We need a REAL PUNTER!!

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know alot of people think that the punter isn't important. But the way the punter can change field position is tremendous relief on the defense. Masthay and now no better. The way our punt game is looking now it could very well put us in position to lose games because of the short field we consistently give opponents!

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schum was trash tonight. We also need to ****ing return some punts, too.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both Masthay and Schum were/are known for directional punting (think pinning the opposition inside the 10). Different than just pure leg guys, but yeah punting and actual punt returning could both see some improvement.

D

Deleted member 6794

Schum isn't any better than Masthay. Therefore the Packers should try to get an upgrade over him.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because he looked a lot like the guy out there tomight

This is false, Masthay had too many F- ups but he was consistently better than Schum. No friends it's not that we didn't upgrade the punter position, it's that we made it worse.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is false, Masthay had too many F- ups but he was consistently better than Schum. No friends it's not that we didn't upgrade the punter position, it's that we made it worse.

It seems Masthay had a better leg than Schum but he shanked too many punts to be considered consistently better.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about that, I remember more than a few times needing a big punt and it not even making it to midfield. Masthay deserved to be gone, and as soon as they find someone they think can out kick this guy, he should be too.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you want a guy with a 40 yard average that nails one for 50 and the next for 30 or one that hits 40 every time. If you could control when the 50s and 30s came I'd say the former but with Masthay it seems like he was always the opposite of what we needed. In that case I'll go with the consistency.

Its fun watching the punter on my nephews team, he never simply takes the snap and kicks the ball, he always rolls out to his right and looks like he is going to run but he never does. I'm amazed he can get of the kicks he does on the run like that. Its not booming by any means but for a high school kid its not bad. It also seems to disrupt the return as the returner can't just sit back there and catch the ball and line up his blocks and it cuts the return field in half. It gives the gunners a chance to get downfield so they can cover the lower line drive kicks. Most of the time the gunner is between the ball and the return man so all he has to do is turn around and down it. I don't know what his average is and to be honest I don't think I've ever seem him do a regular punt so I can't compare the two but its definitely something different to watch.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This should be our very first move on Tues morning. Cut this kid, bring in 2 punters to tryout. We have the other spot open already from cutting the RB last week.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I happen to think punting is hugely important, perhaps underrated. Field position can win or lose games. Having a good punting unit, I feel is often an asset that can define a great team.

That said it is something that needs to be addressed after last night's game. I'm all for Schum a chance that being more than two games. However beyond that I think I'm not sure.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know alot of people think that the punter isn't important. But the way the punter can change field position is tremendous relief on the defense. Masthay and now no better. The way our punt game is looking now it could very well put us in position to lose games because of the short field we consistently give opponents!

Any suggestions?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- Ryan Quigley, formerly of Jets. "Quigley averaged 45.1 yards per punt gross and 39.8 yards per punt net. He put 71 of his punts, or an impressive 31.6 percent inside the 20."

- Mike Scifres, formerly with SD. Averaged 45.2 yds. gross and 40.1 net. 38.8% inside the 20.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ALmost as important is the ST issues at whole. Why have we been unable to get anyone to field a punt? We seem to be starting every drive from inside our 10. A fun stat I found last night while reviewing this from last year:

Number of Scoring drives of 90 yards or longer: 1.
It came at Oakland, a 19-play, 92-yard march that frustratingly ended with a field goal. Keep in mind, thats not "Touchdown" drives. It is SCORING DRIVES. We had 1 last year with a 90 yard field.

Sound like something we are already seeing a LOT of this season? 85-90 yard drives are starting to seem normal for our offense.

This is a ST issue, not just a punting or returning issue. Zook should have been canned when they showed Slocum the door.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is a ST issue, not just a punting or returning issue. Zook should have been canned when they showed Slocum the door.

The special teams significantly improved with Zook being the coordinator last season. I agree not being able to return any punts is disappointing though.