Valdes-Scantling

D

Deleted member 6794

Given the lack of talent at the position now, I hope that we don't have to just rely on a rookie, even a high round one, to improve in 2020 at WR. I do think a high pick needs to be used for the future of the position though.

Hard to tell who will actually be available in Free Agency at this point, guys get signed, guys get cut, etc. I wouldn't close the door on the idea of finding a solid #2 WR outside of the draft.

I would prefer the Packers to sign a tight end in free agency and use the draft to address the wide receiver position.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given the lack of talent at the position now, I hope that we don't have to just rely on a rookie, even a high round one, to improve in 2020 at WR. I do think a high pick needs to be used for the future of the position though.

Hard to tell who will actually be available in Free Agency at this point, guys get signed, guys get cut, etc. I wouldn't close the door on the idea of finding a solid #2 WR outside of the draft.

I would close the door on finding a #2 with a future...an older dependable #2 that should hopefully be overcome in a year or two I think is best bet and paired with a solid draft pick.

I'd personally love to see our WR entering camp top 6 be (in no specific order): Adams, FA guy like mentioned, High (first two rounds) Draft pick, Lazard, MVS, EQ....throw in for competition still Kumerow/another drafted WR and possibly Ryan Grant IF he progresses in the book and with AR (best case is he isn't needed though)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer the Packers to sign a tight end in free agency and use the draft to address the wide receiver position.

That's precisely why I think a surefire solid #2 WR isn't happening, if we spend on an offensive weapon it will be TE....even then I think a lot depends on what the team truly thinks they have in Jace/Tonyan and perhaps keeping Big Dog aka Lewis another year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers will spend big money on a FA WR, but I do thing it would be wise to spend middle of the Road money on a capable #2 WR. All that could change in the next 4+ weeks if we see anyone not named Adams contribute a lot. However, much like this season, I think it would be a mistake to enter 2020 with the same group of WR's and just add a high draft pick and a few UDFA's to the mix. Over relying on Rookies is not something I want to have to do.

Reaction score
As far as players regressing.. normally when a player regresses someone else steps into the spotlight. It seems Lazard has taken upon that role. He may have a better ceiling than MVS. He certainly seems more versatile.

I’m wondering what the heck is going on with a Ryan Grant? While he’s admittedly not a perimeter Wideout, I would think he would’ve been integrated as a slot receiver by now.

Speaking of depth options. What happened to our #75 pick TE?

Lots of ? marks around the receiving options for this late in the season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Lots of ? marks around the receiving options for this late in the season.

Really not as many as we started the year with. Unfortunately, most of the "answers" we got to those questions, were not that positive. But what do you expect from a young and inexperienced group? Basically, what we have received has been what should have been expected, inconsistent and unreliable results.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m wondering what the heck is going on with a Ryan Grant? While he’s admittedly not a perimeter Wideout, I would think he would’ve been integrated as a slot receiver by now.

Why Grant hasn't seen the field is also a mystery to me. Perhaps they want to give our developing players the opportunity first while they integrate Grant slowly in practice. Who knows? I was excited to see us get him and now it's been puzzling that they haven't used him at all. He'd be a definite upgrade over Allison IMO.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why Grant hasn't seen the field is also a mystery to me. Perhaps they want to give our developing players the opportunity first while they integrate Grant slowly in practice. Who knows? I was excited to see us get him and now it's been puzzling that they haven't used him at all. He'd be a definite upgrade over Allison IMO.

He has to either be lacking in playbook or chemistry...as I doubt he has any injury issue or you think we'd hear or learn of it.

Reaction score
You don't pay attention much do you? :laugh: Sad truth is his injury set him back in a big way. 2020 will be the year we see what we got IMO.
Pay attention to what? I don’t see anything saying he’s out until 2020. He was just listed as inactive against the 49ers 10 days ago and at practice last week.
Are you saying he suffered a season ending injury since then?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pay attention to what? I don’t see anything saying he’s out until 2020. He was just listed as inactive against the 49ers 10 days ago and at practice last week.

He was injured up until like 2 weeks or 3 weeks ago so pretty much missed a HUGE chunk.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was injured up until like 2 weeks or 3 weeks ago so pretty much missed a HUGE chunk.
Link??

a quick google search shows several articles listing him as a healthy scratch for his first 2 weeks here. I did see that he missed a day of practice last week.... but your assertion that he has been out due to injury does not appear to be true.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Link??

a quick google search shows several articles listing him as a healthy scratch for his first 2 weeks here. I did see that he missed a day of practice last week.... but your assertion that he has been out due to injury does not appear to be true.
Really???
The Green Bay Packers have activated Jace Sternberger to the roster after missing the first half of the season on injured reserve.

