Was Colin Cowherd Correct?

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't an elite franchise? Personally, I agree with him. Elite is making SB's more than once in ten years with a generational QB. Elite isn't losing championship games where your D forced five turnovers. Elite isn't losing home playoff games to the likes of Eli Manning & Kaepernick.

I know were all fans. But, he definitely has a point. Two SB wins in 26 years with generational QB's isn't good enough. Teams like the Steelers & Patriots only consider SB's as a " Success". I've heard Murphy & others say they still had a " Great" season...after blowing title games or getting their doors blown off.

True, they are popular. But, I think this is an overrated franchise.

Your thoughts? And no, me calling it the way I see it doesn't make me less of a fan. At this point, anything other than a SB win is a failure. The goal is to win titles with # 12. Anything else is just a worst draft position and a wasted season.

http://www.theherdnow.com/radio/the-packers-are-like-an-80s-rock-band-living-off-their-past-hits/

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have seen some unreal losses during the Rodgers era.... 2014 should have been a Super Bowl win, but look, it's really hard to ****ing win Super Bowls. The Pats are an anomaly.

If he ends with 3, I'll be more than satisfied, but honestly, let's just enjoy Rodgers playing football at this point.

Last season took years off my life lol.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that it's kind of disappointing the Packers haven't won more than two Super Bowls while having Favre and Rodgers start since 1992.

But in my opinion, considering the way this team is a run without having the benefit of an owner with deep pockets while playing in the smallest city in all of the big four, the Packers are definitely an elite franchise.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The only reason people like Cowpuke, Skippy Sayless, and Steven A Smith have an opinion is to drive eyeballs to their respective corporate websites. The more disruptive it is, the more their marks lap it up and spread the drivel. This brings in even more to see what the hubbub is all about. Alex Jones should take lessons from these guys. Vince McMahon taught them well.

H

HardRightEdge

But in my opinion, considering the way this team is a run without having the benefit of an owner with deep pockets while playing in the smallest city in all of the big four, the Packers are definitely an elite franchise.
First of all, in reference to the OP, if Colin Cowherd is correct about anything it is purely by random accident. This is the guy who said Rodgers would be leaving Green Bay evidently not realizing he has two years left on his contract nor understanding the franchise tag. Why people would listen to screamers like Cowherd or Stephen A. Smith is beyond me. Guys like this are walking, talking click bait, whether you click with a mouse or your TV remote.

I'm not sure what the absense of a deep-pocketed owner has to do with it. There have been multiple stadium expansions, the team has spent up to the cap, and the Titletown district investments have been considerable. While plunking down a $100 million signing bonus might present cash management issues, that's a current development.

I don't know what you mean by the "big four", but Green Bay being a small, cold weather city with an open air stadium may be a factor. It's hard to say not being in the room(s) but I suspect it presents some difficulties in attracting free agents. However, I don't see that as an overriding factor. There have been plenty of opportunities squandered.

While the 2014 season may be most prominent in the memory, the Kaepernick romp-a-thon in the 2012 season was an equally historic collapse. Then you've got other freakish events, like Palmer being a split second from getting whacked in the 2015 season. Even in 2009, Rodgers missed Jennings running by a flat-footed free safety in OT; it could have as easily been AZ rueing Rackers shanking a 34 yarder to win in the 4th. Since 2009, there were 3 playoff OT losses; those teams did not lack for talent.

Talent has been an issue in more recent years as highly paid stars have inched past their peaks while failing to stack drafts to compensate, with poor returns on draft capital expended on the defensive secondary.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not sure what the absense of a deep-pocketed owner has to do with it.

I don't know what you mean by the "big four", but Green Bay being a small, cold weather city with an open air stadium may be a factor.

The Packers not having an owner with deep pockets results in them having to generate enough revenue to actually make net profit.

I was referring to the big four leagues in Northern America (NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL).

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL does not have an elite commissioner - in fact, he's a joke. Cowherd is the same guy that many years ago told everyone to slow down, Aaron Rodgers isn't that good...LOL.
Profit sharing/Salary cap have saved the NFL in general. Elite franchises win titles. To say the team at the top of the list is not is laughable. Watching small market teams excel is half the fun.
If anything kills the NFL, it will either be science or greed. I have to agree the league has lost some luster but the product is still very good despite a limo driver as commish.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm awake now. I'll bite.
Elite isn't losing home playoff games to the likes of Eli Manning
But losing the SB twice is? Note - the same two years GB lost to them.
Teams like the Steelers & Patriots only consider SB's as a " Success".
Pittsburgh? They've won only two in the past 30 years. That makes them elite?
The article brought up Prescott and the Cowboys. Really? when is the last time they made the NFCCG let alone showed up at the SB without buying tickets?

OK, enough time spent on clickbait - and an old one at that.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, in reference to the OP, if Colin Cowherd is correct about anything it is purely by random accident. This is the guy who said Rodgers would be leaving Green Bay evidently not realizing he has two years left on his contract nor understanding the franchise tag. Why people would listen to screamers like Cowherd or Stephen A. Smith is beyond me. Guys like this are walking, talking click bait, whether you clilck with a mouse or your TV remote.

I'm not sure what the absense of a deep-pocketed owner has to do with it. There have been multiple stadium expansions, the team has spent up to the cap, and the Titletown district investments have been considerable. While plunking down a $100 million signing bonus might present cash management issues, that's a current development.

I don't know what you mean by the "big four", but Green Bay being a small, cold weather city with an open air stadium may be a factor. It's hard to say not being in the room(s) but I suspect it presents some difficulties in attracting free agents. However, I don't see that as an overriding factor. There have been plenty of opportunities squandered.

While the 2014 season may be most prominent in the memory, the Kaepernick romp-a-thon in the 2012 season was an equally historic collapse. Then you've got other freakish events, like Palmer bring a split second from getting whacked in the 2015 season. Even in 2009, Rodgers missed Jennings running by a flat-footed free safety in OT; it could have as easily been AZ rueing Rackers shanking a 34 yarder to win in the 4th. Since 2009, there were 3 playoff OT losses; those teams did not lack for talent.

Talent has been an issue in more recent years as highly paid stars have inched past their peaks while failing to stack drafts to compensate, with poor returns on draft capital expended on the defensive secondary.
“Opportunities squandered” is a good point. The Pack wasted first and second round picks on Randall and Rollins, and again in the 2nd round with Spriggs. Up to this point, draft and develop has been the dominant philosophy. Well, that’s fine, as long as they draft well. Wasting first and second round picks hurts, ARod or not.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL does not have an elite commissioner - in fact, he's a joke. Cowherd is the same guy that many years ago told everyone to slow down, Aaron Rodgers isn't that good...LOL.
Profit sharing/Salary cap have saved the NFL in general. Elite franchises win titles. To say the team at the top of the list is not is laughable. Watching small market teams excel is half the fun.
If anything kills the NFL, it will either be science or greed. I have to agree the league has lost some luster but the product is still very good despite a limo driver as commish.
All true and “elite franchise” is a subjective measure. But if you take a look at the trophies at Lambeau, and consider the entire Packer history, elite certainly seems to fit.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers not having an owner with deep pockets results in them having to generate enough revenue to actually make net profit.

I was referring to the big four leagues in Northern America (NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL).
There's no evidence Packer performance on the field has been impacted over the last two decades by not having rich private ownership. Starting with the stock issuance in 1997 (one of which is hanging on my wall), followed by the Brown County tax and the 2011 share issuance, the Packers have had sufficient funds to everything they wanted to do. In fact, that money could be viewed as "free" as opposed to the loans other ownership groups have taken out to buy franchises or build stadiums. Heck, the team is foregoing meaningful revenue by not selling naming rights. They could probably keep "Lambeau" in the name. Maybe "Eskimo Bar Lambeau Field". ;)

The only financial impediment the Packers might have would be in trying to build a domed stadium. $1+ billion would be a tough nut to swallow. However, there's not much clamor for it; few people are willing to abandon the Lambeau identity.

If anything, the Packers have had an advantage in not needing to make a profit beyond funding the reserve and development projects. While deep pocketed owners get into pro sports as an expensive hobby, they expect to extract a respectable profit.

H

HardRightEdge

Or you could look at this way: Roethlisburger was last in a Super Bowl against the Packers. Brees has only been to the one in the 2009 season.

"Elite" is cyclical; only New England is in a long cycle.

OP
OP
P

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm awake now. I'll bite.

But losing the SB twice is? Note - the same two years GB lost to them.

Pittsburgh? They've won only two in the past 30 years. That makes them elite?
The article brought up Prescott and the Cowboys. Really? when is the last time they made the NFCCG let alone showed up at the SB without buying tickets?

OK, enough time spent on clickbait - and an old one at that.

Right. But, where did the Packers lose those two games? Where did NE lose them?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't know if Cowherd is correct or not but the fact that the Packers don't have more Super Bowl wins I believe falls back on Ted Thompson along with holding onto Capers too long. Despite getting much blow back on here and other places I had been warning of an outcome that happened last year amongst other things.

While Thompson wasn't a horrible GM he ultimately left the team dry on deep talent which I chalk up to his stubborn ways. He lacked the ability to change his approach as his enviroment changed everywhere around him. He put himself in a difficult position to draft very very well and he ultimately fell short there with a lot of picks that were head scratchers to begin with. On top of this Capers was held onto way way to long. How different things could be if changes were made sooner.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Enter Gute along with Pettine and a mini "Roster Reshuffle" since has made things a little more optimistic with good reason. I absolutely love what Gute has done thus far with the roster and I already see a more talented 53 in 2018. GPG!

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
If the packers aren’t elite then there is only 1 elite team and that’s the patriots. Also we spend just as much on our players in recent years as most other teams. Our team is pulling in just as much cash to pay the players as any other team if not more than most teams.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that Cowherd broadcast was from 2016, and GB made it to the NFCCG that year, although they got destroyed by the Falcons. Last year seemed to demonstrate that the roster supporting Rodgers was not that impressive, and we've seen offseason changes related to that. Anyway, it's certainly arguable the Packers have underachieved with two Hall of Fame quarterbacks. But just how many teams HAVE won more than two Super Bowls in the last 26 years?

The Patriots have never won a Super Bowl without someone named Brady (or Belichick, for that matter). The Packers won with two different GMs, coaches, and QBs.

I would consider not having an owner an advantage for the team, because essentially the team is non profit. It doesn't need to make money for an owner. It just needs to be able to pay its operating expenses. Which includes updating the stadium, etc, etc. The NFL does not allow community owned teams (the Packers are grandfathered in). I'm thinking that's because there's an advantage there.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no evidence Packer performance on the field has been impacted over the last two decades by not having rich private ownership.

If anything, the Packers have had an advantage in not needing to make a profit beyond funding the reserve and development projects.

I wasn't suggesting the Packers not having a rich owner impacted the team's performance on the field by any means. The point I was trying to make is that it's essential for the team to make net profit as they don't have someone compensating for any losses. Therefore the front office has turned the franchise into an elite one since Harlan took over.

It seems the OP was solely talking about on the field performance though. While the Packers have definitely been one of the best teams in the league since 1992 not having won more Super Bowls is disappointing.

I would consider not having an owner an advantage for the team, because essentially the team is non profit. It doesn't need to make money for an owner. It just needs to be able to pay its operating expenses. Which includes updating the stadium, etc, etc.

You have to understand that the Packers were pretty close to not being able to pay those operating expenses before Harlan was able to receive the necessary votes on a county tax to expand Lambeau in 2003.

The team has been successful financially ever since, therefore in my opinion the front office has done an elite job over the past 15 years.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team has been successful financially ever since, therefore in my opinion the front office has done an elite job over the past 15 years.
The more I think about it, the more ridiculous I think it is to say Green Bay has not been an elite franchise. Seems like the main premise for dismissing them is that they haven't won more Super Bowls with Favre and Rodgers. No one ever says "They've only won two Super Bowls", it's always "They've had Favre and Rodgers, why didn't they do more with them?". Its not the performance being criticized, it's just ".. But they had Favre and Rodgers". Marino never won a Super Bowl, go talk to him.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the packers aren’t elite then there is only 1 elite team and that’s the patriots. Also we spend just as much on our players in recent years as most other teams. Our team is pulling in just as much cash to pay the players as any other team if not more than most teams.

I tend to agree with you but if the ultimate goal is the SB and anything else is failure then the Patriots are failures and the Eagles are the only elite team.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure Colin Cowherd is occasionally correct about something.

When it comes to professional football, however, there are people far more knowledgeable and more rational than he is that are worth listening to. He's third rate on his best day, IMHO.

Moving on......

OP
OP
P

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't suggesting the Packers not having a rich owner impacted the team's performance on the field by any means. The point I was trying to make is that it's essential for the team to make net profit as they don't have someone compensating for any losses. Therefore the front office has turned the franchise into an elite one since Harlan took over.

It seems the OP was solely talking about on the field performance though. While the Packers have definitely been one of the best teams in the league since 1992 not having won more Super Bowls is disappointing.

You have to understand that the Packers were pretty close to not being able to pay those operating expenses before Harlan was able to receive the necessary votes on a county tax to expand Lambeau in 2003.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Would you say the cash cow Cowboys front office ( Jerry Jones) has been elite?

Members online

Latest posts