Valdes-Scantling

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

As a staunch defender of Aaron Rodgers through the dark days, I can say this was a terrible throw, one of his worst deep balls in my recollection. It seems most of his worst deep throws are in MVS's direction, underthrows and overthrows. There seems to remain a chemistry/calibration problem that goes beyond the route running. It's disappointing to say the least. But you can't change the QB so you have to look to other options.
If it's any consolation, Brees missed an open Ginn today on a very similar throw...threw inside for no good reason right at the safety. Must be the wind. ;)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS made a nice move and catch on a ten yard out to the left. That long pass...Rodgers overthrew him but MVS did not even try to stay inbounds. It would have been very difficult but he should know to try.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
would have been impossible to stay inbounds. it wasn't close.
of course, Rodgers threw it LOL

The ball was right there at the end line. maybe had he been running to the spot instead of needing to speed up at the end he'd have been under more control when he got there? People make that catch in this league.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

MVS made a nice move and catch on a ten yard out to the left. That long pass...Rodgers overthrew him but MVS did not even try to stay inbounds. It would have been very difficult but he should know to try.
You're parroting Collingsworth. Don't do that. Take my advice and do not listen to Collingsworth. He's so wrong so often it's a mystery how he keeps this job. He got off to a flying start in this game telestrating a guy making a nice run stop who wasn't even in the play.

I'm not sure how a receiver in full stride meeting the ball at the end line is supposed to stop on a dime. It was a terrific throw, just a tick late. The fact of the matter is throws with 55 yards of air under them to the back line have no margin for error whatsoever.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
wish AR would overthrow him with more field left. but noooo he always underthrows MVS and makes him slow or wait for the ball, giving the DB a chance to catch up. The one time he overthrows is out of the end zone.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how a receiver in full stride meeting the ball at the end line is supposed to stop on a dime. It was a terrific throw, just a tick late. The fact of the matter is throws with 55 yards of air under them to the back line have no margin for error whatsoever.
yes it was. terrific. just a tad late and a tad too deep. then he first touches the ball his foot is out of bounds. if you're quick with the pause button you can see it here...
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

yes it was. terrific. just a tad late and a tad too deep. then he first touches the ball his foot is out of bounds. if you're quick with the pause button you can see it here...
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
It might not have been too deep had the throw been a tick earlier. If it gets there a little earlier MVS could have slowed down a tick for the ball and had a shot at making a stutter step. No chance going full tilt boogie.

Reaction score
Rodgers overthrew him but MVS did not even try to stay inbounds
I agree. While it could’ve been thrown a smidge better or sooner etc.. a great WR always knows where the marker is at. He didn’t even attempt to put his feet down together (even out of bounds). He would’ve been better off laying out and scraping his feet even had the pass went over him. IMO he didn’t know he was out because he lacks experience.
I’m not saying it was an easy play to make, but replaying it he could’ve made a play on the ball. There are more than a few receivers who would’ve sacrificed themselves laying out. Randall Cobb makes that catch 2 out of 4 times, and is closer on all 4 attempts. He’s got better awareness and body control.
Catching it and hopping out by 1 foot is far worse than laying out and missing the catch because it would’ve shown some awareness. He simply wasn’t aware of where his feet were as noted by his foot placement.
After releasing our #2 (Cobb)We only have 1 true WR. The rest are #3’s n 4’s on a good day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I said it before and I'll say it again. Do not let Collisworth's mouth cloud your perceptions He was just flat wrong. I'm out.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collinsworth had nothing to do with my perception. When I watched it live, I felt the same way Mondio and Old School do. I think it would have been a very difficult catch, but MVS did not even attempt to keep his feet in bounds. He should have at least attempted to lay out instead of running full speed past the end line. Either he had no idea where it was, or he can’t process all of that information fast enough to do what is necessary to have even a small chance at catching it. Perhaps it was uncatchable, but it definitely was the way he tried. I think some of the same processing problems are evident every time he has to attempt a contested catch in the field of play. He is not terrible, but I don’t think he will ever have that “it factor “ that some of the top receivers have.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. While it could’ve been thrown a smidge better or sooner etc.. a great WR always knows where the marker is at. He didn’t even attempt to put his feet down together (even out of bounds). He would’ve been better off laying out and scraping his feet even had the pass went over him. IMO he didn’t know he was out because he lacks experience.
I’m not saying it was an easy play to make, but replaying it he could’ve made a play on the ball. There are more than a few receivers who would’ve sacrificed themselves laying out. Randall Cobb makes that catch 2 out of 4 times, and is closer on all 4 attempts. He’s got better awareness and body control.
Catching it and hopping out by 1 foot is far worse than laying out and missing the catch because it would’ve shown some awareness. He simply wasn’t aware of where his feet were as noted by his foot placement.
After releasing our #2 (Cobb)We only have 1 true WR. The rest are #3’s n 4’s on a good day.

I totally agree with you and I like the Cobb comparison

EXCEPT that Cobb has more experience and body control, as you mentioned BUT ALSO...

MVS is 6'5

i think it's harder for a guy that tall to make a play like that then a guy like Cobb who's 5'10.

But this is again why I think(as i mentioned in another thread) a 5'10-6' "track star" type of guy

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah don’t listen to a guy who played the position at a very high level for 8 years in the league, listen to some internet dude. Same reaction I hear when some Cliff Clavin type goes off on Aikman not knowing what he’a talking about.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
That's not true if he would be able to catch some of those deep balls.
Maybe his QB should learn to lead him down the field instead of throwing short and making the passes contested most of the time. AR overthrows the slower receivers and under throws his speed receivers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe his QB should learn to lead him down the field instead of throwing short and making the passes contested most of the time. AR overthrows the slower receivers and under throws his speed receivers.

Rodgers definitely deserves some blame for MVS not having had an impact over the past few games.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It might not have been too deep had the throw been a tick earlier. If it gets there a little earlier MVS could have slowed down a tick for the ball and had a shot at making a stutter step. No chance going full tilt boogie.
FWIW, LaFleur said MVS has to be more aware of where his feet are at in that situation. Of course if the throw gets there sooner it’s moot, but we need guys that can make special plays. Obviously the head coach felt like it was a make-able play.

It’s okay if you disagree with that, just throwing it out there that clearly he had higher expectations for MVS on that play.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW, LaFleur said MVS has to be more aware of where his feet are at in that situation. Of course if the throw gets there sooner it’s moot, but we need guys that can make special plays. Obviously the head coach felt like it was a make-able play.

It’s okay if you disagree with that, just throwing it out there that clearly he had higher expectations for MVS on that play.

He’s absolutely right, but in my own words MVS is nothing more than a #3 wr who occasionally catches a Deep pass.

Members online

Latest posts