Was Colin Cowherd Correct?

D

Deleted member 6794

Just going by the definition that Rodgers winning only 1 SB has been a waste so far...

Favre, far more than Rodgers, was responsible for the Packers not winning another championship with him starting though.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard a funny exchange on Undisputed this morning. Well, I thought it was funny anyway.

They were comparing Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. Skip Bayless was railing on about Bill Belichick not playing Malcom Butler in the Super Bowl earlier this year.
Skip said: "When's the last time Mike McCarthy held his best defensive back out of a football game?:
Shannon Sharpe said: "Mike McCarthy hasn't had a best defensive back. Well, not since Charles Woodson left".

Sad but true. Laugh or cry.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I heard a funny exchange on Undisputed this morning. Well, I thought it was funny anyway.

They were comparing Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. Skip Bayless was railing on about Bill Belichick not playing Malcom Butler in the Super Bowl earlier this year.
Skip said: "When's the last time Mike McCarthy held his best defensive end out of a football game?:
Shannon Sharpe said: "Mike McCarthy hasn't had a best defensive end. Well, not since Charles Woodson left".

Sad but true. Laugh or cry.

I didn't realize Woodson and Butler were defensive ends ;)

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was a minor story today. Derek Carr, the Raiders quarterback, has been praising Jordy Nelson and expressed shock that the Packers let him go.
Cowherd addressed the story, saying it's an indication that the Packers don't care about keeping Rodgers' favorite guys.
I know releasing Jordy was a mix of opening up cap space and concern about his injuries.
I just hope we don't regret it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-the-packers-ended-up-releasing-jordy-nelson/

D

Deleted member 6794

This was a minor story today. Derek Carr, the Raiders quarterback, has been praising Jordy Nelson and expressed shock that the Packers let him go.
Cowherd addressed the story, saying it's an indication that the Packers don't care about keeping Rodgers' favorite guys.
I know releasing Jordy was a mix of opening up cap space and concern about his injuries.

The Packers currently have $10.8 million of cap space, a number that will be reduced by another $2 million once players #52 and #53 as well as the practice squad count against the cap at the start of the season. The team saved $10.2 million of cap space by releasing Nelson. You do the math.

While Cowherd is correct that the Packers don't care about keeping Rodgers' favorite players around that's the only way to handle business successfully in the NFL.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Better a year early...
Yeah, I suppose. I want to see Jordy do well with the Raiders anyway (unless it's against us).
The only thing that kind of bothers me is Carr said he gets open easily. And that was a supposed knock against him last year, that he wasn't able to get open anymore. I hope that's not an indictment against the way McCarthy structures his routes (as has been discussed a lot), and if it is I hope it's getting fixed this year.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I suppose. I want to see Jordy do well with the Raiders anyway (unless it's against us).
The only thing that kind of bothers me is Carr said he gets open easily. And that was a supposed knock against him last year, that he wasn't able to get open anymore. I hope that's not an indictment against the way McCarthy structures his routes (as has been discussed a lot), and if it is I hope it's getting fixed this year.

Lets write the 2018 Jordy Nelson story like this. He is second in the league to Devante Adams in yards and TDs and would have been named SB MVP with 10 receptions for 175 yards and 3 TDs had the Raiders beat the Packers 21-20 instead of losing 49-21. Instead Adams wins it with 11 receptions for 211 yards and 4 TDs.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
That may say more about the Raiders defense than Nelsons ability.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no reason to put any stock into Nelson getting open in practice.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe not, but Carr seemed to be impressed by it.

Once again, I don't care about coaches or players being impressed by anyone during practice. In my opinion the Raiders paid way too mich money for Nelson. But we'll have to wait and see until the regular season to make a fair assessment of it.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of talking heads like Cowherd, I heard something kind of amusing on the radio the other day, I think it was on the Don Le Batard show.

They were talking about how the Browns had never won a Super Bowl. And someone said "Well, actually they won two Super Bowls, but they had to move to Baltimore to do it".

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, I don't care about coaches or players being impressed by anyone during practice. In my opinion the Raiders paid way too mich money for Nelson. But we'll have to wait and see until the regular season to make a fair assessment of it.

How mich is too mich.

Sorry, that was just to **** off Jerell in case he has subscribed to this thread.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Freaking Skip Bayless is still whining about the Packers beating the Cowboys in the playoffs because "Dez Bryant caught that ball" in 2014, and because Mason Crosby hit a couple of 50 yard field goals a few years back. He is always talking about how Rodgers is 5-6 in the playoffs since the Super Bowl, and of course he should be 3-8 because those Cowboy games don't really count, because the Cowboys should have won those. Cowherd is nowhere near the d!ckhead Bayless is.

