Was Colin Cowherd Correct?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cowherd really sucks. I stopped listening to him years ago. I was always amused how he could flip flop on an opinion when proved wrong without seemingly to be embarrassed or maybe even aware.

Maybe he's wrong about the Packers, but right about the Vikings. You guys will like this one...........

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesot...hinks-the-vikings-will-fall-apart-this-season
cowherd is an underrated and shrewd genius. He is very perceptive in this analysis of why the Vikings suck.

H

HardRightEdge

Can't really put this one MM

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Nelson was peeking at Aaron Williams. This reminded me that Williams was a pretty good safety who's career ended when he took a crackback block to the head from Jarvis Landry. It was his second neck injury and that's all she wrote.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, it's always about the Packers having to face an elite defense. Last I checked the Packers have Aaron Rodgers. Why are the Packers always the ones scared of the defense?

Once again, you have to consider that Rodgers played injured during the 2014 NFCCG at Seattle and it was only his second game back from a broken collarbone in 2013 vs. the Niners.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think "elite" is undeserving for any franchise other than New England. Most teams have varying degrees of success throughout the years. We've been one of the more successful in terms of consecutive postseason appearances.

However, we've had an honest look at our team several times without our All-World QB, and it is a mess. A good argument can be made that any team in the league would be as successful with Rodgers.

In my opinion, we operate like a small market team. We seem to do things that a Cincinnati or similar team would do- taking a very lackadaisical approach to Free Agency, letting coaches stay employed as long as they want, signing and solid player that we have to top dollar, even if they can't stay on the field and are relatively unproven. And also make poor business decisions and bleeding talent without adequately replacing it.

It's tough to maintain success long enough to be an elite franchise. But we've had the one guy who can carry one, and they've done a below average job of putting him in position to win, at best. We dwell on these "what could have been" scenarios because we simply don't have a team which is good enough during most years, and the close calls really hurt.

D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion, we operate like a small market team. We seem to do things that a Cincinnati or similar team would do- taking a very lackadaisical approach to Free Agency, letting coaches stay employed as long as they want, signing and solid player that we have to top dollar, even if they can't stay on the field and are relatively unproven. And also make poor business decisions and bleeding talent without adequately replacing it.

It seems Gutekunst is taking a different approach than Thompson was in the past. Hopefully that will result in the Packers winning another Super Bowl with Rodgers still around.

It's not true coaches have been allowed to stay as long as they want to though.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'm sure Colin Cowherd is occasionally correct about something.

When it comes to professional football, however, there are people far more knowledgeable and more rational than he is that are worth listening to. He's third rate on his best day, IMHO.

Moving on......

Yeah, he's been given a microphone and camera....but, all the guy does is throw excrement against the wall. Eventually SOMETHING has to stick right? I gave up watching sports talk a long...long... time ago and I feel the better man for doing so. :roflmao:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems Gutekunst is taking a different approach than Thompson was in the past. Hopefully that will result in the Packers winning another Super Bowl with Rodgers still around.

It's not true coaches have been allowed to stay as long as they want to though.
Capers was here too long. You know it, I know it, every single person who has ever watched a down of football knows it. The only people who didn't know it, or didn't seem to care to do anything about it was McCarthy and the FO. Being employed 5 years too long is an eternity in the NFL, especially during the SB window of the most gifted player of all time in the most important position. If they don't want to break up the good old boys club in Cincinnati because they were experiencing moderate success with Andy Dalton at QB, that is fine, since they really have no shot nor people lining up to play for them. But we do.

I agree that Gutekunst is a refreshing change. I still think that McCarthy is a bottleneck in the operation. The offense looks disjointed and ineffective without Rodgers to consistently nail tight window throws, perform at historic levels in the red zone, and limit INTs to keep our mediocre defense off the field. He just seems like old news compared to the coaches that the other teams in our division are bringing in, who come from fantastic coaching trees, or Zimmer, whose team has taken massive steps forward while we are still reliving glory days.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, he's been given a microphone and camera....but, all the guy does is throw excrement against the wall. Eventually SOMETHING has to stick right? I gave up watching sports talk a long...long... time ago and I feel the better man for doing so. :roflmao:
Sports commentators seem to have a way of getting on people's nerves. Maybe even worse than political commentators. Probably the one who annoys me the least is Will Cain, and even he carries the dreaded mark of being a Cowboys fan.

OP
OP
P

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think "elite" is undeserving for any franchise other than New England. Most teams have varying degrees of success throughout the years. We've been one of the more successful in terms of consecutive postseason appearances.

However, we've had an honest look at our team several times without our All-World QB, and it is a mess. A good argument can be made that any team in the league would be as successful with Rodgers.

