Under 28 Lineup

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have been the youngest team in the league for a while now. Time to add that veteran or two to put them over the hump and win a Super Bowl.

In 1995/96 the Packers traded for Eugene Robinson and added Santana Dotson. Wolf added the right veterans to make the young team Super Bowl Champs.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Psychic Prediction: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sparta asks me "which veterans the Packers need" then quotes an obscure statistic about how the 1972 Dolphins didn't sign any free-agents the offseason before going undefeated.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, skip the 1972 Dolphins part and tell me which veterans we should trade/sign from free agency to replace our starters with?

OP
OP
aaronqb

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have been the youngest team in the league for a while now. Time to add that veteran or two to put them over the hump and win a Super Bowl.

In 1995/96 the Packers traded for Eugene Robinson and added Santana Dotson. Wolf added the right veterans to make the young team Super Bowl Champs.

no doubt

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting timing of this article, considering this particular thread. It compares the differences in strategy between us and the Jets:

Green Bay Packers, New York Jets take opposite approaches to team-building | greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Press-Gazette

Not saying one way is better than the other when it comes to building a team, but it will be interesting to see how the Jets do in the future with the loss of a lot of their lower draft picks.

FWIW, we were largely considered a top team to win it all before the injury bug bit us in the ***. We did it without making a bunch of trades of signing a bunch of one year rentals.

Just sayin.

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This got me thinking about the niners of years past.

Anyone remember that one draft where bill walsch traded back every single time he had a pick like rounds 1-3and built his team in like round 4-7? I remember the niner gm saying sometime later that he thought that was the worst draft he had ever seen at the time. But it turned out to be possibly the best. ^hey built their secondary, and many other areas on the team right there.

I hate the niners, especially because I live in cali, but R.I.P. Bill Walsch, in my eyes the best coach I have been alive to see...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The data says that building through the draft is the better way to go. That doesn't mean you can't win a Super Bowl the way the Jets are doing it - you can almost always point to an exception to a rule. But, pretty much all of the most successful teams were built primarily through the draft - the 49ers of the 1980s; the Cowboys of the early 1990s; the Patriots and the Steelers of the past decade.

Injuries suck, but unfortunately, it's not something that can be controlled very much. Maybe next year we get the benefit of fewer injuries.

Exactly correct, yet we keep hearing people insist that this team NEEDS to make some kind of big splash in free agency in order for us to compete. No, we don't. We don't need to sign outside talent to get us over the hump. I'm sorry, but the guys we had before injuries can do it.

The Patriots, Colts, Steelers and Chargers are all examples of teams that have been top competitors this past decade, and did so without making a ton of moves in free agency. A move here or there, and that's it. Guess what? That's what we do too. And, if healthy, we're a damn good team *right now*.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly correct, yet we keep hearing people insist that this team NEEDS to make some kind of big splash in free agency in order for us to compete. No, we don't. We don't need to sign outside talent to get us over the hump. I'm sorry, but the guys we had before injuries can do it.

The Patriots, Colts, Steelers and Chargers are all examples of teams that have been top competitors this past decade, and did so without making a ton of moves in free agency. A move here or there, and that's it. Guess what? That's what we do too. And, if healthy, we're a damn good team *right now*.
I believe, even with injuries, we can win against anyone anywhere.

We do need better preparation and coaching decision. Last game, both were vastly improved. Let's hope it continues through the season, and postseason...

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, skip the 1972 Dolphins part and tell me which veterans we should trade/sign from free agency to replace our starters with?

I wouldn't mind a veteran offensive lineman and outside linebacker.

You have to figure Clifton and Tauscher are both done after this year, leaving Bulaga and Lang as the only tackles on the roster. I would like a veteran to challenge Lang at RT. One name on the horizon is Logan Mankins. If the Pats don't franchise him, the Packers can sign him without giving up anything.

Brad Jones was injured at the beginning of last year and is now on IR. Frank Zombo is progressing, but is very young. A proven veteran OLB to pair with Matthews seems logical.

I agree with building through the draft. If you the Packers add a veteran or two, TT could draft the best player available instead of drafting to fill a need.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not asking for "a ton of moves in free agency". A "move here or there" is all I'm asking for.

I'm glad you think Clifton at LT next year and whoever is healthy at OLB can get the Packers to the Super Bowl and win. I don't.

Members online

Latest posts