Rodgers is in the news today because he was critical of some of our wide receivers, calling their effort p!ss poor. I'm seeing this characterized in the media as everything from Rodgers being unhappy that he doesn't have his contract, to him being a poor teammate who kicks WRs under the bus.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the way, Cowherd just came on and he said he likes this aggressive approach from Aaron Rodgers calling out his receivers.

H

HardRightEdge

Freaking Skip Bayless is still whining about the Packers beating the Cowboys in the playoffs because "Dez Bryant caught that ball" in 2014...,
As an FYI, under the latest rule changes it would be a catch, with the rules now more closely respecting the athleticism. From Rule 8, Article 3 of the 2018 Rule Book:

A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) in the field of play, at the sideline, or in the end zone if a player, who is inbounds:

(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and
(c) after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so.

H

HardRightEdge

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-the-packers-ended-up-releasing-jordy-nelson/
Cutting Nelson cleared the cap space to sign Graham.

At the end of the season, the post mortem should not be how Nelson performed in Oakland. It should be how Nelson performed in Oakland compared to how Graham performed in Green Bay. Their 2018 cap costs with their respective teams are roughly equivalent. If we are fortunate, the converstation will not then have to turn to Graham's $12.7 mil 2019 cap number with the $7.3 mil dead cap.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre, far more than Rodgers, was responsible for the Packers not winning another championship with him starting though.

Maybe I missed the context of this comment but I'm confused. Are you saying that Favre is responsible for the Packers not winning more Super Bowls during Rodgers' starting career or Favre's?

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers is in the news today because he was critical of some of our wide receivers, calling their effort p!ss poor. I'm seeing this characterized in the media as everything from Rodgers being unhappy that he doesn't have his contract, to him being a poor teammate who kicks WRs under the bus.

I'm absolutely fine with Rodgers criticizing the rookie receivers for their poor effort in practice. Hopefully it lights a fire under at least one of them. Otherwise it seems Allison, Yancey and Kumerow will stay ahead of them on the depth chart.

Maybe I missed the context of this comment but I'm confused. Are you saying that Favre is responsible for the Packers not winning more Super Bowls during Rodgers' starting career or Favre's?

Really??? Obviously I was talking about Favre being responsible for the Packers not making it to another Super Bowl while he was the starting quarterback.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an FYI, under the latest rule changes it would be a catch
More importantly, under the rules when the game was played, it was not a catch. Anyway, even if he had caught that ball, the game wasn't over. The Packers would have had the ball back.

Rodgers apparently said quite a few things the other day. Talking about how he didn't like the franchise tag, wanted to ditch the hard salary cap in favor of a soft cap plus luxury tax like in the NBA, and said there should be more player mobility. Those comments about the franchise tag and player mobility might sound a little ominous, you could read that as his being frustrated at being stuck in Green Bay. I know he's always said he wants to finish his career here, but still why is he bringing that up? Maybe he just wants to push player rights forward, that seems to be an activist interest of his.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers apparently said quite a few things the other day. Talking about how he didn't like the franchise tag, wanted to ditch the hard salary cap in favor of a soft cap plus luxury tax like in the NBA, and said there should be more player mobility. Those comments about the franchise tag and player mobility might sound a little ominous, you could read that as his being frustrated at being stuck in Green Bay. I know he's always said he wants to finish his career here, but still why is he bringing that up? Maybe he just wants to push player rights forward, that seems to be an activist interest of his.

In my opinion it was especially interesting hear him talk about the franchise tag as the Packers could use it on him down the road. A soft cap like in the NBA would be a terrible idea.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm absolutely fine with Rodgers criticizing the rookie receivers for their poor effort in practice. Hopefully it lights a fire under at least one of them. Otherwise it seems Allison, Yancey and Kumerow will stay ahead of them on the depth chart.

Really??? Obviously I was talking about Favre being responsible for the Packers not making it to another Super Bowl while he was the starting quarterback.

Yes, really! Your post could have been read to mean that Favre sticking around meant that the Packers didn't build enough youth during Rodger's first few seasons so that, by the time Rodgers took over, the team wasn't as stocked with talent as it could have been.

And while what you say about Favre is true, I will forgive him that terrible flaw since without him the team wouldn't have been to any Super Bowls during the 90's.

Latest posts