It's tough to maintain success long enough to be an elite franchise. But we've had the one guy who can carry one, and they've done a below average job of putting him in position to win, at best. We dwell on these "what could have been" scenarios because we simply don't have a team which is good enough during most years, and the close calls really hurt.

This will be the narrative that will deservedly be remembered of TT. Most, imo, will look at his tenure and say:" Boy did he really waste Rodgers prime away".

I hope there's no thoughts of honoring Thompson or putting his name on any walls. He doesn't deserve it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Capers was here too long. You know it, I know it, every single person who has ever watched a down of football knows it. The only people who didn't know it, or didn't seem to care to do anything about it was McCarthy and the FO. Being employed 5 years too long is an eternity in the NFL, especially during the SB window of the most gifted player of all time in the most important position. If they don't want to break up the good old boys club in Cincinnati because they were experiencing moderate success with Andy Dalton at QB, that is fine, since they really have no shot nor people lining up to play for them. But we do.

I agree that Gutekunst is a refreshing change. I still think that McCarthy is a bottleneck in the operation. The offense looks disjointed and ineffective without Rodgers to consistently nail tight window throws, perform at historic levels in the red zone, and limit INTs to keep our mediocre defense off the field. He just seems like old news compared to the coaches that the other teams in our division are bringing in, who come from fantastic coaching trees, or Zimmer, whose team has taken massive steps forward while we are still reliving glory days.

I agree that the Packers should have released Capers way earlier but might want to add that Thompson was allowed to stick around too long as well.

McCarthy has been able to field an above average offense even with Rodgers being sidelined when he was provided a decent backup quarterback in Matt Flynn.

While the media have made a lot of people believe that Matt Patricia and Matt Nagy are guaranteed to be successful it might be smart to wait at least some games into their first season as a head coach before appointing them to even being close to MM's level.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope there's no thoughts of honoring Thompson or putting his name on any walls. He doesn't deserve it.
I'm no big fan of Thompson, in recent years especially. But he did put together a Super Bowl winning team. McCarthy and Holmgren got streets named after them for winning one Super Bowl (each). I wouldn't begrudge him a name on a wall somewhere. Doesn't hurt me any.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm no big fan of Thompson, in recent years especially. But he did put together a Super Bowl winning team. McCarthy and Holmgren got streets named after them for winning one Super Bowl (each). I wouldn't begrudge him a name on a wall somewhere. Doesn't hurt me any.

I wouldn't mind putting Thompson's name up on the wall of honor inside the draft war room either. It would be misplaced anywhere else though ;)

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Green Bay's league wide rank in points per game since Rodgers became the starter in 2008:

2017 - 21st (was on pace for 5th before Rodgers' injury)
2016 - 4th
2015 - 15th
2014 - 1st
2013 - 8th (was on pace for 2nd before Rodgers' injury)
2012 - 5th
2011 - 1st
2010 - 10th
2009 - 3rd
2008 - 5th

The Packers either were, or were on pace for, a top 5 scoring offense in 8 of the 10 seasons. We can debate back and forth all we want about whether Rodgers deserves all of the credit for that, or whether he and McCarthy should share credit for that, but the end result is that the Packers have never had a below average offense with Rodgers behind center and save for one outlier season has always been top 10.

My point in bringing this up is to say that, in my opinion, the continuity with McCarthy at the head coaching position is going to be key moving forward. Rodgers knows this offense inside and out and he is comfortable in this offense.

McCarthy is competent, and I think with Pettine proving support on the opposite side of the ball, he'll prove that it makes more sense for him to stay on board. He and Rodgers aren't a perfect match, but they have proven to be an effective coach/QB duo and I'm not comfortable with changing that up at this stage in Rodgers' career.

The offense has been more than good enough. And I think Pettine is going to have our defense more the respectable. Good times are ahead.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy is competent, and I think with Pettine proving support on the opposite side of the ball, he'll prove that it makes more sense for him to stay on board. He and Rodgers aren't a perfect match, but they have proven to be an effective coach/QB duo
I hope you are right. I also hope that Philbin's return sparks something off. Our offense was near unstoppable in 2011.

My main concern is that with all the attention on the defense in the draft for the past several years, the offense might be lacking a few playmakers. The offense has been good overall, but it's also gone through some times when it seemed stagnant.

D

Deleted member 6794

My main concern is that with all the attention on the defense in the draft for the past several years, the offense might be lacking a few playmakers.

I agree the possible lack of quality depth at wide receiver might be a valid concern on offense.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My main concern is that with all the attention on the defense in the draft for the past several years, the offense might be lacking a few playmakers. The offense has been good overall, but it's also gone through some times when it seemed stagnant.

