrett Bush/Brad Jones/AJ Hawk/John Kuhn for the 2016 season. :)

D

Deleted member 6794

If this was the situation with our FG kicker, no way does it go unresolved this long. Some may say "but we don't depend on the Punter for points".

Well, the Packers sticked with Crosby during the 2012 season when he struggled mightily.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well, the Packers sticked with Crosby during the 2012 season when he struggled mightily.
I actually think this was the hangover effect of that. Thinking that Crosby was able to kick his way out of his slump, the Packers thought Masthay would be able to do the same. They obviously guessed wrong and waited at least one year too long. I understood bringing Masthay back to camp in 2015, but not in 2016. The search for a new punter should have begun last January, not at the end of August.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Distance and hang time... two things Schum isn't delivering on. Who cares about directional accuracy when 5+ second hang times could be regularly had. A flight to GB is a cheap option just to see this guy for 15 or 20 punts. Even fits the "smart player" model they are looking for - Econ major from Harvard. I realize the good kicks are on this video... but can his bad ones be much worse than Schum's 33 yarders from deep in GB territory?

Jacob Dombrowsky ~
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you even compare the two? Crosby had a track record here, which of course we debated ad nauseum back in 2012. Schum hasn't earned a thing from this organization.

We should have two new punters at Hutson Center every week, competing to take his spot. One of those two should be Mortell.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Jacob Dombrowsky ~

Can you rush that video over to TT, just don't tell him the guys first name is Jacob ;)

The only problem is, now is not the time to be experimenting with guys who have either been out of football too long or have never kicked in the NFL. That time would have been early last summer. but you are right, it doesn't get much worse then what we have seen, except maybe fumbled snaps or blocks. Schum did make a great play to come down with a high snap in the Lions game, his one highlight of the season IMO.

I'm guessing TT has a short list of punters who he would be willing to call in for a tryout, it just appears that such list is buried somewhere on TT's desk of less important things to do.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
There's gotta be a punter in the city of Green Bay than Schum. Is it that hard to hold an open try out to anyone in Green Bay?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There's gotta be a punter in the city of Green Bay than Schum. Is it that hard to hold an open try out to anyone in Green Bay?

Live update from Green Bay, tryouts for a new punter are actively underway.....

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were talking on the radio last night that a change is probably at least 2 weeks away. They said it's too late to bring one in this week and with a short week next week they most likely wouldn't make a change then either. If they did, they were predicting in a couple weeks when we have 10 days between Atlanta and the Bears I think. Makes sense. So he has 2 more weeks to get it together.

D

Deleted member 6794

How can you even compare the two? Crosby had a track record here, which of course we debated ad nauseum back in 2012. Schum hasn't earned a thing from this organization.

We should have two new punters at Hutson Center every week, competing to take his spot. One of those two should be Mortell.

I wasn't comparing Schum to Crosby at all, just addressing Pokerbrat's statement that the Packers would already have released a struggling place kicker.

I agree that the Packers should have replaced Schum by now.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were talking on the radio last night that a change is probably at least 2 weeks away. They said it's too late to bring one in this week and with a short week next week they most likely wouldn't make a change then either. If they did, they were predicting in a couple weeks when we have 10 days between Atlanta and the Bears I think. Makes sense. So he has 2 more weeks to get it together.
That should not stop them from bringing punters in to look at.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Masthay was a decent punter in his first 4 years as a Packer and when his accuracy and consistency started faltering in 2014 he deserved an opportunity to correct it. I just think it was a mistake to wait as long as the Packers did to say enough is enough and in doing so, they left themselves with very few favorable options.

D

Deleted member 6794

Masthay was a decent punter in his first 4 years as a Packer and when his accuracy and consistency started faltering in 2014 he deserved an opportunity to correct it. I just think it was a mistake to wait as long as the Packers did to say enough is enough and in doing so, they left themselves with very few favorable options.

True, but nevertheless Thompson should have been able to find a better punter than Schum.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it has stopped them, what it probably says, is at this point, there is nobody that just jumps up and screams, "I'm better". There's probably as much risk without much chance of great rewards with most of the guys out there. They bring guys in all year long at every position. I doubt they're purposefully not looking at guys that can punt. If someone out there they felt was going to give us consistent kicks and a reliable holder, he'd have been signed already.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think it has stopped them, what it probably says, is at this point, there is nobody that just jumps up and screams, "I'm better". There's probably as much risk without much chance of great rewards with most of the guys out there. They bring guys in all year long at every position. I doubt they're purposefully not looking at guys that can punt. If someone out there they felt was going to give us consistent kicks and a reliable holder, he'd have been signed already.

I have an extremely hard time believing there isn't a single punter out there being unsigned as well as better than Schum.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have an extremely hard time believing there isn't a single punter out there being unsigned as well as better than Schum.
I believe there are probably several, but they probably don't feel good enough about the risk reward ratio at this point to sign him.

I think he should have been gone before the Giants game. Then I thought he really should have been gone Monday morning after. No matter how he kicks from here on out, I won't feel good about it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe there are probably several, but they probably don't feel good enough about the risk reward ratio at this point to sign him.

I don't see any risk in replacing Schum with a more talented punter as it doesn't affect any other position.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lots of risk. Right now, we aren't gaining any field position, it sucks. It's terrible to see our defense shut an opponent down on the 50 and see our offense get pinned deep only to give them the ball back at mid field again. as much as it sucks, someone who comes in and can boom a 60 yarder, but will shank every 3rd one 30 yards and to the opposite side of the field of the coverage, or can't kick to sidelines and gives long low drive punts right down the middle can be worse. Instead of giving teams the ball at the 50, they could be running into the endzone.

There's risk, there's always risk. I'm willing to take it at this point, Schum isn't they guy we need. But it doesn't mean that things could conceivably get worse before we find someone.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There's risk, there's always risk. I'm willing to take it at this point, Schum isn't they guy we need. But it doesn't mean that things could conceivably get worse before we find someone.

D

Deleted member 6794

lots of risk. Right now, we aren't gaining any field position, it sucks. It's terrible to see our defense shut an opponent down on the 50 and see our offense get pinned deep only to give them the ball back at mid field again. as much as it sucks, someone who comes in and can boom a 60 yarder, but will shank every 3rd one 30 yards and to the opposite side of the field of the coverage, or can't kick to sidelines and gives long low drive punts right down the middle can be worse. Instead of giving teams the ball at the 50, they could be running into the endzone.

Well, a lot of other teams in the league are capable of finding a punter not shanking every third punt or kick away from coverage, the Packers should be able to do so as well. If Schum's replacement would struggle as well bring in another one until ending up with a decent one. It doesn't take a whole lot of chemistry punting a football.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

especially if they look like the ones Poker posted. Hell, trot one of them out on the field and we probably wouldn't care how far she kicked the damn ball. It probably wouldn't be much worse than Schum anyway so its a win win if you ask me. Besides that we would benefit from a hell of a lot more roughing the punter penalties.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, a lot of other teams in the league are capable of finding a punter not shanking every third punt or kick away from coverage, the Packers should be able to do so as well. If Schum's replacement would struggle as well bring in another one until ending up with a decent one. It doesn't take a whole lot of chemistry punting a football.
They are, and the fact that GB previously cut punters are both without a team, the pickings are pretty slim at this point.

And there is more than just punting they can bring to the table. Maybe he was lucky, maybe he's good at fielding snaps, but he saved a game for GB earlier. That snap on that situation could have been bad

D

Deleted member 6794

And there is more than just punting they can bring to the table. Maybe he was lucky, maybe he's good at fielding snaps, but he saved a game for GB earlier. That snap on that situation could have been bad

Most likely Schum's best play as a Packer so far.

Members online

Latest posts