I'll hedge my bet that you were thinking of Grant.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's precisely why I think a surefire solid #2 WR isn't happening, if we spend on an offensive weapon it will be TE....even then I think a lot depends on what the team truly thinks they have in Jace/Tonyan and perhaps keeping Big Dog aka Lewis another year.

The Packers need to add a #1 receiving tight end next season. They shouldn't rely on the development of Tonyan and Sternberger to upgrade the position.

As far as players regressing.. normally when a player regresses someone else steps into the spotlight. It seems Lazard has taken upon that role. He may have a better ceiling than MVS. He certainly seems more versatile.

Hopefully the Packers front office isn't premature on relying on Lazard to fill the spot behind Adams on the depth chart based on his performance against the Giants.

MVS had more less the same stat line vs. the Niners and Patriots last season but hasn't been able to live up to expectations in 2019.

Trust me, if Grant would present a definite upgrade over Allison he would be active on game days.

As Poppa just posted Sternberger spent the first half of the season on injured reserve. That definitely hindered his development during his rookie campaign.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am thinking that Lazard is very good. I loved the way he slid into the open space last game for a 15 yard gain. He just made himself open. He has good hands and a determination to get to the ball. I'm not going to underestimate him based on his draft status. And I see no reason at all to spend high draft capital on a TE. We have more important needs. Sternberger was a 3rd rounder with good size. I hope they start giving him some playing time. Time to start using Graham sparingly. Prediction: Geronimo is going to start to play a bigger role. Yes, I am going out on a limb.

D

Deleted member 6794

And I see no reason at all to spend high draft capital on a TE. We have more important needs. Sternberger was a 3rd rounder with good size. I hope they start giving him some playing time. Time to start using Graham sparingly.

The Packers should address the tight end position in free agency next offseason. It's fine to have two players capable of developing into good ones at the position in Tonyan and Sternberger but I don't want to enter next year with them at the top of the depth chart.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trust me, if Grant would present a definite upgrade over Allison he would be active on game days.

That's flawed reasoning. As we've seen, Lazard is an upgrade over almost all the other WR's not named Adams, it took WEEKS for LaFleur and the team to acknowledge this and correct me if I'm wrong, needed an Aaron Rodgers plea for this to occur.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's flawed reasoning. As we've seen, Lazard is an upgrade over almost all the other WR's not named Adams, it took WEEKS for LaFleur and the team to acknowledge this and correct me if I'm wrong, needed an Aaron Rodgers plea for this to occur.
that's in your eyes and I brought this up before, but more talent doesn't mean you'll be better for the team on the field. he was making big mistakes in the preseason. Mistakes that cause turnovers. even in the last game on a WR screen, he wasn't on the same page. a safer "miss" but you can't be zigging regularly when you need to be zagging. you need to consistently be where you're supposed to be and know your role inside and out within an offense or you just aren't that good.

I don't think these coaches are keeping people on the bench because they don't know any better. I think it's because they know a good play here and there does not make for a sustainable, consistent and effective offense. Players have to earn it.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's in your eyes and I brought this up before, but more talent doesn't mean you'll be better for the team on the field. he was making big mistakes in the preseason. Mistakes that cause turnovers. even in the last game on a WR screen, he wasn't on the same page. a safer "miss" but you can't be zigging regularly when you need to be zagging. you need to consistently be where you're supposed to be and know your role inside and out within an offense or you just aren't that good.

I don't think these coaches are keeping people on the bench because they don't know any better. I think it's because they know a good play here and there does not make for a sustainable, consistent and effective offense. Players have to earn it.

I agree to an extent, you can't shelter talent for the fear of making mistakes in all circumstances. If so, Favre would have never seen the light of day. I think there's something to be said about Rodgers vouching for this guy and maybe a bit of the culture in the dressing room that sheltered Lazard.

Graham is playing over Tonyan and co. when clearly he's lost a step.
Ty Montgomery started over Jamaal, who started over Aaron Jones despite the fact that we could all see once Aaron Jones had the opportunity to carry the rock that he was the talent in that room.
There's probably other examples, those are just some there on the top of my head.

Obviously we've been ok, we're 9-3, how much does all this really matter I suppose.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fortunately, it appears that Lazzard May be catching on .... but I agree that he probably needed the time to catch on to the offense before he was given more playing time.

D

Deleted member 6794

While Grant might be more talented than Allison it's pretty obvious the coaching staff isn't convinced he would make a bigger impact.

superdan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just watched the highlights of Packers last season on YouTube. I cannot believe how many of the highlights in the first 5 or 6 weeks were MVS. It's mind-blowing how he completely disappeared after making so many impact plays early on. I'm hopeful he gets a fresh start whenever football returns and shows he belongs.

Members online

Latest posts