The one advantage that offense will always hold over defense is the impact of the QB. Nowhere on defense is their a position that can literally improve the play of every other player on that side of the ball. A great pass rusher can help but he can be negated by help. A great corner can be ignored (see MM fearing Sherman). It's impossible to minimize the impact of a great QB. The Packers flat out need help at numerous positions on offense and defense and more needs to be spent on defense because Rodgers can make average offensive players look great while even JJ Watt or Aaron Donald can't make a bad linebacker or safety look great.

Also, kind depressing article on ESPN pointing out the lack of young, great talent on the Packers now. Only guy under 25 that could be considered potentially great is Kenny Clark. That's it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Capers outlived his usefulness at least three years ago. MM is a bottleneck and has been for some time. Far too stubborn to be consistently successful, and way to slow to make changes. Finally, MM “plays not to lose” and you can see it in his play calling, especially when they’re playing with a lead. You play to win in sports or you don’t play, and that applies to coaches. I’d like to see how MM fares somewhere else without two of the best to ever play QB. Not so well methinks. And that creates tension with Rodgers which creates tension with the team. Maybe the Rodgers holdout has to do with the fact he is sick of MM.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers outlived his usefulness at least three years ago. MM is a bottleneck and has been for some time. Far too stubborn to be consistently successful, and way to slow to make changes. Finally, MM “plays not to lose” and you can see it in his play calling, especially when they’re playing with a lead. You play to win in sports or you don’t play, and that applies to coaches. I’d like to see how MM fares somewhere else without two of the best to ever play QB. Not so well methinks. And that creates tension with Rodgers which creates tension with the team. Maybe the Rodgers holdout has to do with the fact he is sick of MM.

What holdout?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the Packers should have released Capers way earlier but might want to add that Thompson was allowed to stick around too long as well.

McCarthy has been able to field an above average offense even with Rodgers being sidelined when he was provided a decent backup quarterback in Matt Flynn.

While the media have made a lot of people believe that Matt Patricia and Matt Nagy are guaranteed to be successful it might be smart to wait at least some games into their first season as a head coach before appointing them to even being close to MM's level.
If the offense was above average, we would have won more than 2 games. The offense going from above average to great does not triple the winning percentage. It was above average in terms of points and yardage,and absolutely dreadful in terms of INTs. I'm aware that it was better with Flynn, but not a single opponent of ours had a winning record during this time. And we actually had a running game and Rodgers was on course for his most productive season yet. McCarthy proved that he could take a talented, complete unit and make them just barely passable with a backup QB. It would have been hard to screw that up, and he nearly did.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My inner Packer fan wants to kneecap Cowherd for his comments, but being a fan for going on 37 years makes me realize he's right.

D

Deleted member 6794

Also, kind depressing article on ESPN pointing out the lack of young, great talent on the Packers now. Only guy under 25 that could be considered potentially great is Kenny Clark. That's it.

And yet there are fans around here not accepting that Thompson mostly had bad drafts over his last few years as the team's general manager.

First of all Rodgers isn't holding out. McCarthy has been one of the most successful coaches in the league during his tenure in Green Bay and while he has definitely benefitted from having Favre and Rodgers starting at quarterback he deserves credit for resurrecting Favre's career as well as developing Rodgers into an elite QB.

If the offense was above average, we would have won more than 2 games. The offense going from above average to great does not triple the winning percentage. It was above average in terms of points and yardage,and absolutely dreadful in terms of INTs. I'm aware that it was better with Flynn, but not a single opponent of ours had a winning record during this time. And we actually had a running game and Rodgers was on course for his most productive season yet. McCarthy proved that he could take a talented, complete unit and make them just barely passable with a backup QB. It would have been hard to screw that up, and he nearly did.

The Packers averaged 25.2 points in five games with Flynn playing during the 2013 season. Do you really expect any offense to do any better with a backup quarterback??? :rolleyes: As a comparison the 2017 Eagles averaged 24.5 points with Foles starting for six games while winning the Super Bowl last season.

The reason the Packers only won two of those games was the defense giving up an average of 32.2 (!!!) points in those contests.

McCarthy shouldn't be blamed for the unit struggling with Wallace and Tolzien, who were both acquired the week before the start of the regular season, starting.

My inner Packer fan wants to kneecap Cowherd for his comments, but being a fan for going on 37 years makes me realize he's right.

You have to realize that Cowherd made those comments during the 2016 season with the Packers being 4-6 before running the table and making it to the NFCCG.

Last edited by a moderator:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots have never won a Super Bowl without someone named Brady (or Belichick, for that matter). The Packers won with two different GMs, coaches, and QBs.

This is true, in order for a franchise to be elite (not just currently, but over NFL history), that greatness needs to span multiple eras, with multiple championships by different coaches and QBs.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This will be the narrative that will deservedly be remembered of TT. Most, imo, will look at his tenure and say:" Boy did he really waste Rodgers prime away".

How is he different from Wolf wasting Favre's prime away?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts